Anonymous
Years ago

Extra NBL import spot for NBL1 imports?

Should there be an nbl1 Import spot available on top of the 3 nbl import spots?
It would help solve a few of the issues we are going to face in the next few years in both tiers of competition.

Topic #46674 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

what issues we are going to face in the next few years in both tiers of competition?

Reply #784894 | Report this post

3 imports is more than enough.

Reply #784895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why don't we make a rule saying you can only have 3 players born in Australia or new Zealand.

Reply #784896 | Report this post

^ Sydney working on it already.

Reply #784899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^have a cry

Reply #784908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth did it for years, but it was ok then. Lol.

Reply #784909 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Already have 3 imports with option for next star. I think that's enough

Reply #784910 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, this was discussed pre-LK regarding guys like Massingale, but now that there's a third import it would just be excessive.

Reply #784912 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's a bit ridiculous if you can manage 5 Americans on a court. Three classic imports is right, and the next stars has been a marketable/reputation success so we can accept 4 but that really is the limit.

Reply #784913 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Go back to strictly 2 imports. Give Aussies and Kiwis an opportunuty to play. Naar has shown how opportunity to play is key to development

Reply #784917 | Report this post

hawky  
Years ago

I would like to see 3 imports total, with the third import slot strictly reserved for a next star or budget import to maximise the opportunities for Australian players.

Reply #784922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"a budget import" How do you enforce that? You can't.

Reply #784925 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Budget imports" and next stars are simply taking the place of locals. Sure, the next stars are an "extra" roster spot, but their minutes come at the expense of Australians and Kiwis.

2 Imports is enough.

Reply #784930 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Issue with taking on locals instead is it reduces the quality of talent in the competition.

Australia is in a lucky position where we have 50-60 really good Australians in the NBL and a few more abroad who could conceivably be brought back to the NBL, this allows the competition to remain predominantly Australian while being one of the best leagues in the NBL talent wise.

Reply #784938 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Disagree. Australia has quality talent who could contribute at NBL standard if given the opportunity, that's shown each year as new players step up to the level. We've added a new team this year without diminishing the standard.

Reply #784939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 imports would be as boring as bat shit.
More NBL teams are needed to give more opportunities to Australians and nz players not less imports.
Maybe the nbl1 imports could be on the NBL training teams and be on standby only if an import gets a injury.
Otherwise who gives a sh:t this season is awesome.

Reply #784942 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If that was the case, teams would go local instead of a third import.

Which Australians are there at the moment that are third import standard and would accept third import pay?

Reply #784943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMO
3 imports(not on salary cap) + 1 nbl1 import or nba draft n stash + 8 Aussie/Kiwis + minimum 3 Aussie/Kiwi DP

12 teams before 2025.

Reply #784944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The next stars will not last, it'll become nba draftee stash players like louzada.
Given how much rotation there is and injuries over a season, I’d be happy with 3 imports plus 1 young draftee and the rest locals, but there has to be more teams not less imports.

Reply #784945 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"2 imports would be as boring as bat shit."

Yeah, we all know those third imports - guys like Benson, Sigler, Ramone Moore, Taylor and Hobson are the guys keeping the league alive

Reply #784947 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Go back to strictly 2 imports. Give Aussies and Kiwis an opportunuty to play. Naar has shown how opportunity to play is key to development"

Is Naar's development really that important? Isn't going to NBA. Isn't going to be a Boomer. I think I'll keep my imports for entertainment value.

"2 imports would be as boring as bat shit.
More NBL teams are needed to give more opportunities to Australians and nz players not less imports."

Yep. Absolutely.

And sorry everyone, if you dropped imports to 2, you'd lose most of the buzz of the league. Look at the top 10 players in the league. 7 will be imports.

Reply #784948 | Report this post

Aussie Kids  
Years ago

Well said Cram and Paul.

There are plenty of talented Aussie kids.

Reply #784954 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Look at the top 10 players in the league. 7 will be imports. "

How many are the team's third import?

Reply #784955 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

People forget that there are guys in the same category as Cooks and Magden, playing in Europe, who will come home for the right opportunity.
At the other end you've got guys like Dech, who robably wouldn't have a spot if not for expansion, Then you have guys like Poziglou and Travers, who could be holding an 11th man slot.

Reply #784965 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"People forget that there are guys in the same category as Cooks and Magden, playing in Europe, who will come home for the right opportunity."

