Isaac
Years ago

United vs Phoenix, Oct 3

The big crosstown opener, though with a few omissions. Prather out (knee), Barlow out (fractured thumb). Gibson (calf) and Armstrong out (foot).

Your pick?

Topic #45993 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being a kings fan I'd like to see sem get the W but I think United will still get up.
Hope it’s close in double overtime
111 to 108

Reply #765695 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Going with United despite the injuries.
1-10.

Reply #765698 | Report this post

K4L  
Years ago

United by 15.

Reply #765705 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

SEM by 11

Reply #765708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lineups?

Roberson, Madgen, Creek , Wesley, Pineau
Trimble, mccarron, Goulding, milner, Long

Reply #765712 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

I would think United would be doing everything humanly possible to keep Smith-Milner off the floor tonight.

Reply #765715 | Report this post

JS  
Years ago

Would United start Jo Lual-Acuil at the 4? Seemed to show a bit in the pre-season.

Reply #765716 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

With those outs I'm leaning SEM now, might take a few games for United to mesh with the new guys.

Reply #765717 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm tipping SEM.

United's pre season has been extremely interrupted and their injuries are concerning- Prather and Barlow will be missed on the defensive end against Wesley and Creek.

Reply #765719 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm tipping SEM but even with the outs United should be strong. Looking forward to seeing how Long and Trimble do defensively, but if Long is matched up against Pineau for long stretches down the other end it probably won't matter.

Reply #765726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, Long on Pineau would be a massacre. Other than this match up SEM could be in it with Barlow and Prather out. Good to see Creek back on the floor.

Reply #765744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is it a sell out

Reply #765755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wesley will match up on Long, Pineau on TSM or JAL at PF.

Reply #765757 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Doubt that. Pineau is pretty much brought in to defend and rebound yeah?

I think he'll do an ok job. I mean Long is one of the best players in the comp.

Reply #765759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wesley knows Long well, I reckon he'll take that job on. A lot of ego there.

Reply #765761 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

A lot rests on Long on the defensive end, and Wesley is very crafty and could draw a few fouls.

Pledger is not the defensicve presence he once was at NZB.

A lot of ifs for SEM...should be MEL comfortably.

Reply #765763 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Someone took over NBL twitter for the last few hours, must be keen for the start of the season!

Bring it on, go Phoenix!

Reply #765772 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Starting to get a bit pumped now only about 30 mins until the season starts!

Reply #765776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope Terry Llamastrong's foot injury isn't too serious and that Casey is back soon too!

Reply #765777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tonight's game on SBS?

Reply #765783 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The rule for TV is that night games are on ESPN (on/after 7:30pm EST tipoff). Day games on SBS Viceland (before 7:30pm EST tipoff).

Reply #765787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhh bugger, was hoping for free to air tonight :(

Reply #765790 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Try SBS On Demand? They stream every game.

Reply #765791 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

OMG is she wearing heels on a basketball court?!?!?!?!?

Reply #765793 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Trying to observe if there's any streaming quality variation between SBS on demand and Kayo...

Reply #765799 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Onscreen clocks still falling out of sync.

Reply #765800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SBS bean clear great coverage, like the score times at bottom as well.

Reply #765801 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Phoenix sorta fell to shit offensively when Wesley came off injured. Hopefully they can turn it around. Trist's shot was somethign that would have got him benched on my Tuesday night squad.

Reply #765802 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I see Tommy the poor diabetic kid is back. The amount of chocolate cake he consumes is unbelievable. Mum needs to keep tabs on his intake

Reply #765803 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Seeing Stacker on an NBL bench again is surreal.

Reply #765806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good game so far. Arguably the best of the season to date.

Reply #765810 | Report this post

cosby  
Years ago

Creek looks like he is too good for this level

Reply #765811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enjoyable game so far, full house, as a basketball fan thank you Larry. ::))

Reply #765812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why arent gaze and russell at the game. Commentating off the tv

Reply #765814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need to do something about this studio for the commentators. It looks straight up terrible when they show them on camera... Takes you completely out of the atmosphere.

Reply #765815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phoenix uniforms look equally as inspired as the GWS and GCS from the AFL . Fuckin horrendous !!!

Reply #765817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch Creek is a star ... early favourite for league MVP .

Reply #765818 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Phoenix away uniform is 10 times better than that home green one!

Reply #765819 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Bad call on Pledger.

Reply #765820 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

After the last few years I can't handle the on screen scoreboard updating in less than 5 seconds. It freaks me out!

Reply #765821 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Bad call? You'd better be taking the piss there, PW

Reply #765823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trist cut by the end of the month. Better off playing small than letting him anywhere near the court.

