Anonymous
Years ago

Bogut to make retirement call next month

The 35-year-old Bogut, who was the 2005 No. 1 draft pick by the Milwaukee Bucks and won an NBA championship with the Golden State Warriors in 2015, was planning to retire after playing for Australia at the Tokyo Games in three months. Those Games have been delayed until July 2021.

But Bogut, who has played for Sydney in the National Basketball League the past two seasons, isn't sure he can take the training and discipline needed to go another year.

"I'm not doing much, I can tell you that,'' Bogut told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's "Offsiders" program, which aired Sunday. "To be able to kiss your kids goodnight and put them down every night ... I've appreciated doing that.''

"I haven't done any basketball since the season ended, and it feels good waking up, getting out of bed and not feeling like I'm walking on glass,'' Bogut said. "It's [my career] all been thrown into a washing machine, essentially ... but there's a decision to be made probably by mid-May.''

"We've been tantalizingly close, and the squad we're going to have is arguably going to be the best squad in the history of the Boomers, on paper at least,'' Bogut told the ABC program. "To be part of that, selfishly, is something I really want to do, but the body is what it comes down to.

"I can get up for a basketball game any day of the week, but it's hard to get up for five, six days of training a week and lifting weights.''

Topic #47162 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everything he has said makes it seem like 90% certain he will go around again.
If the Olympics was this off season no doubt he would have retired.

Reply #803634 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Please Sydney over pay for Bogut again.

Reply #803637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did he squish up his nose when he made those quotes?

Reply #803644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's no surprise that people are more concerned about Cotton being lost to the NBL than Bogut.

Reply #803649 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Bogut had a rough season last year. But I think when you see it in perspective, he came off of a full NBL season,NBA PLayoffs, and then the World Cup, then was launched into another season with little rest. He did dominate Plumlee in the Finals series. I think he still has something to offer the game.

As for the Boomers, I can't think of any better options we have a back up Centre than Bogut, provided he's healthy. He may need to be nursed through til the end but I think he deserves one last shot at a medal.

Reply #803653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big dog will be back

Reply #803657 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Retire you big dork!

Reply #803680 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

He could slip straight into an Assistant role.

.....in Adelaide?

Reply #803708 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:11 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754