Anonymous
Years ago

A sensible discussion about Melbourne United

Any chance we can have a sensible discussion about the challenges they face, what has gone wrong (and right) this season?

Topic #46196 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

They'll be fine, sunshine

Reply #770942 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bit of a gamble getting the stat-getters from less successful teams.

Reply #770944 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Team is unbalanced, but too much talent to stay down for long. They will find a way to make it work id expect.

Reply #770945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There wage bill is massive, they should be leading the competition not languishing down the bottom. They will most likely come good and tell everyone I told you so, they have to much talent not to but imo if they miss finals it would be good for the rest competition.

Reply #770946 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

lol sensible... nice try, OP...

Just because they've spent big, doesn't mean that they should be top of the ladder... More often than not, if they just get players that put up big numbers on other teams and don't think about how they all fit together, it's NOT a recipe for success...

Have to say, as a non-Melbournite, it's good to seem them down the bottom of the ladder... Now if only the wheels could fall off the little red Wildcats wagon somehow, it would be a pretty good season! :D

Reply #770951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nobody gives a fuck about Melbourne's other team. Everyone should be doing what they can to see who the Hawks new import(s) will be?

Reply #770955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'll probably poach Scott Machado to replace Trimble next year...

Reply #770956 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Expect Melbourne to make some moves in the next week as they won't sit back without trying something.

Do they move Prather.....like how far is he, they need to make a call!

Long is great on O but doesn't play D and certainly doesn;t fit next to either local big man?

Trimble is all stats and no substance doesn't make anyone better and kills the offence with Goulding in particular needing the ball to move to be effective which is a bit ain't the way Trimble plays.

Expect 2 of the three imports to be gone

Reply #770957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne to release Prather - Hawks to sign Prather?

Reply #770958 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

They made some massive moves in the off-season trying to go one better.

Swapping out an ageing Boone and bringing in Long, was IMHO a huge net positive.

Losing Ware, IMHO the most valuable player in the league last season, was a huge loss. Whatever the reasons and politics. Trimble isn't Ware.
Ware was the key to that team, and without him they are basically starting from scratch.

I can understand the attraction in bringing Prather back. He won 3 consecutive rings. But he's also become injury prone, basically hasn't player for a year, and still has a problem with his knee.

Taken in totla, they have changed out all of their imports and most of their core. That's a Sydney move, and it was always going to take a while to get them playing as a team.

What I find crazy, is that they did nothing to address their one glaring weakness; their lack of depth at the 4 spot. In fact I'd say that losing Moller, they have gone backwards.
I didn't mind that they took a gamble on Jois last season, although in deciding who to move on out of Trist and TSM, they probably got that wrong. Barlow couldn't run out the season last time, and is now older and more injury prone. TSM aint it, and JLA is as raw as an egg.

Juggling your bench is critical, especially with the cap in place. And they just haven't done it well. You don't need 6 GOOD players on the bench, but you do need a decent rotation, injury cover, and some flexibility.
It's nice to have somebody like Pledge on your bench, I just hope they aren't paying him too much. He's a backup old-skool inside centre, and that's all he can play.
At the other end they have Ili, who is fast becoming the most over-rated crab in the NBL. As backup PG he's a probably a step down from Adnam, again that's his only role.
With Blubbles starting, their bench has nothing in between.

Considering their poor bench, they should have pursued a Next Star.

And yeah, considering how much of the season Prather is missing, they really should have found a better import.

Reply #770959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Blubbles"

RLOFL!!!

Reply #770961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They really miss Ware and his all around 2 way ability, plus the fact he's such a proven winning star.

Long has way more talent than Boone, but Boone did more of those small hustle and defensive type plays. Plus Long is way more ball dominant.

They miss solid role players like Moller who plug your holes and do the little things.

The team is just out of balance, too many guys who need the ball in their hands to be effective and are too inefficient at scoring and poor on defense.

They have enough talent to win a lot of games, but hard to tell how they would go in a 3-5 game series. Teams like Wildcats/NZ/SEM/Kings all have much more balanced teams and players with specific roles. They've constructed pretty great teams. Where as Melbourne just went out and got the best offensive stats they could and cheapest bench and right now it just isn't gelling.

Their bench is pretty crap too. When they had McCarron on the floor with 4 bench guys last game, the commentator said "all NZ need to do is guard McCarron" and it was true.

I don't think Prather will be their saviour either.

Reply #770962 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If I was a fan of any other team, I'd be annoyed about the commentary on this forum

NBL is a strong league, United are playing without Prather (and have missed Goulding, Barlow, Pledger in other games)- they're 1-4 but have lost a few close ones and could easily be 3-2 or even 4-1.

What did you expect, that they were just gonna walk all over everybody? Pretty disrespectful to other teams IMO.

The talent gap isn't so much that United can phone it in

Remains to be seen whether United's squad has the right balance. Time will tell. Right now, my concern is the Defense- two downgrades at that end, with Boone and Casper gone who were both elite defensively.

Reply #770964 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

If Prather was playing we would not be having this conversation.

The season is impacted by injuries, they will recover and when they do only Sydney can match them.

Reply #770967 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Prather playing help cuase then we don't have to see as much of Acuil & Smith Milner who are ready to regularly contribute on a winning team.

Reply #770970 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Prather missed all of last season in Russia due to a knee injury and the same knee has kept him out the first five games of this season too.

Not only was it a risk to sign him but a very big gamble to give him a 2 year deal meaning they're stuck with him for the season and clearly with all the money they've spent poaching these players from other teams they probably can't afford a half decent temp replacement so going with Stith as he was already here.

The only positive in all this are these problems happening at the start of the season rather than the end they've got a lot of time to wait on Prather bring him back when he's cherry ripe then hope to go on a run. They only need to make the playoffs they will still be the title favourites if Prather is healthy in February.

