Tiger
Years ago

Perth v Cairns Semi Final

With Perth now finishing 2nd and Cairns 3rd when will the semi finals be held. Anyone know the dates of the 3 match series.

Topic #46863 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

#2 - PERTH WILDCATS (18-9, 104.5%)

Remaining fixture: vs Adelaide (Saturday)

· Perth will finish second unless the Kings lose to the Hawks and 49-point gap between Sydney and Perth is closed

· Perth can drop to third if they lose to Adelaide and Cairns win both their games this round. However, the Wildcats hold around a 13-point advantage over the Taipans to start the round

#3 – CAIRNS TAIPANS (16-10, 104.0%)

Remaining fixture: at Melbourne (Thursday), at Brisbane (Saturday)

· The Taipans cannot finish any lower than third even with two losses this round

· Cairns can get to second if they win both games and Perth loses to Adelaide, with the Taipans needing to make up about a 13-point margin over those games

https://nbl.com.au/news/every-possible-nbl20-finals-scenario-heading-into-round-20

Reply #792011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth WILL beat Adelaide and that locks up second place.
As a Perth fan Cairns are not the team you would not want to bump into in the playoffs but I think Perth's experience should see them prevail.

Reply #792017 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Perth will want to make sure they have HCA so they should take care of Adelaide.
I think the Wildcats would have preferred to play any other team except Cairns in the SF. If the Cats go through I'd back them to beat Sydney or the 4th place finisher in the GF series.
If Cairns makes it through it's anyone's, though I'd love to see Cairns go all the way.

Reply #792021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne have still got the cattle and if they get in and meet Perth in the GF it could still be tough for cats. United has done well against Perth this season.

Reply #792025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^hahahahahahahahahaha if they get in....

Reply #792026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is LV posting anonymously ? Lol.

Reply #792028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*updates 'Perth's shaky start' thread to 'Melbourne's shitty season'*

Reply #792030 | Report this post

Charon72  
Years ago

$50,000 on Perth at $6.05 against Adelaide

Too good to refuse. Thanks to the nbl.com.au bookmaker.

Reply #792031 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"playoffs but I think Perth's experience should see them prevail."

Hoping this, Cairns lack of playoff experience to derail them. I have a feeling Oliver will choke in the series and him and Plumlee will negate each other which bodes better for the Wildcats from an offensive perspective. Machado and Newbill will ball, but I don't think the 2 of them can do it alone with Cotton, White, Kay and Steindl attacking from all angles.

Reply #792033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$50,000 on Perth at $6.05 against Adelaide??

Why would Perth be paying $6?

Reply #792034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone please break down for me how Melbourne can still make playoffs?

Reply #792035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne beating in the regular season means nothing . Didn't united win the regular season last season with arguably a better team and got walloped in the playoffs? LV needs to calm his horses down

Reply #792036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne need to win their last 2 games by a combined margin within 3 or 4 points of whatever margin NZ beats SEM by.
If I was a betting man, I'd go with the Breakers in 4th!

Reply #792039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Can someone please break down for me how Melbourne can still make playoffs?"

Firstly, they need to play two home games in the same weekend, a luxury no other team has been afforded for the last four years. Then they need to play two easier teams, but as the schedule was done well before Cairns have defied all expectations, Cairns are no longer the easy-beat they need them to be.

It really leaves no other choice but to let Aylen and Co do what needs to be done, so expect to see Goulding's flopping at all time highs this weekend, and Trimble to break records for free throws attempted. If that isn't getting the job done, it will be all up to Vickerman to reach deep into his playbook to work out how he can kick a chair onto the court, have a Cairns player complain and get tech fouled for insubordination.

Reply #792044 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

A swing and a miss

Reply #792045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne's team this year costs a lot more than last years and on paper were preseason favourites. They can do it if they get there act together.

Reply #792047 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Cairns are playing some really good basketball at the moment.

I would not be surprised if they win the series.

The Wildcats' shooting has been inconsistent of late, Plumlee not 100% ingrained into the lineup yet.

White is out of form and will be coming up against DJ Newbill.

This puts a lot of weight on Cotton and Kay.

Per are still favourites but Cairns are no easy beats.

All the best to both for a cracking series.

Reply #792048 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

SYD-NZB and CNS-PER would be my preferred series. NZB an interesting dynamic compared to the fourth-placed also-rans who have scraped in in recent seasons.

Reply #792054 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

brings an interesting dynamic*

Reply #792055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"the fourth-placed also-rans "

Sydney finished second last season, but ended up being an also-ran.

