Aussie
Years ago

NBL Television ratings

Friday ESPN Cairns Taipans v Sydney Kings 28k

Saturday SBS VICELAND Perth Wildcats v Melbourne United 37k
(Sydney 2k Melbourne 16k Brisbane 4k Adelaide 3k Perth 12k)

Topic #46021 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about Facebook watch?

Reply #766612 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Don't know unfortunately

Reply #766613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From NBL Twitter

@NBL
·
18h
Melo proving to be a very slippery customer

@MELOD1P
#BNEatILL #NBL20
0:23 video not showing
2.4M views

Reply #766616 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

How do those numbers compare to A-League?

Reply #766617 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What sort of combined ratings between TV (ESPN/SBS,Sky) and Streaming (Foxtel Go/Now/ESPN App, SBSonDemand, NBLTV, FacebookWatch) would the NBL be aiming for?

60k Nationally, 100k+ Hawks/NZ games? That, along with fullish houses in stadiums, social media reach, how would sponsors feel about value for money?

Reply #766635 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

37K on the stronger end of NBL ratings generally, but still.. around the average.

Reply #766639 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Where did you get these ratings btw?

Reply #766640 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Where did you get these ratings btw?

Twitter Ausmediaweek

Reply #766654 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

How do those numbers compare to A-League

I could be wrong but I think A League games rate between high 40's to 60's

Reply #766659 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

A-League season average on Fox Sports:

2005-2006 - 42,054
2006-2007 – 55,465
2007-2008 – 69,745
2008-2009 – 63,792
2009-2010 – 54,018
2010-2011 – 44,968
2011-2012 – 65,789
2012-2013 – 74,659
2013-2014 – 65,109
2014-2015 – 59,749
2015-2016 – 55,193
2016-2017 – 63,422
2017-2018 – 51,169

(Does not include SBS/Ten or streaming)

From http://www.footyindustry.com/?p=4668

Reply #766672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not bad numbers for Round 1.

Reply #766767 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What were the numbers for sunday's game?

Reply #766769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL
@NBL
·
32m
There were a few eyeballs on #NBL20 in Round 1

Over 1 million fans in America tuned in to check out LaMelo Ball on
@FacebookWatch

Reply #766895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ that's a few more than the A league gets

Reply #766896 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That's taking the piss a bit isn't it?

NBL gets about 50k watching in Australia, and a million internationally. I hope NBL is getting a reasonable bit of $$$ for it - imagine revenue sharing adverts for that?

Reply #766900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ the advertising $$$$$
If the NBL doesn't make money this year it never will. I just hope the NBL is already looking for next seasons next stars. 9 of them if possible.

Reply #766908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much profit is the A League making?

Reply #766909 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

A-League gets far too much money from Fox for what they're getting ratings wise. There are some very strong sponsors in the A-League though.

That's matched by high spending, I imagine the salaries are 3-4 times higher than the NBL - at least - while their crowds aren't 3-4x that of the NBL. Viewers etc. certainly isn't 3-4x higher either.

Reply #766911 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Theres been a lot of talk about the declining state of the A-league and what needs to be done to turn it around.

Fox apprently have just about given up on the league (sound familiar?) And rumours are that the next TV deal the A-league gets wont be anywhere near what Fox paid. It may even dissapear from Fox altogether.

Channel 10 I think has scrapped the FTA component of the deal (sound familiar?) And now the A-league gets 1 game a week on ABC with minimal marketing input from Fox (sound familiar?)

All to do with their drop in ratings not giving value for money.

Screw Fox. They overpay some sports and dont pay anything for others.

Reply #767052 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"That's matched by high spending, I imagine the salaries are 3-4 times higher than the NBL - at least - while their crowds aren't 3-4x that of the NBL. Viewers etc. certainly isn't 3-4x higher either.“

I'd hope ALeague salaries aren’t that high, as it’s nowhere near the top 10 leagues worldwide (whereas the NBL would be). A League games of higher drawing teams would be 3times a crowd at, say, Cairns or Illawarra. Indoor sports are difficult to get big crowds to anyway, due to the cost of building indoor stadia.

I hope the Facebook figures overseas will convince commercial feta tv that there is a growing future for NBL basketball (and other leagues plus Boomers games) so a fat deal with some revenue can be made (even if the revenue is only derived from advertising and sponsorship).

Reply #767201 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

We could come to a point where Australian TV ratings don't matter because we're getting enough eyeballs elsewhere. You can see the NBL already buying into that with the Twitch and Facebook Watch deals. LaMelo Ball is directly responsible for the explosion of interest the NBL has. The key to sustaining this is lining up another LaMelo for next year, then the year after. It's gonna be tough. The NBL will also need to find more reasons for international fans to watch outside of LaMelo to keep those eyes in future.

Reply #767215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ball is still so young, it would be great if he was a high nba draft pick and stored at Illawarra for a second season to allow his strength and weight catch up to his ability.

Reply #767220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didi has a good fan base in Brazil and at the pelicans some more like that please

Reply #767238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting the best prospects from Europe along with USA would also help.

Reply #767239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting stat here re Sunday TV ratings the first two rounds. Hard to compare like-for-like with how previous years have been presented, but this certainly seems very high for four games of NBL:

"Over 650,000 viewers have switched on across Free to Air, subscription TV and streaming to watch Sunday hoops between 1-5pm over the first two rounds."

