Anonymous
Years ago

Cotton may opt out of contract: Sportando

Sportando has reported that MVP Bryce Cotton is considering opting out of the final year of his contract with Perth and becoming a free agent.

Would he go to another team in the NBL?

Topic #47161 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

opt out of 50% pay cut
re-sign one year at double salary 50% cut
salary back to where it was meant to be for his last year of contract

OR

opt out
sign longer deal as an Australian.

Reply #803494 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Would he go to another team in the NBL?
No, because he can't. That's not how the opt-out works.

Reply #803495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No, because he can't. That's not how the opt-out works."

Oh ok, so he'd be opting out to re-negotiate a longer term deal? Sorry, I haven't followed too closely, but the Sportando tweet caught my eye when I read the words "free agent".

Reply #803497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't mind koberulz. He has to be the smartest in the room. Unfortunately to do so, he has zero tact and comes across arrogant and patronising.

Cotton would be so pissed, considering he is at his peak and these are his money making years. He finds a great situation and boom 50% is taken away within 3 months. Unlike others, once this is all cleared and people return to proper work, cotton like many pros may be older and not able to make the same impact in their job.

Reply #803499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Don't mind koberulz. He has to be the smartest in the room. Unfortunately to do so, he has zero tact and comes across arrogant and patronising."

That's fine, my question was geniune though, I wasn't trying to be a smarty pants. What is the most likely purpose for opting out (if he chooses to do so). It would either be to re-negotiate with Perth or head overseas to play?

Reply #803501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are all free agents if contracts get cut, the can go anywhere to play except another Australian side I believe. I warned about this that quality players are not playing for nothing or half there value. The naysayers are saying that Europe will be shit, Asia will be shit, they will have no money but clubs are recruiting over the world already. The G league will pay more and the nbl will be the bush league, it's a shame. I’ve heard through a friend that’s mate is in the industry already getting calls from clubs about some of the best players from the nbl about there talent and how they play in team situations.

Reply #803506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Citation needed.

Reply #803529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"once this is all cleared and people return to proper work, cotton like many pros may be older"

I'm not a doctor but I'm pretty sure Cotton will be older when all this has cleared.

Reply #803530 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Citation needed.

Here:
Players will be able to opt out of their contract for the 2020-21 season for two weeks from the signing of the agreement with their NBL rights to be held by their respective clubs

Reply #803534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I visualise Koberulz as a short skinny nerd in my head .

Reply #803535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

* citation needed.

Reply #803536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We could see

Ware / Bruce / Madden
Cotton / Vasljevic
Import / Newley
Cooks / Moller
Mathiang / Kickert / Hunter

No Bogut, Tate or louzada

Reply #803539 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I visualise Koberulz as a short skinny nerd in my head .

I can confirm the part about him being in your head

Reply #803543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahahaha

Reply #803544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuc sounds like you know the fella.

Reply #803545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton isn't leaving Perth to join Sydney.

Reply #803546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I picture koberulz as a thirty year old still living with his parents.

Reply #803548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are you thinking so much about him? That's pretty creepy.

Reply #803550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's all good guys - KR has been saying for weeks that no other leagues will be going ahead, so no one will be leaving. And since he knows all, Bryce isn’t leaving because there will be nowhere to go.

Dickhead.

Reply #803562 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

This event could be a all mighty reset for all teams.

Reply #803563 | Report this post

Dodgy  
Years ago

I'm picking him as late 30s / early 40s who over achieved by making division 2 wabl teams back in the day, who now spends his work days around the water cooler telling clueless workmates how he was so close to making it as a professional player if not for his pet dog dying and parents getting divorced all in the same year. Tell me I'm not spot on there KR

Reply #803564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

koberulz loves an indent quote

Reply #803565 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Ah, we're back to "he quotes people, what an asshole". It's been a while.

Reply #803566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's ok Koberulz I think you're cool.
Way better than Perthworld and D2.0.

Reply #803567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No we're back to, he’s talking shit again and pretending like he knows everything. He’s an asshole!

Reply #803568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what does this exactly mean KR? "Players will be able to opt out of their contract for the 2020-21 season for two weeks" For 2 weeks? I don't get it. Please explain.

Reply #803569 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There's a two week period during which they can opt out.

Yes, it's phrased horribly in the press release.

Reply #803570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The phrasing is atrocious.
I appreciate your efforts in clarification kober.

Reply #803571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do his nbl playing rights remain with the wildcats if he signs offshore then returns to AUS later in the 20 21 season?

Reply #803581 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yes.
Given the pay-cuts, players are being given the opportunity to shop their services elsewhere.

Cotton would be so pissed

Why would he be pissed?
He's safe n sound in Perth, with his family. He has a good gig, which would still make him one of the highest paid players in the NBL, and he still has the opportunity to go elsewhere for more money if he can.
He's coming off league MVP, a championship, and finals MVP. So if there is money on offer elsewhere, he's in the best position to take advantage of that.
And I would imagine, if he's opting out, Perth are probably being reasonable, letting him take that opportunity and probably holding his place for a while.

No point arguing about what may happen, just have to wait and see how the different leagues recover.

Reply #803586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The person/people who are bagging KR for no reason are incredibly insecure.

Reply #803594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bigger money on offer in EU so out of the NBL

Reply #803596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth have a history of doing this within the rules. Damien Martin and Redhage were often free agents but forgot to tell the league and any other team , which in turn allowed them to re-negotiate their deal.

Reply #803613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not like they would have signed at any other clubs anyway.

