LV
Years ago

Perth's Shaky Start

Perth are very much flattered by their 6-2 record

Have already played basket cases Illawarra twice, and not yet played Sydney

Have won super close games against teams who were completely undermanned, in United and NZ

Not an impressive start for the Cats at all- the championship defense is looking a little shaky at this early stage

As always, they're doing what they need to do, but soon they'll need to start doing more. And given they carried over 80% of last year's roster, you do wonder how much upside they have in them (unless they make changes or upgrades which is always possible)

Topic #46241 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not this thread again

Reply #772085 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Their bench isn't looking as strong as in previous years. Agreed probably not as much upside as a few other sides SEM and United especially. But they haven't clicked yet either and have looked scary in patches so should be happy with a 6-2 start.

Hunt is the only realistic option to upgrade but after todays game that seems unlikely. His performance was exactly the type of role glesson recruited him for.

Reply #772089 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Not as shaky as United's.

/thread

Reply #772091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are very much flattered by their 9 championship trophies too. Waaaaahhhhh!

Reply #772092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Manu started this thread, it would be trolling.

When LV starts it, its because he really really wants it to be true because he hates Perth has so many titles while Melbourne only has one.

Reply #772095 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

There were a MILLION butthurt threads like this last year, saying we couldn't make the playoffs and any win we had was fake. They all looked pretty stupid when we won the whole damn thing YET AGAIN

Reply #772097 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Last year Perth had significant roster changes

Kay and White were upgrades on Knight and Tokoto. Tokoto good all round player but White provides the scoring they need.

This year, no such changes.

Meanwhile, Sydney clearly better than last year. And I suspect we'll be saying the same about United and NZ within a few weeks.

Reply #772098 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Years ago

They're 6 and 2, the how and why doesn’t matter.
Let it go mate, they’ll be in the playoffs and challenging again as always.

Reply #772099 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I agree they'll be in the playoffs

Just saying, purely based on what I've observed so far, real question marks over them at this point in a league that's obviously gotten stronger

Reply #772100 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Go watch last years gf, that's what they can do. Banking wins when you aren't playing well is the hardest thing, they dominated nz, yet shot poorly, cotton shot like 12%, yet they still got the win, how many teams could do that? It was also their second game on one of the longest road trips in sport. Maybe you should consider who sydney hasnt played

Reply #772101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who have Sydney played of note? They haven't played either Melbourne team or Perth.

Reply #772102 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It's heart-warming that LV is so concerned about the Wildcats :)

Reply #772104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't say I was surprised to see who the OP of this thread was

Reply #772109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is LV wrong though?

Reply #772113 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Is LV wrong though?

No, but "decent team is only playing decent basketball" is hardly newsworthy IMO.
But I guess this weekend showed that anything is worth a new thread.

Reply #772117 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Being second is clearly not good enough they need to be first!

Reply #772122 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure it was LV saying the same thing at this point last year, which obviously aged well.

Reply #772134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, I'm shocked that LV was unable to put forward an objective opinion when discussing Perth.

Reply #772138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV also said this in the cats game thread

"How funny is Casey Frank and the other guy, but especially Frank
Complain about every call, and then backtrack when they see the replay"

The funny part to LV is that commentators admitted when they got a call wrong. That is something LV takes pride in never doing.

Reply #772141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No, but "decent team is only playing decent basketball" is hardly newsworthy IMO."

Emphasis on "No [LV isn't wrong]": Perth's been reasonably healthy and hasn't looked like a championship frontrunner yet. Their defense, which has been consistently elite for years, is statistically sub-par. Dubious at worst whether this is newsworthy.

While LV has a well-known disdain for the Wildcats (and/or an appitite for trolling), does that make the butthurt comments any more worthy of being posted?

Reply #772142 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Take the heat off of Melbourne's poor 2-4 start which could be worsened to 2-5 tonight against the ladder leaders by focusing on Perth's 6-2 start seeing them sitting second on the ladder coupled with the bonus of knowing Perth fans will lose their shit.