Reply #765827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A couple of guys who are just out of sync at their new clubs. Ili is offering nothing and trimble will get less and less time if he keeps playing his one on one cairns ball

Reply #765830 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

After the last few years I can't handle the on screen scoreboard updating in less than 5 seconds. It freaks me out!

Earlier I was assuming the score hadn't been updated after a made shot. Now watching it more closely and it's weird. The delay was an NBL staple!

Reply #765831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The scoreboard/timer must be getting it's data from the arena too early... Probably related to the off-site production.

Reply #765832 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Don't worry, the clocks are constantly ahead of the real ones. Then they resync at a stoppage.

Reply #765833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

clocks getting ahead of themselves just like United fans before this game

Reply #765834 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What is ikuro?

Reply #765835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ballsy shot from Mitch!

Reply #765836 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

I think Ikuro is actually Oriant that has been phoenixed.

Reply #765837 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Very nice Splinky.

Reply #765838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

phoenix are f**ked without creek. benson gone for sure

Reply #765839 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Benson is garbage. He has to go.

Reply #765840 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

OT would be fitting.

Reply #765841 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Long with the brain fade.

Reply #765842 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Adnam isn't that smart.

Reply #765843 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

FT MEL 88-91 SEM

Reply #765844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

UTD a real chance to start 0-3

Reply #765845 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Shout out to Angelo the Phoenix head chef.

Reply #765846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good game, Benson and Stephens both very average. Creek mvp. United don't look smart, to many dumb players.

Reply #765847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get rid of benson.

Prather ar the 3, Barlow at the 4

Reply #765850 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Very sloppy but enjoyable game. Creek looks like he's taken a leap post-NBA and World Cup... Missed on a lot of those post up moves up but I like his aggression and 3pt shot. Not sold at all on the Phoenix's depth or Pineau as a starter though. Roberson just plain solid (on one end, at least), and Madgen is still Madgen - frustratingly inconsistent on his open looks, but makes enough to keep the D honest.

To me Melbourne looked like they are still getting a feel for each other overall, but I don't think this game did much to dispel the fears re: some of Melo and Long's weaknesses - the Jekyl & Hyde of their games on full display. IMO they'd have been better off spending big on one of them and getting a more traditional 1 or 5 man rather than 2 guys who both excel on the one end of the court.

Reply #765853 | Report this post

cosby  
Years ago

Very impressive for SEM to get over the line. Creek dominated and roberson is a weapon. Hope Benson has his bag packed he is very soft. Good to have the NBL back.

Reply #765854 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Take aways. SEM WOOO CACHING $$$$

Wesley will be dominant offensively when healthy. Huge load for Creek to carry without him
Dane Pineau has jumped up a level. As a defensive rebounding role player he is perfect.
Trist isn't NBL level. Not sure if he is Big V level at this point.
Benson was ok (better than I thought), but will be gone soon
Creek was freaken outstanding, and there's a reason he's been playing at other levels.
Madgen looks half a step off the pace at both ends.
SEM need another big (import) to help on the boards and defensively.

United were very, very banged up.
Pledger hardly played. Not sure what that's about.
Very talented team that will need some time together.
When they locked in and pressured in d, they gave SEM fits, and I think with their guard depth, they could give any team fits.
They will be a totally different team when Barlow comes back, let alone Prather. They need someone solid in that 4 spot.

Reply #765859 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Cracker of a game, enjoyed it very much! Not much else of substance to add I'm afraid. Bring on the rest of the season!

Reply #765861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke Kendall assistant coach at Phoenix, good for him.
United had bit towel chucking when players were subbed, S-M and Long, got a few out but certainly don't look as team oriented as previous, Barlow should help that but he’s 35.
Trist, Benson and Stephens look average, rest squad will be good if Creek can carry them till Wesley gets back.
Great crowd for first game.

Reply #765862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Screen calling him robson...

Reply #765863 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Creek was brilliant

United out of sorts as expected

Who's United got in round 3? 0-2 Will be ok but don't wanna leave that first win for too long

Reply #765873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She was most likely say Rob-erson because that's how it’s pronounced, not Robe-erson as most are pronouncing it, and it made it sound like Robson

Reply #765878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wasn't really super impressed with Creek when he was last in the NBL. Not saying he was bad or anything, he was overall a very solid and good player but always felt a bit overrated to me.

But jesus he was impressive tonight. Everything he was good at when he was last here has gotten even better, throw in some 3point shooting and this killer mentality on offense. Wow.

Reply #765882 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Let's talk positives for both teams.

