ExxE
Years ago

Any Updates in Future Expansion?

Any updates on any future expansions? I haven't heard anything about tasmania for awhile.

Topic #46465 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has been a week or more since last Tasmanian thread.

Reply #778331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo

Reply #778338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol Bendigo

Reply #778343 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I've heard Norfolk Island have approached LK.

The Norfolk Island Naked Mole-Rats.

Reply #778344 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

The Port Morseby have hit up the NBL and offered land with a resort and pool!

Reply #778345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Tassie deal is reportedly going do be done before Christmas. One way or the other.

Reply #778347 | Report this post

Nostradamus  
Years ago

I seriously reckon the GWS Giants will get an NBL licence one way or the other and play at least some of their games out of Canberra in the next 2-3 years.

Reply #778349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never the Gold Coast again please.

Reply #778350 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

GWS not a bad idea, if you split Sydney's roster into two NBL teams you'd have two top 4 teams

Reply #778356 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Good chance you might hear a bit about Stapac Jakarta in the near future

Reply #778359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it would be great to have a second adelaide team, play out of titanium arena, not have joey wright coach and maybe recruit some south australians

Reply #778361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be willing to jump ship to a second ADELAIDE team, if they played out of the powerhouse. That nostalgia will never die.

Reply #778363 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Adelaide just barely supports 1 team

Reply #778364 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Adelaide supports 1 team reasonably well*

Adelaide could not support a second team.

Reply #778365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the entertainment centre has been empty most weeks and the seats that are filled are mostly freebee give aways

Reply #778367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BENDIGO is ready

Reply #778370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie, Wellington, Canberra.

Reply #778372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd hope a fat no to Tassie, Canberra and definitely not Bendigo. Wellington should be next for mine.

Reply #778374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no one as ready as Tassie.

Reply #778380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The longer Tasmanian decision takes the less likely you would think.

Reply #778384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mt. Gambier are ready 2 go.

Reply #778385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With a new $40mil stadium to boot.

Reply #778388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz population is around 5 million. Possibly support 2 teams.

South Australia is around 1.6 million probably stick with 1 team for now with a plan to expand in the future.

Brisbane around 2.3 million same plan as Adelaide.

Population of Perth 1.9 million (wa) around 2.6 million.

Melbourne 4.9 million (vic total pop 6.3)
Possibly build towards a 3rd team in the future.

Sydney 5.3 million (nsw) 7.5 million. Possibly new team in the future.

The Estimated Resident Population for the Illawarra is 436,117, Wollongong 203,487 and the Shoalhaven 96,967.

Cairns around 150 000 (north qld) 231 000
(Far north qld) around 280 000

Tasmania around 515 000

Japan around 126 million at least 2 teams

Jakarta 9 million 1 team

Phillippines 105 million

Malaysia 32 million

Expect Asian teams in the future of the NBL.

Reply #778389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo population 110 000
Nbl1

Mt Gambier around 25 000

Reply #778390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MtGambier in the NBL? Tell'em you're dreaming.

Reply #778391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canberra population around 450 000

Reply #778392 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

"Expect Asian teams in the future of the NBL."

Honestly, that would be the end of financial woes in the NBL. I believe they will pay huge sums to get Asain competitors in non-Asain markets then they punt the shit out of it. The TV rights will then be worth anything! (I am aware that the Slingers failed. Strange choice that, then, but it was what we had).

Reply #778395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(The TV rights will then be worth anything!)

Are the tv rights worth anything now?

Reply #778397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Honestly, that would be the end of financial woes in the NBL. I believe they will pay huge sums to get Asain competitors in non-Asain markets then they punt the shit out of it.)

This is what LK is looking at and he's mentioned it in a few interviews now.
You do know where part of Asia right?
If the NBL has a cap system in place it would be fine.

The slingers started of as the Canberra cannons then the hunter pirates, becoming the slingers in 06-07. Looks like bad management.

Reply #778398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Slingers started off as the Slingers. They left the NBL when the Singapore Government withdrew their travelling subsidy.

