Jetskii
Years ago

Lamelo Ball to Return Home Before Season’s End

Daily Telegraph Article states that it is rumoured that Lamelo Ball will leave the NBL before Christmas. Is there any truth to this ? I think it would be a bad decision for him personally

Topic #46258 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not winning is detrimental to him staying, fair or not. People WILL look at how his team is performing, as well as him individually. He should have signed with a Perth or Brisbane or SEM Phoenix or even Melbourne United, so he could be in a successful program as well as showcase his talents globally. Even Adelaide, with the style Joey likes to play, would have been a much more sound position for him. I understand why the NBL may have wanted him in Illawarra, but having people see this Hawks team and making a judgement on the NBL based on that is not a strong endorsement.

Reply #772507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #772510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leaving Illawarra in ruin.

Reply #772511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would leave that trash ass team too

Reply #772512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope for the Hawks' and the League's sake that Ball stays the whole season.

But it would be understandable if he left early, what is in it for him? I think he has established himself as a lottery pick, but doubtful it would be #1 at this stage.

If he does leave the Hawks have to take much of the blame, barring the Brooks injury, the situation at the Hawks are their own doing. Poor selection of coach and players, and putting everything on Ball and his 'development' as the drawcard for the season is on them.

Reply #772513 | Report this post

Go Dees  
Years ago

Perhaps they are loosing because of his poor play

Reply #772517 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

The Hawks would be better without him

Reply #772519 | Report this post

A.  
Years ago

You cant blame him. Who wouldn't leave with the opportunity?

Reply #772520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Not winning is detrimental to him staying, fair or not. People WILL look at how his team is performing"

Unless you're an NBA scout or executive, you have no idea what you're talking about on the matter.

Reply #772521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a class above all hawks players, in talent and game sense, hope he stays but can understand why both parties could be happy with this result. Hawks try get on with trying to build something and Ball moving to nba draft. We will all be able to look back when he’s a star with fond memories.

Reply #772522 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I can't say when it would be, but its conceivable that (with the Hawks being so trash) there becomes a point of diminishing return for him.

And yes, the HAWKS are to blame. Blind Freddy could have assembled a better team.

Reply #772524 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Shocked to be sitting here.

Although Hawks still win as they signed LaMelo to a two year deal so will receive compensation regardless.

Reply #772525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back Jordair Jett's fat ass, at least he led this Hawks team to some wins last year.

Reply #772527 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I'm liking that I'm starting to see Jordair mentioned here more and more, humourous as it may be, that guy played D AND could get to the rack. Two things our team desperately need more of ATM.

Reply #772530 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

If LaMelo or RJ leave early, Loeliger and Kestleman will have a hard time reasoning with teams as to why they should pick up a next star. "Oh, your crowds will increase for a few months, but then they might disappear, gutting the ass out of your team and leaving you rushing to find replacements deep into a season you've probably been losing in."

For cash strapped teams, maybe economically it can make sense, but there would be a battle with almost every coach internally about giving a kid like that substantial minutes, as both RJ and LaMelo have received.

"Although Hawks still win as they signed LaMelo to a two year deal so will receive compensation regardless."

No. The NBL paid out the contract. The NBL gets the buy out.

"If he does leave the Hawks have to take much of the blame, barring the Brooks injury, the situation at the Hawks are their own doing. Poor selection of coach and players, and putting everything on Ball and his 'development' as the drawcard for the season is on them."

Agree with this to some extent. The coach is god-awful. The line up is garbage. They probably should have shipped off one of Anderson, Boone or Ogilvy and thrown some more money into another point guard or some competent wing players. There are a lot of kids on the team who may have bright futures but are barely good enough for rotation minutes on that team.

"He's a class above all hawks players, in talent and game sense, hope he stays but can understand why both parties could be happy with this result."

Well, kinda... yes. I have a hard time saying he's better than the stalwart Anderson, or Boone, but let's grant that for the moment. Fact of the matter is LaMelo has way more minutes and usage of the ball than he probably warrants. I think his statistics have been inflated by that. I mean, if you based your team around Craig Moller for some god unknown reason, he could probably give you double digit scoring averages. And in the same sense, on an adequate NBL team, LaMelo would be a 6-7th man off the bench, not given all of the ball and made to do as much as the Hawks make him do.

Hawks are by far the worst team in the league though, and the second place isn't even close.

Reply #772533 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"He's a class above all hawks players"

and is yet to see a shot he doesn't like, even though most of them he doesn't make. Every other team now knows to just give him the 3 and box out for the rebound.

Reply #772534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RJs father has said again recently they're in it till the last game. I think they’re focused on getting him as much experience against men as a means to helping him develop. Based on what I’ve seen so far, he is developing. And there’s no one in College that would have disrupted him late game like Cotton and Martin did, and no team that would have him chase Cotton and White over screens like he had to.

Melo, however, is fickle and the Hawks situation isn’t great either.

Reply #772535 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I thinK RJ will stay. I think LaMelo might only be a month or two away from walking.

Reply #772536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good riddance I say to Lamelo, the circus is a joke with the NBL guaranteeing him minutes. I know he has brought in money for the Hawks & NBL but he is not that good
Can't play defence
Poor shot selection
Can’t run a offence
Poor body language
R.J. is a way better player & has adapted way better into the Breakers systems

Reply #772539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lamelo is more talented than rj and will be the higher draft pick.