Reply #803623 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"He's safe n sound in Perth, with his family. He has a good gig, which would still make him one of the highest paid players in the NBL"

Sure but lets just say he was on $400k. Now he is on $200k. The Aus dollar to US would make that $100k. Other leagues can offer him more money with a better exchange rate.

Reply #803624 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

No one can be aggrieved if he leaves. This and his next contract will be his prime money making periods.

His situation id like tenants and landlords dilemma here now.

Right now tenants can tell landlords to halve the rent or they don't pay at all, and LLs cannot evict them.

Cotton's situation is like giving LLs a two week window to evict tenants before the Moratorium kicks in.

Reply #803636 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The problem Cotton has is his pending citizenship.

Reply #803638 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I see...I am not familiar with the citizenship application rules.

Does this mean he HAS to reside in Australia during this time or a portion of time?

He is a pro sportsman, could he say I am going to Europe to work for 6 months and come back at a later date?

Reply #803640 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't know. But if it doesn't come through who knows when he'll be allowed back in.

I've heard he has to stay here or it'll be canned, but I'm not sure how reliable that is.

Reply #803641 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Settle down boys. Cotton is not going anywhere. His partner is from Perth, he loves Perth. He is still on good coin, and his citizenship is worth alot more than basketball.

Believe you me, he makes the most of his talent but he isn't going to risk the health and safety of his partner and his dsughter.

He is not going anywhere.

To answer your question about citizenship, he has to live in Australia for the previous two years prior to gaining citizenship. That's just to be eligible.

Then he has to sit the citizenship test which has questions such as Which NBL team was too scared to travel once 1-2 down in the 2019/2020 NBL grand final ?

There you have it boys. Bryce will see out his contract.

Trev

Reply #803643 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Settle down boys. Cotton is not going anywhere. His partner is from Perth, he loves Perth. He is still on good coin, and his citizenship is worth alot more than basketball.

The above is likely true.

But we are talking about a significant amount of money. I must be one of the few people on the forum that doesn't know what Cotton is making, let's say its ranging from $400k to $600k, thats still $200k to $300k he is missing out on. That can change people's prespectives.

Him being here elevates the league and although he has burnt the 36ers a few times, I'd rather he stay.

But I wouldn't look at it negatively (against his character) if he were to go elsewhere.

Reply #803648 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

To answer your question about citizenship, he has to live in Australia for the previous two years prior to gaining citizenship. That's just to be eligible.
The paperwork was filed months ago, the question is whether he has to stay here while he waits for approval.

Reply #803652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton wants to play at the Olympics, is it worth more to him than the discounted wage he's going to get. $600g in Australia for six months is fair coin, $300 not so good when he could get in his hand $200g US minimum for nine months. In nutshell $300g minus tax in AUS to 320g AUS in his hand plus accommodation and car and most of his food. A player of Cotton quality that $200g US is a minimum, he could probably get more if one of the bigger franchises wanted him.

Reply #803654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ware to opt out too apparently

Reply #803656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe that to be eligible for Aussie citizenship, you need to have been a lawful resident for at least the last 4 years, including at least 12 months on a permanent visa (so not a student or work visa, for example).
There are other fine print rules (for example, you have to have been in the country for more than 9 of the last 12 months, so go easy on overseas holidays and work trips) but basically at that point you can apply and it is very easy but slow. At some point you get invited to an interview and the test, then you are accepted into citizenship... but have to wait (usually for quite a while) to be invited to a citizenship ceremony held by your local council. Only then are you an Aussie citizen.
Did mine years ago - it took 9 months between my application and the ceremony. I'd guess it’s increased since.
1 of the conditions when applying is intent to live in Australia. Not sure what happens if you leave. Maybe he’d be allowed to fly back for a ceremony or have the ceremony rushed, arguing it was his intent when applying, and he intends to come back anyway. Dunno, I’m not an immigration lawyer.

Reply #803658 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

After applying for citizenship it takes roughly a year for the paperwork to be processed which is the stage Cotton is reportedly in now.

During this time you can go overseas as the necessary residency period was already met prior to application.

Reply #803659 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

You can fly back for the ceremony as one of the questions on the application specifically asks if you are going to be overseas for scheduling purposes.

Reply #803660 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The borders are currently closed though.

Reply #803661 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

They sure are.

Reply #803662 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Right now tenants can tell landlords to halve the rent or they don't pay at all, and LLs cannot evict them.“

Not so, yet. No State has yet made the necessary changes to their residential tenancies legislation or regulations, to effect this policy.

Reply #803670 | Report this post

todd  
Years ago

You will see Cotton in a few ads over in WA. Guest player with SBL team paying $200k.

Reply #803774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sure but lets just say he was on $400k. Now he is on $200k. The Aus dollar to US would make that $100k. Other leagues can offer him more money with a better exchange rate."

Perth can also offer him more than that once he opts out.

Reply #803777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very smart Todd, you've beaten the system already.

Reply #803778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth can also offer him more than that once he opts out."

He can't renogiate his current deal with Perth if he opts out.

Reply #803779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It also goes against your salary ceiling, so 200g goes to 400g in your salary cap and that's why it hasn’t been reduced. Cotton is on a lot more than 400g by the way. Kay will have to be the next one going I’d think, he can get lot more in the euro.

Reply #803783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Europe wont be open though.

Reply #803790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton just announced he is opting out

Reply #804363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's all good though guys - KR has assured us that there is no where to go, so players won’t opt out.....

Reply #804365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah nothing much has changed in the last 2 months so probably nothing much will change in the next 4 months either

Reply #804366 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:26 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754