Aussie
Last week

NBL Television ratings

Friday ESPN Cairns Taipans v Sydney Kings 28k

Saturday SBS VICELAND Perth Wildcats v Melbourne United 37k
(Sydney 2k Melbourne 16k Brisbane 4k Adelaide 3k Perth 12k)

Topic #46021 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Last week

How about Facebook watch?

Reply #766612 | Report this post

Aussie  
Last week

Don't know unfortunately

Reply #766613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

From NBL Twitter

@NBL
·
18h
Melo proving to be a very slippery customer

@MELOD1P
#BNEatILL #NBL20
0:23 video not showing
2.4M views

Reply #766616 | Report this post

KET  
Last week

How do those numbers compare to A-League?

Reply #766617 | Report this post

KET  
Last week

What sort of combined ratings between TV (ESPN/SBS,Sky) and Streaming (Foxtel Go/Now/ESPN App, SBSonDemand, NBLTV, FacebookWatch) would the NBL be aiming for?

60k Nationally, 100k+ Hawks/NZ games? That, along with fullish houses in stadiums, social media reach, how would sponsors feel about value for money?

Reply #766635 | Report this post

ME  
Last week

37K on the stronger end of NBL ratings generally, but still.. around the average.

Reply #766639 | Report this post

ME  
Last week

Where did you get these ratings btw?

Reply #766640 | Report this post

Aussie  
Last week

Where did you get these ratings btw?

Twitter Ausmediaweek

Reply #766654 | Report this post

Aussie  
Last week

How do those numbers compare to A-League

I could be wrong but I think A League games rate between high 40's to 60's

Reply #766659 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last week

A-League season average on Fox Sports:

2005-2006 - 42,054
2006-2007 – 55,465
2007-2008 – 69,745
2008-2009 – 63,792
2009-2010 – 54,018
2010-2011 – 44,968
2011-2012 – 65,789
2012-2013 – 74,659
2013-2014 – 65,109
2014-2015 – 59,749
2015-2016 – 55,193
2016-2017 – 63,422
2017-2018 – 51,169

(Does not include SBS/Ten or streaming)

From http://www.footyindustry.com/?p=4668

Reply #766672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

Not bad numbers for Round 1.

Reply #766767 | Report this post

KET  
Last week

What were the numbers for sunday's game?

Reply #766769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

NBL
@NBL
·
32m
There were a few eyeballs on #NBL20 in Round 1

Over 1 million fans in America tuned in to check out LaMelo Ball on
@FacebookWatch

Reply #766895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

^ that's a few more than the A league gets

Reply #766896 | Report this post

KET  
Last week

That's taking the piss a bit isn't it?

NBL gets about 50k watching in Australia, and a million internationally. I hope NBL is getting a reasonable bit of $$$ for it - imagine revenue sharing adverts for that?

Reply #766900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

^ the advertising $$$$$
If the NBL doesn't make money this year it never will. I just hope the NBL is already looking for next seasons next stars. 9 of them if possible.

Reply #766908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

How much profit is the A League making?

Reply #766909 | Report this post

KET  
Last week

A-League gets far too much money from Fox for what they're getting ratings wise. There are some very strong sponsors in the A-League though.

That's matched by high spending, I imagine the salaries are 3-4 times higher than the NBL - at least - while their crowds aren't 3-4x that of the NBL. Viewers etc. certainly isn't 3-4x higher either.

Reply #766911 | Report this post

Haz  
Last week

Theres been a lot of talk about the declining state of the A-league and what needs to be done to turn it around.

Fox apprently have just about given up on the league (sound familiar?) And rumours are that the next TV deal the A-league gets wont be anywhere near what Fox paid. It may even dissapear from Fox altogether.

Channel 10 I think has scrapped the FTA component of the deal (sound familiar?) And now the A-league gets 1 game a week on ABC with minimal marketing input from Fox (sound familiar?)

All to do with their drop in ratings not giving value for money.

Screw Fox. They overpay some sports and dont pay anything for others.

Reply #767052 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Last week

"That's matched by high spending, I imagine the salaries are 3-4 times higher than the NBL - at least - while their crowds aren't 3-4x that of the NBL. Viewers etc. certainly isn't 3-4x higher either.“

I'd hope ALeague salaries aren’t that high, as it’s nowhere near the top 10 leagues worldwide (whereas the NBL would be). A League games of higher drawing teams would be 3times a crowd at, say, Cairns or Illawarra. Indoor sports are difficult to get big crowds to anyway, due to the cost of building indoor stadia.

I hope the Facebook figures overseas will convince commercial feta tv that there is a growing future for NBL basketball (and other leagues plus Boomers games) so a fat deal with some revenue can be made (even if the revenue is only derived from advertising and sponsorship).

Reply #767201 | Report this post

ME  
Last week

We could come to a point where Australian TV ratings don't matter because we're getting enough eyeballs elsewhere. You can see the NBL already buying into that with the Twitch and Facebook Watch deals. LaMelo Ball is directly responsible for the explosion of interest the NBL has. The key to sustaining this is lining up another LaMelo for next year, then the year after. It's gonna be tough. The NBL will also need to find more reasons for international fans to watch outside of LaMelo to keep those eyes in future.

Reply #767215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

Ball is still so young, it would be great if he was a high nba draft pick and stored at Illawarra for a second season to allow his strength and weight catch up to his ability.

Reply #767220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

Didi has a good fan base in Brazil and at the pelicans some more like that please

Reply #767238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Last week

Getting the best prospects from Europe along with USA would also help.

Reply #767239 | Report this post

Reply to this topic

Random name suggestion for anonymous posters: Ceres 18

Rules:You must read the Terms of Use. No spam, no offensive material, no sniping at other clubs, no 'who cares?'-type comments, no naming or bashing under 18 players. Learn how to embed YouTube videos or tweets

Please proof-read your post before submitting as you will not be able to edit it afterwards.

Close ads
Westside Basketball Association
Dunk.com.au - Custom basketball uniforms
PickStar - The best place to book sports stars

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

Invoicing clients? Stay productive with Punch, the insightful time tracker that earns you more.

Special offer: $30/month Pay $100 for lifetime access. Sign up now!

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:32 pm, Mon 14 Oct 2019 | Posts: 795,069 | Last 7 days: 1,258