Remember also that those players could be playing here, now, as marquee locals if teams offered them enough money. Every second and subsequent marquee local reduces the number of imports the team can have, though. Given teams are choosing third imports over additional marquee locals, you can take it they're not paying marquee rates for those third imports. So those third imports are just replacing Australian and NZ based locals. Any further imports would just replace more such locals.

Remember also that teams can already have a fourth import, if they're from an Asian/Oceanian country approved by the NBL. That's how Wesley originally entered the league and how Singh got on the Sydney roster a few seasons back. So any increase in import limits would mean six team spots could be filled by overseas players.

The NBL risks becoming simply a poor man's NBA if the local content is further diluted.

The poster who said 2 imports would be "boring as batshit" must not have been around in the 90s.

Reply #784969 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

So what do most teams spend on their imports total?

Between 500k for all 3 if you're someone like the Hawks OR in excess of 2 million of you're someone like Melbourne.

I'd love to see us drop back to 2 imports to open up one more spot on each roster for a local & if teams then spent 2 mil on 2 imports instead of stretching it across 3 spots, wouldn't we get EVEN better imports AND more opportunity for key locals in each team? Maybe also freeing up more dollars to chase other quality Aussies balling in Europe, G League & other places?

Reply #784976 | Report this post

Go Dees  
Years ago

Why bother with Aussies at all they can play NBL1

Reply #784980 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

There's a few factors at play here: 1) Standard of talent; 2) Standard of depth; 3) Salary expenditure; 4) Local contingent for that Australian connection to its own league

The third import provides the cheapest way to get a talented player, particularly for guards/forwards. This is clear. If this was not the case, teams would use a local aussie instead of an import.

If you take that away, either you're decreasing overall depth - which is something valuable about the NBL opposed to places like China - or you still have to spend more money to get the Aussie euro players. Increasing expenditure (unsustainably) isn't something we should be wanting clubs to do in the midst of a full-on arms war.

The NBL wants all four of those factors, having that third import means added depth to the league because teams can spend less to achieve that 4th/5th decent player on their roster, the money saved can be used to spend more to attract Australians from overseas.

They have also increased the rosters from 10 to 11 to ensure there are a decent number of Australian spots and opportunities to develop Australians.

This is an area I think the NBL have actually done a really good job in balancing those four important factors.

Reply #784982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another nbl1 or nba stash spot now going back down to 3 imports in 8-10 years when there is more quality aus/kiwi stock.

With over 10-20 retirements this year and next, we don't have many that can fill the void apart from the players from nba, Europe or college that will come back to the nbl each year.

How many ncaa college kids will be in nbl next year?, 1 or 2....
How many nba guys come back?, maybe 1.
G league guys, 1, maybe 2.
Euro guys, 2-4 possibly.
Nbl1 guys who make the leap into nbl? 1-3 normally.

Next year, about the same expectation of 6-10 new guys coming in.
Another team in tassie 21/22 season. Need 10 more guys.

Reply #784983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Yeah, we all know those third imports - guys like Benson, Sigler, Ramone Moore, Taylor and Hobson are the guys keeping the league alive)

All of those players are better than froling and his brother.
And with only 2 imports who's to say teams wont still get a dud import?
I like the way teams can use imports off the bench, it means Australians are getting more playing time and getting better as players. Isn’t that what you want?
And yes 2 imports would be boring as bat sh;t, most of Australian basketball players are boring.

Reply #784998 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I preferred the NBL when there were more "boring" Australian players.

Reply #785000 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"All of those players are better than froling and his brother"

And this is why the Froling's and other young players need more court time.

"And with only 2 imports who's to say teams wont still get a dud import? "

Then sack him and get another. Simple.

"... it means Australians are getting more playing time..."

No. More imports being in the league, by definition, means Australians are getting less court time.

Reply #785002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(The poster who said 2 imports would be "boring as batshit" must not have been around in the 90s.)

Your living in the past man.......
You my friend assume to much I started watching the NBL in 1988 to be exact.
The 90's where an exciting time for basketball the world over with all that Jordan hype. But time moves on and it will never be the same again so get over it.
This year has been the best NBL season ever and we have 3 imports and a next star and it’s awesome.

Reply #785004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(The NBL risks becoming simply a poor man's NBA if the local content is further diluted. )

Wait what are they bringing in more imports next year? If not what?

Reply #785006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This year has been the best NBL season ever and we have 3 imports and a next star and it's awesome."

With the exception of Cairns and Melbourne, all teams have got at least one import who is very underwhelming.

Reply #785008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hay if your going to have a go at me the least you could do is read it all and not select to leave important pats out.

("... it means Australians are getting more playing time...")