Reply #792057 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Regular season results
Round 03: PER 76 - CNS 96
Round 08: CNS 91 - PER 84
Round 11: CNS 84 - PER 88

Reply #792058 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Perth have a history of lifting in finals, both as a team and individually.
Assuming everyone stays healthy, I think they can sweep Cairns in two.

Cairns have done exceptionally well, and I would have loved to see them make the GF. But they stuffed up.
With two winnable gams in the final round, they were in the box seat to engineer a final against Sydney.

I suspect they sipped some of the Koolaid and began to think they were a chance of finishing 2nd.
Or maybe they listened to some of the ignorant fools here who spent the whole season writing Perth off.

You can slag off Gleeson all you like, and make fun of his moobs and bald-spot, but he's the best coach in the NBL.
And listen to your own commentators "The Road to the NBL Championship runs through Perth."

This has been a great season, and the beauty of the finish is that there are still 4 teams that could quite feasibly win the the ring. But the one team you don't want to face is a fit and competitive Perth.

Like I said, the are 4 teams I would not write off. And if I was a gambling man, I would have had a flutter on NZ when they are offering $51 yesterday.
But, if forced to make a single prediction (or a bet at equal odds) Perth would have to be favourites.

Reply #792059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne need to win their last 2 games by a combined margin within 3 or 4 points of whatever margin NZ beats SEM by.
If I was a betting man, I'd go with the Breakers in 4th!

Thanks mate!!

Reply #792061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cairns have done exceptionally well, and I would have loved to see them make the GF. But they stuffed up.
With two winnable gams in the final round, they were in the box seat to engineer a final against Sydney.

I suspect they sipped some of the Koolaid and began to think they were a chance of finishing 2nd.
Or maybe they listened to some of the ignorant fools here who spent the whole season writing Perth off."

What? How did they stuff up?

Reply #792062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best case scenario for entertainment value is a Taipans-Breakers grand final series
Let's go Cairns!

Reply #792063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney finish third last season, went out in straight sets.

Reply #792064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My bad, I thought they finished second.

Reply #792065 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Dazz is on more than koolaid by the looks!
Taipans in 2.

Reply #792078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans win the series. They're cooking.

Reply #792082 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

I don't see perth loosing at home to cairns again, still haven't seen Plumlee play against Oliver.

Will playoffs effect how they play? Time will tell and I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Hopefully we get Plumlee type from the start of the season instead of a quarter. Perth really played the season with 2 imports.

Reply #792087 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

still haven't seen Plumlee play against Oliver.

Oliver would be too fast for Plumlee.

Plumlee would be a better match up for Jawai, both of them play 10 mins a game.

Reply #792089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth v Sydney GF

Reply #792097 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Terrico just isn't interested in home and away, come the finals he boots into Beast Mode and there aint no stopping him.

Reply #792103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's clearly injured right now.

Reply #792104 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Cairns to win it all and I'm a Sydney fan

Reply #792115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cairns have done exceptionally well, and I would have loved to see them make the GF. But they stuffed up.

Or maybe they listened to some of the ignorant fools here who spent the whole season writing Perth off"

yeah, the team that's 9-1 in their last 10, with an average winning margin of 9 points drank their own cool-aid and stuffed up.

Just for completeness, Perth are 6-4 over the same stretch.

Reply #792153 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

An interesting match up. Cairns has not seen this Perth team, and Perth threw away a good early lead in the loss on the road to Cairns. Plumlee is very agile, I can see him keeping with Oliver on the Perimeter. Perth's offence is still not humming, plumlee is clearly still learning his spots, that should be improved come playoffs. I expect to see a better balance of treating plumlee like hunt and trying to force feed him (NZ game), how will Oliver stop Plumlee rolling to the rim? Or will he leave cotton open for the three?

Perth always throw out new counters in the post season. What Perth needs is a healthy Terrico.

Reply #792195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Terrico injured or are cats fans just making weak excuses. He looked fine on the weekend. He started and threw that dunk down at the start of the game. He is just playing like crap. Get in early with the excuses.

Reply #792206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Is Terrico injured or are cats fans just making weak excuses."

He has no elevation in his jumpshot, and due to a knock he took halfway during the game he had his leg strapped up in the second half. he was subbed out of the game with 7 minutes left and probably wouldn't have come back on if it weren't for Steindl fouling out.

