Anonymous
Years ago

Sydney Kings salary

Sydney are now pushing a $2m+ roster does anyone know the breakdown? Cooks at 372k a year. Bogut on multi year 1m. What's the rest?

Topic #46424 | Report this topic

old mate  
Years ago

Is their a point? There is no salary cap. Only a minimum spend.
So what is all this crap?

Reply #777208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All we know so far:

Bogut 1,000,000
Ware 800,000
Cooks 372,000

Reply #777212 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow, Violet Crumbles are expensive these days.

Reply #777214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suck it up princesses! Whatever they go over they pay the NBL 100%

Reply #777223 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

All we know so far:

Bogut 1,000,000
Ware 800,000
Cooks 372,000
We don't actually know any of those things.

Reply #777224 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Apparently Bogut was 1mil over 2 years (plus part ownership). But that, much like every other figure floating around, is speculation.

Reply #777225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why speculate on Sydney kings player payments? You're all just pissing in the wind.

Reply #777227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are in like a quarter of that. It's bullsh*t

Reply #777228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If wildcats had same salary we wouldn't have lost a game

Reply #777230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wasn't 1m over two years.. it was 1m per, two year contract, with 5% ownership and other incentives. I know this first hand.

Reply #777235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Whatever they go over they pay the NBL 100%"

What does the NBL do with that money?

Reply #777239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay on $450000 Cotton and White $750000 each, you see it's easy, you want to no more just ask me.

Reply #777242 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kay has already skyrocketed up another 50k this year, nice.

Reply #777244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, bonuses. If he averages over 30mpg and 7rebs this year he will get another 25k extra next year

Reply #777247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth are in like a quarter of that. It's bullsh*T"

cats fans crying over another team outspending them. boo f**king hoo, karma's a bitch.

Reply #777249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe this is Bogut's last year. After this he retires and $1m comes off the books. So it's only a short term high salary for the Kings.

Reply #777251 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

You have to love the double standards.

When there was actually a salary cap, a Points cap, no marquees, only two imports, and guys like DD were considered legit, you couldn't read a thread in here without somebody accusing the Wildcats of somehow massively cheating the salary cap.

Now, there is no cap, nothing to stop the Kings spending $5M if they had a mind to, 3 imports, guys like Bogut, Newley, and Now Cooks brought back to the league.
And everyone's like "Oh no, Sydney couldn't possibly be spending more money than Perth or Melbourne".
FFS.

Terrible having to point out the bloody obvious like this, but it doesn't matter where you set the scale.

Hawks and Cairns are spending around the floor. Maybe a bit more depending on how the subsidies work.
NZ look to be spending a bit more but not too much more, hard to say.
Adelaide more, but not a huge amount.
Brissy Hard to say, Some players would obviously be on good coin, but others not.
SEM its hard to say, but I imagine Creek and Madgen wouldn't be too cheap.
I'd expect them to get closer to MU & Perth over time as they lock in better players.
Hard to pick between Perth and MU, A lot would ride on whether Martin & Wagstaff took big pay cuts, how much White wanted to return, and what they're paying Hunt. On MU's side, how much competition there was for Trimble and Long. Either way, whether its $2M, or $3M, its clear they both outspend most of the competition.

Then you have Sydney.
No, I don't personally know what Bogut is getting paid.
But I do find it far more plausible that he is the highest paid player in the league, than claims he's playing for peanuts and chose Sydney (and Gaze) because he looks good in Purple.
Similarly with Ware. Whether you believe MU low-balled him, that by definition means he left for more money. Putting Bogut to one side, Ware was far and away the best import in the League last season. Why would you expect he's not being rewarded for that, especially after he's switched teams?

Sure, any idiot can make up some story about any player and claim they're doing it for love and earning much less than everyone thinks. But I doubt that applies to the Entire Sydney team.

Again at the risk of pointing out the bleeding obvious, these players all have agents who do all the negotiating for them. These agents KNOW what most other players are getting, and they also shop their players around and know what they can get in other leagues.
So sorry, but if you honestly think Ware's agent stitched him up with a deal earning less money than Cotton, White, and Trimble, then I'm afraid you are beyond help.

TL;DR It doesn't matter whether you think Sydney are spending $4M, $3M, or $5M, they are obviously spending significantly more than anyone else.

Reply #777258 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

If you hire a really good coach, and then he puts together a really good team, and then he out coach's everybody else, then don't be surprised if more people come and spend more money on hot dogs and merchandise and cokes, and get more and better sponsors , which means you can go out and get better players. It's not rocket science. I predict more owners will try this approach.

Reply #777263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imports have always earned more than there Australian counterparts, Bogut aside, United have Long, Trimble and Prather who were all in the league previously with huge reputations, yet most believe Sydney pay the most, I doubt it. McCarron, Goulding, would be on greater pay than Lisch and Newley as well. Illi, Barlow and Pledger would be on reasonable money as well certainly more than Bruce and Moller.