Well played LV, well played.

Reply #772146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth fans will lose their shit."

Let us know when this happens.

Reply #772147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV: [something silly and deliberately anti-Perth]

Perth fans: Actually I don't think thats quite right.

Zodiac and others: hahahahaha I can taste the salty tears of Perth fans! They are literally Hitler!

Reply #772149 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Let us know when this happens.

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/46243-sydneyE28099s-shaky-start/

Reply #772152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serious?

Reply #772153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Their defense, which has been consistently elite for years, is statistically sub-par."

Not if you look at their past four games.

Reply #772160 | Report this post

Bill Scibilia  
Years ago

yawn

Reply #772164 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Master Coach Gleeson just needs to be calmer and the Cats will be fine :)

Reply #772166 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Not if you look at their past four games."

They would be around 3rd in league defensive efficiency, around Brisbane's level, and still miles behind Sydney.

Fair point though: Perth's defense looks a lot better when you don't include games where they give up big scores.

Nice one.

Reply #772167 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This season is looking a lot like 2017-18 to me

Powerhouse club, didn't quite get the balance right in years gone by and had questionable coaching. Recruits new coach and a proven NBL winner. Wins title.

Vickerman and Prather, this time it's Weaver and Ware

Having said that, Sydney does look good but It's too early to get a good read on United. Saturday was encouraging but tonight will tell us lots.

Reply #772177 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Take the heat off of Melbourne's poor 2-4 start]

That's the thing though, their start hasn't actually been that poor

No Prather, CG missed a couple, Barlow missed a couple and then returned whilst battling some minor ailments

Meanwhile United had encouraging wins against quality opposition SEM and NZ, and lost 4 games by <5 pts.

It's difficult to read. I haven't really decided how bad their defensive issues will ultimately be. That's what will decide their season. The other issue will be whether Vickerman benches CG again when Prather returns ( he should)

Reply #772181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"That's the thing though, their start hasn't actually been that poor

No Prather, CG missed a couple, Barlow missed a couple and then returned whilst battling some minor ailments"

What was Perth's record this time last year when they missed Martin, Brandt and White early on?

Reply #772188 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I've learned not to count Perth out, that organisation seems to almost always get it right.

Few years ago they were dead last on the ladder in December, then ended up winning the Championship.

Last year they had that long slump mid-season, many casual fans and experts thought they would not make the playoffs without a third import.

Somehow they swept Brisbane and cut down the nets of United home court.

Like many other organisations they can make mistakes, DeAndre Daniels, JP Tokoto, Derek Cooke Jnr, Jaron Jackson (twice) and Andre Ingram, but it is how they recover from mistakes that is impressive.

Perth's defence has dropped off from their best, but I think their scoring has improved. Losing to Cairns and Brisbane would be considered failings but it's early season....we will have to see more to make a call.

Reply #772189 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

What am I missing?
A lot of what LV said is accurate. He didn't say we're crap, he said it's been a shaky (but successful) start, and it has.

We've won close games, but I'd say that's a positive. Being able to execute under pressure and hit clutch baskets helps win rings.

I think the issue of "upside" for us, is that it will need to be a lot of small things, rather than simply "new import" or "player X back from injury"

Hunt has shown what he can offensively against weak D, but what we need is for him to be able to also score against Bogut, etc.
Cotton has had some poor games, hopefully that won't continue.
If Jook can start nailing his put-backs and hitting freethrows, then he can become a real force off the bench.
Vague has improved, but in many games has struggled to find his role.
Norton has shown that he can be an offensive weapon, but needs to be more consistent.

Reply #772196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People are underrating how comfortable White looks this season. He was inconsistent last year until the finals, but this year he has been pretty much equal with Cotton in terms of importance. His jump shot is gorgeous, and can shoot over anybody in the league.

