Anonymous
Years ago

Hampton to Sixers was essentially a done deal: Wright

Interesting that Joey said the Sixers had RJ Hampton locked up until something happened at the last minute:

"Ferguson's success story kickstarted the New Stars program but Wright remains disappointed his Sixers missed out on Hampton after being the first club to reach out.

"It's a long story," grimaced Wright, who played against Hampton's father Rod at college.

"Terrance was the one who kicked it off ... and we really set the wheels in motion to get RJ as well.

"We had that pretty much locked down and done deal but lost it at the last minute.""

Topic #46437 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't be turning down a much bigger offer with nz.

Reply #777435 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Its called money Joey

Reply #777450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey lining up those excuses.

Reply #777451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's not wrong though. This was going to be RJ to the Sixers before the NBL stepped in. They wanted Hampton in NZ. I’m not an Adelaide fan, but fair is fair. Joey had the family relationship with the Hamptons and cultivated the whole thing with RJ. But Kestelman, for whatever reason, didn’t want Adelaide to have what was essentially another Next Star after Joey kicked off the whole idea of the Next Stars program with the Ferguson recruitment. That’s another thing BTW. The NBL likes to take all the credit for coming up with and establishing the Next Stars program, but those who know, know. The idea came from Joey Wright in the first place. It’s about time he started getting some of the credit for it too.

Reply #777457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for posting Joey. He chose to bring in a high school kid named Terrance Ferguson to usurp isle a coveted import spot. The kid was terrible, the 6ers weren't deep enough come playoff time, he should’ve been cut.

Reply #777462 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

The Sixers started the season shockingly that year. It wasn't until Joey reshaped the starting 5, inserted Ferguson into it and Sixers went on a winning streak. Playing lock down defence on opposition imports, including shutting down casper.

Reply #777464 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The same people complaining that they didn't get Hampton are the exact same people who would be complaining if the 36ers went and paid overs to get Hampton (which they would have had to do).

I thought it was a good decision in the end.

Are NZ really getting that good of an investment on what they are paying? Hampton is a good player to have don't get me wrong - but does the output justify what he is being paid? (Also I think the off-the-court publicity/marketability for Hampton hasn't been that strong - certainly not like LaMelo - although the Breakers are at teh bottom of the table. Could be different if they were top 2).

NZ could have plugged some big gaps in their team with Hampton's cash.

Reply #777467 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Joey lining up those excuses.
Or just telling the story, which is of interest to people here.

The Sixers didn't even keep their import PG they started with and Hampton's team is last, so I don't know if I'd see it as an excuse.

Reply #777472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's an interesting situation and all, and it’s more interesting than the kings threads. But, Joey is known for his excuses, forgive me for the knee jerk reaction. It’s been his ammo.

Hampton included in the current 6ers lineup, would make for a massive upgrade on teys/white type. As is, the 6ers are built for 4-6 place.

Reply #777475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Sixers started the season shockingly that year. It wasn't until Joey reshaped the starting 5, inserted Ferguson into it and Sixers went on a winning streak."

Ferguson was by far their worst +/- player and was hurting the team. Wright was smart enough to realise if he put him in the starting line-up surrounded by his best players then he could just play a role.

Reply #777478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah the last thing I thought was, that Ferguson was some sort of saviour once being put in the starting 5. Where was he in the finals? Hawks should've never one that series. Adelaide were one decent import extra away from home court in the championship series.

Reply #777480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they misspelt Hampton's name on the contract? ;)

Reply #777488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Hampton looked at the cultures of both clubs are realised NZ's was superior.

Reply #777489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MACDUB's comment is a fair one. Hampton does something amazing then let’s himself down. He’ll be a star in the NBA but he cannot run a team properly yet.

Reply #777522 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Hampton included in the current 6ers lineup, would make for a massive upgrade on teys/white type. As is, the 6ers are built for 4-6 place."

You're comparing apples with oranges though.

Of course, a starting player/6th man who plays 22mpg (Hampton) is likely to be an upgrade on guys who play 11mpg (Teys) and 7mpg (White) respectively. In any event, I don't think the "upgrade" is or would be massive between those two classes anyway. BTW, Lebron would make a massive upgrade to the Warriors lineup on Jordan Poole.

If you did a correct comparison in terms of depth chart, Hampton would technically be in substitution for a guy like Ramon Moore or Griffin - and frankly, I don't see him being any better or an upgrade in any way on those guys.

Reply #777556 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

The Taylor signing makes a lot more sense if Joey was expecting Hampton to suit up for the Sixers.

Probably worked out better for the Sixers that they didn't overpay for Hampton though and were able to sign Randle.

Reply #777596 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

It fits with signing Randle 1 day before playing the Jazz. Reckon Joey is probably telling it pretty straight here.

Reply #777698 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

"Ferguson was by far their worst +/- player and was hurting the team."

True, but as an import Ferguson was almost like Michael Jordan when compared to Scott Christopherson who is the single worst NBL player I have seen in 35 years watching this league. And I don't just mean worst import.....I mean he was THE worst ever player.

And being coached by arguably the NBL's worst ever head coach didn't help.

Reply #777752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And being coached by arguably the NBL's worst ever head coach didn't help."

NBL worst coach ? not even close for this century, much less worst ever....

Shane Heal
Andrew Gaze

Etc..
Etc,,,

Reply #777908 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

MC was far worse than Heal or Gaze.

Reply #778164 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:53 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754