Isaac
Years ago

LaMelo Ball donating month’s salary to fire relief

Huge gesture.

—-

"It's sad to see what is happening on the South Coast of Australia," Ball said in a statement released by the team. "People have lost their homes and everything they own. My parents taught me to help out wherever I can, so this is my way of helping out."

Topic #46645 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Very classy gesture and will probably ensure he has a strong Aussie fanbase for life.

Reply #784071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done young man

Reply #784073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a good dude. Naturalise him IMO.

Reply #784074 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Hard not to be cynical, but its still a nice and tangible gesture, and will hopefully encourage others and attract even wider exposure to this disaster.

Reply #784075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's massive, particularly from a young man who hasn't been here for that long.

Just for context, there's other nbl players who are donating $50 for every point scored or $100 per dunk.

LaMelo's contribution dwarves those!

Not to say this is a big dick swinging exercise, just highlighting what a substantial contribution it is

Reply #784078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LaMelo that's the S/E coast of Australia mate, oh and you forgot Tassie as well.
Nice gesture, but get the facts right please.

Reply #784080 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Didn't you get what you wanted for Xmas & have the sooks on?
Look at the big picture and what a great donation this is from a visitor to our country.
The tennis fraternity has also jumped on the Nick Kyrious idea for a tennis fundraiser which is fantastic.

BTW- Also massive fire fronts in SA - regional, hills & KI.
All support appreciated so don’t trivialize supportive people & organisations

Reply #784081 | Report this post

Fantastic gesture from Ball.

Reply #784087 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Well done....I was thinking about this and hoping NBL clubs do something to help out but this is a big individual contribution from a young man starting out his career.

Reply #784088 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

So how much is it?

Reply #784098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lamelo is a great man and MVP

Reply #784099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not our business to know the amount #098.
Thanks LaMelo.

Reply #784106 | Report this post

Not MVP but a great play nonetheless.

Reply #784107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's about $16K AUD. ($100K next star salary divided by six months)

Great PR move.

He's about to sign a $100 million USD shoe deal, so this is a good tax write off.

Reply #784109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's about $16K AUD. ($100K next star salary divided by six months)

Great PR move.

He's about to sign a $100 million USD shoe deal, so this is a good tax write off.

Reply #784110 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I thought he was getting considerably more than the base ns payment?

It could be "good PR"it may also "get his name in the news" etc, etc, but it is STILL a very generous move.
And if it gets him positive publicity, maybe some other people are moved to donate.
And maybe, just maybe, some poor souls who have lost everything get a benefit from this, and maybe feel a little uplifted that people actually do care.

Reply #784112 | Report this post

$16000 from one person still a very generous gesture.

Reply #784114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"$16000 from one person still a very generous gesture."

I agree. And you can say what you want about his future potential earnings, but the facts are that he's not getting paid that yet.

When you consider that other players are putting up $50 per point scored, you can see it is a large amount. So if I had a 20 point game, I'd be donating $1,000.

Reply #784116 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I was one who didn't have any time for the kid before he arrived based off what I was fed in the media and what I had seen.
He has conducted himself extremely well since arriving in Australia and this move only further cements the fact that he is a decent person who has an extremely high ceiling on and off the court.
A very classy move.

Reply #784119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"All support appreciated so don't trivialize supportive people & organisations"
Mate are you a Seppo or an Aussie. PLease learn to spell.

I have never EVER heard anyone use the term "South Coast of Australia". Clearly "He's about to sign a $100 million USD shoe deal, so this is a good tax write off." Why don't you comment on that as well?

It is a shame the NBL hasn't done something.

Reply #784120 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Good stuff Ball

Reply #784123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get a life, some people just got hate.

Reply #784144 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Good on him. Fantastic gesture.

Reply #784145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Get a life, some people just got hate." No hate at all. Someone just said it's a tax write off, can you read?

Reply #784149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No hate with that comment.

It's just stating some facts

Reply #784165 | Report this post

#120 just a worthless hater.

Reply #784166 | Report this post

Rico  
Years ago

He is basically the mother teresa of the nbl. Lavar and Tina have raised a fine young man.

Reply #784174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL and Australia are lucky to have him here.

Reply #784198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What an amazing action by an incredible young man. He owe this country nothing, but gives it everything... he earns in a month. Truly a remarkable human being. We are so lucky to have such a young talented basketball player in the NBL, but an even better humanitarian living in our fine country. An exception role model not only for aussie kids, but children around the world.

Reply #784281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He should be a Saint!

Reply #784288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perthworld's big brother" are you that much a sycophant???

Reply #784293 | Report this post

Glen  
Years ago

Great gesture. And it's not just a gesture, the money will help.

Most of NSW call the area 'South Coast'. He probably just added 'of Australia' for the understanding of those overseas.

No need to be so critical.

Good on him.