Reply #772200 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Not playing remotely close, still 6-2. Last season we had player's out left right and centre and still got w's.

Reply #772369 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Some of you might wanna revisit this thread tonight

Early days, but based on observations of season to date, Sydney and United look like they will build towards a point where they have higher ceilings than Perth

Reply #772370 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

When it's $ time I'll bet red!

Reply #772378 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Who am I kidding, the game tonight showed Sydney and United are at a higher level than Perth right now

And with the likes of Lisch and Prather to return and both teams still to fully settle in after having world cup absentees, new coaches, etc, you'd have to think both teams have more improvement left in them

Reply #772384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth beat this same Melbourne line up twice already champ

Reply #772386 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Uh, you mean when they played at home and beat United without Prather, Goulding and Barlow, by 1 point after losing all game?

In other words they beat half of United's team?

They did win in Melbourne too. You're right

But not to worry- United had what, 5 players at the world cup? They didn't have a pre season. Perth's been running their group for over 12 months. Early days

Reply #772391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're so easy

Reply #772396 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Some of you might wanna revisit this thread tonight

Early days, but based on observations of season to date, Sydney and United look like they will build towards a point where they have higher ceilings than Perth

I don't know what difference tonight makes. We knew this a month ago, right? SYD & MEL clearly invested a lot in their rosters this season.

Reply #772397 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Tonight United proved they can play at a high level for 4 quarters against a likely top 4 opponent.

They also closed out a game- against a team with more experience than anyone, and one of the best closers in the business.

Perth may replace Hunt, or White, or strengthen the roster by signing an Aussie and demoting somebody. So, it's early.

And, this may sound incredibly outlandish but I'm not discounting the possibility of United replacing Trimble either. Not saying is likely, but it's interesting how Vickerman has no hesitation dragging him and is clearly concerned about his D

Reply #772401 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Or, Prather another possibility too.

Fit is everything, it's a brutal business and we've seen stranger things (although did I read Prather signed on for 2? What's his contractual situation then?)

Reply #772402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To shut LV up just agree with him otherwise he won't shut up.

United for 2020:title

Reply #772403 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

United will be champions.

Reply #772404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth may replace Hunt, or White, or strengthen the roster by signing an Aussie and demoting somebody."

White's one of the best players in the league. Super clutch, steps up when it matters, compliments Cotton and the rest so well. No way they're getting rid of him. Just gets underrated because he isn't as flashy as some other stars and is in Cottons shadow.

Reply #772405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am very surprised to see anyone other than D2.0 still talking about replacing White. If there was a draft of NBL imports today he would be in the top 10.

Reply #772410 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

When the duck did I say anything about replacing White?
As I said from before the start of the season, I'd expect him to be more settled from the start this year, and he has been.
I hope he gets more consistent & efficient on the road, and I wish he would get fired up earlier in the games, but he has shown he can stand up when its needed.

NB: All that tonight showed us was that neither Melbourne or Sydney can play defense.

Reply #772413 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Perth may replace Hunt, or White"

White? Now we know you're just fishing!

Reply #772426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Who am I kidding"

Yourself.

Reply #772430 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

White is super clutch. Replacing Hunt is much more likely.

Realistically they only have 3 options to upgrade their roster (assuming Cotton is untouchable, and Next Stars won't happen either). White going seems unlikely but it's still an option. Stranger things have happened

Reply #772432 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[
NB: All that tonight showed us was that neither Melbourne or Sydney can play defense.]

Sydney's already proven they're an awesome defensive team.

As for United, well, Shaun Bruce just played the best game of his entire life and Casper Ware brought his A game. Despite the 100+ tally, United's D wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either.

Reply #772434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This was a good thread.

Reply #788966 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I reckon the thought process is "if I post one each year then when they don't make the playoffs I can go I was right"

30 years later.....

Reply #788983 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Shaky start with a luxurious run home.

Reply #789001 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:15 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754