koberulz
Years ago

Matt Hodgson Opts Out

Per the Bullets Twitter.

Topic #47192 | Report this topic

TB  
Years ago

Geeze, I thought Cotton leaving was a big story...this news is going to blow it out of the water.

Reply #804575 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LOL

Reply #804576 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Cooks from Sydney too.

Reply #804578 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

To me, Hodgson opting out is a bigger story than Cotton opting out. Cotton can get a ton of money elsewhere, at least in theory. The same isn't true of Hodgson, so if guys like him are opting out it looks like we're going to see a large number of opt-outs rather than just the elite tier.

Reply #804580 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Hodgson opted out because he is sought after by the Wildcats.

Wildcats centres will be Angus Brandt and Matt Hodgson.

Reply #804585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except that's not permitted under the rules.

Reply #804586 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Not permitted but Brisbane will let him go for more money.

Reply #804587 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"To me, Hodgson opting out is a bigger story"

^This

If a guy on the level of Hodgson is opting out, this is going to set the NBL back at least 2-3 years. The decision to cut wages was done way too soon.

Reply #804588 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why do people think total bankruptcy and folding the league is somehow a better outcome than whatever ends up on the floor this season?

If guys of Hodgson's level opt out en masse, I absolutely 100% guarantee that the majority of opt-outs will play in the NBL next season. There just won't be enough leagues, import spots, and money to go around.

Reply #804595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see him getting an attractive contract in Europe unless he has a European passport (and even then not a sure thing)

Reply #804597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big risk for him.....not the wisest of moves.

Reply #804598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could they be putting pressure on the clubs to get there money and bring in low paying players around them so they still keep under the cap.

Reply #804615 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Years ago

Hodgson opted out of getting a brain when they were handing those out. Absolute dope.

Reply #804621 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Trying to manage their value. Some times managers get it wrong too in a game of chess. Going to suck for him if the team that may take him change their mind. How long did he have on his contract? Brandt and Hodgson would both be aiming for contracts as number one big, but one of them would end up as backup.

Reply #804622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandt did very good in Italy, if they get a league going and he's happy how it all went, he’s not coming back for peanuts in the nbl.

Reply #804624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably some desperate team in outer Mongolia offering a few dollars more. Or goats.

Reply #804626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is 3 players opting out that big of a deal

Reply #804632 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Cooks yes. Cotton yes. Hogdson.... Not so much

Reply #804634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who will be next?

Can players who opt out only return to their club in the NBL?

Why would the NBL cut salaries well ahead of free agency commencing? ( over 2 months)

Anyone else think NBL 20/21 Will be a shitshow?

Reply #804637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it will be great if NBL 20/21 is any sort of show we can attend!

Reply #804638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Long has signed in Korea now.

Reply #804639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they don't allow crowds then they shouldn't bother with tv coverage.

Reply #804641 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I guess he thinks he's going to end up losing minutes to Magnay?

The Sixers could do worse than invite him back under their new coach. He still has his fouling and positioning issues, but has improved in Brisbane and is one of the few NBL big men who can really change shots around the basket.

Could still become a difference maker if invested in for a couple more years and getting a decent import big in the current Covid19 climate could be difficult.

Reply #804659 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I guess he thinks he's going to end up losing minutes to Magnay?

The Sixers could do worse than invite him back under their new coach.
Does nobody read anything anymore?

Opting out does not allow him to play for another NBL club. This has been mentioned ad nauseam ever since the deal was announced.

Reply #804663 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Is it possible for a player to opt out and the team decline to let him opt back in?

Akin to a mutual termination of contract type thing, Bullets want to give more time to Magnay and focus Hodgsons money elsewhere, Hodgson wants more time so moves on to a different club.

Straight up this is an odd opt out though. Cotton and Kay and aware would make sense, take the risk but get paid at some euro club. Hodgson I don't see making euro bucks especially without a euro passport.

