robt
Years ago

Boomers' Coach for Up-coming Qualifiers.

With Brett Brown's un-availability for the 2020 and 2021 Qualifiers, would it have been more sensible to leave Lemanis in a care taker role til the Olympics?

I understand that pre-Olympics preparation will be important but it seems that as the Boomers under Brett will be entirely different to the Boomers in the Quals. Continuity has little relevance in this case.

So Lemanis does, once more, what he has always done for the Boomers. Get us well and truely through all the pre and qualifying international tournaments. Then Brown steps in with his band of NBA players and does exactly what he is going to do anyway. No criticism in that last, it's just the way it is.

Lemanis apparently recognised that Brown's affinity with the Boomers in Tokyo was the way for Aust to get better, this time.

Conversely, Lemanis has the same advantage over Brown for the players likely to be chosen for these quals. And it's not like Brown is preparing anything for the future. It's the Olympics and out. If Brett was even thinking long-term, I'm all for it.

What advantage do we/anyone gain by allowing/asking Brett to appoint such a position to someone else?

Topic #46611 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Phil Jackson to be official Boomers zen master coach

Reply #782610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is the boomers coach for the qualifiers? Weaver would be a good choice to go with and after Olympics.

Reply #782619 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I do agree. Being BB's choice, and as he openly admits that he wants someone who can, "speak the same (basketball) language", short of sending someone over from the US, Weaver makes sense.

Reply #782646 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I meant to write , If not Lemanis (for sam reasons as above), then Weaver's a good & sensible choice.

Reply #782647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely it would be the extremely calm Will Weaver

Reply #782653 | Report this post

Who will make NBL (boomers) squad?
My not so shortlist:
D Johnson, Drmic
Magnay, Sobey, Cadee ( he makes these teams)
Noi, Jawai, Deng, Djeric ( lights out shooter)
Blanchfield ( see Cadee), Dech,Naar
Goulding McCarron and Lual-Acil.
Kay, Steindl
Creek, Pineau
Bogut, Cooks, Bruce.

Reply #782744 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Weeks Kenny Milner smith if cadee is in the mix.

Reply #782749 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

The NBL Boomers are good enough to qualify, but would their level be lifted with the addition of 2-3 NBA/ Euro players, eg Maker, Delly, Motum etc. Players who might be released due to not being too integral to their teams, but could they lift the standard and intensity of Boomers.

Reply #782773 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Will Weaver is the obvious coaching choice. He has his ear to the street in the NBL, he's one of Brett Brown's guys. I'd be astonished if it wasn't him. Highly doubt it would be Lemanis. He's done with the job.

"The NBL Boomers are good enough to qualify, but would their level be lifted with the addition of 2-3 NBA/ Euro players, eg Maker, Delly, Motum etc. Players who might be released due to not being too integral to their teams, but could they lift the standard and intensity of Boomers."

They wont be released for qualifiers and tournaments like this. Have to remember this is just the qualifiers for the Asia Cup which means nothing to anyone really. Don't get me wrong, it's cool to win it, but it's kind of a fate accompli that we win it as long as we don't completely shit the bed.

-

As for the squad, I think a good mix of youth of experience is needed. Everyone wants to blood kids at the Olympics (god knows why) but these are the games where you can look to the future a bit without it really hurting you.

Maybe you pull William McDowell-White in? Maybe Josh Green? Kouat Noi? Will Magnay?

You can experiment with this line up, and if you have at least 5 or 6 guys with some solid experience, you should really win these games.

Reply #782792 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Whoever it is, they need to exude calmness to the max.

Can anyone think of someone that fits the bill?

Reply #782795 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Why is Weaver the obvious choice??

I would have thought the obvious thing is that we're going to have two completely different teams? An NBL team to qualify, and an NBA team led by Brown to actually play.

Ergo there is no need for the qualifying team to follow Brown's gameplan, nor could it. Hence no need for the coach to be "Brown's man".