Reply #778403 | Report this post

SA Basketball  
Years ago

#361, wash your mouth out. An Adelaide team with SA players on the roster..preposterous!

A team that provides a pathway for local juniors..outrageous.

Joey would never have it!

Reply #778408 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

The bigger issue with the Asian teams is getting local players who are at the level.

The talent in the Asian countries simply isn't there and parachuting a group of Aussies/Yanks into the teams doesn't help engage the fan base when no Asians get on the floor.

Keep in mind the Asian countries mention like Japan/China etc make One Nation supporters look like progressives so hence they need locals to be the main stay of each team.

Reply #778411 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

ASEAN Basketball League just expanded with another two teams taking their total to 10 across eight countries. NBL missed the boat with this one, the Asia option is done.

Reply #778416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broome

Reply #778419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard from someone today who should know, and where he got this info from I don't know was "the deal is a go". (Tassie)
Time will tell.

Reply #778426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(The Slingers started off as the Slingers. They left the NBL when the Singapore Government withdrew their travelling subsidy.)

The club managed to play all its remaining games of the 2002-03 NBL season, but were unable to hold on to their star players, including C. J. Bruton, the son of then-coach Cal Bruton and all of their imports. Canberra finished with an 11–19 record and the team was bought by a consortium that moved the team to Newcastle.
After relocating to Newcastle, the new owners renamed the franchise the Hunter Pirates, keeping with the Cannons' maritime battlers theme.

In the end, the Pirates' licence was sold to a Singapore consortium, who renamed the club as the Singapore Slingers and began competing in the 2006–07 season .
Although the Slingers had relocated to Singapore before the start of the 2006–07 NBL season, they still played occasional home games in Newcastle.

Reply #778453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So yeah they where Canberra and the Newcastle finally the slingers.

Reply #778454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo.

- Bendigo Stadium has a 10 court precinct with a brand new show court that seats 4000 without added seating
- Bendigo stadium is the largest provider of grassroots basketball in the state
- the city already hosts the popular and successful WNBL team spirit and the SEABL team the braves. Both teams have had great successes and support.
- Basketball in Bendigo has seen rises every year at a grass roots level
- Bendigo is a growth corridor with over 115,000 population it is the biggest inland city in Australia

I think Bendigo as a regional representative of Shepparton, Maryborough, Kyneton, Echuca, Castlemaine etc. could make it even more attractive.

Reply #778464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo got nice club house, restaurant and bar as well. I've always enjoyed my time when I’ve been there for basketball.

Reply #778466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nowra

Reply #778475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Bendigo got nice club house, restaurant and bar as well. I've always enjoyed my time when I've been there for basketball.)

Well you will like the nbl1 then.

Reply #778495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Years down the track...
Geelong will be the third vic nbl team.
Newcastle or western Sydney will be the third nsw team.
Gold Coast the third qld team
A third nz team will be viable in 10 years.

Canberra will come in likely team 11 or 12 with a 6000 seat stadium already available.
Wellington will come in when nz breakers become Auckland. Team 11 or 12.
Hobart/tas will be in year 21 or 22 I reckon. Team 10.

16 team league within next 10-20 years

Reply #778498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Bendigo is a growth corridor with over 115,000 population it is the biggest inland city in Australia)

That doesn't sound right. Do you know the town of Canberra?
And Toowoomba also has a larger population at 135 000

Reply #778503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(ASEAN Basketball League just expanded with another two teams taking their total to 10 across eight countries. NBL missed the boat with this one, the Asia option is done.)

Maybe but would you bet your house on that?
This is what LK is working with fiba, the NBL isn't looking for 10 new team, it was a maximum of 4 Asian teams to tap into bigger markets in the region.

Reply #778504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always enjoyed the seabl, not that impressed with nbl1 last season, standard had dropped.

Reply #778505 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

ASEAN leagues wouldn't want good Aussie teams playing because they’d dominate (except when playing under Chinese refs).

