LC
Years ago

Opals squad named for Pre-Olympic Qualifers

Liz Cambage and 2019 FIBA Asia Cup All-Star Five recipient Bec Allen headline a star-studded Australian Opals squad of 19 players for the FIBA Asia-Oceania Olympic Pre-Qualifying Tournament to be held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from November 10 - 18.

Star-studded Opals squad named for Olympic pre-qualifying tournament

Topic #46062 | Report this topic

ANON  
Years ago

How on earth does Tupea keeps making the squad , seriously

Reply #767901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully they go small ballwoth only Cambage as a legit 5.
Give Tolo more time to heal.
Bring in griffin imo, give Nicholson more time.

Reply #767912 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Baffling.

Can't wait until we see Kristy Wallace and Tiana Mangakahia back in full flight pending full recoveries.

Reply #767913 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Do we not to select guards who can defend quick guards rather than another forward, as good as Griffin is?

We got done over by China's and Japan's guards - our bigs were our best players in Bengaluru. Allen, George and Ezi were all very good.

Reply #767915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does froling deserve a callup? Been putting up big stats for 6 months.

Reply #767917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

George was very good? I must have missed that part.
Which quick guards missed the cut? I see Ebzery and Lavey both named there. Are you saying you would pick Conti?

Reply #767918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wallace and Mangakahia I think are long shots for any 2020 teams.

Wallace with back 2 back acls I cant see getting back to peak form in 6 months and tiana I believe only just had her last treatment.

Reply #767920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have chosen

Ebzery
Ohea
Allen
Griffin
Cambage

Lavey
Nicholson
Talbot
Froling or Garbin
Magbegor

Garrick
George

Cut
Mitchell
Tupaea
Whitcomb
Madgen
Blicavs
Bishop
Tolo - rest

Reply #767924 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Looks like Griffin having a little bit of run on Sunday. Warming up, first game back from injury.

Reply #768055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We got done over by China's and Japan's guards - our bigs were our best players in Bengaluru. Allen, George and Ezi were all very good.

George was a punish to watch against China and Japan. Had to play D on the perimeter with those teams playing 5 out. Mixed in horrible defense with bad shot selection.

Reply #768064 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Would like to see Bec Cole get a call up at some point...

Reply #768277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Kunek out of the loop?
When she got a run in the CG she did very well. Also is quick on defence which some of the 3's that got selected aren’t

Reply #768329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because she has Allen and Talbot ahead of her, along with Ohea.

Reply #768332 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

"" would have chosen

Ebzery
Ohea
Allen
Griffin
Cambage

Lavey
Nicholson
Talbot
Froling or Garbin
Magbegor

Garrick
George

Cut
Mitchell
Tupaea
Whitcomb
Madgen
Blicavs
Bishop
Tolo - rest
""

first off Ebzery cant run point like Mitchell, which was more than evident on this last tour, she also turns the ball over far too much for a guard with her experience. Right now Mitchell is the best most experienced PG Australia has , thats a fact that will see her as the one naturalized player, so Whitcomb( dont think she brings much anyway) and Griffin ( she would be a good inclusion if she could remain injury free but we have others that can play that spot that are Australian not naturalized).
Tupaea and Madgen shouldnt even be on the list,

Reply #768354 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Talbot and O'Hea played real well in the Asia qualifiers, yeah right. They were left wanting !

Reply #768370 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

you dont want Kunek , she suits 3X3 individual mentality game, Ohea is a leader, and does much more than score, if that part of her games off she does all the other bits that go to make her a very valuable player to have, great level calm head too. Talbot , Seekcamp and Garbin are three that bring nothing .
biggest issues they have as a group is the injury history, Griffin, Blicavs, Tolo, Madgen, Tupuea even Ohea, are all plagued with injuries constantly, yet always seem to get picked, think its time they used the AFL model, injured your relegated to reserves till you can prove you can stay sound lol

Reply #768378 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You have in your reply strength my case about Kunek.
Picking the same players will not get u a different out come.

Reply #768392 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:00 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754