Zodiac
Years ago

NBL confirms every game live on NBL TV

Hungry Jack's NBL20 tips off on Thursday, October 3 and there are no shortage of viewing options as we begin one of our biggest seasons to date!

With new TV broadcast partners SBS VICELAND and ESPN on board, you can tune in there with games before 7:30pm AEST on SBS VICELAND, and games after 7:30pm AEST on ESPN.

For the digital viewer, you can catch every game live on SBS on Demand as well as NBL TV which also boast a selection of NBL Classics and other featured content including Condensed Games, giving you everything you need from the game in 10 minutes.

https://nbl.com.au/news/how-to-watch-round-1-of-nbl20

Sweet.

Topic #45997 | Report this topic

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Does SBS app allow chromecasting to TV?

If so I will try that.

Reply #765770 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yes, it does.

Reply #765771 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

No reason to sub for NBL TV really unless you want the condensed games

Reply #765773 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I like subscribing to NBL TV because it's only $5 a month and for everything LK has done for the league I'm showing my appreciation and even though all the games are also live on SBS on Demand I would prefer not to have to sign up to another service if it can be avoided.

Reply #765775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've kept nbl tv as well but I’m thinking of going to sbs so my ratings get measured and hopefully more media and coverage, or am I fooling myself???

Reply #765778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you participating in the ratings program/survey? If not then no, your ratings don't get counted.

Reply #765779 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I suspect NBL TV is measured, but watching on SBS/ESPN is probably the best - for them to justify showing NBL they need eye balls on their advertising, so it doesn't help nearly as much when NBL TV doesn’t share their advertising.

I think that’s why the NBL is so hesitant to promote NBL TV. They won’t take it away because they want as much reach as possible, but they don’t want to pull viewers away from SBSondemand or Viceland or ESPN

Reply #765780 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Live streaming is measured in the ratings but yes fair point Zodiac. As long as everyone watches games on at least one platform.

Reply #765784 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I should add I always watch the games on FTA TV too for the reason above just watch NBL TV for the non-FTA games.

Reply #765785 | Report this post

Captain jack  
Years ago

Yea I have NBL TV, watch the occasional classic, also my small way of supporting the league for $5 per month

But yea i was thinking of watching on SBS/ESPN as much as possible so they get the clicks/ratings and keep supporting the NBL too

Reply #765789 | Report this post

Fan and TV Junky  
Years ago

Is SBS filming the game and Foxtel using their broadcast to retransmit on ESPN as the picture isn't as good a quality as the usual Fox games?
Maybe not being filmed in HD or Fox lowered its Bitrate!!!!

Reply #765805 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

ESPN is only 720p and probably a lower frame rate. It sucks.

SBS, Fox et al are 1080.

Reply #765808 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

ESPN 720p 50hz.

I think the 50hz being too low causes this affect.

Reply #765809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic coverage on sbs, no streaming problems and super clear.

Reply #765813 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Come to think of it NBL as host broadcasters would film in 1080p/i 60hz. Problem is ESPN are 720p 50hz so downscaling creates this awful picture whereas SBS is fine from the same source.

Reply #765816 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

ESPN is 720p50 in the US, do we know that's true of the Australian version as well?

And no, the alternative isn't 1080i60, it's 1080i50.

Reply #765822 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I was quoting the Aus version specs - it's the same anyway as apart from local content it's all beamed in direct from the US.

I remember back in the pre-HD stone age era when ESPN's NTSC source was converted to PAL. Now that was an utterly disgusting shitfest of picture quality.

Reply #765825 | Report this post

Fan and TV Junky  
Years ago

Thanks for that Perthworld!!
It is terrible, but nba doesn't look too bad on ESPN
I just tried looking on SBS on Demand {never have used that feature on my TV before} and couldn't find anything !
Ill take another look

Reply #765826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ESPN is 720p (progressive scan) 50hz meaning that the whole screen is refreshed at once 50 times a second.
Fox Sports (and all the other HD channels in Australia) is 1080i (interlaced scan) 50hz meaning that half the screen is refreshed at anytime.

