Tornado
Years ago

36ers Sign Isaac Humphries for 2

Australian centre Isaac Humphries has agreed to sign a two-year deal with the Adelaide 36ers, sources have told ESPN.

Humphries, 22, is coming off his second season in the NBA G-League; his most recent stint coming with the Lakeland Magic after signing an Exhibit 10 deal with its NBA affiliate, the Orlando Magic.

The 7-footer will bolster a 36ers frontcourt that already features All-NBL Second Team forward, Daniel Johnson, on a roster that most recently added rising point guard Josh Giddey as a Next Star, along with a new head coach in Connor Henry.

As is the case with most standard NBL contracts, Humphries' deal contains an NBA-out clause for both years, sources said.

Topic #47308 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If true will DJ play the 4

Reply #808667 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

He'll put up 18 and 10

Reply #808668 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'd say so.

If you go by rumours and chatter I think we would expect the 36ers to look something like the below;

C: Humphries / Salt
PF: DJ / Kyei
SF: Deng Adel or Blanchfield / McVeigh
SG: Import / Teys
PG: Giddey / Dillon / Mudronja

Reply #808669 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

If this is true very good signing for Adelaide.

New era for the 36'ers, time to get over the division?????

Reply #808670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import/Mudronja 1
Dillon 1-2
Giddey/Teys 2
SF/Mcveigh 3
Johnson/Kyei 4
Humphries/Salt 5

Could be import new bill or Aussie, Broekhoff, Adel etc

Reply #808671 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Great for Adelaide. Post Joey era off to a good start.

Reply #808672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty long starting 5

PG?
6'8 SG
6’7 SF
6’11 PF
7,0 C

Reply #808673 | Report this post

Dreams  
Years ago

Good player, never put up numbers at pro level yet tho. Probably took a chunk of the budget...and then like doesn't need centres anymore

Reply #808675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully he keeps improving his game as yet to impress as a Pro so hopefully doesn't become the next kid to not make it once they leave college and turn pro.

Reply #808676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He played limited minutes years ago for Sydney and has had some big games in the g league.

Reply #808677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He also started an NBA game for Atlanta

Reply #808681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guy is only just 22, think people forget that.

Reply #808682 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Good pickup by Adelaide.

Let's just hope his dad doesn't post on here again.

Reply #808683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love true 7 footers in the nbl

Reply #808684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Problem is he's not true 7’ footer, 6’ 11 at best. Won’t be much taller than Johnson or play defence better, though a coach with good defensive systems could get this to work.
JVG had him in Sydney with Gaze.

Reply #808688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

7 foot is 213cm. He is listed as 211cm on google

Reply #808689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

espn has him at 7ft

Reply #808690 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Fair swap for Froling. Good signing

Reply #808691 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The 36ers opted out of the remainder of its deal with Jerome Randle, sources said, with the one-time NBL MVP recovering from a serious knee injury.

NBL Free Agency officially opens on July 1, and the 36ers' plan is to begin the season with just one import, sources said. The team's front office, led by Jeff Van Groningen, plans to use that spot on a point guard.

Mhmmm

Reply #808693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ guarding 4's? What's going to happen when teams go small end of games like when Phoenix put Creek at the 4.

Reply #808697 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Trouble

Reply #808698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

iam guess 36ers r hoping there 20pts a head at that time

Reply #808699 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Nice to see him back in the NBL.
I guess Henry saw him play a few times in the G-League?

DJ has often played alongside another big in the front court, so it's not really an issue.
Given he's an (almost) fringe NBA player, it will be interesting to see how much his game has developed wince his time with the Kings.

Interesting that sources are still saying only one import, when Henry clearly said he was looking for two. By my count, they've still got 4? slots to fill.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but surely people hyping Broekhoff etc is just wishful thinking? If Players of that calibre do come back to the NBL, they will attract a premium, and I'm not sure Adelaide has the cash for that. Especially if looking for a gun PG.

Reply #808700 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't mind this with the coaching change Henry is more traditional half-court than Joey was so it will be nice to see what a genuine low post player does on a Sixers team. Humphries has had some monster games in the G-League so he should dominate in the NBL.

No mention of Kyei in the article as being signed but I assume that is likely an oversight, he would be a valuable back up PF.

The Sixers were never going to pick up Randle's big money option but will be interesting to see if they still intend to sign him as a glorified cheerleader or not in the hope he will be ready later in the season.

