Anonymous
Years ago

Illawarra Hawks 2020-21 (too early?)

Ok all, after being blessed with an early Christmas present with the news of Billy Preston departing, allowing more time for our young locals to play, coupled with only the faintest of glimmers of the hope of a mathematical fairytale run to the playoffs I'm starting to look to 20-21.

First up, I'm cool with the only two import philosophy to ensure Aussie talent gets their opportunity, but the big but is, we need at least one stud import shooter/scorer/defender.

So here's my V1 of what I'd like our roster to look like-

PG Naar Dech
SG GUN IMPORT Glover
SF Blanchfield Grida (9)
PF *TBA* Coenraad (11)
C AJ Froling Ando (10)

So my thinking, personally I think Glover could/should start at the 3, but Toddy gets first dibs.

What's not an outstanding defender, but having Tech & Glover in the ranks Will help combat that.

As Cairns have shown, you don't have to go 11-12 deep, so I'd be happy with solid gets filling those spots.

If Grida goes, he goes, as he didn't really grab his opportunity this year. Saying that, who'll chase him & would he squeeze his way in to any other team's rotation on current form?

*TBA* wise, I wonder if this 'could' be Froling? If he was up to this standard by season's start then maybe young Harris earns a full time roster spot? Otherwise the 4 man needs to be that Tate/Griffin/Cooks/Moller type that has high energy, plays D & rebounds.

So summing up, back the young locals we have plus a couple of the vets & spend large on getting the right import. Every other club can find one, so so can we : )

Topic #46602 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

New coach dedicated to developing these guys and knows how to game day coach

Reply #782392 | Report this post

krayola  
Years ago

Is Naar going to be there though? Thought he was said to be looking to move elsewhere.

Reply #782398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty certain Flinny is locked in for next year.

Reply #782399 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Naar signed a 3 year deal in 2018.

Reply #782400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Naar'll stay as no other team bar Brisbane entertain the thought of an Aussie being their starting pg*

*Perth is the exception of course with Cotton at the 2.

Reply #782401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New owner. NBL wants Stratford gone.

Reply #782405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Griffin can't defend a light pole, the other three are contacted to kings though Tate probably finishes this season.

Reply #782407 | Report this post

Cashy  
Years ago

No Lamelo?

Reply #782409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You want to start Naar, Blanchfield and AJ..... have you seen the hawks play this year????

Reply #782410 | Report this post

Years ago

Anonymous, you have mentioned new owner before but never had any more info. what do you know?

Reply #782412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import / Naar / Dent(DP)
Import / Dech / Glover
Adel / Blanchfield / Grida
Import / Froling / Harris(DP)
Ogilvy / Mathiang

Bring in Adel to start at sf, mathiang to compete with Ogilvy, froling play 4 and 5.
Spend alot on elite pg and mobile, stretch pf, mid level knock down sg Import Splitting minutes with Dech.
Glover and grida are not backups just yet but will get some time.

12 players on payroll, 2 DPs, maybe another pf dp would be good also,

Reply #782415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack white would be a good pf pickup and a cheaper price and not effect import spot.

Reply #782416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"First up, I'm cool with the only two import philosophy to ensure Aussie talent gets their opportunity"

You need to stop sipping the Koolaid

"We want to be known as the team that develops young players" is just goober speak for "we have no money and don't know what we're doing"

Naar and Grida have gone backwards. Their only young star is Dech, and he was developed by Perf.

The first thing they need is more money
Then somebody that knows how to run a team
Then a decent coach
They really should pursue another Next Star.
Depending on the calibre and role of the NS, they still need an import gun in the backcourt. I'd play Dech in rotation off the bench.
Their 2nd Import must be a Forward. Probably best to target a PF.

Be interesting to see what they do, because they really need a cleanout

Reply #782418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone was a bum signing. I said from the day he was signed. He's bust

Reply #782419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import/Naar
Dech/Glover
Blanchfield/Grida
Import/Froling
Import/AJ

Imports need to be solid. PG needs to be minimum Jerome Randle of Roberson. 4 man Tate level. 5 man needs to be Oliver type. May sound easier than it is but those are the players front office should chase. Shouldn't spend much on the other players. Cairns have cracked the code on this system. Most of the locals should stay but on super low salaries. Imports needs to be where cash is spent.

Reply #782420 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Anonymous, you have mentioned new owner before but never had any more info. what do you know?

I second this - please tell us more.

Reply #782422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imports need to be solid. Never heard so must shot. Why aren't they solid now?
Boone is crap Ball is playing the game. Most of the Hawks team are broke.

Reply #782423 | Report this post

Years ago

We are gone unless we receive massive dollars to at least compete.

