kb
Years ago

POWER TO THE PICK-UP!!!

as some of you obviously know by now, i'm attempting to organize pick-up basketball on sunday nights at 6-8pm from the 6th of november 2005 to the 26th of february 2006 at wayville sports center. (breathe) the response from players and coaches alike have been promising to say the least. previously i stated that all participating players had to pay a fee of $5. mind you, this was simply to cover the court costs and depending upon the turnout, the fee may well have ended up being cheaper. however, as of last night's game at the dome, i was FLABBERGASTED to learn that our boys and girls have to pay to play!!! well if that doensn't burn my cookies!!! i've heard of players getting paid to play, but paying to play??? (clearing throat)THEREFORE, I HEREBY ANNOUNCE, COMING TO A STADIUM NEAR YOU..............FREE BASKETBALL. that's right ballers.......FREE BASKETBALL. you have my word, that as of last night, i'm going to bust my jibblets to find a sponsor(s) that will come to our unified aid as we begin our plight to fight for our "JAMES NAISMITH'S RIGHT" to play "FREE BASKETBALL"......and if i can't, DON'T FRET, i'll pay for it out of my own wife's pocketbook. i'm OUT!!!!!

Topic #4691 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

You'll get every hack in the state rocking up now KB!

Reply #54188 | Report this post

kb  
Years ago

yea MW, maybe you're right. LISTEN UP!......remember dudes, former nbl, current/former aba and some nbl/aba caliber players ONLY!!! spectators welcome. at the moment i can't cater to everyone, but keep pick-up ball alive in your hood!

Reply #54191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hate to tell you kb but basketball stadiums don't grow on trees

rates/taxes/powerbills have to come from somewhere

heaven forbid even refs have to get paid for the constant abuse

and in the abl they get to pay for free BUT BUT BUT

Every other type of basketball in this state pays for their right to play for free

don't expect tears here

Reply #54194 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Find a few sponsors and you should be fine

Reply #54195 | Report this post

java  
Years ago

Hey Anon,

KB is not asking for your tears - this is not about you! I think what he is doing is great and yes where he grew up playing ball was different / kids playing street ball is great for development.

Obviously if you want to play in a competition in a venue and have referees here in Australia you have to pay, but in the US and alot of other countries the councils own the venues and run free competitions and activities like basketball.

So the point of your post KB is great hope you get a sponsor and all the guys and gals enjoy playing your style of ball!!!TT!!

Reply #54206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps this could be the direction we have been waiting for as far as SA Basketball goes!

Dont fret KB this is Australia, so the tall poppy syndrome will always be evident, but make it happen anyways.

Its simply awesome to see a guy that has a god damn personality, get behind a project like this and run with it!!! All the luck to you KB, I know that I will be coming out.....too watch that is!

Reply #54210 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

hate to tell you kb but basketball stadiums don't grow on trees

rates/taxes/powerbills have to come from somewhere

heaven forbid even refs have to get paid for the constant abuse
Pick-up games with modified rules and no referees wipes out your final point. As for the others, the guy is looking for sponsorship to cover what I assume would be court hire fees.

Here's my vote, and I've already bounced this off a couple of people. Call it "Summer Games" and make it a Sunday night thing as KB has planned -- spectators come along in their flip-flops for a drink. Promote it a bit with some posters around the place and reminders on the forum. Do something a touch different in basketball. Open the bar at the venue and put on some food (pizza, curries, something easy to source or make).

I know I'd rather go and watch some high-quality but relaxed games and have a drink with friends than see what's on the TV on a Sunday night.

Reply #54217 | Report this post

H Bob  
Years ago

KB, why not ask BASA to sponsor the night by donating the court usage for free.

Reply #54220 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

All this talk of a new comp being organised and potentially bankrolled by a celebrity is reminding me of Snoop's mini football league. KB, do you plan on rolling up to Wayville with your team in a pimped-out bus?

Reply #54222 | Report this post

switchboard  
Years ago

I think we are very lucky to have KB stay and play in Adelaide.

If someone is willing to put in the time, effort (and possibly funds) to get something like this up and running I can't believe there are any negative comments at all. Which makes me quite sad.

Goodluck to you KB!

PS. If you think you will need any help behind the scenes - just get my email off Isaac.