Reply #792210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG! Dazz, you forget what a bunch of pills frequent this forum - so let me spell it out: Dazz is suggesting that Cairns must have thought they had a shot at 2nd and therefore wanted the

Reply #792223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG! Dazz, you forget what a bunch of pills frequent this forum - so let me spell it out: Dazz is suggesting that Cairns must have thought they had a shot at 2nd and therefore wanted the Perth series, but they would have been better off aiming for 4th. I don't know if I agree completely but a ->Perth ->Cairns ->Perth series is going to be tough and even if they prevail will leave them tired for the GF

Reply #792225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easy solution. Just sweep Perth and rest up for the granny.

Reply #792231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG! Dazz, you forget what a bunch of pills frequent this forum - so let me spell it out: Dazz is suggesting that Cairns must have thought they had a shot at 2nd and therefore wanted the Perth series, but they would have been better off aiming for 4th. I don't know if I agree completely but a ->Perth ->Cairns ->Perth series is going to be tough and even if they prevail will leave them tired for the GF

That doesn't even make sense. The Taipans, a team coming off a 6-win spoon season, are going to chuck a game, and slip back in to the 4th place lottery, just to try and engineer a semi spot against a side they lost twice to, in order to avoid a team they beat twice? And in doing so risk missing the finals altogether? Riiiight

We Taipans fans will take what we can get, because quite frankly this whole season has come as a surprise. And we'll enjoy it before the money clubs come raiding. Although you would think Melbourne would learn the lesson of taking guards from Cairns eventually.

Reply #792244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Terrico injured? Any chance to have a go at cats fans. Missed a game a few weeks back, leg was strapped second half. It couldn't be any clearer he is not 100%.

Reply #792276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha, you forget that in thread regarding a Perf game, its impossible to have a rational discussion. LOL. I want Cairns to win the lot, but its an uphill challenge. Perf don't lose too many series where they have HCA.

Reply #792467 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

Dates released:

Perth v Taipans 28 February

Taipans v Perth 1 March

Perth v Taipans 5 March

Reply #792882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth WILL beat Cairns 2-0.
Too many Cairns bandwagoners this season yes they have had a great season but Sydney, Perf and United will clobber them.

Reply #792885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why a Thursday night? Strange

Reply #792896 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Do you think Cairns can go all the way?
Naturally I want to see Pert win every game, but gees I would love to see Cairns win the big-one.

The SF is going to be tough, but I think Perth have the edge.
i) Cotton and White are both training hard, so apparently no injury worries.
ii) Cotton and Kay have hit their straps at the right end of the season.
iii) Cats now have Plumlee, who is better on his worst day than Hunt.
iv) Cats and Gleeson have more finals experience that anyone.
v) HCA, whilst not insurmountable, still favours Perth

Reply #794385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Taipans sweep would be great

Reply #794386 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Why a Thursday night? Strange"

Yeah, it's weird. When do they start the GF??
I would have assumed it would start that following weekend, but that would be a bit unfair if one team had to play on the Thursday and the other didn't.

It seems they have tried to lessen the impact of travel on the lower teams, but I don't think that is fair. Sydney and Perth have earnt their HCA, no need for the league to try and cushion the impact.

Reply #794388 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reducing the travel impact on Cairns? They fly here to play a well-rested Perth in Perth on a Friday night, then both teams head to Cairns to play on a Sunday afternoon, before a nice break before game 3 in Perth on the Thursday if needed.
Perth couldn't have asked for a nicer draw IMO.

In the other series there is zero travel impact on any series between Melbourne & Sydney regardless of scheduling.

Reply #794391 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

This is going to be the more enjoyable series I think.

Cairns match up well to Perth.

Newbill can be used to slow either Cotton or White down if one of them fires up.

Space Cam will be hard to stop but then so will be Kay.

The only concern is Cairns' reliance on really 7 players, but they are young (except Nate) so less likely to tire but 40 mins chasing Cotton, White, Norton, Steindl is tough as well as being harassed by Martin.

Reply #794396 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Travel generally impacts the team without HCA the most. I still recall the last Perth v NZ GF series. By game three both teams were knackered, but NZ were basically zombies.

Cairns will have almost two weeks to prepare for game 1 in Perth.
Then both have to travel to Cairns for game 2.
Then a 4 day break to game 3.
Obviously this lowers the impact of travel, which lessens their disadvantage.

Reply #794424 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Travel generally impacts the team without HCA the most.
Depends how it's scheduled. Playing game one in week one and then the remaining two Friday-Sunday of week two, for example, gives he away team a significant travel advantage going into game three.

Reply #794456 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:49 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754