Reply #784302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the clarification. Never hard the term b4.
Perhaps Sir LaMelo, oh wait we don't do that any more ;(

Reply #784326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if it is hate of Americans or maybe racism but some people have been hating this talented and good hearted young man since the moment it was announced he would come down under.

Brilliant and generous donation by Melo. Impressive person as well as player.
I wonder how many months salary the troll above is donating. I think I know the answer.

Reply #784331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For comparison Cam Gliddon is donating $100.

Reply #784418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont hate because he is American or anything esle. I dislike all the fans here who think "he is such a nice guy". So you know him personally? Someone else said "it's a tax write off" that's acceptable OK because it LaMelo FFS.

He's talented and he has donated 1 months "salary" Wow.

You do know that he's getting about $400k for his season here. So he's actually donated about 1 weeks salary to put in into perspective.

To the idiot that said "I wonder how many months salary the troll above is donating. I think I know the answer." Go fuck youeself mate, you know nothing about me and have no right to make that comment. Go back into to hole and bury your head up your fat couch sitting arse.
BTW I have been and SES volunteer for over 30 years so fuck off. I am entitled to my opinion like everyone else. How much have you put in? SFA I am sure.

Reply #784479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

479 you are an absolutely disgusting human being. Our country is burning yet you feel the need to carry on like this.

Take a good hard look at yourself.

Reply #784481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*gets super triggered that people make comments about him without knowing anything about him*

*proceeds to make comments about people he knows nothing about*

Lmao

Reply #784488 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

So much irony that it might actually be parody, I'm really not sure. Also enjoyed the maths that converted a month into a week.
I give it 4 stars.

Reply #784496 | Report this post

How do we know he has 30 years SES experience.
Could just be saying that.

Reply #784499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet another ill informed comment by Luuc.
LaMelo is reportedly on $400k. So that equals 1 weeks pay knucklehead.
Your rating is #1dickhead man. Accept my word or not. Whatever. No point in arguing with rednecks who can only see what they want to see.

Reply #784529 | Report this post

"reportedly on 400K"
Oh dear.

Reply #784537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I am entitled to my opinion like everyone else."

And we have the right to tell you your opinion is retarded.

Reply #784540 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Amazing how someone's annual salary could quadruple without their monthly payments being affected at all, but there you have it folks, it is possible and it is happening to LaMelo Ball.

Thinking of upgrading my rating to 5 stars due to the level of commitment to the character being displayed here, followed by applying some balm to my burn.

Reply #784543 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"Most of NSW call the area 'South Coast'. He probably just added 'of Australia' for the understanding of those overseas.“

Correct I think.

Did the Hawks train or do pre-season appearances out of Wollongong (eg Moss Vale or Bomaderry ball stadia, in Shoalhaven and Wingecarribee councils)? Both of those 2 are right in the danger zones, maybe he liked the places he saw.

I saw him interviewed and he came across as a pretty genuine young guy. It will also help exposure to raise more donations.

People there need all the help they can get. I have friends in both areas stuck at evac centres or work.

This thread really needs to be a troll free zone.

Reply #784555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"reportedly on 400K"
Oh dear."
Go and do some research knob head, and try and keep up with the truth rather than what you think is the truth.
$100k of La Melos salary is under the NBL. The other $300k he gets paid, is paid by the NBL. Like the other similar players. Prove me wrong. It's common knowledge for most here. Clearly you know at a about the way the NBL is run and with your wanky nick that's a clear indication of your numbness. Luuc the same. NFI.

Reply #784606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#606 you're just not real bright are you?

This is making for funny reading though, although I guess we should all feel bad for laughing at you.

Reply #784673 | Report this post

I laugh at #606.
Childish name calling keep it up champ.

Reply #784674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perthworld's big brother" I bet you have his posters on your wall, and his cards too. Got his autograph as well?

Reply #784676 | Report this post

Lamelo thanks for your support to the bushfire victims

Reply #784717 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Nice work from Ball

Reply #784736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#606 that was a very "curious" post. Thanks Bruce.

Reply #784744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"LaMelo is reportedly on $400k. So that equals 1 weeks pay knucklehead."

Forget what Lamelo is reportedly on because whatever that figure is, he just decided to donate 1/12th of it.

Reply #784746 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Great work Lamelo, Creek, McCarron and all the other sports stars

Leading by example

Reply #784749 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

Cameron Oliver in for $50 / point from the Bullets game. He scored 21.

Reply #784753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Barty will donate AU$360,000 if she wins the tournament, which takes place before the highly-anticipated Australian Open." Make her a Saint too! Such a nice person.

Reply #784818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone got a Daily Telegraph subscription who can summarise today's Melo article?

Reply #785631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's about Melo Trimble. Not Ball.

Reply #785795 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

He was referring to the article entitled "Logue Down: LaMelo Ball's salary revealed" by Matt Logue published on 09/01/2019.

Reply #785810 | Report this post

Cheers.

Reply #785822 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:57 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754