If indeed Brown still likes and wants Weaver, he would probably rather tap him for an assistant role in the main event. (Although he may prefer 100% current NBA types)

It will come down to BA politics and what was agreed with Brown to get him onboard. Undoubtedly they conceded him free-reign to pick the Tokyo squad and his assistants, but maybe they kept a bit of consolation juice for the qualifiers?

In many ways it would actually make sense to pick the qualifier coaches from amongst the best in the NBL.

Reply #782798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't one of the assistant coaches in the last WC a Simmons selection, he’d have to be in the running.

Reply #782802 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"
I would have thought the obvious thing is that we're going to have two completely different teams? An NBL team to qualify, and an NBA team led by Brown to actually play.

Ergo there is no need for the qualifying team to follow Brown's gameplan, nor could it. Hence no need for the coach to be "Brown's man"."

Brett Brown has already said that he will be delegating a coach for the qualifiers. And even if that weren't the face, having some continuity between the Boomers teams simply makes sense. Injuries are a thing, and if these qualifying and Asia Cup games have any purpose whatsoever, that purpose should be blooding potential players for the real international competitions. Let's say, for instance, Nick Kay makes the Asia Cup team (which we can assume he would), and then Bolden or Maker throw a hissy fit, and the spot is open on the Olympic squad for him. Why wouldn't you want him playing in a system that is going to be similar to that at the Olympics? That goes for any player who might crossover between the teams, the Mitch Creeks and Chris Gouldings of the world.

The qualifiers coach will be Brett Brown's guy and a guy who is in the NBL. Something incredible would have to take place for it not to be Will Weaver.

Reply #782809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not certain using Kay, Bolden and Makur was a good example. Kay would have to be in the conversation now, Bolden not playing in the nba, g league is not good and is he playing there and Makur getting FA minutes on doing nothing in those minutes. Surely we are picking players on performance and not name no matter what competition you are playing in.

Reply #782813 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"Something incredible would have to take place for it not to be Will Weaver.“

NBL: See Incredible

Reply #782821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what a load of wank
sorry "Me" but your constant licking of Lemon's Ass has deprived you of any credibility on this topic.

"Brown has already said that he will be delegating"
OMG, no shit Einstein. The question is who. You don't know what has been agreed, and you also don't know what his strategy is. He hasn't got to where he is without being savvy and political.

"Brett Brown's guy and a guy who is in the NBL"
As usual, you have contradicted yourself.
Anybody coaching fulltime in the NBL, and that includes Beaver, won't be in any position to deploy Brown's system. If Brown could take the time out to train a whole new team of coaches, he might as well just train the team.
Plus why would he want to? As Dazz said it doesn't make any sense to bother trying to deploy the same gameplan for two completely different teams in completely different tournaments with completely different opponents. What's the coach going to do, tell AJ to play like Baynes, and Damo to start shooting like Mills?

"Let's say, for instance, Nick Kay makes the Asia Cup team (which we can assume he would), and then Bolden or Maker throw a hissy fit, and the spot is open on the Olympic squad for him"
Once again you have contradicted yourself and shown your lack of understanding. Kay and anyone else likely to play in both will be a starter in the qualifiers. On the odd chance they make it to Toyko they will be 3rd string role players. Totally different roles against totally different opponents.

Considering the talent he has been given to work with, Beaver has to date shown less coaching aptitude than Gaze. Like Gaze he is often out-coached, and cannot recover or rally his team when they get a bad start.
In short, there is no reason to make him coach, and a lot of reasons not to.
The only argument is your assertion that Brown is some kind of psychotic control freak who will insist on individually selecting the team's underpants.

Reply #782856 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That is the dumbest take on the national team conversation I have ever seen, and that's saying something.

Reply #782878 | Report this post

Captain Obvious  
Years ago

The good news is that when Brown gets sacked from his Philadelphia job, he will have plenty of time to focus on the Boomers. It should happen sooner rather than later, because the 76ers are going nowhere with him.

Reply #782882 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:08 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754