Cotton would be the highest paid player in the league till Bogut got here, Kay and Norton on good money as well. White held out till he got paid what he's wanted and was mvp in grand final so it not small change. Martin and Wagstaff are multiple premiership players so would be well paid. Steindl was heading to Phoenix until Perth upped the offer to keep him. Hunt is a budget import but still gets good pay as he’s an import, Tate also a budget import so around the same.

Go through each list and the money the top four even five teams won’t be that much different.

Reply #777265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just waiting for our Wildcats to match Sydney's spending and then we will dominate

Reply #777271 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Things have got stupid in the NBL frankly with the salary cap.

I think we're in the territory of overpaying players.

The whole salary floor has just been lifted when it probably didn't need to. Guys who were getting "X" are now getting "X +". There's so many guys in the NBL who could be paid far less and would still be in the league (teams are basically just paying overs/premiums now).

Reply #777273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I questioned the bottom 5 getting $400k+ when it first came in. It's a joke as is the soft cap and no cap.
The NBL is exactly where it was before the points cap was introduced and everyone is getting WAY overpaid. It's laughable.

Reply #777281 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Go through each list and the money the top four even five teams won't be that much different.

But that would require people to get over their own team bias and look at things logically and with an open mind, and we can't have that...

Reply #777282 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Just because you can pay a guy "X" doesn't mean you actually have to pay it. I do miss the old days where guys were paid "X" and that was what teams could pay.

Now, I only see the strong becoming stronger. Because if you assume that the top 3 or 4 spending teams are spending even just a couple of hundred thousand to a mil above the bottom 4 - then that probably gives them an extra spread of $20k to $100k on each player.

Of course quality players are going to continue to bleed to the best teams if they can get extra money in that ballpark. The difference over a 3 year deal for example becomes substantial.

Looking at it proportionally, the salary cap issues and differentials are huge. Imagine if an NBA team (or other teams in big leagues) had a 2 x salary over others. Imagine the Lakers with a $218m soft cap whilst others had $109m. Can't forgot the size of this issue when we take into account proportionality.

Reply #777292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't the bottom five now up to 500g.

You get quality imports and decent Australian players staying in the nbl with more money, you can’t have good players without them being paid good money or they go elsewhere. Even Cairns has got three quality imports now so the standard has risen. Noi and Deng would be on reasonable money as well.
To avoid all the grief the league should publish overall team salaries so at least there would be no argument on the taxes being paid. It would help a lot on who is the best coach, Vickerman and Gleeson got good records but always got good players.The league should also tell the public how much is going to each of the subsidised clubs.
More than likely won’t happen as there is not thing as bad publicity.

Reply #777319 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I estimated up to 3.15mil for Sydney's player salaries, prior to signing Cooks

Now they have Cooks, they've gotta be the highest paid team in NBL history

Reply #777337 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

MACDUB correct and I've said it before - in what seems like a blink of an eye NBL players (specifically the locals) have gone from being underpaid to massively overpaid.

Reply #777340 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Based on numerous complex calculations and celestial alignments I estimate the Kings salary to range somewhere between $1 mil and LV's guesstimation of $3.15 mil.

Reply #777342 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I don't think players are overpaid, if we want them to remain in Australia then we have to pay them in comparison to overseas otherwise they will all just leave.

Reply #777346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"range somewhere between $1 mil and LV's guesstimation of $3.15 mil."

Thats definitely probably correct. Or probably definitely.

Reply #777348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$1m yeah right. $1m on Bogut's salary alone. Many insiders have already confirmed this. I would say $2.5m+

Reply #777349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't Bogut come under the Marquee player rule? Basically capping his salary in relation to the salary cap (and a soft cap at that).

Do people really want a mediocre league, with end of bench guys as the 'stars' because all the quality Aussies are earning coin in Europe, and all the better imports are chasing Renminbi and running up their stats? I for one welcome the NBLs poster child Dan Grida dominating 500 seat gyms.

Reply #777357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV

I estimate United salary to be 4 million maybe five this season.Last season and this season United highest paid team ever. I know I'm right because I know people at Melbourne.

Reply #777359 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bogut is on 500k
Ware 700ish

Lisch, Newley, Cooks, Didi, Kickert, Tate would be on good coin

Moller would not be on chump change either.

Who are their bottom 5? I presume Walker, Bruce, Hunter must be on absolute peanuts if they're truly keeping to the rules

Reply #777361 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Since they have 12 players they get away with using 5 of 12 instead of 5 of 11 like teams without a Next Star?

So they may be ok

But overall salary would be highest ever in NBL.

Reply #777363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I estimate United salary to be 4 million maybe five this season.Last season and this season United highest paid team ever. I know I'm right because I know people at Melbourne."

You know people who told you made up figures for you to estimate their entire salary? Ok then.

Reply #777366 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Imports have always earned more than there Australian counterparts, Bogut aside, United have Long, Trimble and Prather who were all in the league previously with huge reputations, yet most believe Sydney pay the most, I doubt it"

And people still cant pull their heads out far enough to admit the truth.

Firstly imports were only earning more prior to the Marquee rule(s) and then the abolishment of the salary cap. This had the desired effected of bringing back to the league guys like Jawai, Lisch, Andersen, Newley, Maric, and now Magden, Creek, and Cooks.