The one import thing doesn't feel me with glee but Humphries is a potentially seriously good pick up so you can accept that.

Reply #808701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see this squad is really taking shape. Will Humpty be a starter or come off the bench? - Does his signing mean weve given up hope of signing Motum?

Reply #808705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Henry said he will play kyei as backup pf and sometimes he will guard centres and sfs.

Reply #808706 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I am assuming the 1 import projection is for a number of reasons;

1. Spending more on a quality Point/Combo guard
2. Injury insurance
3. Still a high quality (maybe 2) Aussie signings to come.

JVG does have his shortcomings but he does know how to bring in talent. Let's just hope he is doing it with the coach to ensure team balance unlike he has in the past.

Reply #808708 | Report this post

The Ibek-Way  
Years ago

Most of us never had hope we were signing Motum. Try to keep one foot in reality

Reply #808709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries, salt and Adel potentially worth more than motum

Reply #808710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when I heard that Connor henry was coach the first thing I did was look at passed teams he was with and one of them was Orlando magic and its g league side was Lakeland magic so if there after a point guard there's

Josh magette 6 1 31 point guard 26 nba games with the Hawks and magic

Reply #808712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey to start at point & get a defensive combo who can guard the opposing 1's. Deshon Taylor would be a perfect fit IMO

Reply #808714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey starting at 2, been said by the coach. A shooting pg will be at the 1.

Reply #808715 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Humphries is a huge signing, but he would've been better off going somewhere without a star alongside him like DJ, whose best position in the NBL is 5.

Reply #808716 | Report this post

pls  
Years ago

699 & 712 go to school together?

Reply #808717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries is just as mobile as Johnson, they will just alternate the 4-5.
Kyei can guard 5-3 and salt is elite defender with little offense. One thing they want to DVD,op with salt is offensive game.

Reply #808718 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Did I miss the memo that JVG was running the 36ers now?

Reply #808719 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/46560-van-groningen-joins-36ers-as-general-manager-of-ba/

Reply #808721 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I find it hard how people are hating on this signing.
Huge improvement on last years bigs. With hopefully Salt to come.
As well as being an upgrade in terms of talent both seem to be good humans.
Humphries more a roller than DJ. Let DJ pick and pop.
gives the team options.
hopefully an Aussie starter at the 3 and an import 1/2 to come.
Teys/Dillon/Obi/McVeigh all good bench options. Remember 2 were starters last year.

Reply #808723 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Being a good human is definitely a bonus.
Them going with one import is making more sense now especially if they get someone like Broekhoff as small forward.

Reply #808725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide looking very good if they put that side together. Perth as well.

Reply #808726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They definitely need a shooter at the 1 and 3.

Reply #808727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they get the 1 wrong it's over, has to be elite.

Reply #808728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's with all this talk about Giddey playing the 2? His skill is as a pure pg you want the ball in his hands.

Reply #808731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Henry said already a bunch of times, a veteran pg that can shoot. Both will handle the ball.

Reply #808732 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

C Humphries/???
F DJ/Kyei
F Import/Teys
G McVeigh/Dillon
G Import/Giddey/Mudronja

Is that too small of a side? Get a combo import who can shoot and bring the ball up a bit. Hope McVeigh can shoot well and a good defensive SF with length bit like Creeky/Childress

Reply #808751 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

We're only going with one import this season, KET.

I think it might be something like this:

Humphries/?
DJ/Kyei
Blanchfield/McVeigh
Teys/Dillon
Import/Giddey/Mudronja

Reply #808752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The squad is already set bar starting SF And veteran import pg as stated a million times.

Reply #808753 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Nah still need to sign a back up centre. Giddey is a Next Star doesn't count as a roster spot, three players still to be signed.

Reply #808754 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Salt is likely the back up C

Its looking like

Humphries/Salt
DJ/Kyei
Blanchfield or Adel or Import/McVeigh
Giddey/Teys/Dillon
Import/Dillon/Mudronja

Which looks pretty good to me

Reply #808755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly an upgrade on Frosting

Reply #808756 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

We're only going with one import this season, KET

Conner Henry, the bloke hired to coach, has stated unequivocally that he wants both imports.
So maybe wait and see. Unless Adelaide has a Marquee signing to unveil, they will NEED both.

