Anonymous
Years ago

Breakers confirm former towel boy as GM

Simon Edwards to replace Dillon Boucher: https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2019/10/anbl-nz-breakers-confirm-simon-edwards-as-new-general-manager.html

Topic #46069 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow, another Troy Georgiu Cinderella story.

Reply #768155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he the only person left? ;-)

Reply #768158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was the waterboy considered?

Reply #768165 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

GM is a pretty good gig, especially if the team is already signed.

Reply #768185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a crock.

Good on him and all that. Wish him well. Nice guy

But I am cynical.

He is the only one left from the Blackwell's. They will have wanted him to stay with all the departures, so what do they do, they buy his loyalty.

But he doesn't have the experience for it. Not a GM job. Last I heard was he was going to be the court side entertainer. He's 29 and was the members manager.

International search?

Come on.

Reply #768195 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yes, the cynic in me sees this as a token gesture to one of the 'old guard'. He'll probably be made redundant at season's end, right before they sign a Senior Manager of Player Retainment and Acquisition.

Reply #768207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm surprised they even replaced Boucher. Walsh is basically the de facto GM.

Reply #768208 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"When we took over, obviously we've got some people who have basketball minds, and we looked at the organisation and how they were doing financially and decided we needed to bring some more commercial help in here so his role changed," Walsh explained."

So you go out and get a 29 y.o guy who has been around the Breakers all his life and who has no apparent experience with GM roles previously - sounds like you really got that "commercial help" and experience you wanted.

The way the article was written suggests IMO that the appointment was manufactured to appeal to the loyal longstanding fans, and quotes like these are so obviously deliberate:

"However, Simon bleeds the Breakers, knows the organisation inside out and espouses the family values the Blackwell family instilled in the club from the beginning."

I feel somewhat sorry for the bloke - at some point his mind must wonder at what point did he get the role based solely on his historic connection to the breakers and not based on merit whatsoever?

Reply #768219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez. Don't tell Tommy Greer you need previous GM experience!

Reply #768220 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:50 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754