Jack Toft
Years ago

Hawks v Cats Jan 10

If ever there was a danger game, this is it.

The Cats are sitting on the heals of the Kings just waiting for them to do their usual end of season implode so they can snatch top spot. The Hawks are done for the season. They could get off the bottom of the table, but then again Scomo might get a handshake from a grumpy firefighter.

But, that doesn't means those Hawks are playing bad baskeball. Blanchfield is scoring at will (much like any good looking fella at the Arkaba on a Saturday night in the 80's ;) ) and the rest of the team are contributing, albeit not quite in unison at times. However, they did scalp the Kings less than a fortnight ago so anything is possible, although 1 and 4 is not the form they would like.

The Cats haven't exactly set the world alight in their last 5 games with 2 and 3 their return. A slightly better outcome would have seen them on top of the ant hill. Their last game was a loss against Brisbane with Lamar ripping 35 points off of them. If they go into this game with the same mindset, then it will be three losses in a row. It's almost like they are trying to gift Taipans second spot.

But the claws should be out tonight. No reason for the Cats not to win and this is their game to lose. Illawarra will fight hard and Blanchfield and Coenraad will keep them in the game with 3's, but unless they can control Cotton the Cats will win this one by about 9.

Topic #46694 | Report this topic

Senator11  
Years ago

Any updates on Damo?

I think we bounce back here, we usually murder the Hawks. Should be a high scoring affair I would think.

Reply #785583 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Damo is not expected back until February

Reply #785585 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Damo is not expected back until February"

Cheers.

Reply #785587 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Frankly I'm surprised we didn't have a better "Plan B" for Damo's inevitable injury.
Obviously we're in good shape having Norton to step up and play 25~30 minutes, but then the backup PG cupboard is pretty bare.
In the past we've had TPs, like Dech, but I don't even know who they are this season. Given the requirement will soon enough become permanent, I'd have thought we'd have somebody in the pipeline. If Britt is it, then maybe we should have gotten a few more minutes into him.

This will be an interesting intro to the league for Plums. Watching he and Boone go at it should be entertaining. Hopefully we get a nice poster of him dunking on AJ. :-)

Is their any sign of Lamelo?? The others have all stepped up in his absence, and even Hobson is looking good. But I just can't see Perth losing this.

Reply #785588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The hawks can be dangerous for the top teams this season and with plumlee coming in for his first NBL game he will more than likely foul out, and maybe a little clunky and in the way. I just hope it's a good close game like the cairns nz game.

Reply #785592 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What's the injury that's keeping Martin out til February

Hawks have been playing reasonably lately, and Perth have lost a couple in a row.....which means Hawks are due for a shocker and Perth will be hungry, so Perth should win this comfortably.

Reply #785593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damo has an ankle injury.

Their plan B for Damo's retirement is get an import PG when Bryce gets his citizenship. Until then, the minutes can be split between Norton, Cotton and Britt.

Reply #785599 | Report this post

Perth with ease not even close.

Reply #785600 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Naar over 15.5 pts and assists, lock it.

Reply #785601 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Cats by less than 10.
Plumlee to play less than 8 minutes and everyone to jump on the bandwagon that he's not good enough and the Wildcats are doomed. 300+ comments in this thread followed by 3 new threads about the same thing in the next 24hrs.

Reply #785602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth but in a close one. Illawarra have been playing better lately even though they went 0 - 2 last week.

Reply #785603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The back up plan was getting mins into swani at point, kinda went pear shaped when he did his ankle and missed half the season. Then i imagine the cotton import spot thing.

Reply #785605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats. Most NBL games are under 10, this won't be any different. Very interested to see how Plumlee goes, and how quickly the commentary teams drool over him. Will be mentioned he has played nba, and how many brothers he has.

Reply #785606 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Their plan B for Damo's retirement is get an import PG when Bryce gets his citizenship."

If that's plan B for his retirement, then what's plan A?

Norton didn't sign-on to backup an import, and won't hang around to go backwards, so we'll still need another backup PG

Reply #785607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Norton didn't sign-on to backup an import, and won't hang around to go backwards"

He is currently not capable of handling the starting PG duties.

Reply #785608 | Report this post

Norton has time to improve only 26.
But best spot for him is backup point guard.

