robt
Years ago

Hey Queenslanders, Let's Have Some NB1 North News.

R.I.P. BenDoes!

With the recent and sudden demise of BenDoes, and with the intro of NBL1 North, I want to encourage more Qld basketball on hoops.com.au.

I know it's origins are in SA but as it's already far more inclusive, why are we Queenslanders not crashing these threads now? Come on Queenslanders!

As for my team, SCU RipCity, we have added Chris Cedar (ex Mackay Meteors) to partner returnees Isaih Tueta in the back-court and Louis Iltman and Josh Tueta as 3 and 4 men.

Still searching for a 3 guard and a centre (probably restricted / import). Couple of un-confirmed candidates ATM, still to be decided / confirmed.

Nathan Arousi still our coach and have heard that he is also taking charge of the Uni team to enter that new national uni's comp. Congrats Nate.

More than anything else, basketball related, I personally want to see that Sunshine Coast enters just 1 team to the NBL1 North and to both retain separate teams for the QSBL (ex QBL) and lower divs right through to juniors. In fact, the Phoenix still have separate teams at junior levels for Maroochydore, Noosa and Caloundra.

This new NBL 1 is going to become tougher when we progress to full national comp and I just don't believe that there is enough financial support to afford 2 great teams in the Sunny Coast. With the south boasting un-restricted NBL recruitment and budgets of (supposedly) in 6 figures, we have little chance of attracting players of that standard.

We will do ok in that comp, but that should never be one's aim, should it? In the ex QBL, it was easier to convince myself that we might have a chance at the ultimate prize. Even though some QBL teams seemed stacked, the parity was closer. Now, some of our (Qld) teams are already gearing up and I fear that both Rip and Phoenix will become bottom dwellers.

Have to admit that what does appeal to me with the 2-team scenario is having the cross-region rivalry. Those games are special but really, it's 2 ordinarily good sides going at it. Think that I would rather have 1 extra-ordinarily good team at this national level. I could still get my jollies off in the QSBL when Rip v Phoenix.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the business of RipCity or Phoenix. These views are entirely my own and doubt that either club would support my views in this.

How about your Qld new and views.

Topic #47012 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jurlina has moved from Cairns to Hobart, no Cairns announcements yet.

Reply #798111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why start a new thread? Just continue on this one:

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/46726-nbl1-north-signings-men-2020/

Reply #798113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rocky and Caps the two standouts for me this year in the mens, Mackay & Toowoomba will be towards the bottom. Townsville in the Women look strong!

Lot of movement this year Wilcher down South, Blanchfield to Rocky.

Hopefully some of the forum members move across, some really good insights and discussion was had on BenDoes sad to see it go!

Reply #798123 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Question: Do players that have passports from the Oceania region count as Imports? Say a team might be looking to recruit someone like Earnest Ross or so, would he be classified as a restricted player then?

Reply #798158 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

"Why start a new thread? Just continue on this one:

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/46726-nbl1-north-signings-men-2020/".

Yeah, you're right. I had forgotten that thread as it was a while since last post. Guess i just want to have more news from Qld. Happy to continue with that thread.

Maybe a new thread each month, as Central and WA are doing.

Reply #798189 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Had wondered where Jurlina would land, he dropped off the radar after Krslovic, Fisher and Blagjovic got the tap for the Taipans.

Reply #798505 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:04 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754