Mitch Creek is the Kawhi of the NBL. Elite at both ends, does a bit of everything, versatile and athletic. With an experienced supporting cast you just know they'll be consistently competitive

As far as United goes, nothing to worry about. They did alright considering they were playing without Prather, Barlow and Melo Trimble.

Reply #765883 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I like the comparison - the Kawhi of the NBL. The much-less-athletic white boy Kawhi of the NBL. lol. It still stands. It's accurate. I like it. If he can keep sticking the three ball like that he will be in the MVP conversation.

Another guy whose launched himself into that conversation is Chris Goulding. Suddenly Goulding plays defense. He actually made a few huge defensive plays and was very disruptive. He even locked up Creek a few times. If Goulding can come with this consistently we might be seeing the most surprising DPOY award ever handed out in world history.

It is no huge shock that the guys who've come back from the World Cup are treating the NBL like their own personal playground. For over two months these guys were playing with and against some of the best players in the game. I always thought they'd come back a cut above the competition and they've definitely done that with noticeable improvements in key aspects of their games.

When it comes to the game overall, it was pretty high quality considering both teams missing at least one star and one key contributor each. I'm not too worried about Melbourne's loss or their direction. They'll be in the mix at season's end even if they go 0-2 or 0-3. Phoenix are going to be competitive and around the mark but it's still hard to see them being able to beat Melbourne at full strength. Good signs for the game - on court anyway.

ESPN coverage was BLEH. The game didn't look in HD. I didn't mind the commentary but really didn't like the visuals when cutting to the hub. It was jarring and detracting. If they have to shoot from the Overtime studio, so be it. It would look less an eyesore than whatever they're doing with the hub.

Other than that, 10,000 people tuned in on Facebook Watch - which is more than what used to tune in on Fox Sports just a few years ago. And with all the other ways to see the game, it probably made a fair splash for sponsors and promoters.

Bring on tomorrow - Sydney v Cairns.

Reply #765889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who was that guy sitting next to Tre Armstrong

Reply #765894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne was missing Barlow, Prather, and McDaniel (whos had an impressive pre-season)

Glad SEM got the win to promote the game, but not one bit worried as a United fan.

Reply #765895 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

Creek looks like a different player. I guess that year in the G league did him some good cuz he looks coached up.

Reply #765896 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What has Adelaide doneeeeeeee

Reply #765898 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Melbourne was missing Barlow, Prather, and McDaniel (whos had an impressive pre-season]

McDaniel probably won't be in the rotation once the full lineup is there

I thought the absence of Trimble last night was far more significant

Reply #765899 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why do you keep referring to Trimble not being there, as though United wouldn't have been immeasurably better had he never touched the ball?

Reply #765900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he is trying to make a joke.

Reply #765901 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Appreciated watching for free on SBS but didn't love the constant cuts to the crowd.

Reply #765903 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Reply #765904 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Great opening game.
Wesley's injury could be a concern along with Benson's form for Phoenix.

Reply #765905 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

United will be better once we see the Melo we know, rather than the imposter running around last night

On the other side,Madgen needs to find form, with Wesley missing for a while they can't rely on Creek and Roberson going for 50 every single night

Jury out on Benson. Him and Pineau did ok on the boards, it wasn't until Q4 that Long really started dominating

Reply #765908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melo requires a lot of ball, Prather does, Goulding has earned it, but only one ball at time on the court. Defensively Long got no idea, the trip to USA could help bonding it all but they got a few injuries. Could Melbourne do a Sydney of the last few seasons, spend all the coin and choke.

Reply #765915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant be happy with that. Ordinary telecast compared to Fox last couple of seasons, what was Homicide doing? Gaze and Lamb at the desk, what the??? Below par game. Something was missing.

Reply #765916 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Melo was ok wasn't he?

A lot of turnovers, but I think most are attributed to execution rather than his own play.

I thought he had a bad game for his own standards, but wouldn't call him missing.

Reply #765919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very ordinary game, but will cut some slack as it's the first game. Anybody though who says the NBL is the best competition in the world outside of the NBA is delusional on the back of that. Good Euro teams would pump both teams last night easily.

Reply #765922 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

That may be the case re: good Euro teams, but both sides missing key pieces (SEM when Wesley left the game). If Wesley had stayed in the game I think this would have been a blow out win for SEM. Melbourne are going to take some time to gel offensively. I'm not sure they'll ever be a good defensive team however.

Reply #765927 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Nice one SEM!

Creek was a beast, and looked like he was enjoying every minute, smiling and joking around with teammates and opposition, in contrast Goulding back to his bitching and moaning ways when he clearly fouls someone or doesn't get a call that was never there, the guy is so hate-able.