Reply #770971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not only what you see game day that counts, players like Moller, Adnam, Hooley trained hard and kept the standard up and grabbed every minute they could to do well when given the chance. Vickerman is part the problem as he plays his starters into the ground and nothing has changed. Barlow was never going to get through last season they way he started at his age, they had to trust others. As others have said even in the premiership season Prather miss a bulk of the season. Felix was a much more team guy than Prather and he and Moller shared the time, Moller even started a few games. White went ballistic in GF series last season and Kennedy or McCarron could not get him defensively but nothing changed, they were good enough to go back to back but blew it.

Reply #770972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not certain Prather is going to be the saviour either, other clubs have very good 3/4 combinations now as well, no doubt he’ll be good but can he rescue them, perhaps, but it was a gamble.

Reply #770973 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This is all on Vince Crivelli - he's spending obscene amounts of money but it feels like all he is doing is assembling a fantasy league side. How much basketball knowledge does he actually have? I do remember many eyebrows were raised when he was originally appointed as CEO.

Utd would still have Ware if Crudelli didn't lie directly to him when questioned about whether he was the top earner at the club. Bad move since imports naturally talk with one another and Kennedy revealed what he was on. So the club chief parlayed overspending on an unproven import with putting off the engine of the team. Great leadership. I thought Ware was injured in the latter part of last season but when all of this was revealed a while after the playoffs it makes sense.

CrocMedia must be feeling a little sick right now with their ownership stake.

Reply #770975 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"If Prather was playing we would not be having this conversation.
The season is impacted by injuries, they will recover and when they do only Sydney can match them."

ROFL

So, if Prather was fit & healthy we wouldn't be having a conversation about him not being fit & healthy?
Thanks for that, any other pearls you'd like to share?

Prather, at his best, was the best SF in the league. Unfortunately that was 3 years ago.
If and when he comes back, will he still be that good? And will he be able to play minutes needed?

Reply #770978 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Prather was, hopefully is a plus defender, they need someone that can play defence, problem is long as a rim protector is just not that good or smart. Hopefully Prather is able to protect him somewhat, however who knows. On offence they tend to take some horrible shots, long took a one legged fadeaway vs Perth and there is a real sense of I can take and make anything, he can, but that thinking doesn't win championships.

I imagine with that many talented offensive players, on short term deals there is a real need to get mine to get paid, you see guys looking for their own shot in social ball, imagine these guy with bigger egos and possibly hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line... I would want my numbers too.

Reply #770982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vince Crevelli. The most lateral move in all of sports!

Former Barber turned NBL GM! #seeincredible

Reply #770984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have no problem losing Ware - especially given the rumoured money he's on at Sydney. However I have a problem with both Trimble and Long. They needed one of the import PG or C to be defensive orientated.

With the bench the problem is Lual-Acuil and Pledger are the same player - they should’ve got one more wing player or a 3/4 type player.

Reply #770985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ware still earning less than Melbourne payed Kennedy last season or Prather this season.

Reply #770986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think people are also forgetting Melbourne played better when Prather was out injured and they had Felix as a short term replacement.

Who knows, Prather coming back could even make things worse.

Reply #770988 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Vince was great runny Sandy in SEABL as GM they had a good record

Reply #770992 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#770988 - good point, I was going to include it but forgot to mention the Prather aspect. Utd were struggling to hang on to a playoff spot before Felix arrived who helped them win the top seed to setup the run to the title.

Didn't know Vince was a barber. Amazing.

Reply #770994 | Report this post

Botiworld  
Years ago

A quick scroll of this thread shows 3 idiotic participants which makes a sensible discussion highly unlikely.

Trimble is a serious downgrade from Ware.
Why sign an injured Prather.

Reply #770997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vince is a snake in the grass. Vickerman is a close 2nd. Both now accountable.

Reply #771000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"United are playing without Prather (and have missed Goulding, Barlow, Pledger in other games)- they're 1-4"

Correct me if I'm wrong but Perth started last season missing White, Martin, Brandt (maybe someone else?) for multiple games but still sat on top of the ladder early on.

Reply #771062 | Report this post

Reg  
Years ago

Couldn't underestimate the loss of Henare in all this,it must have some sort of impact,McCarron seems panicked in tight situations,for a player of his standing some really poor decisions and turnovers,throw in no Casper and it does escalate there lack of a real floor general,there performance in the NBA games was pretty impressive so they maybe still carrying travel effects,to much talent to not make play offs but need to get moving .

Reply #771141 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"A sensible discussion about Melbourne United"

OP is clearly mistaken in posting here.

Reply #771156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"A sensible discussion about Melbourne United" impossible on this site! Has anyone mentioned bring back the Tigers yet?

Reply #771166 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

At the end of the day, United are 1-4 but they've lost 3 of those games by 3 points or less.

If they were 3-2, everyone would be talking about how they're championship favourites, because even without Prather they're still near the top of the ladder.

People are so fickle.

Reply #771195 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

At the end of the day, United are 1-4 but they've lost 3 of those games by 3 points or less.

If they were 3-2, everyone would be talking about how they're championship favourites, because even without Prather they're still near the top of the ladder.

People are so fickle.

Reply #771196 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Having said that, I'm not counting on Prather being the saviour either. Time will tell. I just think it's funny how everyone thought United was so stacked and so good, when the smart money was always on Perth at $5.50 (and probably Sydney too) just like last year the smart money was on Perth at $6.00. And now United's screwed cos they're 1-4.

1-4 doesn't worry me.

1-7 would though- at that point, the entire season would be starting to look in some danger.

Reply #771197 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:46 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754