Anonymous
Years ago

Moldovan blasts Players' Association

Daniel Moldovan, whose Lighthouse Sports Management handles a host of NBL talent, is furious that the players' association agreed to tiered salary reductions as high as 50 percent about seven months before next season is expected to begin and well before the impact of COVID-19 on the league can be known.

Moldovan said he had never seen a worse deal agreed to by a players’ association in any sport anywhere in the world.

He also claimed the ABPA had used "scare tactics and absurd threats of players being stood down and clubs folding" to pressure the players into taking the deal.

“We went through 99.9 percent of the NBL season unscathed,” Moldovan told Basketball Forever.

“Besides the NBL finals, there was no lost revenue due to COVID-19, so why are we predicting doom and gloom six months before the scheduled start of next season?

“Why are we in a rush to negotiate a new deal with drastic pay cuts for players at the height of a pandemic?

“Australia has done one of the most remarkable jobs in the entire world with regards to this virus, so the country should also be one of the quickest to resume some semblance of normal life and thus enable the economy to gather steam again.

“With this in mind, why couldn’t negotiations take place in June or July?

“The job of the players’ association is to represent the desires and wishes of the playing group in negotiations with the league. They have done the players a huge disservice with how they handled this.”

Moldovan added that players were told that one of the primary reasons a deal was needed by April was to ensure that no players went without pay, given the new season was scheduled to tick over on May 1.

But this was followed by the news that free agency had been pushed back to July 1, a decision which has left almost half of the league’s players without income until they can sign new deals in two months’ time.

“There is not a single player or agent that would not gladly and willingly take a pay cut to ensure the long-term health and viability of this great basketball league,” he said.

“All we asked was for the ABPA to wait and return to the negotiating table a couple of months later when we had a clearer picture of what life and the Australian economy would look like.

“At the end of the day, as long as the current administration of the ABPA is in place, I fear that the players will never get what they truly deserve because they don’t have a skilled team of people fighting for their best interests.”

Full story:

https://basketballforever.com/2020/05/08/agent-says-players-association-failed-nbl-athletes-with-historically-bad-deal

Topic #47213 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must be important if it can directly from Moldovan and not his bff oluc.

Reply #805291 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

133 unscathed games out of 136 is 97.8% not 99.9%

Reply #805292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee not blatant advertising for the shit basketball forever rubbish

Reply #805293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moldovan is 100% right, it's a bullshit agreement and they will lose more money by droves of fans staying away. The players make the game not management. As a basketball supporter the HF replay has lost its attraction just with the loss of Cotton.

Reply #805296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If due to COVID-19 they cannot have fans in the stands how do you want most clubs to pay? If Cairns are only allowed crowds of 1500 people due to social distancing laws how do you expect them to funds last years salaries?

Reply #805297 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Players Association represents the best interests of all the players this agent only represents his clients and of course himself sounds a bit shitty that he too will be effectively taking a 50% pay cut.

Unlike this agent the PA has to look at the big picture and that is ensuring teams don't fold because then all contracts become null and void and those players won't get paid at all.

Basically the only team in the league that turns a profit is Perth all the other teams lose money for their owners and the only reason the teams don't fold is because those owners make their money in other businesses.

Those businesses have been severely impacted by the coronavirus so if NBL spends continued as normal it wouldn't take much for 2-3 maybe even 4 owners to pull out hand back their NBL licences like one owner has already done this offseason and the league would be in serious trouble.

That is why all the players have been asked to take 40-50% pay cuts this season to try and stop half the NBL teams from folding until things start to return to normal in 2021.

Agents should be seen but not heard and this guy rocks the boat enough using Olgun as his mouthpiece and is now attacking the Players Association who are charged with a bit more responsibility than him. Parasites like him should be grateful he's still got players with salaries to leech off of.

Reply #805299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you know all teams lose money, I can assure you Smith didn't buy the kings to lose money. Melbourne also have done well. It’s all a ploy to keep everyone under the thumb of the league.

Reply #805302 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Basically the only team in the league that turns a profit is Perth

Not really.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/basketball/nbl-riding-wave-of-popularity-but-financial-gains-are-slow-to-follow/news-story/0c50fd4d805b86442a870b3b3a9947c6

But when asked if team owner Jack Bendat, a member of The List - Australia's Richest 250, makes a profit, Georgiu says: "We get pretty close to break even if we can host one or two grand final games. We’re pretty close otherwise and we have some terrific support from our sponsors and our fans."