Reply #778506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Asian teams already hate the fact that the Oceania teams are now part of FIBA Asia and have dominated. I'd highly doubt that the Asean League would want the same thing to occur at club level.

Reply #778507 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Asaians won't watch Aussies kicking there arse and won't support a team on non locals so the ASEAN league/teams are really a non starter.

Reply #778509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Tell that to LK, he's the one who came up with this idea.

Reply #778520 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"Nowra"

Surely a joke. The stadium's at Bomaderry, the Shoalhaven population is about 1000 000 now. 1 hr south of Wollongong, which struggles supporting a team.

What happened when they fielded a team in the state league way back when. Import with legal/financial issues, almost bankrupted the association???

Reply #778521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK doesn't want the NBL to join the Asian league, he wants 2 to 4 Asian teams to join the NBL. Haven’t you guys read these LK interviews?

Reply #778522 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It will be hard with the ASEAN League gaining a lot of traction but I would never write off LK.

Reply #778542 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Who knows, 3 or 4 top performers (in Asain league) may actually want to play in a tougher/better league not too far from home.

Or, would the NBL allow a full, or nearly full national roster for say 3 or 4 Asain teams? Would not want to be known as national team ("saving face" losing to "club" teams) so, like the NZ Breakers, let these national teams have "club" names.

For FIBA events, we send NBL players as Boomers to get us through qualifying rounds. As our NBL Boomer's reps are spread across the NBL, the Asain "national" teams would have awesome experience and their standard would have to be better than actual club teams (from Asia) and more than like very competitive. Should improve their qualifying results. We (& BA) may not like that too much! Helping direct competitors.

Our tactical advantage is that for the whole season, we get to scout each of them as a team whereas they would have to scout our individuals and try to paste them together. There's your pound of flesh!

Reply #778557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Asean area is classified (afaik) as locals, Aussies. So no biggie.

Reply #778566 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Asia. Asian. Not Asai, or Asaian, or Asain, or Asean.

ASEAN is the name of an intergovernmental organisation which does not include Australia. Asai is a type of moonsault. The others are just invalid.

This thread is painful.

Reply #778569 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Doubtful that Asian teams will join the league and not sure you'd want that anyway. Let's face it, we'd smash them. And then after a while the politics of the league would start swinging in their favour and it will become less of the Australian league and more Asian-centric. If we did do it we'd have to try to maintain the balance here or it could just turn weird. Then you have home cooking referees and brawls to consider.

Reply #778574 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASEAN_Basketball_League

Reply #778578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh no Kobethinksherulez is wrong!
So many posts so much shit.

Reply #778588 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, it's a league consisting of the ASEAN countries. Doesn't mean using "Asean" to refer to the continent of Asia is correct.

Reply #778590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully tassie, then Canberra, then either welly or the good coast or Townsville.

Reply #778592 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

kr is correct. I posted the link to back him up and for the n00bs to brush up on their nomenclature. LOL at thinking otherwise. It's "ASEAN League" or "ASEAN Basketball League" for the basketball competition name and Asia/Asian to reference geography not all of those other WTF terms used above.

Reply #778606 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

ASEAN= Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

It's a trans national body of countries in a geographic region. a bit like the EU for European nations.

I don’t doubt that ASEAN is also the name of a basketball comp. Might even be that the basketball comp’s teams are from each of the countries in the other ASEAN.

Reply #778609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Doesn't mean using "Asean" to refer to the continent of Asia is correct"
I don't think anyone has said that.

Reply #778618 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

They won't allow aussie teams in the ASEAN league and the Asian team have no interest in joining the NBL.

6'4 centres and pretty poor standard of play make the gap to big to be realistic at the moment.

Reply #778621 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Doesn't mean using "Asean" to refer to the continent of Asia is correct"
I don't think anyone has said that.

The Asean area is classified (afaik) as locals, Aussies. So no biggie.

Reply #778622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz is right this thread is painful.

Reply #778633 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:49 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754