Giddey to start at point & get a defensive combo who can guard the opposing 1's. Deshon Taylor would be a perfect fit IMO

Everybody at Adelaide, from the Coach to the towel-boy, has stated clearly that signing a gun import PG is their highest priority. But sure, lets just make shit up.

They have 4 spots to fill, although it seems Teys is a lock for one of those. One will be the aforementioned stud PG.
That leaves 2, and they need to use em wisely. As it stands, there's just not enough quality, but at this time of the year that's fine. They're locking in their locals, with a couple of big names still to come. One of those need to be either the 2nd import Henry wants or a Marquee to do the same job.

Henry originally said he wanted a forward, size dependent on team-makeup.
Does that mean with DJ/ Humphries/ Kyei all signed, he'll be looking for a SF?

Reply #808758 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Dazz, what Henry wants is irrelevant read the article.

NBL Free Agency officially opens on July 1, and the 36ers' plan is to begin the season with just one import, sources said. The team's front office, led by Jeff Van Groningen, plans to use that spot on a point guard.

https://www.espn.com.au/nbl/story/_/id/29325139/isaac-humphries-signs-two-year-deal-adelaide-36ers

Reply #808760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey is a pg with the skill set he has can they play him as a sg can he match up against a Cotton or Goulding without damaging is draft stocks. With the talent he has he needs the ball in his hand and play his natural position. If true with the signing of Humphries it's a great signing because it’s a big body to help him to show his skills. 6ers really need a defensive minded sg which is a spot up shooter with him

Reply #808763 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

D2.0 I believe in Henry's interview on the nbl show he said a veteran import back up 1.
Also said a 3 4 or 5 import, just waiting to see.
Since then Humphries is signed and rumours Salt close.
That’s the 4/5 sorted with DJ/Obi.

Now 2 reports, one before and one after that interview that we’ll be having 1 import to start.
Options

Star 2/3 local Broekhoff/Adel and a Veteran 1 import
Star 1/2 Import and a Blanchfield type

Reply #808765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Salt sign? He's looking at to 15 minutes per game with the signing of Humps.

Reply #808780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Salt would get less than that likely. DJ and Humphries will take up all the minutes at C.

Reply #808781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 and 3 have to be shooters, Adel is a slasher. It's an import 3, Broekhoff or blanchfield

Reply #808782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can salt play PF he could get 25 30 mins

Reply #808783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries and salt could possibly play at the same time on occasion. Kyei could play as a 3, that's what his been told to work on.

Reply #808784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Things looking up for the Sixers - also stay tuned for the upcoming Gliddon signing I reckon. Potentially Deng Adel for the 3?

Sixers Roster looking like...

Import**/Giddey/Dillon
Gliddon/Teys
Adel/McVeigh
DJ/Kyei
Humphries/Salt

Reply #808785 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon, Gliddon has already verbally agreed to sign with SEM.

Reply #808792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

someone was sayin kyei was told to work on the SF so can McViegh play the two off the bench

Reply #808793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newbill could be the three to cover for Giddey who needs a lot of work.

Reply #808795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Defensively I mean.

Reply #808797 | Report this post

The Ibek-Way  
Years ago

Perhaps both are right regarding the number of imports signing

"the 36ers' plan is to begin the season with just one import"

Leaves room to interpret as they will begin the season with just one import and plan to bring a second in part way through the season ready for playoffs like they did with Childress (I am told that Deleon was informed at the start of the season he was going to be cut for another import later.) Savin money?

Reply #808799 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

D2.0 I believe in Henry's interview on the nbl show he said a veteran import back up 1.

If he said the phrase "back up" then I must have nodded off through that bit.
Back-up to whom? You've currently got nobody capable of running the point for any serious minutes.

Also said a 3 4 or 5 import, just waiting to see

Yea, as I said, a forward, of size to be determined by local signings.

It's possible JVG still has a marquee in the pipeline, that would negate the need for another import.
It's also possible, giving the current state of the squad and that your coach isn't even in the country, that Adelaide have already written next season off???
It could also be that JVG is pulling his usual shit, in which case 6's fans better book themselves in for therapy.

The Catch-22 with Henry is that either he's a good enough coach to be given what he demands, or he's not and it won't matter anyway.