In other words, the Wildcats have to make the playoffs — and they have for 34 consecutive years — to prevent Bendat digging deep into his pockets to make up a shortfall.

So they HAVE to play 2 GF Home games to be 'pretty close to' break even?

'Pretty close to' by an executive means fall short of.

Reply #805303 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I am on the fence on this one.

Half of me recognises that the roster building starts now not in 7 months so some certainty by the league and the teams is required.

You can't have no change , go as is, then in 6 months half the teams can't afford full pay or go into VA.

The other half thinks waiting a little longer could have been more prudent, right now we are mostly likely going to provide an inferior on court product to last year.

Reply #805305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"and they will lose more money by droves of fans staying away"

Please show your working out.

"So they HAVE to play 2 GF Home games to be 'pretty close to' break even?"

Do you really think its in Bendat's best interest to be telling certain people that he is running a profitable team?

Reply #805307 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not really.

They usually make a small profit I think last season or the one before that they made $1 million profit but that was an exceptional result.

Reply #805308 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Considering the ABPA's Board, leadership, delegates and staff are 95% made up of current and former players, this guy is obviously all about self interest. Because he will get a percentage of his players' wages, it means a 50% pay cut for the players is a 50% pay cut for him. Get over it dickwad.

Reply #805309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moldovan, if there's one thing he loves more than Trump, it's money.

Reply #805310 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

right now we are mostly likely going to provide an inferior on court product to last year.

Not necessarily. Okay let us assume the five players that opted out Cotton, Ware, Kay, Cooks & Hodgson don't come back to the league. They are all quite replaceable. There will be a stack of top talent players that won't want anything to do with playing in Italy, Spain, Russia or China this season.

The NBL would never normally be on the radar of these players but it probably will be this season even with the reduced salaries. Everyone is taking a haircut financially this season so it will be safer to play in a less-infectious warm english speaking country like Australia a paid holiday perhaps for a season until things return to normal in 21/22.

Reply #805311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Wildcats are most definitely profitable each season.

Reply #805312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An article from the Australian, it's like believing in Santa, and a the owner admitting they made money,lol. I worked for 30 years for one company and they were going broke every year but always had enough money 300k cars boats etc.

The players are the entertainment and got screwed.

Reply #805318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like you got screwed too. You worked at one place for 30 years??

Reply #805319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree that they jumped the gun so far out from the season. Once we are closer to the season and for example the only restriction is that their has to be a seat between fans or family groups, can their be another negotiation to increase wages again? Revenue from sponsorship may drop but it looks like they already factored that in. Teams like Perth will lose out there because they have packed stadiums but it would be business as normal in terms of numbers for teams like Hawks.
And will imports view Australia as a viable place to place with paycut the sacrifice for playing in maybe safest and best international competition.
I think next stars will be particularly be looking here. NBA is splashing the cash with G League, but I'm sure parents might have a say in their kid leaving the hell hole in America and being safe here as well as getting a wage. Also shoe money would be in US dollars. And parents/families I'm sure will apply to come here. And how will colleges even handle the situation, pressure will be on NCAA to play but who knows where America will be in 4 months time.

Reply #805321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At this very moment most basketball players in the world would hope they lived in Australia perhaps excluding the SRV.

Reply #805325 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Once we are closer to the season and for example the only restriction is that their has to be a seat between fans or family groups, can their be another negotiation to increase wages again?
Yes. This was always going to be reviewed in three months, they said as much in the initial announcement. Better to cut now and raise then than to do nothing now and have to cut just before the season.

Reply #805334 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Lots of assumptions being made by Moldovan and also by a few people here.

Lots of unknowns with this virus. And lots of unknowns around the economic impact, both here and in Europe.

I'm not feeling bullish that Australia will go back to anything approaching "normal" by NBL time, at least not with huge public gatherings.

And the elephant in the room is this. Has the virus changed the way we think? As in, even when things go back to "normal" and pro sports resumes scheduling as before, will there be a lingering effect? Will there be a permanent drop in crowds resulting from fear about the virus? I'm not sure either way but it seems a possibility.

Reply #805360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Cotton have a ,"NBL out clause" in any European contract? Seriously.

Reply #805370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV

I think I can answer that a bit. In South Australia, yes everyone has reverted to norm. Our shopping centers are packed. A bit different in Victoria where people are still getting pulled over for going for a drive.

