Anonymous
Years ago

The new imports thread

For those who have followed preseason which new imports are you most looking forward to seeing this upcoming season?

Roberson of the Phoenix looks the goods to me.
Hopson and Henry from NZ and our next star crop look good too.

Topic #45947 | Report this topic

D2.0  
Years ago

I'll preface this by saying that I haven't looked at the pre-season in any great detail, so I'm waiting for the proper games for the following:

Obviously I am looking forward to seeing Hunt live, and seeing how they use him.

Sek Henry I am excited to see. I threw him in as my tip for MVP, he could be very good in this league.
Interesting to see what Brooks can bring at his age. In theory he could be a class above, but have to see if age or lack of games has slowed him down.
I am intrigued to see Tate. Find out if he's "athletic 4" people claim, and/or if Weaver is just going to run small-ball.

The New Stars will be fascinating to watch. I am disappointed that the Cats aren't participating, and I hope the program is a success.

Not new, but looking forward to seeing how Long, Trimble, and Ware adapt to their new teams

Reply #764407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm so pumped to see all the imports play, it could be the best group of imports to play in the NBL at the same time and by the looks there all hungry to win. I’m keen to see how the Australian and New Zealand players step up including Kendall Stephens. If he keeps improving he could one day play for the boomers.

Reply #764412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stephens would need to get Australian citizenship to play for the Boomers, so would need to lock in and stay a while.

Reply #764415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't Stephens born in Australia?

Reply #764416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That doesn't get you automatic citizenship anymore if you're parents aren't Australian, that law was changed quite a while back.

Reply #764417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh I didn't realise that.
Same as Kyrie Irving then.

Reply #764419 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

From the original NBL press release back in May....

"Kendall, who has spent most of his life in the United States, was born in Australia during his father's NBL stint making him an Australian citizen."

Reply #764420 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Depends on Stephens' mother. If she is an Aussie citizen and he was born in Australia, he is automatically an Aussie citizen at birth.

The difference with Kyrie Irving is that both his parents were American.

Reply #764421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kendall Stephens' mother, Kay, is American.

Reply #764422 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

It is an exciting crop for sure. I'd watch an all-star game of imports who have played 1 or more years vs brand new imports. That would be delicious.

Roberson and Hopson look very good.
Machado has been a bit underwhelming, but expect him to get better.
Brooks will be a scoring machine.
Tate's numbers look good from preseason even though he's undersized.
Hunt looks very mobile and exciting.
Ball and Hampton look like they'll match it with the older bodies.

Haven't seen or looked at the others yet.

Reply #764424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any feedback on Adelaide's imports?

Reply #764430 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I particularky like the ones from overseas!

Honestly, this group of imports is exciiting. Ball and Hampton have lived up to their hype, Didi and Roberson blew me away, all the guards have added to the league. And, it looks like they brought some defence with them. The Fs/Cs are legit and I see all having great roles in their respective teams.

The Aussies, I think, will enjoy playing with them. I noticed advice being shared and the way everyone was helping their teammates.

Reply #764431 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Roberson was so impressive in the Blitz, certainly deserved the MVP.

Reply #764434 | Report this post

Sports Websites  
Years ago

Loving the look at some of these imports this, more variety spread across the boards.

Reply #764435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On Sunday Didi was outstanding. He copped a knock to the left cheek as well pretty hard and played on. He play's D too.

Reply #764487 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Will Obekpa last?

Reply #764567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taylor, Moore, Griffin - Adelaide (all safe)
Singler, Braun, Patterson - Brisbane (all safe)
Machado, Newbill, Oliver - Cairns (all safe)
Brooks, Boone - Illawarra (all safe, one import spot open) NS - Ball
Trimble, Prather, Long - Melbourne (all safe)
Henry, Hopson, Obekpa - NZ (Obekpa on the chopping block) NS - Hampton
Cotton, White, Hunt - Perth (all safe)
Roberson, Wesley, Benson - S.E Melbourne (Benson on the chopping block) NS - Armstrong
Ware, Tate - Sydney (all safe, one import spot open) NS - Louzada

Reply #764569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This article has a quote from Obekpa that his knee is bruised and affecting his minutes but he should be fine by the time the season starts: https://www.nzbreakers.basketball/news/article/nothing-to-be-read-into-results-says-shamir

Reply #764666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone will break down before seasons end.

Reply #764670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth beat Melbourne, Long and Trimble in the minus. Won't get the arse but lot work to do on defence.

Reply #764673 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:03 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754