Reply #808820 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's an interesting question, at each club, WHO is actually recruiting the players?
At the Cats, its Gleeson, no question. He gets who he wants, and one could argue the results speak to that. Players who don't thrive in the Gleeson camp, are shown the door. In recent years, the only player he didn't recruit was JJ, and Gleeson sacked him, twice!

Then we have the JVG model, which seems to revolve around him recruiting players, then appointing a coach he thinks he can control.

I've also assumed it was Lemonass responsible for the misbegotten squad at Brissy, but maybe not??

NZ is an interesting one. Presumably Shamir recruited Henry, but then actually said he "wouldn't have recruited Rice."

I would imagine at SEM it was Gree who built the initial squad?

Reply #808822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D2.0 such a dumbass

Reply #808823 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

NZ is an interesting one. Presumably Shamir recruited Henry, but then actually said he "wouldn't have recruited Rice."
Are you confusing Shamir with Dillon Boucher?

Reply #808824 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Yes he is.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/117236961/not-on-my-watch-former-breakers-gm-dillon-boucher-wouldnt-touch-glen-rice-jr

Reply #808826 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Classic.

Reply #808830 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

D2.0 we have Giddey. I'm sure he can hold his own on the offensive end with humphries/salt/DJ setting picks and working with him.
This combo would be better than sobey/Hodgson.
Obviously there’s another ball handler coming in and a SF who can handle the ball.

The team already is an improvement on last season so calm down.
Import 1/2 and a starting 3 (hopefully Broekhoff or Adel but take Blanchfield).

Reply #808855 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

As much as I don't like Adelaide and bearing in mind they still have gaps on the roster I have to admit Adelaide are looking better already.

Reply #808856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is blanchfield an option? Isnt he signed???

Reply #808857 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Nobody who played for Illawarra last year is signed. They all became free agents when the club was liquidated.

Reply #808869 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems interesting that 36ers owner, Grant Kelly is on the list of contenders for the Crows Chairman.

Reply #808880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A hungry blanchfield would be a great signing. Get him on some angry juice.

Reply #808881 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I do think Adelaide have a long way to recruit to get anywhere near fighting for fourth.

Too many average players between Teys, Dillon, McVeigh, Kyei and a young Giddey.

Need both imports IMO. An import 1 that can really shoot with an import 3/4 or an import 1 and an import 2/3.

Or do we go with an import 2 that can do a bit of ball handling and an import 3, and trust the 1 spot to a majority minutes in Dillon, Giddey, Mudronja?

Reply #808882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need imports similar to Darnell Mee at the 1 and Childress at the 3 and get blanchfield at the 2 backed up by McVeigh.

Reply #808924 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

HaHaHa, 880 same culture apparently

Reply #808992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import/Mudronja 1
Giddey/Dillon 1-2
Teys 2
Import 2-3
Mcveigh 2-3-4
Kyei 3-4
Johnson/Humphries 4-5
Salt 5

Newbill or Broekhoff would be best sf fit.
Henry probably has a vet pg in mind.

Reply #808993 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

No team that has a young player like Giddey starting would make the playoffs let alone win the NBL

Reply #809011 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Confusing? Maybe I am, I thought that Shamir had distanced himself from the recruitment of Rice???
But in part, that's my question, who does all the recruiting at each club?
Is it the coach or the GM, or both??

Reply #809013 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

@Nate, as Cats fan I want to see the 6's strong & competitive, so we can continue the rivalry (but not so strong that you whoop our arses.)

I don't mean to be overly negative or nasty, but I'm puzzled by all the talk of Giddey as a starter. I simply cannot conceptualise any kid being that good, he may not even be 18 when the season starts.
It's all great and well to be enthusiastically optimistic, but I just don't see it happening. Henry wants a gun import as his starting PG, and I think that's what you'll get.

Has there been ANY talk on WHO the import PG may be??

Rest of the squad remains interesting. Any strong rumours on free-agents or Marquees?

Reply #809014 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Salt's an interesting one. Not extremely tall, but good enough to be a backup centre. He'd be a good fit for Adelaide's bench. Can't understand why Brisbane would be interested, but who knows.

Would the 6's be interested in Gliddon (and vice versa)? He'd be handy at many teams, but if you're going to play McV at the 3, would be a good fit for Adelaide.
(and yes, I'm aware of the rumours he's "already signed" with SEM.)
(I know you have Dillon, but surely this will be his last season of NBL?)