(No. More imports being in the league, by definition, means Australians are getting less court time.)

This what I said.........
I like the way teams can use imports off the bench, it means Australians are getting more playing time and getting better as players. Isn't that what you want?

But I don’t care if the NBL fans want to go regress and go back to the old out dated ways that’s fine I’ll just go back to watching the nba all good.

Reply #785013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(With the exception of Cairns and Melbourne, all teams have got at least one import who is very underwhelming.)

So what, they need better scouts then?
I've enjoyed watching all of the imports this season. Best NBL season ever.

Reply #785016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So what"

So it means the third import is not really contributing to the season being "teh bestest eva!!!"

How has Benson and Armstrong getting DNP's made the league better? Has Dario Hunt continuously being in foul trouble improved the quality of the league? I love watching Ramone Moore and Deshon Taylor barely scoring in extended minutes....

Reply #785019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

("All of those players are better than froling and his brother"

And this is why the Froling's and other young players need more court time.)

No they need a better work ethic and a determination to be an nba player. After froling retuned from the nba combine last year he played for the huskies in the nznbl and has been crap ever since.
In reality all the young Australian basketball players have a chance to play in the NBL with plenty of chances to show there talent in nbl1 nznbl then if there go enough the NBL, but why would they limit them self's to the NBL? why not go to the USA and go to college and aspire for the nba?

Reply #785021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(So it means the third import is not really contributing to the season being "teh bestest eva!!!"

How has Benson and Armstrong getting DNP's made the league better? Has Dario Hunt continuously being in foul trouble improved the quality of the league? I love watching Ramone Moore and Deshon Taylor barely scoring in extended minutes....)

Like I said before the teams need better scouts then, but still I've enjoyed watching all the imports this season it’s not my problem you haven’t.......gee your angry, settle down it’s just a game.

Reply #785023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Like I said before the teams need better scouts then"

Are you really that thick?

Reply #785025 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Great idea, for the third import slot, rather than allowing a fourth import

Reply #785029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul said "We've added a new team this year without diminishing the standard."

Yeah that's why Phoenix are 2nd last. Good thing there is parity in the League ;)

Reply #785032 | Report this post

Most third imports are mediocre at best Moore, Singler, Hobson ( worst of the lot) Kidd, Hunt and Benson ( now gone).
You could say go back to two imports but unless you get an influx of high level college, NBA or Euro guys you would have to fill the gaps with state league level players.

Reply #785041 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Yeah that's why Phoenix are 2nd last. Good thing there is parity in the League"

I look forward to reading your discussion about how the standard of the league has dropped this season.

Reply #785055 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Addition of new teams is reason enough to include a third import.

Phoenix came into a great situation where Creek and Madgen were available so they could score their core aussie stars without needing to poach from other teams or wait until contracts finish.

The hope will be when Tasmania enters the extra salary available will help draw some more Australians back into the league. They are more likely to have to poach and pay premium to draw some good core aussie talent.

Reply #785090 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

The only team this year thats really got 3 imports working well is Cairns, but they are cheap elsewhere on the roster with the Aussie Talent.

Even with 3 imports are many of the 3rd strong imports actually that much better than the locals who's minutes they are taking? or Perhaps its young returning college guys who would get more exposure to NBL minutes?

Reply #785100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I look forward to reading your discussion about how the standard of the league has dropped this season."

Ilawarra expected. Adelaide shit, new team shit, Bullets still crap, Breakers imploding. Cairns the only improvers over many sides that are crap. Good thing there is parity. How's that.

Reply #785106 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As in depth as I expected.

Reply #785107 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

They aren't bad, it’s just the nature of the NBL where if you don’t put the effort in on game night, if you don’t getting things clicking you will lose no matter who you play.

The NBL is competitive, the talent is there, the parity is always a question to be raised but the fact it hasn’t been so clearly prevalent over the years is due to incredible efforts of Hawks of the past, cairns of today and the Joey Wrights during an extended period

Reply #785109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As in depth as I expected." Yep. I don't do player by player stuff. I am a fan not a pretend coach. You can tell me where I am wrong. Go ahead.

Reply #785154 | Report this post

Are 106 and 154 the same clown.

Reply #785157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try and contribute to the topic Perthworlds personal wanker.

Reply #785292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ive actually enjoyed reading KET's responses, brought logic to the discussion which isn't often seen on this forum

Reply #785300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, shame it's not related to the NBL1 topic.

Reply #785304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually think KET does address the topic in one of their earlier posts, mate

Reply #785312 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:24 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754