Reply #772540 | Report this post

Captain jack  
Years ago

Would be good news for the Hawks if he leaves imo.

They have many issues, but Ball is one of them in terms of building a winning team.

Reply #772541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still don't understand the Lamelo hate. The kid is the best and most talented player on that Hawks roster right now.

Inconsistent and can make bad decisions, but that was always expected from an 18yo. Some of that is also probably a product of how shit this hawks team is. It would have been good to see him on the Wildcats/Kings/Breakers. Hawks are really screwing this season up.

He may leave, but i don't think he will. Scouts are loving his attitude right now and i think walking away will hurt his stock and isn't a great look for his attitude.

As for the losing, it's not ideal. But don't forget he's going to likely get drafted to a shit lottery team. He might want to get used to it. Will be huge for his stock if can single handedly win the Hawks some games later in the year after he matures and gets more experience.

Reply #772542 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The Basketball Show (with Heal and Carfino) recently brought up rumours that there is discontent among Hawks players about LaMelo. The suggestion from Carfino was that Hawks players should be careful when speaking about LaMelo while in cafes.

Watching LaMelo play, he does seem to be more focused on showing off to scouts than winning games. He often goes with the highlight rather than high percentage play. He continues to take deep threes, presumably to demonstrate NBA range, but he's not hitting them at anything close to a good enough clip to warrant taking them. I can understand why people suggest he will draft high due to talent, NBA teams are known to gamble on potential, but talent doesn't necessary translate to being a winner. If he pulls out of the Hawks before the end of the season, I think it makes him look like even more of a loser.

Reply #772549 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I am no Lamelo fanboy, but the kid has talent.
Yes, as has been said before, he still plays like a high-school stud on a dud team, and his shot selection stinks. So maybe give him some other options. His passing, from what I have seen, is very good, he just doesn't do enough of it, maybe cos he hasn't got enough options.

I initially thought that Brooks was a good pairing, on the assumption that Lamelo would play backup. But if you're giving him starter's minutes, and with Brook out anyway, then pair him with a decent SG. Put Blanchfield on the wing, and you have a halfway decent backcourt.

I was a big critic of Jett's jiggling fat arse when he first rolled back into the NBL, and wasn't sure how he would pair with Cedric. But he adapted to the 2 spot well, and also played top notch D.
We ONLY mention him on the basis that he would be CHEAP, and surely lack of money is the only possible explanation for the Sad roster they have assembled.

They also need to sack their coach, and bring in somebody like Nielsen or Dennis.

Reply #772551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't blame him if he goes, he didn’t come here for the money he has plenty of that, he was told it was the 2nd best league in the world. The NBL has a few decent imports but the majority of Australian players are trash. The fiba rules are trash and the home team advantage from the referee’s is blatantly obvious.
The NBL should steep in and come up with a solution to this problem the hawks are having atm then next year move the hawks to western Sydney if Illawarra has no money or interest in being a solid NBL team and then Illawarra can join nbl1 so they can develop players.
If melo leaves the biggest loser will be the NBL itself, no more cash flow and anyone that has pre purchased tickets to see melo around the country.
To the NBL, fix this before the its to late or the NBL will never grow to where you would like it.

Reply #772559 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Good riddance the Hawks would instantly be a better team without him.

Reply #772563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks are trash, didn't help with Brooks getting injured. Coach is no better than a assistant, and Ball can't shoot. So all that combined, of course he won't last the season. That record is not a good look for him and his brand. Im personally over the hype machine the NBL is trying to create with him. The honeymoon period is over, he's not a winner, he is flashy as hell, but that won't win games.... at any level. He isn't a true team player, so no surprise once the Hawks are mathematically done, his tin heart exits.

Reply #772564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(His passing, from what I have seen, is very good, he just doesn't do enough of it, maybe cos he hasn't got enough options.)

It helps if your team mates can catch or play

(Blanchfield on the wing, and you have a halfway decent backcourt.)

Please Blanchfield is trash,

Reply #772568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's interesting because Mike Schultz is on ESPN calling him the most talented player in the draft but also saying the accompanying circus and questions about attitude and motivation are going to make it hard for anyone to take him #1.

Pulling out mid-way through the season of a league that isn't the 2nd-best in the world but is certainly respectable, would not help LaMelo answer the biggest questions about him right now.

It's pretty likely that there will be as much attention paid to what Lonzo does in NOLA this season as there is to what LaMelo does here. If Lonzo rights the ship, it sends the message that with a bit of maturity and separation from Lavar, the boys are capable of living up to their potential. If Lonzo continues to struggle, front offices will worry that LaMelo is going to have the same sorts of issues, and focus on lower-risk options.

Reply #772577 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No. The NBL paid out the contract. The NBL gets the buy out.

Correct - I meant to say NBL not Hawks.

Reply #772578 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I really liked the look of the Hawks squad in preseason, maybe Boone was questionable as they needed a 4 but I loved the experience mixed with hungry talented kids.

The issue for everyone involved here is that the coach is not up to standard and is letting the league down. Imagine if Bevo or Gordie got their hands on this squad, they'd have more wins for sure

Reply #772717 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:39 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754