Mystro
Years ago

Glen Rice Jnr arrested in Auckland

Apparently was arrested in Auckland city in a night club.
Announcement to come on NZ news.

Queue, I told you so comments and go.....

Topic #46344 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cue

Reply #774597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #774598 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Thursday morning incident in a bar, arrested for assault with intent to injure. Court apearence to come.
Still expected to play in Perth.

Described by Matt Walsh as a scuffle with some dudes.

Reply #774599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. That was a lot faster than even I expected. What was he doing in a bar in the "early hours" the night before the team has a road trip to Perth?

Reply #774600 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Well that didn't take long just 2 games.

Reply #774602 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

If found guilty of the offence, wouldn't he be barred from entering Australia?

Depends on when his day in court is I suppose.

Reply #774603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shouldn't be allowed in Perth

Reply #774604 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He's in Perth and hasn’t been convicted of anything yet.

Reply #774605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers are a disgrace.

Reply #774606 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Well he hasn't been found guilty in a court of law yet.

Reply #774607 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Nut the Breakers should have immediately suspended him pending investigation but this ia Matt Walsh at the front office.

Reply #774608 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If the Breakers let him play in the game against Perth it would sum up how desperate the club has become.

Signing him was bad enough but continuing to play him after he's been arrested for assaulting someone already?

Hopefully the NBL step in here.

Reply #774610 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Described by Matt Walsh as a scuffle with some dudes."

Yeah, but NZ Police are pretty chill. They don't arrest and charge someone if its a "Scuffle".

Reply #774611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow so many racists on here

Reply #774613 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

The Perth crowd will probably have a field day which will fire him up.

He will either score 45 or punch someone out, 50/50 whether its a Perth player or a Ref.

Reply #774615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed with MACDUB. This is the NZ, not Australian, police. If it was just a scuffle they would have been pragmatic. An arrest is serious.

Reply #774616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are people racist on here.
Wtf do you mean by that #613?
Nobody has mentioned race.

Reply #774617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It looks like he's may be charged with assault with intent to injure. That’s more than just common assault or a scuffle. It sounds like he really hurt someone / some people. Up to 3 years imprisonment.

Reply #774618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"or punch someone out, 50/50 whether its a Perth player or a Ref."

You forgot to include teammates too

Reply #774619 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I would say he's out when he gets back from Perth.

Reply #774620 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The way the Breakers is being ran right now is like a group of mates with no experience just bought a basketball team for fun - there's no sense of professionalism and everything just seems like its 'not that big of a deal'.

Young and edgy (associated with young people stuff like Barstools), hip and cool (flatpeak cap) but in over his/their head.

Reply #774623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you wait until he's back from Perth? The Breakers need to show some integrity and axe him immediately

Reply #774625 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Colour me surprised.

Reply #774626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha wow... not surprising at all!

Proves how stupid the Breakers for signing this walking red flag

Reply #774630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Innocent till proven guilty.

Reply #774633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He might be innocent in a court of law. Doesn't mean the Breakers have to retain him.

Reply #774636 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hopefully after all the future fuckups that will no doubt occur under this Walsh regime there will be someone willing to buy the Breakers from him despite the tarnished goodwill.

Reply #774637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the out drinking late in a nightclub ahead of a tough road trip when they're trying to get their season back on track is enough to axe him forget what happens with the arrest.

Reply #774644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is all over the media in NZ.

Maybe this is part of Walsh's grand plan. Stay in the news each week, stay relevant, sell tickets. Attendance is up, even if everything else is down.

Reply #774646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't teams frown upon in season nightclub trips.
Shouldn't the breakers punish him for that alone.

Reply #774647 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"or punch someone out, 50/50 whether its a Perth player or a Ref."

Might be time to keep Martin on the bench

Reply #774682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Walsh would have suspended Rice, but he was already suspended himself.

Reply #774707 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Early hours of the morning in Auckland is equivalent to a perfectly reasonable time of the evening in WA.
Clearly he was just trying to get his body clock into sync for a scuffle in Northbridge.
That's called professionalism.

Reply #774717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rice Jr is misunderstood is is renown for playing peacemaker. Look at how he kept Abercrombie out of trouble after the Madgen flop that got RJ kicked last week.

Reply #774718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Walsh has said he's innocent until proven guilty, which is fair enough

Reply #774752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Well that didn't take long just 2 games."