Would love to be a fly on the wall of the convo between him and his agent

Reply #804667 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

36ers could definitely use him as a replacement for Froling and to be honest I'd rather have Hodgson than him anyway.

Reply #804668 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

That's what I'm wondering KET. I just can't see Hodgson getting a gig overseas, or being offered a bigger contract by Brisbane, so why would he opt out? If Brisbane has told him they will retain his NBL rights under the opt out rule, then I guess another possibility is he just isn't willing to play for what Brisbane is offering and would rather go do a regular job instead this year?

I'm hoping they'll somehow let him come back to the Sixers! Unlikely I know, but it was disappointing that Joey wasn't able to keep Hodgson onside and develop him. We have failed to retain so many young Aussies since losing the Grand Final three seasons back it is ridiculous! DJ and Teys are literally the only guys remaining from that team unless Drmic resigns!

Reply #804671 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"36ers could definitely use him as a replacement for Froling and to be honest I'd rather have Hodgson than him anyway."

Diff skill sets so tough call. It would depend on the team I was trying to build. But I've always wanted a guy who could be a defensive presence next DJ and Hodgson probably fits that better than Froling, who doesn't really have the length to challenge shots around the basket.

Reply #804672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As previously stated by someone else, Hodgson and Cooks have the same agent and it's been put into the media, there are others who have made the same decision but so far been kept in house.

I think a lot of players will be disappointed, because they won’t find other teams but are just trying the market. Cotton and his quality will have no problems but a few others not a chance.

Reply #804673 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Anon,

Hodgson would not be opting out of guaranteed money with the Bullets on an assumption. He would have a deal lined up likely with another NBL team.

Cooks with his pedigree and play last season can set his own price.

Reply #804674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks averaged less than 6 points a game, could not defend the three spot, Kay had his and Tate measure in the GF as well, did well on rebounds and has had a season in Europe but I don't see him as a certainty by any length. His exit tweet clearly left the door open for a return.

Where is Creek in all this, his good salary will be halved as well, nba border line and play in Europe as well, he’d be a big chance. Some sides might lose there best and second best players.

Most clubs would take Creek ahead Cooks.

Reply #804675 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

that team unless Drmic resigns!

Supposedly has an agreement in place with Brisbane but can't sign until free agency begins.

Reply #804676 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Have heard a similar rumour Zodiac. Disappointing if true.

Reply #804677 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He would have a deal lined up likely with another NBL team.
Oh for fuck's sake.

Opt-outs can't sign with another NBL club.

Reply #804678 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The team they were contracted to has their rights for the season unless of course they choose to waive them.

Reply #804679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I just can't see Hodgson getting a gig overseas"

There is always demand for 7-footers. If he has a Euro passport he'll be snapped up quickly.

Reply #804680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"unless of course they choose to waive them."

Then he isn't opting out.

Reply #804681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz, can he sign at another NBL team? Haha

Reply #804682 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

He would have a deal lined up likely with another NBL team.

Oh for fuck's sake.

Funny, that's exactly what I was going to write. Strange times.

It would seem that for some at least, opting out is a tactic, presumably pushed by their agent, to keep options open.
Hard to see what the advantages are, without knowing all the details.

That said, does Hodgson have a Euro passport?
I don't know what He'd be getting paid, but these pay cuts appear to be draconian. Supposedly a player getting $160 takes a 42.5% cut. If that's applied to the whole salary it takes it down to around $92k. If that's how it works, you can understand why a lot of guys will be looking at their options.

I think it comes back to the level of uncertainty. There COULD be better opportunities o/s, but then again there might not be

One thing I'll admit I'm a little unclear on, is re-contracting with the existing club.
And what happens if a player opts out, his club signs a replacement, and he then wants to return to the NBL?
ie Could this be a tactic to force clubs into waiving?

Reply #804689 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

One point Liam Santamaria raised yesterday is that if they opt back in, their pay will be pro-rated, and some contracts start their payment cycle this month. So guys on those deals who opt out now are guaranteed to lose money on their NBL contracts.

