Anonymous
Years ago

What are the Pass Marks for Coaches this season?

What does each coach/team need to achieve, to avoid awkward questions being asked.

ADELAIDE: A winning season.
BRISBANE: Make the finals.
CAIRNS: already passed.
HAWKS: Not win the spoon.
UNITED: Make the GF
BREAKERS: Winning Season
PERTH: Maintain the Streak
PHOENIX: 12 Wins
SYDNEY: Make the GF

Topic #46776 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

for Perth it is always "Win the title"

Reply #788483 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd agree with all those. Perth, Sydney and Melbourne really need to be making the post-season at a minimum. Cairns have defied expectations already. Phoenix maybe dodge bottom two. Adelaide and New Zealand to at least be in the post-season mix come the last round. Post-season for Adelaide would be beating expectations. Brisbane - probably post-season? Hawks have been hamstrung by the import situation (Ball bailing and Brooks not getting replaced well) so I don't know if the coach is the primary concern, probably more so club survival.

Reply #788485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide, top four
Brisbane, top four
Cairns, top six
Hawks , not spoon
United, win GF
NZ, top four
Perth, win GF
Phoenix, not win spoon
Sydney make , GF

Cairns and Phoenix have achieved goals the rest is still to play out. Pressure should be right on United with there millions spent on squad.

Reply #788489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide, top four
Brisbane, top four
Cairns, win more than 6 games this season: pass
Hawks , get Lamelo to number 1 draft position
United, make top 4
NZ, top four
Perth, win GF
Phoenix, not win spoon
Sydney win GF

Reply #788490 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

No one expected Adelaide to make the Top 4 this season.

Once Randle was signed expectations became Top 4 contender (which they are likely to be) before that expectations were down near the bottom of the ladder.

Reply #788492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hawks , get Lamelo to number 1 draft position"

If that occurs, it will have absolutely zero impact on Flinn and his perceived coaching ability.

Reply #788496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor pass mark for United to make top four with the amount of money spent and two time coach of the year. Winners or bust.

Reply #788507 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The Pass Mark of Sydney, Melbourne and Perth would be to make the GF.

It is not fair to say Perth must win or that's a failure, if that is the case they must be serial losers having failed 24 years of their 33 year playoff run.

For everyone else their pass mark should be the playoffs, thats what you play for isn't it?

Otherwise you are just there to exist.

Reply #788512 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wildcats can win the title and still the awkward questions that need to be asked will remain: "Umm Trev can you please put on a looser polo?"

Reply #788523 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

^ solid gold.

Reply #788533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ADELAIDE: Get Froling in shape to back up rookie of the year D-
BRISBANE: Make Cadee less of a flog F
CAIRNS: Doesnt matter already passed with A+.
HAWKS: Stay relevant C
UNITED: Get Trimble to continue his Cairns Taipans form from last year F
BREAKERS: Coaching staff to be more animated C
PERTH: Be irritating to every other supporters and win championship A+
PHOENIX: Showcase Wild Kyle to any NBA scouts sniffing around D-
SYDNEY: Head coach to be more passionate and say what he thinks in regards to Refs A+

Reply #788536 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Given that Victoria is considered the strongest and most aware basketball state in the country, any time a Victorian team doesn't make the GF will be considered a fail.

United doesn't need flashy players and glitz and glamour to bring in the fans (like Sydney might) - it just needs solid reliable players who will do what it takes at both ends in order to get there, and who fans will support because of that. A BJ Kennedy rather than a Long, a Ware rather than a Trimble, etc. Flash and glitz and glamour are just the icing on the cake; it's the results and team playing style that matter.

This season, Crivelli (& Vickerman) have given us chocolate-covered turd with sprinkles, so a definite F in my view.

Much as I don't like Perth, I wish United would recruit and play a lot more like them. (Except for the flopping and drama queens and constant bitching at the refs, of course.)

Reply #788584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that last part goes without saying since those are the only areas United already matches Perth in

Reply #788588 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I've kept mine pretty straight forward:

Adelaide - top four
Brisbane - top four
Cairns - double-figure wins
Hawks - double-figure wins
United - make GF
NZ - top four
Perth - make GF
Phoenix - double-figure wins
Sydney - make GF

Reply #788600 | Report this post

Going on Paul's logic
Adelaide ?
Brisbane ?
Cairns ✓
Illawarra × unlikely to win 5 more.
Melbourne ?
New Zealand ?
Perth ?
Phoenix ✓ if they get one more win.
Sydney?

Reply #788610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks: still be in the comp next season

Reply #788625 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I rate Vickerman...

But surely questions must be asked?
Yes they had awkward injuries, and have played some good games. You'd have to credit them with a "series win" against Perth on aggregate.

But not making the top 4???

Reply #790737 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

He's smart enough for NBL and is extremely dedicated to his team, but I just don’t think he’s the right guy for this group.

Reply #790771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think the group is right for the group.

Reply #790775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering he put the group together, I'd say that’s not an excuse. If they don’t make GF at a minimum vickerman has failed.

Reply #790782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@hoopie: Given that Victoria is considered the strongest and most aware basketball state in the country, any time a Victorian team doesn't make the GF will be considered a fail.

It's the NBL mate, seriously.........!!!

If the discussion was based on AUS juniors or nationals, fair enough, but that chip on your shoulder must be the size of a branch by now if this is your lead into the debate on NBL coaches...

Reply #791006 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Sorry ^that was me LOL

Reply #791007 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:55 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754