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/the-logue-down-nbl-owner-larry-kestelman-shows-interest-in-private-equity-to-secure-australian-basketballs-future/news-story/a45d780d34b97f492fb1f2cf3b8e7de7

Article also talks about Kestelman potentially selling a share of the league to a private equity firm.

Also of note in the article:

"This is the first time since 1994 that more than 40,000 fans attended each of the first two rounds."

Reply #880059 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah I just read that. Some rudimentary maths would say that if that is only two rounds, each Sunday game is averaging 162'000 views.

Reply #880061 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

It does appear to promising numbers, clearly some spin on it the way they've worded it though.

If LK does sell a share of the NBL it would be interesting to see how that values the league. The A Leagues recently sold a 33% share which valued the league at $400M+

Reply #880062 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well it's across platforms as well. 165'000 views for each game, across half a dozen platforms, most probably Kayo. But if you look at even that number, it is a fairly good. Certainly well above the viewership the league has ever had before. Still pretty modest when compared to a lot of tier one sports but as the article states, it's a 43 percent jump from last season. Definitely the signs are very good.

Reply #880067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kai Sotto effect

Reply #880070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah if they're getting 160K+ per game from Kayo, ESPN and Peach combined I reckon they'd be pretty happy with that.

Reply #880072 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see where the numbers go from here. Very early in the season. Could there be some mid-season lull in the numbers or will it just keep building as more and more people figure out where and when to watch it?

This is a direct reflection of the deals done with ESPN, Peach and Newscorp though. Every day there's a piece on the NBL in the paper and online. The general consensus on the NBL has changed from it being a "bush league" to people saying "yeah it's definitely getting better". Some still call it a bush league but when I hear basketball people talk when I am out and about, the respect for the NBL has definitely grown a whole lot.

Reply #880076 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Wonder what the targets and KPIs are?

43% increase doesn't seem like much? I thought the NBL was a very low bar ratings wise - 12-30k viewers per match kind of thing?

Reply #880080 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Correct.

Reply #880081 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Are the viewer-numbers quoted inclusive of platforms that overseas viewers would use or just for Oz?

Reply #880085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There were 3 games on each sunday of the first 2 rounds, so 6 games in total. That gives ~110,000 views per game.

Couldn't see NBL in the top 20 rated programs for the first two sundays, at https://tvtonight.com.au/category/ratings. Not in lists for all FTA channels (#20 rated 185,000/226,000), FTA multichannels only (#20 rated 78,000/86,000), and subscription channels (#20 rated 24,000/30,000).

Probably not a lot of (new?) eyeballs coming from FTA and subscription? So the streaming services are generating most of the viewing numbers?

Reply #880093 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"There were 3 games on each sunday of the first 2 rounds, so 6 games in total. That gives ~110,000 views per game."

In response to this, no. this number is specifically for the two games from the 1-5pm Sunday Hoops timeslot as outlined in the following quote from the article:

"Over 650,000 viewers have switched on across Free to Air, subscription TV and streaming to watch Sunday hoops between 1-5pm over the first two rounds."

And in response to this quote:

"Couldn't see NBL in the top 20 rated programs for the first two sundays, at https://tvtonight.com.au/category/ratings. Not in lists for all FTA channels (#20 rated 185,000/226,000), FTA multichannels only (#20 rated 78,000/86,000), and subscription channels (#20 rated 24,000/30,000)."

It is highly likely the NBL fell short of all those numbers yet still accrued 160'000. If 70'000 came from multi channel, 20'000 came from subscription, and 70'000 online, you neatly hit that number without the need for it to have rated in the top 20. Across all of its mediums 162'000 per Sunday game of the two-game time slot is a fair footprint to start off with.

"Probably not a lot of (new?) eyeballs coming from FTA and subscription? So the streaming services are generating most of the viewing numbers?"

Well it's starting from a pretty low base before this. NBL viewer numbers have improved year-on year to get to where they are now, which is apparently a 43 percent uptick on the previous year. But I remember the biggest ever viewership numbers I've ever seen in recent history being around 80'000 for one of the NBL grand final games, which put it snugly in the top 10 of foxtel ratings for that day. I believe these were the 2018 grand finals.

"43% increase doesn't seem like much? I thought the NBL was a very low bar ratings wise - 12-30k viewers per match kind of thing?"

Yes, in the days when the NBL had really only Fox Sports, those were around the numbers it was getting. It's probably sitting on similar purely on the Foxtel set top box. Its FTA alwauys averaged a moderate amount more - I believe 50-60 K.

We're two weeks into the season and we've seen a 43 percent up tick. All that tells me is the talk around the league is starting to pick up some steam. I am not sure what kind of increase you'd expect in that kind of time.

My thought is that most of that uptick has come from FTA viewership which is probably why the article is so specific about that Sunday Hoops timeslot. It's probably the one place where the league has the most room to grow. I doubt many bought Foxtel for the NBL. A few may have bought Kayo. But free basketball on a Sunday afternoon? I can imagine a small but reliable niche of people have started to check in on that. And if you think of it this way, if the uptick of 43 percent for the season is coming mainly from those two Sunday games, then they're probably outpeforming the other games by a pretty wise margin and spread across the season that has equalled 43 percent.

Reply #880102 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Question is, is it worth $15mil for ESPN/Kayo

Seems like an expensive loss-leader?

I guess A-League is similar in that vein

Reply #880172 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:05 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754