Reply #804690 | Report this post

AgentView  
Years ago

I think this whole situation is a farce is riddled with legal challenges.

To make a unilateral change to a contract then only to throw on a restriction of trade clause should you wish to play with someone else in the League. I actually don't think that would stand if challenged in the future should a player have detriment. In fact I don’t think players should bother opting out rather just breach their contracts en masse as a pack at a time that suits them. Good luck to the NBL .

Reply #804694 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yes, the death of the only pro league in the country is a vastly better option.

Reply #804695 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd love to see Matt Hodgson make the NBA, I think he'd do really well, he'd be what 4th string centre so let's say he got 5 minutes for example, he wouldn't have to worry about foul trouble as he does/did with Brisbane and he's far too dumb to stay out of foul trouble here but he doesn't come across as someone that would be daunted by the bright lights and I think he'd have some good moments in limited opportunities.

Reply #804699 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Haha like Luke Schenscher

Most major countries in Australia have pushed their employees to accept contract variations for the next three months or so.

Wonder how the contracts work in the NBL, given their work product for the most part is September til end of March.

Reply #804701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on him...why play for free?

The league will suffer for a long time becuase of this, the league with by NBL1+ next year

Reply #804708 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think this whole situation is a farce is riddled with legal challenges.
Didn't it come about with the support of representatives of each team's players?

Olgun's story at the time:
Key NBL players began the process of voting for a series of measures on Thursday that would see a tiered approach to salary cuts for the 2020-21 season, multiple sources told ESPN.

The COVID-19 pandemic created an unstable and untenable financial environment for the league and its teams, leading to both parties coming together with the Australian Basketball Players' Association to negotiate cost-cutting measures.

Each teams' delegates voted on Thursday, sources said, with 15 of the 18 representatives voting in the affirmative, meaning the new measures are expected to go ahead. Contracted players were informed of the agreement after the vote.
You'd hope each representative at least ran it past their contracted players?

Reply #804716 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah, I don't see this becoming litigious

Reply #804717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Each player will have there own thoughts and opportunities elsewhere to explore if they wish.

Also some might not want to play for the new salary as it might not be enough money to put the body out there for another NBL season.

Reply #804718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@agentview

I believe he's 100% correct, it’s unfair on contracted players. If a player under contract is offered the same money he’s on at present elsewhere but the club he’s with makes him take a pay cut, he’s going to opt out. It’s a total restriction of trade, uncompetitive and won’t stand up in court. If the league wants to change the cap and who knows what the cap is or how it all works now, all players should be free agents.

This has got a long way to go and as good as the league has been run under LK there are lots questions and what seems like secrecy around this.

Reply #804720 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If the league wants to change the cap and who knows what the cap is or how it all works now, all players should be free agents.

As any player with a contract can opt out of it every player can become a free agent hence no restraint of trade.

Reply #804724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's a total restriction of trade, uncompetitive and won’t stand up in court."

How many restraint of trade cases have you tried in the courts?

Reply #804728 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's a total restriction of trade, uncompetitive and won’t stand up in court.

Which fraud website gave you your law degree?

Reply #804731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a restraint of trade as you can opt out to play elsewhere but not in Australia. Why should a contracted player take a reduction and a free agent can negotiate a new salary at his terms. That my friend is a restraint of trade.

Reply #804733 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

there are lots questions and what seems like secrecy around this.
For fans, or for players/clubs/agents/association who put together the adjustment in light of the pandemic?

Reply #804749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No "new" free agent is going to be able to negotiate anything substantially different to what the players just agreed to. The reason the pay cut was agreed to is the teams don't have that money to spend. You can’t offer what you don’t have.

Reply #804752 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

^ true

Reply #804755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" It's a restraint of trade as you can opt out to play elsewhere but not in Australia. "

Yes you can play in Australia, with the team you were originally contracted to. You can opt out because the entire league imposed a salary reduction. If you want to look elsewhere, you can. If you don't, then you have a job already.

