Anonymous
Years ago

We need members' money: Eddie McGuire

Been a bit of discussion on the news about a heated conversation between Eddie McGuire and Channel 9's Tony Jones yesterday. Jones repeatedly pressed McGuire about whether members would receive refunds given there were no games being played.

He said they would look to help those in hardship but called on those who didn't need the money to not ask for refunds.

I'm not too sure about this, I think the players should take a pay-cut if there are no games being played. You shouldn't get revenue if you are not providing a product or service. Is that fair, or does club membership mean more to people than just going to games?

Topic #47116 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers are trying to sell membership at the moment. NBL today said they don't know when the season would start

Reply #802298 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

They should wait till it's clear if the season will continue or not and then provide a prorated refund depending on a number of games. This would include even closed games.

Saw the report and Eddie came out as Eddie - an arrogant tool - trashing Tony's objective question if members had to choose between feeding their families and support the clubs. Eddie simply accused him of sensationalism and called him a seeker of a front page news, or something like it down these lines. Thought he sounded very selfish. They should share the hardship, downgrade as much as possible putting members and supporters first understanding there will be several tough years ahead and start building from the ground up. The supporters would come back eager to support their clubs more than ever. Seems like some of these people live in alternate reality (scratching my head)

Reply #802299 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

There should be a uniform policy. Either Collingwood refund all members or don't.

What is this crap about only ask for a refund if you are a Aussie True Blue Struggler.

Reply #802301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why wouldn't you take a refund when the players are trying to take as much pay as possible. You are pretty much donating to the pockets of players to sit around at home and workout.

Reply #802302 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Meanwhile the headline in the real world which Eddie doesn't live in...

We need money for food: Collingwood members

This crisis will expose those at the top who are so far removed from reality. The professional sports industry being a prime example.

In the UK the EPL has been rightfully criticised as its clubs continue to pay player salaries in full which are in the millions while concurrently standing down and asking the government to fund the wages of their stood down non-playing club staff.

Reply #802306 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

In the UK the EPL has been rightfully criticised as its clubs continue to pay player salaries in full which are in the millions while concurrently asking the government to fund the wages of their stood down non-playing club staff.*

Reply #802307 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The average wage in the AFL is $362K, so with a 50% pay cut it's still around $180k.
I would suggest 90% of the members, if not more would be well under that, and many now out of work.
How dare any executive of an AFL club try to justify keeping fans money. The good news is that Gil has dropped his 1.8 mill salary by 50% during these tough times.

This shows the greed of the rich.

i just don't get all of the talk of doom and gloom around sport. When this is over, sport will be what gets us all up and running again. It will be all over TV, sponsors will be bending over backwards for exposure.

Keeping the money is theft really, how can you call paying rich players wages a donation?

Reply #802312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the top 10 players in each team take half the salary cap the average drops away quickly, like most things the afl does it's smokes and mirrors. The bottom guys don’t earn a lot but it’s their choice.

Reply #802330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Therefore the salary cuts for AFL players should be tiered. The highest paid take 50% with perhaps the lowest not taking a cut at all. People in between 25% perhaps or such like.

Reply #802335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the minimum AFL rookie wage is 89k a year, thats not bad at all.

Reply #802340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My mates on first year 85k

Reply #802341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I felt sorry for the Wildcats losing money on game 2 with no crowds. So I bought some merchandise to support them. I think accross all codes, if you still have funds and job then support the teams with purchases or not asking for refunds.

Reply #802354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To earn $85g he must've been first or high second round draft pick.

Reply #802363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or come from another sport.....

Reply #802371 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:38 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754