Jack Toft
Years ago

Brisbane v New Zealand Feb 7

Massive game in the scheme of things. Brisbane (14/11) are sitting 4th and you would think a win would lock in that spot. New Zealand (13/13) are 5th and like an All Blacks team down by 2 points with 5 mins to play, still think they can win. So much so, rumour has it that they've flown over Kevin Tuakanaoruru, master plumber from Whakatane armed with a caulking gun and a pallet load of no more gaps from new sponsors, Selleys, to give the roof of the BEC a little tickle to make sure the game lasts the full 40 mins. Will the roof hold up? Word from Kevin, is "choice".

New Zealand have refused to die this season. Dramas on and off the court have tempered their resolve and now their season comes down to this. Brisbane seemed to have buoyed along the first half the season, then gone into beast mode once their coach was told that he was no longer required for national duties. Since he was dumped, the Bullets have improved incredibly. Even the JC5 clothing range is now doing better than First Ever. Jason is practicing his blue steel look for the catwalk.

Past results don't really count for much when the pressure is on, but New Zealand have had the wood over Brisbane this season. This game should go down to the wire and this season deserves a cliff hanger. I'm expecting Andre Lemanis to be pacing the sidelines like a tiger making sure every call is correct. If there's a game heading for OT, this could be it.

Breakers by 3

Topic #46847 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

This game should be a cracker.
Win or lose I'm proud of how NZ have bounced back in the second half of the season to give themselves a shot at the finals.
Brisbane will be super tough at home and pasted NZ in NZ last game.
I have to back the Breakers, NZ by 6.

Reply #791295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane still have a tough run home, lose today and the pressure valve against Perth and Cairns will be enormous. Win and finals secured. Should be great game, always get feeling Brisbane will choke though I'm hoping they don’t. NZ by one on the last shot of play from half court.

Reply #791307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be a tense game for NZ and MELB fans.
An NZ win would amazingly keeps United in the hunt with 3 winnable games to end the season (Gong, Cairns and SEM all at home)

Reply #791312 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I had to Google JCFive expecting to be Punk'd, but holy shit, it exists. :O

Reply #791351 | Report this post

B-Ball  
Years ago

Brisbane doesn't play at BEC anymore, it is Nissan Arena.

Brisbane by 10 and Hopson gets put in his place.

Reply #791357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers have recovered from an abysmal start to season to respectable overall effort. Tp beat Brisbane they need to keep Patterson off the line. They need to double team him aggressively and get the ball out of his hands. If someone else beats us so be it. But single coverage is just not an option. Abercrombie will get overpowered, backed down and end up fouling Patterson as he scores another 2 foot J. Regardless of the result, the Breakers have won me over for 2020/21 season.

Reply #791408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Got the mute out homicide and Cameron, horrible. Santa and Candy fine though.

Reply #791419 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I was REALLY looking forward to watching this game with some expert comments, and now I have to mute the flicking thing because dickaside is doing his usual verbal jerking off.

I hope the NBL pays attention to blogs like this to find out how fans feel, and then acts on negative comments to improve the viewer experience so that more will want to watch.

Reply #791420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A message for Cam Luke. "STOP FUCKING YELLING!"

Reply #791421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodgson showing good form in the first quarter again, I hope I'm not jinxing him but has the penny dropped. Cadee got to defend better.

Reply #791422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Williams is a disgrace. Swears on air yet again. And Luke is complete garbage. How the NBL thinks this guy is a good caller is beyond me. Santamaria is the only one acting like a professional in the box.

Reply #791423 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

chill out fellas enjoy the game

Reply #791425 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Game heating up. Exciting stuff with playoffs on the line!!

Reply #791426 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

One thing I do like about the NZB is that they seem like a really tight-knit group.

Reply #791428 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Yeah they do look like they enjoy playing together and Ashley, Henry & Hopson look like great locker room guys.

Both teams hitting some 3's

Reply #791429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What did homicide say/swear? Missed it

Reply #791433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm unable to watch the game but looking at the box score if Hopson continues to track for 35+ and Abercrombie, Loe and Henry contribute the Breakers are a hard team to beat.

Reply #791434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We should chill out but other than Santa it's been horrible. As viewers we should not have to put up with this rubbish commentary when there are better ones.
Good game can see nz winning this though.