Back when HD was introduced ESPN (in America) chose to go with 720p (60 Hz over there, 50 Hz here) rather than 1080i because there's less blur with the higher refresh rate of the whole screen and for sport that would be better (they were wrong).

1080p/i both have twice as many pixels as 720p and that's why it looks less crisp.

Australia and all former PAL countries use 50 Hz as a holdover from anolouge TV and our power alternating at 50Hz. US use 60Hz as their power is 60Hz (but less amps, off topic though)

Reply #765828 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

60 was a typo - meant 50.

Reply #765829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's perfworld does anyone really care?

Reply #765851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the game was on twitch aswell tonight

Reply #765858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I couldn't watch the game on NBL TV. Said it would be shown after the game had finished. So much for being live!! Now that the game is over I get a message thanking me for watching and the live stream has ended.

Reply #765860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SBS on demand was easy and first class.

Reply #765865 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I watched the game live on NBL TV it worked great and good game too.

The only very minor issue was I signed in during the first quarter and it said the game hadn't started yet I had to wait 2-3 minutes until it goes live. Once it went "live" the first quarter was ending and it was going to an ad break.

I assume because it's all set up in AEDT but daylight saving doesn't start until Sunday that will only be an issue for the first round.

Reply #765869 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

IF ESPN's picture quality continues this badly, they will have forced my hand to drop foxtel.

Reply #765871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you watch the game on demand at SBS on demand. I can't seem to find tonight's game on there

Reply #765874 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"The only very minor issue was I signed in during the first quarter and it said the game hadn't started yet I had to wait 2-3 minutes until it goes live. Once it went "live" the first quarter was ending and it was going to an ad break."

This appears to be an error relating to the timezone on your PC/device. It seems to assume you are in the local timezone and waits until 7:30pm on your device to activate the link to the stream. Change the timezone on your PC to check it out.

Another issue appears to be the disabled skip forward/backward 10 seconds (using right/left on PC) feature that NBL.tv had in previous seasons.

On the positive side, there seems to be improvements in stream quality for both live and replays. 1080 works well in both. There is also now a speed feature a la Youtube that allows you to replay the game at faster/slower speeds (x0.5, x0.75, x1.25, x1.5, x1.75, x2).

I'd personally prefer the skip forward feature a la NBA. I've always wanted replays to combine both features into one, such that it could play at say x2/x4 for 10 seconds of game action at the click of a button.

Reply #765875 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

NBL TV providing a game spoiler below the title in the replay is an amateurish mistake.

Reply #765881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you not turn spoilers off in the NBL.tv app? You can with League Pass.

Reply #765902 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

1. NBL website needs to update more quickly Ladder wise, for every other league the moment full time hits, the ladder changes. This morning, it still has every team at 0.

2. Bit of a scoreboard stuff up on the front page: didn't have the scores, and had old broadcast logos of Nine and Fox Sports.

3. NBL App, really not a fan - would love to see it more slick, similar to AFL app, in particular look at the way they set out live scores/match day, and their ladder

4. Sports Centre coverage was great, loved it, but that wasn't live and there wasn't any actual pre-game build up to get you into the atmosphere of the game itself.

5. Not having commentators there is killing it, particularly pre game/halfway/end of game. NBL's plan/idea ain't going to work.

What I did love is the new graphics and the scoreboard. I swear the score was updated before the ball even went into the rim - must be delay of footage to deliver that? It drove me crazy expecting the score to change and realising it already had.

Reply #765911 | Report this post

Totally agree with needing to remove the NBL.tv spoiler in the title of the video when playing. This was so disappointing in round 1.

When watching a replay, if you manage to get into the stream without seeing the result (which is already difficult now that NBL.tv is basically part of the NBL app, even on a desktop), you are forced to see the result when pausing it in the summary sentence at the top of the steam.

NBL - Please fix this ASAP. You are hurting hardcore fans.

Reply #766887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not simply watch it on SBS on Demand?

Reply #766893 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:26 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754