Reply #809015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McVeigh is young and has time to improve, but he's not a starter, looked out of his depth in games last season. Gliddion or Newbill would be excellent.

Reply #809018 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

Giddey is 6'7 6’8 and is at least 86 kg’s. That’s the same or taller/heavier than a lot of guards in the NBL.
Always been a focal point as a ball handler/distributor.
Understand it was Mickey Mouse game but youngest boomer since Ben Simmons so clearly people think he’s up to it.
I’m not saying he’s a MVP type but I 100 percent think he’s a starter with the addition of a star import/Aussie or 2.
We got away with Sobey as our primary ball handler for a yr. Giddeys already a better ball handler/distributor than he is. Obviously not as athletic/defence etc.

You don’t go to these camps/games oversees if you’re no good.

Reply #809039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah you do. It's that dreaded word called potential

Reply #809040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Salt is 6'11 lol.

Reply #809041 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

Potential is usually associated with athleticism. Not the way Giddey plays.

Reply #809042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a very Naive statement Nate

Reply #809043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Giddey NBA caliber?

Reply #809045 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

Not really. Been through it myself and seen it plenty of times a different sport.

Look I might be wrong and I'll cop the feedback.
But I’m all aboard the Giddey train as we currently stand.

Reply #809046 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't anticipate Giddey is starting quality. He hasn’t experienced the physicality, the experience that makes people make smart decisions etc.

The PG role is stacked in the NBL too which makes it harder.

36ers will have to be careful to not over use him or under use him. Over use and he will fatigue, under use and he won’t have confidence or momentum.

Reply #809052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No coach in his right mind is going to hand over the keys to a 17/18 year old kid for long, especially if the losses start mounting. The jump in physicality is enormous for Giddey and the kid is going to get targeted. He will get the shit beaten out of him. Off the bench is the best option and if he has been promised a starting spot, whomever did that needs to removed straight away. I doubt Connor Henry would run with that unless he's that desperate for a coaching gig, he'll agree to anything.

Reply #809104 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

I cant remember, but how old were Ingles and Newley when they came into the NBL and how did they fair?

Think of it as he will be the 5th starter. Not the first starter since everyone keeps comparing him to the MVP's of the league. He's not getting the keys. He's a valuable part in a team that's being built ok so far.

He might come of the bench , but surely he is going to be better than Teys and McVeigh.

Reply #809105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Newley was 19-22 during his Townsville Crocodiles period, similarly for Ingles 19-22 during his South Dragons stint.

By the way, Ingles' wiki has his position as "Suicide Bomber" haha

In context, Josh Giddey will be 18 and in a stronger league IMO.

Reply #809106 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"No team that has a young player like Giddey starting would make the playoffs let alone win the NBL"

Didi Louzada was starting quality at 19

KET have you actually seen Giddey play?

"The jump in physicality is enormous for Giddey and the kid is going to get targeted. He will get the shit beaten out of him."

Louzada, Newley, Ingles, Simmons all held their own. The theory that they are a kid so they will struggle is olden days thinking.

"In context, Josh Giddey will be 18 and in a stronger league IMO."

He is also more highly regarded than Newley and Ingles at the same age. I don't think he will get their rookie numbers but think he will hold his own well.

Reply #809110 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

18 to 19 is a long time in basketball development!!!

What does Simmons have to do with it? A number 1 NBA pick! LeBron at 17 would have been NBL starter quality, but we are talking Giddey someone who is not #1 pick standard!

Reply #809113 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In the Dragons' debut game, the 18-year-old Ingles made league history by scoring the most points by an Australian on debut - 29, on 11-of-15 shooting from the field.
Might've turned 19 just after. Giddey will be 18 in October so still a year difference.

Remember that entering the NBL, Ingles was so noteworthy that the 36ers offered him $25k over two years! Then he averaged 13-15 PPG or whatever it was.

Giddey meanwhile:
In January 2020, Giddey helped the NBA Global Academy win the Torneo Junior Ciutat de L'Hospitalet in Barcelona, where he earned most valuable player (MVP) honors.[3] In the following month at NBA All-Star Weekend in Chicago, he took part in Basketball Without Borders and was named an all-star of the camp.[4]
I assume he's been playing SEABL/NBL1 or whatever CoE suits in these days. They're not children - those teams usually have some vets and fringe NBL guys.

As Nate said, he doesn't need to be the top starter if there are 3-4 strong options out there with him.

