Ricky Rubio (ESP)

Topic #45905 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Was Mills robbed?

Reply #763059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty was absolutely robbed on this one. Should've been in over Fournier for sure

Reply #763062 | Report this post

Miloš Obilić  
Years ago

Mills lost to Fournier because of the bronze medal match. If Australia got bronze, Mills would have been in there. Australia wouldn't have got this far without Mills, but he did some bad plays at the end against Spain & France.

Reply #763063 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Mills wasn't great down the stretch of the two games that counted!

He did have a great tourney but france winning gives Evan the nod.

Reply #763065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because France won doesn't mean Fournier should've been included. If that is the case then Patty should be included over Bogdan.

Reply #763066 | Report this post

Miloš Obilić  
Years ago

Fournier top scored to beat the US. Patty choked at the end against Spain & France. Bogdanović was tournament top scorer.

Reply #763071 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One of Bogdan, Fournier or Mills was going to miss out, if we're assuming Rubio is safe. Bogdan finished with 28 against the USA and 31 in his final game.

Reply #763073 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Patty the 2nd leading scorer in the tourney, one point behind Bogdanovic. Shot the ball at 50% including 40% from 3. Was easily Australia's best player across the tournament, and was excellent in the QF, the SF, plus the group wins vs France and Lithuania.

Fournier averaged 3ppg less than Patty and shot 42% from the field. Shot around 35% across France’s three finals games, where Gobert and De Colo were their best players in their two key wins (QF vs US and last night).

Is this called "kicking a man while he’s down"?

FIBA really is inviting people to accuse them of Euro bias....

What a joke.

Reply #763085 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Personally I think you have to find a spot for Mills in the 5. An absolute standout on a team that finished 4th.

Reply #763087 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Patty choked at the end against Spain & France"

If his 49 points on 46% shooting in the medal round was a choke that excludes him (and yeah, I get you're talking about late in games), then Fournier's 32 points on 32% shooting in the medal round must be classed as full-game chokes that exclude him, no?

Reply #763090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Rubio was bad early in the tournament and even towards the end I didn't think he was dominant.

For a large part of the tournament I thought Spain were better with Llull on over Rubio. I wouldn’t even have him in my all star 5, let alone MVP.

Gasol deserves MVP for his semi final heroics.

Reply #763129 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Patty pretty much identical stats to Bogdan, one player carries a team to over-perform, the other on a hugely under-performing team. Seem pretty unfair to me.

Reply #763143 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I wouldn't say Serbia losing one game and finishing 5th is a massive underachievement.

Reply #763146 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Results will also be skewed by teams performance
Rubio is Spain's best player, Spain is the best team, it makes sense.

Reply #763154 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Well Serbia were second favourite, moving to favourite throughout the tourney. Australia started 11th favourite.

Reply #763155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Results will also be skewed by teams performance
Rubio is Spain's best player, Spain is the best team, it makes sense."

That woulds be fair but then by the same logic Australia is better than Serbia so Patty is more deserving than Bogdan

Reply #763164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty was robbed. Either it's judged mostly on individual performance, in which case Bogdan and Patty are in. Or it's team performance in which was Fournier and Patty are in. He was exceptional and the Boomers probably weren't even a top-8 team without him. Neither Bogdan nor Evan elevated their team as much as Patty did the Boomers.

Reply #763181 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus hopes you watched all games not just the Boomers games.
Who do you take out for Patty ? Rubio - no, Gasol - no, Bogdan - no, Scola - no
It essentially was Patty or Fournier, France medalled, so Fournier in.

Reply #763183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia, ranked 11th in the world, finishes 4th in the world cup without a player worthy of All-Star 5....hmmmm!

Reply #763199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis coach of the tournament by that logic then!

Reply #763202 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Patty was robbed. Either it's judged mostly on individual performance, in which case Bogdan and Patty are in. Or it's team performance in which was Fournier and Patty are in.]

This bears repeating.

My argument for Patty over Fournier was that Patty was more valuable to his team, and played better overall. If the reply is "Well France finished higher" then why the heck did Bogdanovic make it over Patty?

Reply #763205 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not saying this was it, but it could be a factor:

Mills: 22.8 PPG, 2.3 RPG, 3.9 APG.
Fournier: 19.8 PPG, 3.8 RPG, 3 APG
Bogdanovic: 22.9 PPG, 4.1 RPG, 4.4 APG

Bogdan was the best of the three in each of those major statistical categories. Maybe that gave him an edge, then whichever of Fournier or Mills took the bronze was the other spot.

FWIW,
Rubio: 16.4 PPG, 4.6 RPG, 6 APG
Gasol: 14.4 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 4.1 APG

Reply #763211 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Patty shot 50% from the field and 86% free throws

Fournier 42% and 72%.

Patty had more turnovers, but really, factoring in overall stats, it's not even close.

Neither is it close in their impact. Gobert dominated against the USA, De Colo was their best vs Australia, and Fournier went missing, shooting 32% over their semi final and bronze match. He was too fatigued from Delly's intense defense that he couldn't consistently hit layups against us!

With 32 teams in the comp, it's a wonder they don't do a 2nd team. If they did, Patty would be a certainty and Ingles would be likely. Baynes would be in the mix too- but his chances would be hurt by his injury and only playing 13 minutes in the last game.

Reply #763354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Euro baskets World Cup awards, did a second team and Mills and Inglis were in it, Baynes got honourable mention.

Reply #763359 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Hard to say without knowing who voted, how, and why?

I can easily make a case for not including Patty. What I can't do is make a case for Fournier over Mills.

The only thing I can think of is that they have picked according to the formula: PG, 2 wings, PF, C??

I only suggest that becuase the Argie PG, Campazzo(?) and even the Serbian were probably stiffed.

I suspect, as some have alluded to above, that Founrnier got more "votes" because they finished on a win.

Reply #763360 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:50 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754