Reply #785609 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Martin + Norton was a perfectly fine plan for this season's PG spot, especially considering Cotton can fill in as well when needed. The salary cap specifically limits how stacked your backup spots can be. Some people seem to be forgetting that.

Reply #785610 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Norton's best is at backup, unless he had some significant talent like Damo's defence then it's pretty unlikely you will be a starting Aussie PG in the league.

Reply #785611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Plumlee Era begins!

Reply #785613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Begun, the Plumlee era has

Reply #785614 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Plumdog Millionaire!

Reply #785615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech will probably go to Cotton, could be interesting, Norton v Naar could get interesting as well, can Norton stop Naar attacking skills but who can Naar guard, Cotton would like that match up. Can Blanchfield play a few good games in a row ? Don't normally happen, White has been poor lately will he step up. Kay will be to good in the four for who ever they throw at him. Boone and Ogilvy have been decent so Majok and the new bloke will have to play hard.
Perth bench to experienced with Flopstaff so Perth by 15.

Reply #785617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All that drivel just so you could say Flopstaff!

Reply #785625 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Plumlee to play less than 8 minutes and everyone to jump on the bandwagon that he's not good enough and the Wildcats are doomed. 300+ comments in this thread followed by 3 new threads about the same thing in the next 24hrs.

So? If other teams had the amount of supporters we have then they would get similar traffic on here.

Reply #785628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^lol you sound like a child

Reply #785630 | Report this post

Please excuse my brother he doesn't always think before posting.

Reply #785634 | Report this post

no need to think we just win

Reply #785638 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

If the Hawkies DON'T play that cancerous waste of space, playing in a dinner suit Hobson for 30+ minutes they'll get the W!

Reply #785641 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Hobson plays with the passion of a 50 year old factory worker. Somehow manages good assist numbers, but jacks too many 3's without being able to shoot them well.

Reply #785651 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Spot on Senator11.
His good assists numbers are negated by his weak D reads, lazy 3 misses & lazy or hero turnovers : (

Reply #785656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Please excuse my brother he doesn't always think before posting.)

(no need to think we just win)

You and your split personality sounds like a phychopath.

Reply #785658 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Cats keep talking about how Plumlee will be on a minutes restriction as he learns the plays. I reckon they're foxing a bit here. With their weakness at C, if he shows any form at all, I reckon Glesson will run with him.

He's going to have to learn the sets at some point, and no harm in learning them in a game against the cellar dwellers.

Reply #785660 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

People see something they like, and wanna join in......
...I enjoy reading hoops.com.au.
This'll be good game t' watch.......
......i will stay in town.. drinking lemon squash ... and cooling down.....

Reply #785662 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

If Ogilvy plays, expect him to get dunked on...hard.

Reply #785665 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #785668 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Ooof, I was sitting a few rows back from courtside for that game, everyone got on their feet...except for Ogilvy...

Reply #785669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll never mock a man who attempts a block or to change a shot, and gets dunked on.

Reply #785672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was more what happened prior. AJ and Prather had just had an altercation, a bit of a push and shove, and the next play Prather dunked on him.

Reply #785674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Is that all

Reply #785683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What else happened?

Reply #785685 | Report this post

That's old news

Reply #785688 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"I'll never mock a man who attempts a block or to change a shot, and gets dunked on."

Ditto. One of the reasons I like Aron Baynes.

Reply #785699 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"The salary cap specifically limits how stacked your backup spots can be"

There is no salary cap. There is a luxury tax threshold.

Reply #785700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's Travers?f

Reply #785701 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Miles is on.

Reply #785706 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Norton hits 2 early triples.
Hawks: yeah let's leave him wide open for a third one

Cheers guys

Reply #785707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plumlee may very well end up in the same basket at Steve Blake and Al Harrington. Veteran NBA guys who were hyped beyond comprehension and the reality just never reaches the level of the hype. Time shall tell.

Reply #785709 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

At least he gets to debut against AJ.

Reply #785710 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

2 fouls in 3:33 not the ideal start for him

Reply #785711 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

How good is this shooting

Reply #785713 | Report this post

It's raining threes for Perth.

Reply #785714 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Perth shooting like they did in the 2nd Q vs the Kings last time.

Reply #785715 | Report this post

Wildcats not even needing a centre the way they're playing.

Reply #785716 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Only thing you can rely on Blanchfield for is being unreliable.