Reply #791435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"One thing I do like about the NZB is that they seem like a really tight-knit group."

Which has always been the fabric of NZ Breaker teams, despite what the media tried to tell us this season.

Reply #791436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Commentary is dismal. Homicide I think dropped the 'Jesus' when trying to describe something that was a pretty normal basketball play. Cam Luke, needs to move on from this sport.

Breakers have settled, I love how they are balanced, soft spot developing for them.

Reply #791437 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Hodgson is such a boob. Has he ever not strenuously whinged about an obvious foul called on him?

Reply #791438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"and now I have to mute the flicking thing because dickaside is doing his usual verbal jerking off."

How many euphemisms is that?!

Reply #791440 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Don't give a f..k about the commentary -this is a good game ...enjoy it

Reply #791441 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

Yep, it's a good game. But what's wrong with Glizzo? 18 minutes for 1 shot and a couple of rebounds?

Reply #791444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noo Brisbane, please don't do the cringe adelaide "hungry jacks" chant, you're better than that

Reply #791446 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

damn good game

Reply #791447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People talk about the difference Hopson injury made, but not having Delany was massive. The kids had a high ceiling for some time and looked like he might not kick on, but he's been shooting great recently.

Reply #791448 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, fun game. Hopson one of my favourite players to watch.

Reply #791449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, pretty sad when the courtside announcer is encouraging the crowd to chant "HUN-GRY-JACKS" during opposition free throws. Very cringey.

Great for Hungry Jacks, but that's about it.

Reply #791450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow some awesome runs by both teams in this one. Great game!

Reply #791452 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I think the Breakers will make the playoffs

Reply #791453 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Hopson best player, ball late, isolation play - and they put Patterson with 4 fouls on him.
You know Patterson was going to play half defence.
Poor defensive decision making.

Reply #791454 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

One thing I've noticed in the NBL is why do players reach so much? Fundamental defence teaches not to reach.
So many avoidable fouls as a result of reaching;

Reply #791455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Breakers fan, I'm worried we lead close to the end only for Cadee to hit the game winner.

Reply #791456 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Good game

Reply #791457 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

Well, that was fun to watch!

Reply #791458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game

Reply #791459 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Re-entry of Patterson hurt the Bullets just my opinion. They were moving the ball exceptionally well before then; then it just became stagnated, slow and ball was sticking in players hands for too long;

Reply #791460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great win Breakers. Made some clutch plays down stretch. Kept our nose in front at right time. Devastating psychological blow for Brisbane.

Reply #791461 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The NBL needs to talk to Brisbane about resetting the shot clock when the team gains possession. Too many time NZ got the ball from a turnover and the 24 was already at 21.

Reply #791462 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Have to think Breakers are a real chance at the top 4 given who Brisbane/Melbourne/NZ are all playing over the final few games.

Reply #791463 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"The NBL needs to talk to Brisbane about resetting the shot clock when the team gains possession. Too many time NZ got the ball from a turnover and the 24 was already at 21."

Yep, noticed this too.

Reply #791464 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Game on.

Reply #791465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you look at the shot clock graphic? Because that is not necessarily aligned with the actual shot clock.

Reply #791466 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

What a game, a total roller coaster.
Ashley did well not to foul out and Hopson and Delaney were huge.
Keeps it interesting for NZ fans heading into the final round after languishing down the bottom of the table for the first half of the season.
Surprised Lemanis kept Patterson in the game with Hopson all over him. I was worried Cadee or Sobey would get loose and sink the Breakers with a couple of 3's but thankfully not.

Reply #791467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cracking game, the rub of the green favoured nz, but you make your own luck. Brisbane got tough run in from here could easily miss out. Nz are finals quality and could trouble either Sydney or Perth in first finals.

Reply #791468 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Ashley is very good except for the fouling.

Reply #791469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Ashley could stay out of foul trouble he'd be one of the top bigs in the league.

Interesting Hopson bringing up MVP talk post-game. No "I’m just happy for the win", he just made it clear he wanted to prove he was the best. With that, Patterson’s out of the race. If the Breakers make playoffs, can Hopson overtake Cotton and Machado?

Reply #791472 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

#486. Shot clock. Good try by they were flat out cheating in the shot clock the majority of the game

Reply #791474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really fun game! Was ok the fence so was just happy to see a roller coaster. Man that guy hops on can ball!