I saw the way he fouled out in the first game. It was obvious, that he clearly had, had enough.
Piss poor. IMO

Reply #774754 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

The NBL and BA have stepped in:

"The NBL has directed the SKY Sport New Zealand Breakers to stand down Glen Rice Jr from today's game against the Perth Wildcats at RAC Arena following an incident in Auckland last Thursday.

The incident has been referred to the Basketball Australia integrity unit to conduct an investigation. Rice Jr is not prevented from training or other club commitments.

The NBL will monitor the outcome of the Basketball Australia investigation and make no further comment at this stage."

Reply #774846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love how the NBL had to step in an make a decision for the basket case of a franchise

Reply #774849 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Walsh basically over-riden by the NBL. I like.

Reply #774852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is some bullshit, screws my fantasy team. Fuck you NBL.

Reply #774853 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I am shocked by this move from the NBL. It is consistent with professional sport.

Reply #774855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is not the right call for the league to make.

They oversee a basketball competition.

They should not make legal, moral or ethical decisions of this nature.

This is a massive overstep.

Reply #774871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers should seek an injunction.

Reply #774875 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Piss poor of the Breakers to not have suspended him fist.
Being out in the wee hours getting shit-faced should be an automatic suspension for any professional sport in this century. Allegations of trying to injure somebody really put it over the top.

Reply #774893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they were playing anyone other than Perth he would have played. They need Perth to win to keep up with the inflated rosters of Sydney and Melbourne.

Reply #774898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't help but thinking that if Walsh hadn't ripped into Loeliger this may not have happened.

Reply #774899 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm honestly surprised anyone thinks that there is a single player in the league who wouldn't have been sitting this game out if they'd been arrested in a bar in the early hours of the morning. Biggest difference is that it's the team that would've sat them out, rather than the league.

Reply #774907 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Angus, which speaks to how poorly run the Breakers are that the league had to step in and save them from disgracing themselves.

Reply #774913 | Report this post

Go Dees  
Years ago

This dude is just a simple hood rat

Once the fledgling basketball career is done he'll be another statistic in the hood

Reply #774915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How dumb is Rice? He couldn't even keep his shit together for two weeks.

Reply #774945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the Breakers should have suspended him (lots of people speculating on the facts). But it is not the leagues place to do so.

Reply #774948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will look stupid on the league's part if there is not much to this and it has been blown up beyond proportion. But given Rice's history and Walsh's reputation, one could argue the league has taken a positive proactive step (In case things are even worse than the speculation).

Reply #774950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If they were playing anyone other than Perth he would have played. They need Perth to win to keep up with the inflated rosters of Sydney and Melbourne."

Oh dear.

Reply #774953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hood rat, son of multiple all star and maybe HOF player, strongly doubt he grew up in "hood". Probably still got your price tags on your Anthony Davis jersey if you don't know his dad. Ps, the junior part gives it away.

Reply #774968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rice Sr must be ashamed of Rice Jr.

Reply #774970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to innocent till proven guilty, yes Rice is a stupid f..kwit but if it's proved not guilty, where does the league stand then.

Reply #774973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The wildcats kept Tiny Pinder which makes the 1991 title tainted as he was found guilty in 1992 wrecking Perth's chance of a three peat.

Reply #774977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" What happened to innocent till proven guilty, yes Rice is a stupid f..kwit but if it's proved not guilty, where does the league stand then."

They can probably rely on the precedent in De Belin v NRL. De Belin didn't play the entire 2019 NRL season even though his case still hasn’t gone to trial?

Either way, I think the league has only stood down Rice from this game while everyone gets more information. I imagine that will all come out this week. If Rice is in trouble then the leagues actions are justified. If this turns out to be not much then the league might look a little silly especially given how crucial this game was for theBreakers.

Reply #774980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It will look stupid on the league's part if there is not much to this and it has been blown up beyond proportion. But given Rice's history and Walsh's reputation, one could argue the league has taken a positive proactive step (In case things are even worse than the speculation"

No that arguement is wrong. History and reputation are irrelevant. Innocent until proven guilty.

Reply #775062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
I agree, it's not up to the league to play policemen, a bar room skirmish isn’t rape or murder. NZ though should kept an eye on him though so he was at home and not night clubbing.

Reply #775065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"isn't rape or murder"
If you're saying "innocent until proven guilty" then on that logic rape or murder should be treated the same way.

