LC
Years ago

Opals named for FIBA Asia Cup

The squad includes a trio of WNBA stars, including recently named Most Improved Player Leilani Mitchell of the Phoenix Mercury. She links with Rebecca Allen (New York) and Stephanie Talbot (Minnesota) as those returning to the Opals fold after playing in the US.

Opals named for FIBA Asia Cup redemption

Topic #45932 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Phoenix crapping out of the WNBA so meekly has its advantages for the Opals.
That's a very solid team.

Rebecca Allen - New York Liberty
Abby Bishop - JCU Townsville Fire
Sara Blicavs - Southside Flyers
Katie Ebzery - Perth Lynx
Darcee Garbin - JCU Townsville Fire
Cayla George - Deakin Melbourne Boomers
Ezi Magbegor - Deakin Melbourne Boomers
Leilani Mitchell - Phoenix Mercury
Lauren Nicholson - Adelaide Lightning
Jenna O'Hea - Southside Flyers
Nicole Seekamp - Adelaide Lightning
Stephanie Talbot - Minnesota Lynx

ASIA CUP GROUP GAME SCHEDULE:
Tuesday, September 24 v Philippines - Tip-off at 5:45pm (AEST)
Wednesday, September 25 v New Zealand – Tip-off at 5:45pm (AEST)
Thursday, September 26 v China – Tip-off at 8:00pm (AEST)

ASIA CUP FINALS SCHEDULE:
Winner of group advances. 2nd and 3rd place teams to play on Friday, September 27.
Semi-final on Saturday, September 28.
Final on Sunday, September 29.

Reply #763906 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Time for a she-brawl.

Reply #763908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think Seekamp, Garbin or Bishop will be in the team beyond Asia cup.
No Cambage, Tolo and the last guard spot is wide open for Tokyo. With Cole and Garrick focusing on 3x3 it seems, you’d think the coaching staff is hopeing Wallace has a solid half season in the wnbl. I can’t think of anyone else, except maybe a much improved Lavey.

Reply #763911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"time for a she-brawl"
Perthworld posting more dumb shit in a worthless attempt at humour.

Reply #763912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cole and Garrick are only focusing on 3x3 because they weren't picked for the Opals. Garrick was not selected in the Opals squad at all this year, and Cole was selected initially but cut after the first camp (the only person cut after the first camp, in fact). One can only assume that Sandy and the Opals staff don't like Cole and Garrick's skill set, and prefer Lavey, Madgen, Wilson, Tupea etc. over them.

Reply #763916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think that’s the case. She’s taken none of those listed and cut them early.

Reply #763917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, all those guards listed made it way further down the Opals path than Cole and Garrick.
Lavey, Madgen, Tupea etc. were invited to the Asia Cup selection camp in Phoenix. Cole and Garrick were not invited to this selection camp, so I can only assume Sandy did not consider them viable options for the Asia Cup.

Reply #763918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No real replacement for Cole or Garrick in 3x3. if there was, I think we'd see one of them in the opals.

Reply #763919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think BA care much about 3x3, or they would have sent the Aussie team to more of the recent tournaments to get points. We have attended 2 when other teams have gone to 8 or more. At the moment the Aussie team is not even certain to make the olympic qualifying tournament given their poor world ranking (solely due to not playing in enough points-earning tournaments). Also, the 3x3 team don't even have a name (i.e. Opals, Gems), nor do they have a dedicated page on the BA website.

Besides, there are no 3x3 events that clash with the Asia Cup, so there is no reason Cole and/or Garrick could not have been selected to give them some Opals experience.

If the 3x3 team don't make the Olympics (a good bet given their small odds of making the qualifying tournie then actually winning a spot), then surely it will be too late to for Garrick and Cole to have a shot at making the Opals. They won't have been to any camps, played in any games with the other players, know any of the plays, nor had much exposure with the coaches. These 2 would be way behind any other guards.

Reply #763920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol, a 3x3 tournament is happening right now...

https://australia.basketball/blog/2019/09/21/fiba-3x3-wws-australia-split-first-two-games-in-tokyo/

Reply #763921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, only the 2nd one the Aussies have played in. There have been like 15 tournaments over the past few months that all the Euro and US teams have played in and earned points, but BA didn't find it necessary to send a team to. Meanwhile the Aussies have slipped further and further down the rankings, and a quick check tells me we are currently 26th in the world. At this current ranking we may be too lowly ranked to even make the 20-team olympic qualifying tournie.

Besides, if it is true that Garrick and Cole have been excluded from the Opals because of 3x3 that's pretty messed up to do it and not give them a choice. I suspect both Cole and Garrick would eagerly pick Opals over 3x3.

Reply #763922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well 3x3 sucks, so I understand BA's possible apathy.

Reply #763923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure, I agree BA seem apathetic to 3x3. Most people don't even know it exists so I can understand why BA don't want to spend money on it, and why they perhaps aren't too concerned with ensuring the Aussie teams make the olympics.