Reply #809119 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

KET you didn't even bother to answer the question. So obviously you haven't even seen him play.

Giddey and Simmons on similar par at the same age. Giddey will unlikely be #1 pick but he will likely make the NBA if his potential continues the way it is.

Both Newley and Ingles started, both helped take their team to the playoffs...

Reply #809123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley first year was off the bench.

Reply #809128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm just not sure what is driving these delusions??

Either Adelaide have the money to field a competitive team, or they don't.
Hopefully and assuming you do, you're going to get an import starting PG. End of Story.
If Giddey turns out to be a young dynamo, either in the 2 spot or backing up PG, then fantastic and more power to ya. But nobody, and I mean nobody, who is even slightly within their right mind, would start a season betting on a 17yr old kid as their starting PG.
You really need to ask yourself why on earth you would be wishing for that?

There's a reason, even basketcase teams on the bones of their arse, and filled with cast-offs, will raid their piggy-banks to scrape together enough coins for an import PG. You can reinvent reality in your own mind as much as you want, it doesn't change what happens in the real world.

So maybe just shelve it for now, come back and revisit this argument after you've hired the import PG.

Reply #809132 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You're not making your nonsense any better by suggesting Simmons and Giddey are on par as 18 year olds. C’mon son.

You’re comparing to Newley, but he didn’t start. You’re comparing to Louzada and Ingles who had stacked squads- 36ers aren’t stacked.

You’re comparing small forwards to a point guard, the strongest and most stacked position in the NBL.

Ya think it’s smart putting inexperienced kid who isn’t physically developed in the starting PG for an entire season and think that’s going to get you to the playoffs?

Reply #809133 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

How many times do they have to say it, the 36ers will be signing and experienced high level import PG, Giddey will either start along side them or come off the bench, Giddey wont be thrown to the wolves as the only or main PG.

Reply #809140 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think that’s what is bring debated

Reply #809141 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

You haven't seen Giddey play nor do you know his accolades but keep commenting on something you don't know anything about. Giddey and Simmons are the youngest two to play for Australia, that isn't an accident.

"I don't think that's what is bring debated"

Absolutely it is what is being debated. An import will guard the opponents point guard. Giddey will bring the ball up or be an off guard

Reply #809180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely it is what is being debated. An import will guard the opponents point guard. Giddey will bring the ball up or be an off guard

Oh wow, the trains really don't run where you live.

So what you're now saying is that:
Giddey won't be your starting PG,
He'll never be your starting PG,
He probably won't even ever run the point, but
you can still make-believe he's your starting Point Guard.

Reply #809185 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Your argument is "I know more than you"? That's a pretty shit argument haha you've lost the plot!

Giddey isn't on Simmons' level, Giddey is not a projected NBA All*Star

Your other arguments were shakey nonsense like comparing to other young players who were 1-2 years older than Giddey. Just ignored the fact that the PG position is stacked and such a vital position.

Absolutely it is what is being debated.

You're arguing for the sake of it aren't you?

Conor Henry has indicated the 36ers will go for an import Point Guard.

It's not being debated because there's nothing really to debate about what the 36ers have stated as their intentions. It's a matter of fact, not opinion.

If you're debating that, you aren't debating that with me, you're debating that with a brick wall.

Reply #809203 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Liam Santa is suggesting that Isaac Humphries will be the highest paid local in the league next season.

Wow!

Kudos to the team for going out and being cometitive in the player market.

If the Sixers spent the 4th most last year, this would likely place us in the same again (provided the Kings, and United don't go the budget route).

But please the 2 imports HAVE to be good, because the bench isn't the strongest.

Reply #809242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Highest paid is like 300k atm.

Reply #809243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

300k goes at 600k towards the cap. Adelaide spend money but don't get success.

Reply #809245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"300k goes at 600k towards the cap." As Pauline woud say, Huh?

Reply #809253 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bryce Cotton's new contract would be for a lot more than $300k a year, the 50% pay cut thing was for players on existing contracts who decided to remain on their contracts not players like Cotton who opted out then re-signed to a new contract or players coming to the NBL from another league like Humphries.

No idea what the Sixers had to pay to get Humphries across but as he has since played in the NBA and would likely be the premier centre in the league I dare say it would be beyond $300k a year.