The fact is, he's been charged by NZ Police with a serious offence involving violence, and his participation in the match would be bad for the Breakers and bad for the league. It sounds like the Breakers were hoping they could close their eyes and do nothing until after the match - this is not OK.

This is sad - in the past the Breakers have been one of the best-run clubs with a strong family focus. What does it say about the club's values that they were prepared to basically ignore this and just wait and see?

Reply #775086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"t's not up to the league to play policemen"

The league has a different set of rules that they expect players to follow ie the Code of Conduct. If they decided he broke that, then they are absolutely within their rights to act.

Not just that, but it was absolutely moronic for the Breakers NOT to suspend him.

Reply #775089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No that arguement is wrong. History and reputation are irrelevant. Innocent until proven guilty.“

A lawyer might suggest you consider the concept of “propensity" under NZ law.

Reply #775101 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Corey Webster was charged with Assault after a fight in a bar in 2016, he wasn't stood down by the league.
Leon Henry, Reuben TeRangi and Shea Ili were convicted of Assault after bashing a doorman in 2014 or 15 . The league didn't feel the need to suspend anyone and let the NZ Justice System run it's course.

Reply #775107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The lesson to be learnt is, if you're going to get arrested for fighting, then do it during the NBL off season

Reply #775110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take out from all of this.....NZ are a basket case. Abercrombie must be wondering what the hell he has gotten himself in to.

Reply #775112 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not really Abercrombie re-signed to a 3 year deal before last season under the new ownership and then on the eve of the start of the season opener this season signed another 1 year contract extension.

He would know they're doing this to keep a link to the locals and the previous regime and he's taking it to the bank.

Reply #775114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Corey Webster was charged with Assault after a fight in a bar in 2016, he wasn't stood down by the league."

Webster hadn't arrived in the country only ten days prior, with a history of violent incidents both on and off the court.

Reply #775120 | Report this post

Cares 92  
Years ago

Where was Aylen and Mayberry over this round. Has the League finally realised that this pair are incompetent, though the rest of the panel are little better.

Reply #775123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those are really good points Mystro. Arguably, the precedent is that the justice system takes it course. Unless, of course, this "scuffle" was so bad that it was well way beyond those events. But it's not likely it is. If it was Rice jnr would be locked up or if out would have his passport surrendered.

I wonder if the league is after Walsh now. I don’t know how they justify the $3k fine and one game suspension on appeal given the wet bus tickets handed out in the past.

Reply #775131 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

"Webster hadn't arrived in the country only ten days prior, with a history of violent incidents both on and off the court."

No his issues were smoking weed and then almost blowing his career smoking synthetic weed.

Reply #775133 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I can't find the article now but I read one that said if found guilty Rice could receive a maximum sentence of three years in jail. It was obviously a fair bit more than a scuffle.

Reply #775134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure smoking weed is not in the same category as numerous violent indiscretions.

Reply #775135 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Webster got lucky that he was discharged without conviction or he won't be playing in the NBL as he wouldn't get an entry visa

Reply #775137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently Rice couldn't sleep and wanted something to eat. So he went all the way from the North Shore to Auckland’s CBD to an area with several night clubs, including strip joints and brothels.

And then he has the gall to ask for a second chance when his scuffle resulted in an ambulance being called.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2019/11/basketball-breakers-bad-boy-glen-rice-jr-apologises-for-arrest-awaits-court-date.html

Rice must think New Zealanders and Australians are stupid. But the person who really must think we are stupid to make us all put up with this shit is Matt Walsh.

If Walsh was just an employee I’d be asking for his resignation.

Reply #775141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mayberry was in nz reffing the womens Olympic qualifying games.

Reply #775146 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

The New Zealand Breakers have released the following statement.

The New Zealand Breakers have suspended Glen Rice Junior indefinitely following an incident in Auckland during the early hours of last Thursday morning.

Mr Rice was arrested and charged with assaulted and is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday.

Breakers owner Matt Walsh says new information has come to light since he last spoke about the incident on Saturday night.

"I respect our legal process in New Zealand and firmly believe that you are innocent until proven guilty," said Mr Walsh.

"However, regardless of the outcome of Glen's court appearance, there is no denying he has let down the club, our fans and the New Zealand public after we gave him this lifeline.

"I put structures in place, which I thought would prevent any problems happening, but I was wrong."