Muted the commentary, truly cringe worthy display but Luke and Carey. Santa has range and doesn't get overexcited.

Also noticed the shot clock issues. Hops on made a layup to tie it I believe or give the breakers the lead with under 2 to play. A time-out was immediately called, but at the resumption of play the shot clock was at 14!?

Reply #791475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FM, did you mean #466? It was a simple question about which clock was supposedly wrong.

Reply #791476 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

Great game. I've studied the ladder after that result. Obviously Brisbane are now on shaky ground. But so too are Cairns if they don't win tomorrow night. Lose that and it's plausible that they could lose to Melbourne and Brisbane (both away games). That could leave Cairns, NZ, Bris and Melb all with 15-13 records and percentage determining who plays finals.

My prediction:

3.Cairns (16-12)
4.NZ (15-13)
5.Bris (15-13)
6.Melb (14-14)

Reply #791478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#475 they advanced the ball to the front court. That's why the shot clock started on 14. Helps if you know the rules.

Reply #791480 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

Brisbane would be better off benching Sobey if it's close late, guy always tries to be a hero and fails.

He had a great game but he is not clutch.

Reply #791485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another horribly commentated game! So bad

Reply #791486 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I was REALLY looking forward to watching this game with some expert comments, and now I have to mute the flicking thing because dickaside is doing his usual verbal jerking off.

I hope the NBL pays attention to blogs like this to find out how fans feel, and then acts on negative comments to improve the viewer experience so that more will want to watch.

Heal has disappeared so maybe they are listening?

Homicide has always been Justin K's pet so with him leaving First Ever (and the NBL sphere?) the former could be gone too. Let's hope so.

Reply #791490 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bench played 33 minutes total.

Wonder what the NBL record is?

Reply #791503 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Gutted that one out. How we won that with six players (one of them a guard) against a full Brisbane squad is beyond me. The 3s in the first half kept us in, and Patterson's fourth foul made a constant defensive mismatch against Hopson.

After all these games, I seem to think other teams don't know what to do defensively against the Breakers. By playing everyone a position down (Hopson at the 2), its causing mismatches everywhere, especially in transition. Yet the team is switchable 1-4. Abercrombie's doing fairly well against opposition PGs, Henry is getting burned a bit (see: Cadee, Sobey early on) but we'll take that in the scheme of things.

Easy to run the main four (Finn-TA-Hopson-Henry) for over 35 minutes if you know its only one game this week and one game next week.

Reply #791542 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Do they keep Ashley next year? Being a good player but given his fouling.

His fouling hasn't improved, one would have thought it would over the course of the year.

Reply #791555 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ's Imports bigs have had a history of foul trouble so replacing him may not solve the issue.
I like his game and he looks to be a good guy so wouldn’t be against him returning.

Reply #791557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep him and have him work hard on the offseason. I'm sure the coaches can get him right.

One of the interesting things is how well the team is shooting. Loe, while always able to hit the 3 ball, has been particularly good this year when I always thought of him as a low % chucker . Delany could hit open ones, but now he’s a serious threat. All of this spaces the floor 1-5 and makes it very hard to defend. I think some credit should go to Dan & Mody - apparently one of the reasons there was some negative comments about their coaching was that they have the team doing two and sometimes 3 sessions a day and this isn’t normL in the NBL. But the improvement is showing.

Reply #791564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another example of the skills improvement: Abercrombie's willingness to put the ball on the floor and create. He hasn’t done that ever in his career

Reply #791566 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Yes Abercrombie bought the ball up against the press the other day. I couldn't believe it

Reply #791567 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

One thing that bugs me is that when people talk about the coaching it is Dan and Mody. What about Zico

Reply #791569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope the Breakers keep Ashley. He's one of the best bigs in the league and by all accounts a great guy. Can work on the fouling issues.

Reply #791571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shamir sets the program.

Mody does a lot of 1 on 1 work.

So, in terms of player skill development, I think Dan and Mody deserve a lot of credit. Every man and his dog was also saying they couldn't coach. Whereas everyone knows Zic can..

But the slick Breakers offence does have Zico’s fingerprints all over it especially their handoff and backdoor sets, made famous by Lemanis during his time, and that together with the pin downs has certainly played a role in Abercrombie turning back the clock.

Reply #791706 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:22 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754