Aussie
Years ago

Jalen Green out of NBL Next stars race

I was hoping he would come to the NBL but he now makes it clear he is not

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Jalen-Green-Pro-Route-Auburn-Memphis-Oregon-USC-Florida-State-142457718/

Topic #46756 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next stars will be non existent next year with college's paying their players. More draft & stash players will be playing in our league from next season

Reply #787793 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"More draft & stash players will be playing in our league from next season"

Like one of the current Next Stars, Didi Louzada?

Reply #787795 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Whilst I like the draft and stash players, they won't bring in the crowds and exposure that predicted top draft picks will

Reply #787797 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Next stars will be non existent next year with college's paying their players.

As far as I'm aware, colleges won't be paying their players next year or the following year.

Reply #787798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^yep

Reply #787804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

COlleges won't directly be paying players beyond cost of attendance for a long time. They are looking at allowing players to earn money for their likeness but this would be outside payments from the institutions. Players in the NBL can get paid for their likeness anyway. The process of paying students to play sport is actually quite complex in the US.

Reply #787807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next stars will be non existent when the NBA removes the one and done rule

Reply #787827 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Next stars will be non existent when the NBA removes the one and done rule

Yes. That's why next season is important

Reply #787835 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Draft and stash will always be a thing with 30 nba teams. Next stars is going no where

Reply #787862 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I think they need to adjust the NS rules, but I don't know that the program is under threat.

You have to assume there's a high level of intelligence behind what the NBA teams do, so stashing non-required players like Didi in the NBL will always be an attractive option. Especially if we're paying!

I'm sure that our taking guys like Ball and Hampton irks some people, but is it enough of a threat to prompt costly retaliation??

I'm not 100% clear on the reasons behind the 12 months removed rule? It seems to me that a lot of these kids are already 18, so the legal impediments should be absent. I know there is a lot of socio-political heat associated with the idea of recruiting kids out of high-school, but they already put restrictions on the colleges recruiting so could just as easily extend that to the pros.

Keep in mind that the pros don't necessarily want these kids, they just don't want anyone else to get them first. Having the kids turn pro (and thereby negating any other sports scholarship offers) and play in a quality league like the NBL, which is both neutral and doesn't compete with the NBA, is probably a good solution.

There was a lot of talk about the G-League adopting its own program. I don't know if that happened, or is happening?? Maybe it created more problems than its solved??
Last thing anybody wants to see is a flood of kids turning pro, flooding the G-League, and being kicked to the curb after 1 or 2 seasons.
As corrupt as their system may be, the NCAA will claim the high-ground, pointing out that they are offering kids a "quality education" (sic) and the chance of a career outside sports.

The BIGGEST danger to our program is kids like Terry Armstrong. If he gets bounced after a season, can't get a gig anywhere, and winds up mowing lawns for a living instead of going to college, then the NBL is going to look like a bunch of dickheads.

Reply #787882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love hearing experts talk about something they know f all about,

Reply #787883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A huge part of Didi playing here was to learn English. He's a bit of an anomaly.

Reply #787886 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

"Love hearing experts talk about something they know f all about,"

You will enjoy being part of Hoops then as the posts here are 95% speculation and opinion and 5% fact.

That is what makes it interesting!?

Reply #787892 | Report this post

I'm happy with draft and stash.
Bring players over "to learn" english.
Sydney have done it this season let other teams do it next season.

Reply #787904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was a projected late first round or second round pick, there is no way I'd be coming to the NBL. It's way tougher then playing college and it exposes your flaws more profoundly then it would if U were at the college level.

Brian Bowen was a projected late first round pick before coming to the NBL and went undrafted. Terry Armstrong was a projected draft pick and now he is ranked around 93 on ESPN's mock boards.

The Next stars program benefits elite talents like RJ and Melo,not mediocre players like Terry Armstrong and Brian Bowen.

Reply #787909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next Stars was always going to be niche. In 2 years now they've had 5 players, only 2 of which (Hampton and Armstrong) fit the original template of guys choosing to come to go pro rather than college. Ball was ineligble for college, Bowen sanctioned and forced to sit and Didi obviously already drafted.

It looks like working out ok for Hampton, but Armstrong clearly made the wrong call.

While there may be 1 or 2 guys a year that make the proactive choice to go this route, you're more likely to get guys who are ruled inelgible or forced to sit for a year. Even then, there will always be competition from clubs in other league with more money.

The lack of transparency with the NS program has always been a fault too. I think one day we'll find Ball and Hampton are getting far more than what the league is willing to admit. I also beleive someone like Ball would have had some sort of minutes promise.

The final problem of the program is that most 18 year olds are simply not ready to contribute to winning basketball at NBL level, meaning you either play them for the sake of the clicks or you don't and they never play, like Armstrong. If they play, the NBL becomes nothing but a G-League developmental league. Not a good look.

Reply #787930 | Report this post

NTB  
Years ago

Quite certain Armstrong wasn't able to cut the mustard academically to qualify for college.

Reply #788116 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:19 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754