If other states get it under control like SA has there won't be much change to behaviour. Economic effects however are the great unknown right now.

Reply #805373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I did find it odd that this deal was struck quite quickly. I understand it perhaps had to be finalised before free agency but then why was free agency pushed back after this was announced?

Was this agreement solely because of the Corona situation or did it have something to do with Illawarra falling over and the Tassie team not coming through like they thought plus a few other teams (Adel SEM & Bris) losing money?

I think there would be a few players who would be upset about the deal and having no other real option. And lets not forget, the Players Assoc should be thinking about the players interest first and foremost and the struggling teams being looked after by the league! It seems the Players Assoc had a finger in both pies here

Reply #805377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Player association seemed a bit of joke to not have consulted with players or clubs in the discussion. Seemed like they rubber stamped the whole thing. Thats not an association I would want representing me.

If it had been handled properly the players themselves would have been part of the process , informed, asked for feedback etc. Instead it came as a bit of surprise for clubs, players, fans.

What a joke.

Reply #805384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The government relaased a 3 stage plan and the last stage was allowing gatherings of up to 100 people. I don't think we'll be seeing full crowds this season, so revenues are going to take a big hit.

Reply #805386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if allowing 100 people or even 1000 to mix makes any difference, there is an interstate travel ban in place, teams can't travel.
McGowan stated that he won't relax the ban for footy, doubt he will do it for basketball.
The option is to create a hub in a state where games could be played, but that would mean that most teams will miss out on revenues, but would carry the costs.
Some probably would suggest an "equalization" scheme where all revenue is pooled and divided, however, that won't help the Wildcats, they would lose out on the revenue for 12,000 paying fans plus memberships, so that won't happen.

Reply #805387 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Player association seemed a bit of joke to not have consulted with players or clubs in the discussion
Why would they consult with the clubs? It's not the Clubs' Association.

And players were consulted.

Reply #805388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The players were involved but lacked the presence of negotiation skills and got screwed over by the league owners. Each club had two representatives who went back to their own players with reporting and I think there were phone hook ups. The final vote in favour of the pay cuts was 15 to 3. That's a conclusive win for the owners, at guess probably both Perth reps voted against and one other. Again I’m not certain who the players association had with them in meetings, if anyone, I’d of thought they should’ve had a minimum of legal representation but I don’t know. Imo the whole think wasn’t thought out that well and a percentage cut through all players evenly would have been fair for all players if it was required. An example of this is the Italian league did not finish so all players lost 20% of their salary, which seems a lot fairer. You earn 50g you end up with 40g, 500g you end up with 400g, you would think this was a lot fairer to all.

Imo in a nut shell Moldovan was right and the league scared the players into draconian cuts. Ask yourself would Cotton excepted a cut of between 10% to 20% and stayed or copped 50% and bolted.

Reply #805390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cool English dude

Reply #805391 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That's a conclusive win for the owners, at guess probably both Perth reps voted against and one other
Three of the 18 players in the room were Moldovan's clients. Funny coincidence.

a percentage cut through all players evenly would have been fair for all players if it was required.
In what universe is it fair for the Bryce Cotton types to earn hundreds of thousands of dollars while most bench players are forced to pay the club in order to get a roster spot?

Reply #805393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not as clear as saying the NBLPA suggested a lower salary therefore didn't have the player's best interests in mind. They're obviously thinking about clubs who are already struggling, or borderline, in which case seeing a club or two go under means up to 20 players get zero.

Reply #805394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Comparing the Italian League's closure to the NBL is pointless.
They suspended the season on the 9th of March and they abandoned it on the 8th of April, they lost a total of 7 weeks because the season was supposed to end on the 26th anyway.
It's a bit of a difference in losing a third of the season or the whole season, i'd say that's why there was only a 20% cut, nothing to do with fairness.

Reply #805395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not a social under 10 league where you share the time. Fuck me Cotton earns hundreds of thousands because he a champion, what you suggesting that the 10/11 man should not have there wages cut but Cotton has to cop a 50% cut. We might as well go back to communism in the USSR and share the money. Good luck with getting any decent players staying or playing in Australia. Just an example a player on 100g package is now on 70g, 10g more than the 10/11 man on 60g who’s had no reduction to his wage. Now that’s fair, lol.