Reply #54232 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Great to see KB bust his hump to help out SA Basketball, the bloke doesn't have to do any of this?? anon 54194...little wankers like you should find another sport to follow

Reply #54233 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Kriss, that may be taking it too far. #54194 is not saying anything other than that we do pay to play here in Oz. It is unfortunate but true.

If KB wants to try to get some good games off the ground that is commendable and worth trying. I think some high quality games with a high entertainment factor could attract a few hundred spectators too. Charge $3 entry for spectators, and the players can play for free. Get popular enough and hell, the players could get paid (well maybe prize money for the best team on the day).

I would go see some good fun high intensity ball with some an interesting format for $3. Especially if there a bar open.

Keep the ideas about making bball vibrant in SA coming KB!

Reply #54236 | Report this post

kb  
Years ago

thanks fellows for your support. and hey, let's not be too harsh on (anon 54194), he/she's simply stating their opinion. actually, i'm a bit surprised more anons haven't posted with a similar argument. be advised that i'm fully aware of the business side of basketball in this and every other country, including my own. NEVERTHELESS, ALLOW ME TO RETORT......and i think it's important that i clear this up........i'm not striving to undermine basketball in south australia. funny enough, a line from spike lee's movie "malcom x", may help this situation....."get your hands out of my pocket". well you see dudes, i don't have my hands in your pocket, nor do i need to or aspire to put them there. (SO WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU KB?) well lets' see, how about this....."i simply want to give back to the game that's given me so much". to help give players an opportunity to improve their games. this is australia, not america right, however basketball is an ever-growing part of the australian culture and pick-up basketball , i believe, can play a positive role in the future development of australian basketball. THAT'S IT!!! if one of the venues in south austalia offers a single night a week or twice a month of "FREE PICK-UP BASKETBALL"......and it becomes contagious, wouldn't that be just LOVELY???

Reply #54246 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Topps defense rating: 5.2
Enterprising & positive spirit: 8.6

How are sponsors going to say no to this kind of dancing defense?

Reply #54249 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Go on - icon it up Isaac !! you know you want to ! That rating is good .

re KB's pic:

The KB "who's your daddy ?" stance has a nice ring to it

or KB "crazy eyes" - usually performed at Elysium on on sat night !!

Reply #54252 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Hell Yeah!...
been waiting for something like this since the outdoor courts got demolished at Darling Harbour (Sydney) back when i could jump....

Reply #54254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only an 8.6 Isaac??

What's cost him 1.4???????
:-)

Reply #54258 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Don't know if local councils would do it but what about using the courts in some of the community centres? Even the Kilburn Community centre has a basketball court.

Reply #54273 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

KB, i'm not fully up with the scheduled Academy games before sixers matches, but what would the chances be of a couple of these pick up games being the pregame show with a select number of teams with all the skillz and have the 2 winners play off at halftime for some kind of sponsored trophy. Maybe it could be a regular event/fixture at some sixers games combined with the academy games.

Reply #54282 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good idea. Which Sixers fan wouldn't be interested in seeing if KB still had the goods at half-time in a 5 minute game? Get Sap and Pudds in there too.

Reply #54283 | Report this post

kb  
Years ago

what it is ballers...........shot callers, 20 inch blades on the impalla? sorry dudes, flashback, i meant you no harm. ANYWAY,the support & ideas you guys are coming up with are both amazing & inspiring. however, i think it's important that we stay true to the "SPIRIT of the PICKUP GAME". obviously, i don't want the players to have to pay, but also, i wouldn't feel comfortable charging the spectators. they should be able to check out the action without having to "come out the pocket"! besides, last night at the masters games i was approached by a gentleman from forestville who asked if i wanted the bar open for "SUNDAY NIGHT BASKETBALL". "that would be great", i said. so there's a good chance that both the canteen and bar will be open for the games. not charging spectators could equal more refreshments........which means that wayville, if they do well with their canteen and bar, might decide to throw in the courts for FREE!!!!! KEEP HOPE ALIVE.......i'm out!

Reply #54348 | Report this post

RV  
Years ago

KB now we goin back brutha.... hit the higway makin money on fridays but there's got to be a beta way a beta way beta way yeahhhhhhhhh...

lookin forward to checkin out Sunday nite...

see ya on gouger street sometime...

Reply #54360 | Report this post

kb  
Years ago

say blaze & i.f., you guys might be on to something. i would have to speak with the "powers that be", but it might be a great way to promote these "pick-up games", before they actually begin. i'll holla............

Reply #54462 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:24 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754