Mr Rice has accepted an offer from Mr Walsh for professional medical help, and the player had his first appointment today after flying in from Perth this morning.

"In many ways, I feel responsible in a situation where there are no winners," said Mr Walsh.

"Glen is a tremendously talented basketballer, but I expect our players to be professional both on and off the court.

"I feel it is my duty to assist Glen in paying his accomodation, legal and medical costs while he remains in our country and settles his business.

"But I also have no option but to remove him from the team."

Reply #775150 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ have suspended him indefinitely now.

The Club looks like a circus and they are still struggling to win.
I wonder how the key sponsors are feeling along with Hamptons family & agent?

Reply #775151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Walsh, this was so dumb. This has distracted the team and ruined the reputation of the Breakers even if you had already ruined yours. From an on court point of view, surely you could have picked up a decent 4/5 who would have helped plug the inside in Loe and Delany's absence that wasn’t a total basket case off the court. Now you have to waste unnecessary time and money supporting someone, which will further distract the team when it needs all hands on deck to get its season on track. I hope you have finally learned your lesson.

Reply #775152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" I wonder how the key sponsors are feeling along with Hamptons family & agent?"

Say goodbye to another Next Star.

Reply #775153 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

"This dude is just a simple hood rat
Once the fledgling basketball career is done he'll be another statistic in the hood”

Lol your pretty ignorant. Black man with dreads who gets into legal trouble and he is a hood rat.

That is just stupidity.

Reply #775154 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think honestly Walsh thought he had the appropriate structures in place to keep him on the straight and narrow and help him out by giving him a chance to play.
Plenty of egg on his face now but what unrepairable damage has been done to the Breakers brand from this fiasco?

Reply #775157 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Only positive thing I can say about all this is that it's a classy move by Walsh to try and help him.

Reply #775159 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Fall from Grace Mystro Dillon Boucher saw the writing on the wall.

Reply #775160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NFL have been running for years with all media is good media. So many people who never achieved anything ready to put the knife into the breakers. A bad call on Rice by the looks of it but they've had no luck at all on injuries, a few calls against them and some close losses. Hopefully the breakers will be fine and it’s good for the competition to have a strong NZ.

Reply #775162 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"This dude is just a simple hood rat
Once the fledgling basketball career is done he'll be another statistic in the hood"

Lol your pretty ignorant. Black man with dreads who gets into legal trouble and he is a hood rat.
Do you really think the dreads or legal trouble were a factor in Go Dees's choice of words here?

Reply #775169 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think Walsh's heart and motives were in the right place but his business brain should have put the club, fans and sponsors first.
Auckland CBD is a shithole after dark and it isn’t much better by day.
So many assholes drunk and/or high picking fights in packs and a few visiting music groups (mostly hip hop artists) have been caught up in street fights as a result. They are targets being Americans who look gangster so these Idiots can skite on social media to their peers. Glen Rice Jnr also fits that bill but shouldn’t have put himself in that situation by being in a bar in town at those hours, it was never going to end well.

Reply #775178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its clear now that Walsh has got zero plans in place to curb player behaviour.

Reply #775179 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Rice suspended indefinitely by NZ today and will face court this week.

Reply #775182 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Abercrombie strikes me as a mild mannered guy

They need some strong leadership in the playing group.

Maybe offer Vukona a development coach role for next season.

Reply #775203 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree, Ronaldson, Vukona, Henare, Bruton & even Boucher were much louder voices in the huddle and practice gym than anybody on the current roster and it's showing.

Reply #775225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back Cedric Jackson. Make NZ great again!

Reply #775228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glen Rice Jnr pleads not guilty.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/117554825/nz-breakers-recruit-glen-rice-jr-pleads-not-guilty-to-assault-charge

This makes things a little bit interesting. The case won't be heard until February 2020. Does BA now uplift the sanction at least until the trial?

Reply #775615 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Hopson's back this weekend so it's a moot point now.

Which explains why the Breakers finally suspended Rice.

Reply #775618 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

BA won't need to uplift their sanction as NZ has an indefinite ban in place.
He won’t play again for the Breakers bit will likely remain in the country at NZ/Walsh’s expense until his legal issues are resolved.

Reply #775620 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great news about Hopson, just need some positive news with Rob Loe.

Reply #775621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And here's an idea NZ. Don't f..k Braswell over. Can't help but think the Karma train pulled into Auckland station.

Reply #775624 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754