Reply #782425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They might be getting Kay back if the rumours are right that he wants to get back to the east coast. That would throw a CAT amongst the pigeons.

Reply #782427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Never heard so much shot"

Did you have a stroke while writing that? What can't you comprehend? Imports need to be solid NEXT SEASON!!! This is a next season thread!!! No one is arguing with you on Boone!

However this team is run by the league!!! I would like a I see Coach Flynn given at least 1 opportunity to pick HIS own team and coach the player HE wants to coach! You couldn't tell by the way he was playing 12 players in the first qtr of early games this season? Playing his guys AND the league's guys.

Reply #782430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knowing we're only going to spend up to the cap minimum, I think it's more likely we'll go for two high quality imports. Hopefully a little younger & less likely to break : )

Reply #782431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

& yep, the NBL ain't fans of the current owner after a few disagreements including not paying bills on time & refusing to shell out dollars for replacement imports.

NBL has other owners in their sights if needs be.

Reply #782432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They might be getting Kay back if the rumours are right that he wants to get back to the east coast. That would throw a CAT amongst the pigeons. "

Too Much Port in the Christmas Trifle?
You have more chance of getting Shaun Livingston than Nick Kay

Reply #782446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay got import money to go to Perth, if east coast side come to the table he's back over here if the rumours are true.

Reply #782448 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why, in an era of Andrew Bogut and Dario Hunt, is the phrase "import money" still a thing?

Reply #782449 | Report this post

The NBL should go back to two imports per team.
Many of the third imports are duds anyway.

Reply #782450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

some of the 4th imports have been pretty good. so maybe we should go to 5. then it really doesn't matter if the 3rd ones are hopeless.

Reply #782451 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Spenceley, Stratford and now word of yet another new owner. I'm impressed LK is able to find these fresh characters.

Reply #782457 | Report this post

Tell us more little brother.

Reply #782458 | Report this post

Years ago

Love some info on new owners as surely we can't stay with the current owner who can't financially compete?

Reply #782483 | Report this post

Lol at people still including Andersen.

Reply #782509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know
Here is a list of maybe returning big

Brock motum bullets
Mangok mathiang sem
Duop reath wildcats
Isaac Futo breakers
Jack salt breakers
Keanu Pinder wildcats

I would love Pledger and Kay to replace Boone and Anderssen

Reply #782510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pledger hasn't shown anything for two seasons and is slower than Boone and just as injured. Kay is a chance if they get the money.

Reply #782511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay just bought a house in Perth with his partner. Not sure why he would want to leave all of a sudden?

Reply #782515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We know Kay is all about the $$$. Just waiting for one of the rich clubs to steal him away from poor Perth.

Reply #782527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson got houses everywhere, Kay just investing his big dollar contract.

Reply #782530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good time to invest in Perth property. Other capitals already on the rebound but Perth still low. Dazz can confirm.

Reply #782541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just laugh at saying just spend the minimum cap. So thats about 3 to 4 players you do realise that?
All these fantasy teams are simply a waste of time cos you won't have the money!

Reply #782546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They just do everything for love in Perth.

Reply #782558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who gets the 500.000 when Ball gets drafted if the Hawks they should try and go after Machado and Oliver as replacements for Anderssen and Ball

Reply #782575 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

An Anon wrote:
"Here is a list of maybe returning big

Brock motum bullets
Mangok mathiang sem
Duop reath wildcats
Isaac Futo breakers
Jack salt breakers
Keanu Pinder wildcats

How much better/stronger would the NBL be with all of these guys in it?

With all the aggressive and progressive changes LK has made to the league, I find it a little surprising that no strong moves (seem) to have been made to attract these players back home. I mean, as a priority.

Would a Brock Motum, for example, be as valuable in the NBL as a stud import (or 2, as in Brissie's case?)? I think, yes!

This (and last) year, we have recruited some stud imports but a few duds too. We take chances with these guys that often pay off and sometimes don't.

If real efforts were made to get these (Aust) guys home, before imports, how much easier would choosing imports be?

Glaring, recent example. Ryan Broekoff. Obviously good enough to (finally) make the NBA. I know that the NBA has a bit more money than our NBL. But read on. IF he had been offered an import-sized contract while still in Europe, he may have come home, and still been here. OR, better still, would have been recruited to the NBA from the NBL, not Europe. Win/win for us and for Ryan (as he would have earned import money in Aus which I imagine is at least equal to what he would earned in Europe?).

One more. Angus Brandt. Think of the import centres Brandt could easily have replaced here. Perth's-own Hunt, Benson, Boone, others?

And then! All these players would be far more available for Boomers action, too.

Maybe, we still have a long held belief that imports HAVE to be
better-than/worth-more than ANY Aussies. Definitely not so now.

Reply #782594 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:24 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754