Reply #785718 | Report this post

trayvis  
Years ago

how bad is illawara shooting

Reply #785719 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's hard to adjust back after facing Adelaide's weak D, especially for Blanchfield who was made to feel like a sharp shooter again.

Reply #785720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobson is straight garbage. Was forced on Illawarra by LK and is hurting rather than helping the Hawks. Flinn should just bench him and not play him at all if Campbell and Stratford won't let him cut the useless dude.

Reply #785722 | Report this post

How cheap are the Hawks only contributing $300 to bushfire relief so far :)

Reply #785725 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

^^ Fair call anonymous!!!!!

Reply #785726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How cheap are the Hawks only contributing $300 to bushfire relief so far :)"

They requested that the NBL step in and help them out by taking away from Sydney, Perth and Melbourne.

Reply #785728 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hobson's D is worse than his shooting

Reply #785729 | Report this post

Hobson is atrocious

Reply #785730 | Report this post

Ananon  
Years ago

Hobson is the worst basketball player in the world

Reply #785731 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Wildcats starters will come back in to start the 4th and the lead will be 20+ 3 mins later

Reply #785733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cats not so flash when they aren't fluking every 3 point shot

Reply #785734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plumlee looking good to me. Cats favourites for title, in second gear and still kicking arse.

Reply #785736 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yep, I've liked what I've seen from him. Just what I was hoping for.

Reply #785737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plumlee the missing link. Bad matchup for Bogut. The Kings won't beat the Cats in a series if Perth stays relatively healthy.

Reply #785740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks when they play like that are rubbish, Perth are a great side but hawks play some defence. Build the side around Dech and Glover. Get a quality import point guard and five man. Blanchfield is a bench player and the rest should go. Ogilvy back up five and get rid the rest.

Reply #785743 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Plumlee have that rim protection we needed desperately, feels like it took a lot of pressure off the rest of the team. Hawks looked best when Naar was running the show, gets benched though to finish the game, terrible coaching. Best moment of the game, Steindl putting Glover in his arse then blocking his shot on the very next play.

Reply #785749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Von Hoffe is the biggest flog in the nbl. I can't believe they let him on that post game show. Makes Carey look credible

Reply #785760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plumlee is a big body, I wasn't impressed at first, but that block he had in the 3rd had me thinking, that’s what he was there for! Once he find his feet and some sort of decent shot selection, he will be a problem. Cats at this late stage of the season, health pending, shouldn’t lose it from here.

Reply #785764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whibia this Von Hoffe guy? seen him on twitter and he comes on like a preening little twat.

Reply #785765 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Miles is an upgrade on Hunt no doubt, smarter but also taller which is the missing piece of the puzzle for us.

Reply #785766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem with Naar is that while he runs an offence alright and today it was against the Perth DP or bench guys is that he leaks so bad defensively. Hawks go problems.

Reply #785773 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Shocking crowd tonight 2,532.

Reply #785775 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"The salary cap specifically limits how stacked your backup spots can be. Some people seem to be forgetting that."
It doesn't limit your TPs, nor your selection of DPs.

Martin STILL in a moon-boot is a worry.

I like what I saw of Plumlee. Good to have a genuine big who can take on the others in the league, and loving the physical D.
Plus I like that one game in, after limited practice, he knows his role and plays it well.
Also loved how engaged he appeared!
And hey, so far, bucking his F/T average.

Reply #785780 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Martin last season is coming to a close.

Wildcats will have Machado, Plumlee, Cotton, White next season.

Reply #785787 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

When Damo is gone it will free up some big money to go after Machado...once Cotton naturalizes. Good times.

Reply #785806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin is on Machado money? Yikes. Is there a worse value for money contract in the league this season? Griffin maybe in the running.

Reply #785842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He didnt say they were on the same contract.

Reply #785844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin is more valuable to the Wildcats than Machado is to the Taipans

Reply #785846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't see the Cats going after Machado. They'll promote Norton to the starting 5 IMHO. Did Norton really go to Perth just to play 15 minutes per game off the bench even after Martin retires? I doubt it.

Reply #785861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He probably came to Perth to win championships

Reply #785863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton is clearly playing for the love of the game, like everyone else on Perth. (Not the ca$h)

Reply #785866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whatever the case, he needs to improve a lot to get the starting job.

Reply #785887 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:03 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754