So given this seeming BA 3x3 apathy, I don't really buy into the theory that Cole and Garrick are not even in the conversation for Opals contention because BA are insisting they play 3x3. It just seems like Sandy and the rest of the coaches don't rate Cole and Garrick and have put a line through their names. Which, hey, they are the coaches and can pick who they want so fair play to them. And the Opals are coming off a silver medal at worlds so Sandy has a good track record. If the Opals win the Asia Cup then maybe it proves that Cole and Garrick aren't needed, and there will be no reason to consider them for the olympics anyway.

Reply #763926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sandy always takes 3 pgs. Both Garrick and Cole are sgs,

Mitchell is the starter, Ebzery now becomes the backup and Seekamp is the limited minUte 3rd option.
Talbot and Allen have solidified there position at 2 and 3 from the WC.
Nicholson has earnt her spot as a sg or forward with consistancy on both ends of the floor over the last year and ohea is the vet g/f.

Both ohea and Mitchell are adios after Tokyo so we are likely to see Whitcomb come back in, Ebzery goes back to number 1 pg and so once again theres not really any room for a sg, only a new pg.

Reply #763927 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Sorry but Ebzery is one that shouldn't be there
Also how does Tupuea continue to get camp invites when she’s injured for every one she attends .

Watching the 3x3 yesterday and they were smashed by the Netherlands because everyone on the 3x3 team played as an individual, I’d say that’s possibly why Cole and to a degree Garrick didn’t go further
They will have a tough job ahead to get to the qualifying stages for the olympics if that’s how they are going to play . Cole has had a standout 12 months and certainly worked hard at her 3x3 game but it’s translating into too much of a "I can do it all" attitude on court
Garrick is a classy player to watch not sure why she didn’t get further, so again you have to wonder does this 3x3 game change their mentality and push them away from a team mindset
Künek has always had that mindset so she’s in her element playing 3x3 lol

Reply #763931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebzery has been super solid, don't think you can question her spot. without her we would not win a silver last year at the WC. an injury to Mitchell put Ebzery as the starter and Mansfield should have never had a shot, falling to injury just before the tournament. Madgen couldn’t even bring the ball:over half way comfortably. Lavey only played limited minutes but look way better than Madgen.
Ebzery played huge minutes and did a great job coming from the 2 spot.

Reply #763933 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Are these games on FTA/livestream or only on Fox?

Reply #763934 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

They were on the 3x3 YouTube channel just type in 3x3 Tokyo YouTube comes right up
Funny as F commentary though lol

Reply #763971 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Thanks. I was asking for the Asia Cup games.

Reply #763973 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Asia Cup games on Fox Sports and via Kayo.

Reply #763982 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Thumbs up for free Kay trial then!

Reply #763983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is Asia Cup expected to be a two horse race between the Opals and Japan, or does anyone else have a shot too?

Reply #764017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz has a slim shot.

Cocks/Leger-Walker
Farnworth/Karatiana/Fotu
Beck/Taylor/Paalvast
Purcell/Boagni
Davidson/West

They beat Japan last month.

Japan have tokashiki back but have lost Fujioka and regained veteran yoshida.

Reply #764029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Machida'

Reply #764030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seekamp not good enough for this level. Her ball handling is suspect, on par bwith Madgen last year and she can't playbdefense or shoot.
bishop also seems a little flat footed.

No chance for Tokyo.
Cambage, Tolo, Smith, Griffin, Whitcomb, Wallace all N/A

Reply #764504 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Can't believe Bishop or Seekamp made the cut, both are out of their depth

Reply #764518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We don't have anyone better than Seekamp that is available for this tournament

Reply #764525 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Bishop has played multiple WNBA seasons so I hardly think she's out of her depth at the Asia Cup.

Opals start with a 123-57 thrashing of the Philippines.
Boxscore:
http://www.fiba.basketball/womensasiacup/2019/game/2409/Australia-Philippines
(why doesn't this board let me post that as a hyperlink in html?)

Reply #764528 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Because your IP is associated with spam I think. Same was happening to me until Isaac manually fixed it.

Reply #764535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Can't believe Bishop or Seekamp made the cut, both are out of their depth"

Oh dear.

Reply #764537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebzery / Madgen / Lavey
Talbot / Whitcomb
Allen / Ohea
George / Smith / Magbegor
Cambage / Bunton

Mitchell / Seekamp
Ebzery / Nicholson
Ohea / Talbot
Allen / Blicavs / Garbin
George / Magbegor / Bishop

Mitchell / Ebzery / Wallace
Ohea / Nicholson
Allen / Talbot / Blicavs
George / Magbegor
Cambage / Tolo

Reply #764545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like your 2020 squad, one exception, Smith in, Blicavs out

Reply #764551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think it will be close as Blicavs is much more versatile.
Will be interesting to see if Mitchell's form translates to internationals. No doubt bothnwhitcomb and Griffin will want in.

Reply #764552 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Because your IP is associated with spam I think. Same was happening to me until Isaac manually fixed it.

Ahh, cheers.
If my IP is associated with spam it's probably for valid reasons :p

Reply #764607 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:35 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754