Curtley
Years ago

Dante Exum to be traded to cleveland

Cavs sending jordan clarkson and getting dante and draft picks in return.

Topic #46600 | Report this topic

joshuapending  
Years ago

Bad situation for him with them already having 2 younger points or shooting guards plus delly. Shame he just never got clear air to see if he could get consistent play together.

Reply #782320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cleveland is a great landing spot for Exum, as he joins a rebuilding team that will surely give him a larger opportunity than the one he had in Utah. Dante has had brutal luck with injuries, but there's still hope for him because of his size, defensive ability and playmaking (6 dimes per 36 minutes for his career). We could see Exum becoming the first guard off the bench if they want to keep Darius Garland and Collin Sexton together.

Reply #782322 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Cavs have more moves coming prior to the deadline so I would see how things end up around the All Star break.

I think a number of decent teams could actually want him as a defensive bench guard. Definitely a chance he moves again when Love is moved.

Reply #782323 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Disregard that I just realised he will be there less than 60 days so probably cant be traded on before the deadline.

Reply #782324 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Exum has another year left on his deal though, so it's possible he'll be traded again before it expires.

"Bad situation for him with them already having 2 younger points or shooting guards plus delly."

Worse than him getting 5 DNPs in a row, despite Conley being injured?

Reply #782325 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I would love to see him get to the Hawks

Reply #782333 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

That is true, would like maybe detroit or somewhere where he has a little less competition or could carve a role out. Just think there is a bit of traffic at the cavs. I guess it really means nothing as if you impress the coaching staff they will find a way to play you.

Reply #782334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wish him the best, it's good for Australian basketball but in all honesty I’m not that surprised, hopefully a new lease can get him to the level that he requires to make it. The great thing is at least he made a lot money.

Reply #782336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's always injured. He’s lucky he made the money he did when he did. Cross roads right now, with either fade out completely or live up to some sort of hype he once had. Always looks like an out of control deer.

Reply #782338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe some game time before Olympics, hopefully he stays healthy or he won't be making the WC team.

Reply #782339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olympic team'

Reply #782340 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I mean I know he's had injuries but taking that away, it always makes you wonder what he could be/have been if he went to College.

Reply #782343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No money in college and I doubt he would have got drafted, his father and agents got it 100% right. Play a couple exhibition games, show athleticism, make some shots and get a resume, keep your head down and let it happen. I think most people who watched him play as a junior probably were surprised how high he went.

Reply #782347 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I agree entirely with the last post. The drafting process is a bit of a dance you've got to try and get right and going to college would've exposed Exum's flaws at least to some degree and who knows after four years he might never have been drafted after that.

Look at Luke Schenscher after his third year of college his stock was sky high he had just lead his team to the NCAA Championship game and played really well if he came out then he was projected to be a first round pick.

He went back for his final year had a bit of a down year some flaws in his game were exposed, his team didn't go as far he was no longer flavour of the month and then didn't even get drafted. The only way he got into the NBA was by fighting tooth and nail through the D-League and even then he only got scraps a few 10 day contracts before deciding to come back home.

Say what you will about Exum whether he was ever really NBA material but one thing you can't fault is how well his people did the draft dance they played it perfectly kept him hidden, kept him mysterious, didn't allow flaws to be exposed and NBA teams couldn't help but become enamoured. He's got his people to thank really for all the millions he's made in the NBA and only now years later have the Jazz finally given up on him. It won't be long now until he bounces out of the NBA but so what he and his family are now set for generations.

Good luck to him, well played.

Reply #782352 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Genuine question: where do people see Exum in a full strength Boomers Olympic team? Keeping in mind more than talent but also how he'd fit, be used, skill set etc

If our golden oldies like Mills Delly Baynes Bogut Ingles retain a semblance of a step from the World Cup, I think Exum would be lucky to get minutes to be honest. Simmons would be included as PG, I would suggest Broekhoff for his three point shooting would be in there, potentially Xavier Cook and Goulding as well for the three point shooting. Kay and Landale round out the bigs with perhaps Motum.

I think Exum is a total fringe player and Bolden perhaps misses out.