"who were all in the league previously with huge reputations"
And then you conveniently omit Ware, who should be the highest paid import in Australia.

Reply #777367 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Since they have 12 players they get away with using 5 of 12 instead of 5 of 11 like teams without a Next Star?
Next Stars don't count as players for salary/roster cap purposes.

Lisch, Newley, Cooks, Didi, Kickert, Tate would be on good coin
Didi isn't on anything.

Reply #777371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't even follow Sydney but follow the league on general. Sydney get a smart business man owner for once and start to show signs of being competitive to outstanding and every man and his dog is crying. Some of the previous examples are tongue in cheek to try show how ridiculous people guesses really are. No one knows except owners and the league.

By being neutral I’ve always admired the wildcats and how they managed the books but quite often there sides were the best paid talent but that’s ok because it’s not Sydney. It’s the same with United, there sides even before Vickerman got there were expensive rosters and the last few seasons at the top.

My point here is congratulations to Sydney they are are doing fine job which is good for the league and basketball in this country and IF they have spent more it’s not that far above the other high fliers.

Reply #777372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is he a smart business owner? All he is done is throw lots of money around. It remains to be seen if that is a smart decision or not.

Reply #777373 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Only $160k of Bogut's $1 million salary counts against the cap.

Bogut's contract figure won’t be divulged by the NBL or Sydney, but it’s understood he will earn close to $1 million.

Only $160,000 of this deal will count on the Kings’ salary cap, which is part of the NBL’s local marquee signing set-up.

The NBL changed to a "soft cap" of $1.1 million in 2016, meaning teams may exceed the soft cap provided that they pay a salary equalisation subsidy.

These funds can be filtered down to franchises that don’t exceed the limit.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/andrew-bogut-nbl-boss-larry-kestelman-says-historic-sydney-kings-deal-is-just-the-beginning/news-story/66619e892793abf1d81365ebe704ef32

Reply #777375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's smart because he has money to spend, Sydney crowds have been good and family tickets very affordable, he’s making money and he’s putting it back into the business. The man comes from Illawarra, he didn’t approach the hawks he went for the big market team. Again Perth has a very wealthy owner for years and has won numerous premiership in the last decade but that’s ok it’s not Sydney.

Reply #777384 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

You'd think that Kestleman is banking on getting a decent television/streaming rights deal in the next 2-3 years. Otherwise the NBL would surely go broke?

Averaged per player, AFL has a salary cap about twice NBL's. But AFL crowds average about 5 times NBL crowds during the home and away season and AFL team memberships average about 10 times NBL team memberships.

With these crowds and membership numbers, AFL only made an operating profit in 2018 because of the massive tv rights income - $418 million per year - and 4 AFL clubs ran at a loss. While cost structures would be somewhat different for teams in the two leagues, I find it hard to look at these numbers and see the NBL as a going concern without a healthy tv/streaming revenue deal in the near future. That becomes even harder to see if some NBL team salaries are substantially above the cap.

Numbers from AFL 2018 Annual Report.

Reply #777386 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's not like this is the first time Sydney are top spenders in the league, although a lot of the defensive comments seem to be coming from the point of view that suggests so.

Wrublewski ended up with crumble and so did Macquarie. Will TSE continue the tradition?

Reply #777394 | Report this post

old mate  
Years ago

Pretty sure the AFL salary cap is about $12mill? Peter John. So I don't place any credence an anything else you say.
Pretty sure an average AFL club runs at a conservative $50mill or so. Often more.
BTW, the NBL has never had a decent TV coverage, EVER, yet they have survived.
Your points are confused an inaccurate.
The AFL only made $418mill. profit and clubs lost money?
There might be 1 club that makes money in the NBL.
Yet they survive. For how much longer I don't know.

LK has United, Bullets, Phoenix and some say Adel and Illawarra in his ownership and the NBL.
He wants to own a team in Tassie as well and expand too.
Makes sense, said no one ever.
So many one eyed fans that simply don't see and recognise the truth.

Reply #777399 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Didi isn't on anything]

Didi would be on good coin. Who's paying doesn't matter- Sydney would still have the most expensive roster, by a meaningful margin.

Reply #777412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, It's simple.

There are teams whose management and coaches who do a good job.

And then there are teams like Sydney.

Adelaide and Joey have been putting out competitive teams for years and they have done it without going bust.

Perth and the Breakers were subject to the same salary and points cap as everyone else. Difference was they had people who knew what the fuck they were doing. They were patient, they build a core, they built a team, they built a following and then they hired the right imports to top it off.

At the same time teams like Sydney kept trying to buy a ring every year. They changed players like underpants and off the court they were a shambles.

When Kestleman took over Melbourne he started doing the same thing as Perth. Building patiently. Of course he hired good players but at the time he was subject to the same caps as everyone else. It might have paid off earlier if not for Demopolis.

Look at Cairns. A community based club with a tight budget, yet every year they find good imports and put out a competitive team.

Hawks and Breakers should be much better but theyre not because their management couldn't organise a root in a brothel

Reply #777430 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:19 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754