The Italian league was getting to the pointy end of the season where crowds and support get better, the money end of the season.

While personally believe the league has been great under the owners this decision reeks of do what you’re told take what you get. Moldovan is on the money, the players are the reason crowds go watch, the better quality players the more the crowds the more the money. This is retrograde to the league.

If the league owners have been chucking lots of money or small amounts or none, who knows, this should not to be the time to cut massively as it takes time to get the product to where it was and the support back, of you are losing money lose a bit more, if you’re braking even invest a bit. Simple business practices.

Reply #805398 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's not a social under 10 league where you share the time.
We're not talking about time, we're talking about the ability to pay rent and buy food.

If you drop from 600k to 300k - for one year, by the way, not permanently - it'd be pretty difficult to notice unless you're terrible with money. Dropping from 60k to 30k means you're probably going to become homeless.

of you are losing money lose a bit more, if you're braking even invest a bit. Simple business practices.
How much are they saving on this? Cotton was on 600k, Kay 400k, Bogut a million. So there's a million in savings off three players. Ware was on more than Cotton, but we don't know how much, so let's say 600k there again anyway. 1.3 million and we haven't gone past the top two players in the top two teams yet.

There would be tens of millions in cuts, this isn't chump change.

the better quality players the more the crowds the more the money.
There's a small flaw in this logic.

Reply #805400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who earns 60K on an NBL team?

"while most bench players are forced to pay the club in order to get a roster spot?" Citation needed.

Reply #805402 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Comparing apples and oranges - from memory BAT recommendation was 20% cut if the competition resumes, if not then 35%. And this is for the CURRENT season, not in the future. Barcelona imposed 70% cut for its senior team, Mirotic who is on 12mil accepted it. It is obvious that only agents rant about it, Moldovan is not alone and he is playing a blame game here. NBL players were paid 100% for this season. At the moment similar cuts to NBL's are being discussed in Europe, so we will see if it'll be better, similar or worse.
I'd like to see players get more money so you can bring greater talent, however this is a simple business decision for next season. It has nothing to do with fairness, it's a matter of survival. Yes we will lose some players, but we should support the league in these difficult times.
Just wondering if the league folded because it went broke, whom we would blame then?

Reply #805404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Number 10 and 11 earn 60 grand. It's not all on big money.

Reply #805405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The cuts should have been equal across the board, not 50% for the top earners and nil for the bottom.

Reply #805408 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Ah, the LALALALALAICANTHEARYOUA argument.

Reply #805409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz works for the nbl.
You talk so much crap and don't read very well. I said an even percentage across the board, you took 50% from 60g, where as now the lose nothing. 20% off the top earners and all even down the list. If you can’t live off the wage get a real job. Clubs that employ Bogut, Cotton, Ware work for clubs that can afford to pay them.

Reply #805410 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I said an even percentage across the board, you took 50% from 60g, where as now the lose nothing.
I also took 50% from 600k, which is an even percentage across the board. But I'm the one who can't read?

Without even a ballpark idea of how many players fall into which tier this speculation is pointless, but I really don't see how it's fairer to knock some people below minimum wage so others can still earn hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.

That said I think you'd need to be above 20% if it was a flat number across the board. Assuming Cotton is on 600k and Kay is on 400k, that's 300k in money they're now getting that they weren't before. I can't find a list of the tiers but even 80k is getting a 27.5% pay cut, so across a whole team a 20% pay cut is going to cost the club over half a million. A couple of guys on 60k dropping a further 12k into the pot isn't going to make a dent in that, but it will make a dent in their ability to pay bills.

So say you make it 35%, which means you're having a greater number of tiers pay more in an effort to make up for the money you're losing at the top end. Now your 60k guys are taking home less than 40k for the year, while the top end is still making over 250k. That's absurd.

If you can't live off the wage get a real job.
Right, because the economy is booming right now and jobs are just all over the place waiting for people to fill them.

Reply #805413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

45 of the 50 players under contract voted to remain and accept these cuts. A very small number of players, nearly all at the highest end of the salary scale, opted out. Players themselves recognised that the league is going to be on life support in 20-21 and that there are precious few other options out there, particularly if COVID 19 isn't going away soon (which seems likely). I for one won't be upset if 4 highly paid superstars + Matt hodgson look elsewhere if it means the league survives the next year or 2. If Daniel Moldovan wants to stir up shit because he can't accept a salary cut I couldn't care less, and any enraged "journalists" who are parroting the same nonsense without commenting on the obvious bias in their sources needs to take a good long look at themselves and work out if this is really the job for them.