That’s 10-12 players who I’d take over Exum, Bolden, Thon Maker. In the Olympics you aren’t using a squad beyond 12.

Reply #782356 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

KET - I'm with you. On current form, Exum would be extremely fortunate to make the Olympic team at all, let alone play a meaningful role.

A lot of people get stuck on the "but he's in the NBA he needs to be on the team" narrative.

Reply #782357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker is playing very reduced minutes with poor stats and Bolden is either in G league or not playing. Still time for both and even Exum but no form from either at present.

Reply #782360 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Hopefully he gets a better chance to prove his skills and can stay healthy for the rest of the season.

Just to clarify, he can be traded again before the trade deadline, but not with other players.
So Cleveland can only include Exum and picks in a trade.

Reply #782362 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

$35mil? Not bad.

Reply #782363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons / Dellavedova
Mills / Goulding / Cotton
Ingles / Broekhoff
Landale / 2 of Bolden, Maker, Kay, Cooks, Creek
Baynes / Bogut

Exum doesnt make it.
Sobey, Gliddon and Barlow drop out.

Reply #782364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale been going ok in Lithuania and euro league but not as good as it projected. Motum not getting any time os very little at club or euro league.

Reply #782368 | Report this post

Go Dees  
Years ago

Stretch provision/amnesty/buy out on the way could be a top 10 bust of the last decade!

At least he got paid and Gloab bring that cash back home to help stimulate the local economy!

Reply #782394 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

People writing crap about exum are being extremely rash.

It's nothing to do with him not being good enough, the blokes career has been destroyed by injuries.

Sometimes that’s just the way it goes for some people. He’s still very young I’m basketball terms so hopefully he can get some continuity at some stage.

Reply #782413 | Report this post

Go Dees  
Years ago

He needs to start playing or he won't make the next boomers team.

It’s all good to be earning an NbA cheque but if your not playing it’s a hard sell to put him above other guys.

Reply #782424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phill
You are entitled to be believe it's crap but I’d say Zodiac and that anon have summarised it very nicely, yes has had injuries but lots of players do. Bogut was number one Exum was five, not a lot difference, Bogut put himself out in front of everyone at college, Exum kept a very low profile. The next year or so will give us the answer but so far Exum management got it 100% right.

Reply #782426 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Forgot about Creek, he's playing like a Boomer too.

But for Exums sake and Boomer’s depth sake it would be great if he got some decent minutes, find his groove and be a good 3 and D guy with some good slashing ability.

Reply #782428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's an okay D, but his 3 is severely lacking. Plus he is so passive - just spots up in the corner.

Reply #782445 | Report this post

If he fails in Cleveland I see NBL in his future.

Reply #782464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least Jazz got Jingles out of it only signed so Dante wouldn't be homesick.

Reply #782512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll be in the Nbl in 2 seasons

Reply #782571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously curious, how long can you use the tag potential before they're officially washed up?

Reply #782574 | Report this post

Potential has a shelf Life.

Reply #782586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When he isn't injured and getting minutes on a mediocre team and still struggling, so we’ll know pretty soon if there is any potential left. Maybe his handlers should put him in witness protection to protect his value?

Reply #782595 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

His value and potential was in Utah keeping him, other teams could always convince themselves the Jazz must be seeing something in him that other teams don't.

Reply #782598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just needs to come back to NBL and get dunked on by a Gaze and the universe will be corrected.

Reply #782634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably why he was in witness protection prior to the draft. Because Cecil was dunked on by the grey GOAT.

Reply #782643 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Too bad Gaze never fathered a son to dunk over Dante.

Reply #782721 | Report this post

He did my dumb brother but he is much younger than Dante.

Reply #782735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still time for the prophecy pass, I have foreseen it.

Reply #782791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

9pts, 2 stls in his 15min debut with the Cavs. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

Reply #782810 | Report this post

Bullet  
Years ago

Playing decent for the cavs first 2 games.

Reply #783160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dante doing alright. Soon we can expect some optimistic "BEAST MODE" alert threads when he hits double digits.

Reply #783274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cavs v hawks live on sbs now. Exum played back end first, very good defensively, playing team first. Certainly Olympics material. Got great length.

Reply #792561 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:31 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754