Reply #804759 | Report this post

AgentView  
Years ago

Restricting a player to only play with one club in Australia is a restraint of trade clause. It is unfair because it removes their ability to have a competitive tender for their services whereby players of a similar skill and value who are off contract for next season will be better off than those under contract who have also been gouged up to 50% of their salary. Contracted players inherently are in a position of damage should the season start in OCT as in this case there has been no changes to the underlying circumstances relating to the fulfilment or their portion of consideration under contract.

If you were in any other occupation and were told that your pay would be reduced by 50% only to also be told you are unable to work for any other employer in your field in Australia, such an attempt would be unlawful and overthrown without much thought by the court system. The only way that this could have been done legally is to terminate all player contracts, reduce the salary cap and make a 1 year hard cap determined at a date closer to the season (once sponsorship is reviewed, and a more realistic review of crowd potential), and allow for an open and transparent free agency period to occur for all players from that date. I just can not contemplate any rationale for this approach.

Reply #804836 | Report this post

AgentView  
Years ago

Furthermore it doesn't matter what committee, union or other representative group agrees to, they can not make an unlawful agreement under Australian competition nor employment law. That little get together the NBL is using to justify this won’t hold much stick.

Reply #804840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agentsview.

Exactly, anyone after one year in a law degree knows this. This could get ugly. Players have short careers.

Reply #804842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're making the mistake of thinking that players out of contract won't be subject to the same salary reductions across the board.

Reply #804844 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Correct. Free agents will have their salaries cut by the same percentage as those under contract.

Reply #804846 | Report this post

AgentView  
Years ago

They won't be because they are in a much better bargaining position. Good players off contract don’t have to compete against players with a restriction of trade to one club and therefore can have a bidding war against clubs without as much competition in the market. Thus they will get more money.

Reply #804847 | Report this post

AgentView  
Years ago

Also the fact that each club hires the players separately the fact that they agreed to do this together could amount to cartel conduct.

Reply #804852 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Restricting a player to only play with one club in Australia is a restraint of trade clause.“

In NBL, not in Australia.

And it's not restraint of trade. And you don’t understand ACL.

Everyone thinks they’re a lawyer

Reply #804854 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Good players off contract don't have to compete against players with a restriction of trade to one club and therefore can have a bidding war against clubs without as much competition in the market.
Those players were under contract, so they weren't going to be competing in the market anyway.

Reply #804856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET

Maybe you should go back and look at some previous sporting results re restriction of trade, the afl get away with it and have made so easy for players to move clubs now because they all stuck together. The nrl players take court action and win, very hard to hold on to players when contracts are changed. The nbl has admitted this in away by even giving you an opt out date but it won't stand up if you challenge it.

As Agentsview said good free agents this year have an unfair advantage.

Reply #804857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those players under contract have had there wages cut.

Reply #804859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They won't be because they are in a much better bargaining position"

Then every off season is a restraint of trade.

Reply #804861 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Haha people love to say what they think the law is as if their opinion is authoritative.

Half an hour of googling doesn't help, it’s like thinking you can do surgery from a quick wiki read up.

Total nonsense in this threat!

Reply #804862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Objection KET! You're out of order!

Reply #804866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, not every season do players under contract get wages cut.

Reply #804869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might be blindingly obvious, but why not wait till season is closer, have a better idea of scenario, then start sorting out the pay cuts. AFL and rugby have done it as the season has started. I know there are options for overseas, but why not let players just say they can tear up contracts now.

Reply #804873 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No, not every season do players under contract get wages cut.
So? Everyone is having their wages cut. What's the difference?

Reply #804887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If your boss cuts your salary under contract you can tell him to shove it or appeal to the real ent authority, I find it unbelievable that people think you can just cut wages. Players might agree to it but they have options just like you would if you got cut.

Reply #804895 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

How good is the Belarusian league?

Reply #804947 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #806073 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:47 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754