Long looked real good after a slow start. JLA looked like he can't basketball with rebounds going straight through his hands. MCCarron is going to be the glue that holds United together.

Roberson looks like he consistently will get high difficulty shots off, didn't realise he was that small till Trimble was guarding him. Was yelling at the TV when they had Adnam and Roberson on at the same time to close out the game, both very small guards compared to Trimble and McCarron.

Bummer for Tai, was looking like he was going to dominate.

Reply #765928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good first game for the NBL 20
Creek 1 Goulding 0
4 pt from United's bench
Benson almost had double in 17:37 mins not to bad
Milner 2 pt 20:05

Reply #765929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Benson had a good game of the bench almost had a double in 17 mins he is big and very composed and can draw the foul
he has a similar style to the way Bogut plays. The sem team overall has a golden state fell about it with all the 3 ball getting thrown and with bigs inside.

Reply #765937 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

^^^^^^
Wut

Reply #765941 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Very ordinary game, but will cut some slack as it's the first game. Anybody though who says the NBL is the best competition in the world outside of the NBA is delusional on the back of that. Good Euro teams would pump both teams last night easily."

Both teams missing two big contributors a piece. I am not sure what you would have expected. And I don't think too many people really think the NBL is the second best league in the world on court. That is a marketing slogan and little else.

Reply #765951 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Do you mean double double?

Reply #765955 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Benson gives the Phoenix exactly what they need in theory, but some of those easy misses and mental lapses on D/boxing out in the 4th were costly. He wasn't alone there though - Pineau missed a couple that made Kay's World Cup misses look like contested fadeaways in comparison, and Stephens (and a lesser degree Madgen) also blew some stupidly easy looks inside.

The Phoenix did just about all they could to give United a shot at stealing a win really.

Reply #765959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^^
Wut

Are your eyes deaf?

Reply #765962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's all calm down on the Creek lovefest. He was great, but it's only one game. He had no match-up with Barlow/Prather both out. I don't think he'll be anywhere near as consistent offensively as he was yesterday.

Pretty average first game with all the injuries and awful shooting from Melbourne. United will want to get a win soon because that NBLxNBA trip is going to be brutal for their schedule.

Reply #766023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow and Prather got get on the floor yet, Creek could not do more, until someone shows him up he's leading the mvp.

Reply #766026 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Does anyone know wth Ikuro is yet?

It seems ludicrous to have sponsorship on a top if your "brand" is totally inaccessible.

What's with Phoenix having unannounced sponsors on their top? Is this a similar thing to Melbourne Utd where for the lack of a major sponsor, they have a "game night sponsor".

I wonder why 36ers don't do that, it's a spot that might as well be used?!

Reply #766044 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I asked about Ikuro last night - no one knew. Although the Oraint reference was a classic.

Reply #766062 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Oriant*

Reply #766063 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I wonder why 36ers don't do that, it's a spot that might as well be used?!

They're probably still waiting to hear back from Unleash Solar.

Reply #766066 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Kind of a meh game, nice and close, but too many guys stinking it up.

Ok, so MU have injuries, but this game really exposed their lack of depth, especially at the 4 spot.
Smith-Milner is a spud. If he's the solution for when Barlow is off, then MU have massive problems.

People have been raving about Ili for years, but he's just not that good. As a backup PG perhaps, but why would you give him 25 minutes. If that's your only backup guard option, then you're screwed.

I still love Prather, but he has been injury prone for a couple of years now. Without him and Barlow they are going to struggle.

Reply #766075 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Very ordinary game, but will cut some slack as it's the first game."

Have to agree, having just watched on replay. Lots of one pass and zero pass offence, very few screen plays, lots of one on one. Wesley's injury probably affected Phoenix's play choices but precious little evidence of a plan B. Just Roberson shaking and baking then taking and making 3s. For Melbourne, Trimble seemed to be trying to outdo Roberson in beating the other team one on one.

Have to think both teams will be better in a couple of weeks but Phoenix have to thank Roberson's shooting and Melbourne's lack of offensive organisation for this win.

And both teams shot pretty poorly, Roberson aside.

Reply #766370 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Lots of one pass and zero pass offence, very few screen plays, lots of one on one."

Phoenix ran the high on-ball over and over again and got good results out of it. They often pinned three guys to the baseline and effectively ran a two-man game daring Melbourne to find a way to stop it. In the end they got back into the game on the back of Ili's denial D, with Roberson's foul trouble also helping a lot.

Reply #766372 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Zodiac, now they've got b solar, what’s the chances it goes the same way lol

Reply #766388 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:33 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754