Reply #805414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players got told take the cut or no league, yeh great options. No one saw any financials to see who was bull shiting. We been told great league, buy a team at 10 million, 2nd best league in the world, go over the salary cap as much as you want, you would think it was in great shape, owned and run by millionaires with money in the bank. Proof is it's still in the shape it was and the players pay. Smoke and mirrors.

Reply #805421 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Prior to Covid19 the NBL clubs combined losses were $15-20 mil, thats with some of the best crowds in NBL history

So you could argue even with no Covid19 that cuts were required to keep the league sustainable.

After Covid19 cuts its pretty obvious that drastic cuts will be required as a result of reduced crowds and sponsorships.

I find it silly to say that it could have waited as these decisions needed to be made prior to free agency period. Free agency needs to begin with no further push backs to allow both players and clubs to map out the next 12 months or so.

What would players and agents say if they didnt make cuts, then half way through the season the clubs said we need to cut your salaries or even had to close their doors, so leaving it later like the agent suggests is not really an option.

This is clearly an agent who is only interested in himself and his earnings and not the broader NBL, and too small minded to realize that without these cuts their is no NBL and no NBL salary for these players or commission for him to earn from them.

Whilst it sucks to lose guys kike Cotton from the NBL the cuts needed to be done, as without them the losses of already 15-20 mil drastically grow and sooner or later the owners will get sick of that and clubs could fold.

Reply #805426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone supply proof that clubs lost 15 to 20 million. Has the league released any legit information on this, or is this in the make up as you go category.

Twelve months ago we were told clubs were in great shape. I remember reading that even Cairns who spend less than all other clubs but had balanced there books. If it is the big spending clubs getting into debt, let there owners pay, not the players.

Perth and Sydney have already said they were happy to stay as is, so who is losing this money.

Reply #805428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A guy who gets paid as a percentage of players salaries blasts a player salary reduction. What a shock!

Reply #805439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea exactly

Self interest at its finest

The only proof we have of losses is the Australian article with some quotes from owners saying clubs lost 15-20 mil last season

The narrative has always been basically every club loses money

And further proof is the constant ownership changes and struggles and the amount of clubs that have folded or gone very close over the years

In fact I'm yet to see a season where atleast one club wasn't in financial trouble

Reply #805440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who been involved in the league, or followed it closely for a long time knows it loses a heap of money. What that exact figure is, is rather irrelevant. There's a few figures I know over the years but some people don't want to seem to believe them so no point listing them here.

Clubs were probably in the best shape they have ever been due to higher income streams and stable ownership. Doesn't mean they were making a profit.

The NBL was at a point where they have increased revenues, and if they could find a way to strip away some costs with efficiencies they would make the whole thing stable.

Unfortunately Covid-19 has wrecked the income streams and now it's in a fight for survival again.

Reply #805444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, no proof of losses.

It's like all the bosses I worked for never made a profit, total BS of course. It’s how millionaires become billionaires, screw everyone.

The hawks lost half a million last season running last is the story out Illawarra with poor crowds at home, Ball was more popular at away games, so if this is the worst team playing out of a stadium that over charges you for rental, food etc, there imports also being a joke and not attracting supporters etc, the league is no way as bad as we are now suddenly lead to believe.

In the end it’s no skin off my nose but as usual it’s the players that bring people through the door that suffer. Owners, bosses always seem to not take a hit.

Reply #805445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#805445 - mate in theory I agree with you, but this league is the plaything of those type of bosses and people don't get into the NBL to make money.

As a former team owner told me "the worst decision I made in my life was buying a NBL team." He had the license for 3 years.

Any look at the history of NBL ownership shows what the financials of the league are. You don't see many coaches holding onto licenses for a long time.

Reply #805447 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Which owner?

Reply #805450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not able to reveal that. However I can say that they owned during 2000 to 2010. There were multiple parties who had ownership stakes for exactly on 3 years during that time so it provides context without giving away the identity.

Reply #805468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Donald Trump?

Reply #805469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can reveal.
You can remain anonymous.

Reply #805470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David Beckham?

Reply #805472 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#805468 fair enough with the year range, those were some dark days for the NBL commercially. Rick Burton lol. At least it wasn't in the league's heyday or now under LK.

