D2.0
Years ago

End of an Era - Perth after Martin

Been a bit of talk about this in other threads, so thought I'd consolidate it here.

Personally, I was hoping he would play on, and will still be glad if that happens. But the 1yr contract made it clear he was a year-by-year proposition, and it was obvious even before the ankle injury that he was carrying something else.

"When Damo is gone it will free up some big money to go after Machado...once Cotton naturalizes. Good times."

Not sure what the squad will look like next year. It could be Martin will retire, but we already need an extra spot to fit Travers.
Fortunately Steindl is contracted, so his good form won't see him poached.

Vague is out of contract, and despite outstanding off-season work in the SEABL and last year the NZNBL, he's not really made that step up, yet.

Topic #46702 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import / Norton / Britt
Cotton / SG? / Buluk
White? / Steindl / Travers
Kay / Wagstaff? / Vague?
Import / Majok

Reply #785874 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Should get Dech back straight away to replace Martin and also get Grida into the squad to eventually replace Wagstaff and get them out of a losing and into a winning culture.

Reply #785876 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

A couple of weeks back in his Sunday Times article, he ended the column saying something to the effect of 'I know my future Wildcats years will be as apart of the red army.' (Can't find exact article).

I remember thinking that was an interesting and ominous way to end an article.

Reply #785892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was hoping Norton would turn into Damo's heir, he's shown flashes and is possibly the best backup PG in the league, but i don't think that he has what it takes to play starter minutes against the leagues star import PG crop. I think naturalising cotton and getting an import PG will be the plan.

Reply #785893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech isn't really a pg and grida is a g/f not a pf like Wagstaff.

Reply #785894 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

The Perth Wildcats are talking to Haywood Highsmith. Talks are in the establishment stage. Long way to go. Just feelers.

Reply #785897 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Assuming Damo retires, the 11 man roster looks like this:

Norton / ??
Cotton / WLSLB / Travers
White / Steindl
Kay / Wagstaff / Vague
Plumlee/ Majok

Something has to give.

Reply #785899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech is a point guard, unusual for Perth to let quality players go.

Reply #785922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They didn't let him go. He was offered a deal but he chose to leave to seek more playing time.

Reply #785929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good decision. Perth is a good team but terrible for development.

Reply #785942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, Perth is good.

Reply #785943 | Report this post

So much depending on Cotton being naturalised.

Reply #785975 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"So much depending on Cotton being naturalised."

I know everyone keeps saying "Naturalise cotton and get a Gun import PG", but I don't see it as bing that straight forward?

Plan A must be that Norton steps in Damo's role, with a decent backup or combo guard off the bench. Bring in a gun Import PG, and Norton either leaves or becomes an expensive luxury.

Reply #785997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let him leave then. There is no guarantee that he gets the starting job, and the team comes first.

Reply #786002 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Can't imagine Norton is in the top 6 of the highest paid cats.. So not a bad back up.

Reply #786008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a couple of days ago Dazz shits on the cats because having Norton as a backup pg is a bad plan b. Today Norton is so good that being a starting pg is a good plan a. it would be comedy gold but I think he is being serious and homicide might have to give up his king of flip flopping crown.

Reply #786028 | Report this post

MD  
Years ago

Norton is a solid backup - not a starting calibre player... Perth need an import Point guard for next season. They would do well to target an Aussie bigman like Duop Reath or Mathiang for the starting 5. If Cotton doesn't naturalize, with an Aussie 5 they'll still be free to keep White and add that Import PG. Signing Grida to come off the bench and you're looking at one of the strongest Perth rosters we have seen.

Import/Norton
Cotton/Grida/Travers
White/Steindl
Kay/Wagstaff/Vague
Reath or Mathiang/Majok

Reply #786051 | Report this post

^ good roster MD but I believe Wani Swaka Lo Buluk is also signed next season.
Not so sure Vague is worth keeping.

Reply #786053 | Report this post

Who knows maybe Plumlee will want to be around next season.

Reply #786055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I predict that if he is back next season it will be with another team

Reply #786057 | Report this post

PLease sign Dech and Grida.

Reply #786078 | Report this post

Wouldn't mind Dech but it's wishful thinking as he has another year on Hawks contract.

Reply #786079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grida has had a very poor year, hoping he goes to Perth.

Reply #786083 | Report this post

No room for Grida with Wani Swaka Amanda Travers.

Reply #786087 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"a couple of days ago Dazz shits on the cats because having Norton as a backup pg is a bad plan b."

Dude, you need to learn to read English. and/or lay off the crack-pipe.

What I have clearly said, all-along, is that having Norton as the Heir-Presumptive to Damo is a fantastic advantage to the Cats,

What we need, and its the same question if he takes over permanently, is someone to play backup.
I'm not sure Britt is up to being a 10 min+ player yet?

Reply #786094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taylor & Cotton together in the backcourt with Terrico
When it happens don't be surprised

Reply #786185 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Taylor Britt

Reply #786200 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Perth with Cotton as an import
Machado (or similar), Norton
Cotton, Travers
White, Steindl, Lo Buluk
Kay, Wagstaff
Mathiang/Reath, Majok

If Cotton is local keep Plumlee or another import big.

Let Vague go."

I suspect Perth had their plan in place, but the Hawks pipped them. Rumour is that Dech was offered a contract, but I don't know, it might have just been another year as a TP and injury replacement. As its happened, with injuries to Brookes and Ball, it has turned out well for him.

Vague? I don't know, but assume he's destined to fill Wagstaff's role on his retirement.

Reply #786712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You seem to assume that players are assigned roles for life eg Vague to take over Wagstaff, Norton to be the starting PG. Neither of those players are good enough to do those things so the club needs to look elsewhere.

Reply #786718 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I take your point, especially regarding Vague.
But that opens up another line of questioning. Wagstaff won't be far behind Martin. If Vague isn't going to develop, then who's around?

Reply #786806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would actually like to see Mitch McCarron in a Wildcats uniform. Think he would fit in perfectly alongside Cotton. Not sure what his contract situation is.

Reply #786808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know Cotton's status re becoming australian?

Reply #786811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth spend huge coin but McCarron has an extra year to go on his contract and he's on money that I don’t think Perth would match.

Reply #786813 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:04 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754