Although a similar comment is entirely possible from the stronger eras with the sheer amount of owners who have come and gone. NBL never change.

Reply #805475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like Mark Cowan.

Reply #805477 | Report this post

Jo  
Years ago

What a narrow minded approach this agent has on the world and goes to show he has lost touch with the real world. He makes two assumptions here 1) that the NBL games played make a profit so therefore all players should continue to be paid in full until the impacts of COvid are realised. 2) that NBL clubs will be able to continue to make revenue in a COvid world and that any sponsor, or fan that they deal with can continue to keep cash flowing through the bank accounts during this time. An NBL club is like any other business that needs to drive revenue through the door 12 months of the year. They do so not just by playing games, but by selling merch, doing golf days, corporate speaking events and clinics for kids - all of which is done in the off season. There is no magic war chest of money in sport that would protect the NBL just because its in its off season. As we have seen in the NRL and AFL, these commercial partners are hurting too and may need to renegotiate the terms of their contracts with the clubs to see themselves through. I am sorry Mr Moldovan you operate in a bubble. Get your head out of the sand and realise this is about survival of the game for the fans - not just the players and your pockets.

Reply #805484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was an old rule that said the salary cap couldn't exceed 30% of the leagues total revenue

Of course a few didn't play by that rule and bought themselves titles and sailed off

Bring that rule back and clubs like Perth who have invested in the front office get rewarded with greater cap space

Reply #805487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jo
I think Moldovan would have more idea of how the league is going than you. I find it amazing that teams can't get out of stadium deals and play in smaller stadium to limit costs but players who are under contract take large reductions.
I want to see basketball on my tv if it can’t be live and quality players earn what they are entitled to.

Reply #805491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#80491 Rent seeking landlords and their management companies are the parasitic leeches of economies. If the recent Covid crisis has not demonstrated that to you, with wage earners, small business owners and everyone taking a haircut while management companies try every standover tactic in the book to ensure they don't lose commission I am not sure what will.

Stadium operators are not that much different from residential real estate operators in their mindset. I can see them holding NBL teams to full rates.

Reply #805492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Play out of local gyms till social distancing is not required, tell the blood sucking stadium owners to shove it till all is clear.

Reply #805495 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

^how about you tell your bank/landlord to forget about your mortgage/rent for a year with no consequence? Some here live in a fairyland. And I don't think that Moldovan has the first hand knowledge of the NBL books, he can make some assumptions but in the end the decision rests with LK, who clearly stated no attendance no NBL.

Reply #805496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go back to a Winter season 2021 start along the start time of NBL1 (April). That allows more time for Illawarra to get their shit together, maybe the Tassie side to get in there as well. Also allows the continuity of the league which is the longest continuous national competition in the country and a selling point. Get a proper full season in with crowds, not a mish/mash of crap which serves no purpose to owners or sponsors. Now is the right time to go back to Winter.
Thank me later LK....

Reply #805497 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You're an idiot.

Reply #805498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Due to the virus all contracts are canceled under force majure

Stadiums couldn't force teams to play , of course when the tide turns and they want to go back to a stadium deal then best of luck

Reply #805499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You're an idiot." This from the person who thinks AFL is covered from a Hub.

Reply #805502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Force majure, this is the term used by the nbl to allow contracted players to take pay cuts. Same applies for all.

Reply #805504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's so idiotic koberulz?
Can we hear your solution??

Reply #805509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not nice to call people idiots .

Reply #805510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What if they are right?

Reply #805513 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

In all honesty, I feel this has been handled badly and confusingly.
It's messy, and doesn't make a lot of sense.

So your salary is cut, according to a confusing rule even some of the players don't understand.
You had 2 weeks to opt out of the contract.
But whether or not you opted out, you can just go ahead and renegotiate a new contract.
A team can apparently STILL spend whatever they like, the only difference is that whatever they pay will be effectively grossed-up for the NBL's tax.
Furthermore, because the changes only apply to next season, clubs are free to renegotiate back-ended longer term contracts.
And if you have a marquee on massive coin, you can simply double it before halving it, and if the rules haven't changed, it will still only count $15ok towards the tax.

And the really crazy part, is that far from equalising the competition, this will have exactly the opposite effect with richer owners free to simply pay more tax.

Reply #806063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who are the rich owners?

Reply #806085 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:55 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754