It's quite the coup really for a basketcase of an organisation in recent years and likely due to the Conner Henry G-League connection which paid for itself after this signing. Begrudgingly gotta give credit to JVG for that hire and Adam Caporn too ;)

Reply #809255 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

the 50% pay cut thing was for players on existing contracts who decided to remain on their contracts not players like Cotton who opted out then re-signed to a new contract or players coming to the NBL from another league like Humphries.
The pay cuts apply to all contracts, no matter when they were signed.

Reply #809256 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I haven't read that anywhere and why would Cotton re-sign with Perth for $300k when he could get a good $800k in Europe?

Reply #809258 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Cotton isn't a local, yet.

And as has been explained, multiple times, he and many others have negotiated longer-term back-ended contracts. Ie he will wear the cut in year one, in exchange for increases in year 2 & 3.

All you need to understand for the pay-cuts is that the contracts have a "face value" that is used for cap and tax purposes, but the player actually receives a lessor amount according to the scale. (For next season only.)
So obviously in any negotiations, the player is looking at the lower actual value, whilst the club must consider the impacts of the higher value.

Obviously this applies to ALL contracts. Otherwise every club and player would simply have agreed to rip up existing contracts and sign new ones.

Reply #809259 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I haven't read that anywhere and why would Cotton re-sign with Perth for $300k when he could get a good $800k in Europe?
Because they backloaded his deal, because his family is from here, because he couldn't actually get $800k in Europe...any number of reasons.

Reply #809260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will take a few years for the Sixers to get rid of the boneheaded signings that Wright did......Teys, Dillon, Kyei. Once these expire and the new coach is no longer saddled with them then you'll see progress.

Reply #809273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is Kyei a bad signing? The guy showed potential in just 1 season.

Reply #809274 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Putting aside the KR/Dazz nonsense how could anyone say those deals for Teys, Kyei & Dillon were bad? They would all be cheap, Teys as a role player walks onto any NBL team's roster, Kyei as suggested showed some potential last season defensively at least and Dillon had a couple of pretty decent games when he got given opportunities and impressed enough to get a contract in Poland prior to the shutdown.

Of those four 2 year deals we handed out last offseason the only one that didn't pan out was Kevin White so the club cut him.

Reply #809275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, you were the one who erroneously said Cotton would be on more than $300k this year. They just responded to you.

Reply #809276 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

They aren't necessarily bonehead signings but using two of them as starters last year didn't help.
Look at some of the import selections for bonehead signings.

Reply #809280 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yeah agreed that maybe didn't help the perception Teys & Kyei shouldn't have been starting but it was deficiencies elsewhere in the starting five that Joey felt he had to do that.

Reply #809286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starting 5
Import (veteran)
Giddey
Import-Broekhoff-Adel
Johnson
Humphries

Backup 5
Dillon
Teys
Mcveigh
Kyei
Salt

Limited minutes you would expect for
Mudronja
Ayre or Johnson(DP)
Harris(DP)
PF(DP)

Reply #809289 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Haven't seen Humphries since his first NBL stint. Has he really come along that much?

I watched a couple of clips on YouTube and he looked good in the G-League showcase and a workout session. Has he been in the Boomers mix?

Reply #809292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was on the boomers team last tournament.

Reply #809294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He played for the boomers last feb.

Reply #809295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm waiting to see how he’s come along, certainly wasn’t that great at kings.

Reply #809296 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If it is true he is the highest paid local I expect to see MVP level numbers and high usage.

Of his time at the Kings I don't recall him having a great stroke nor any significant post game, nor an impactful defender.

Its been 3 years so I trust the team knows he has developed to a level commensurate with his pay.

Reply #809304 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Humphries had some big games in the G-League in the 2018-19 season which led to his NBA call up.

2018-19:

20 + 11 vs Bulls
14 + 16 vs Blue Coats
18 + 13 vs Nets
23 + 2 vs Mad Ants
17 + 12 vs Suns
34 + 15 vs Legends
17 + 10 vs Herd

However last season at Lakeland funnily enough under Conner Henry he went backwards saw his averages of 11 & 7 drop to 8 & 6 and didn't get a recall to the NBA.

Those games above suggest when motivated & getting the ball he dominates and keep in mind in the G-League foreigners like him don't get the ball anywhere near enough as all the locals are out to get "theirs" to try and impress.

Reply #809305 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

LB, Humphries will tear it up in the NBL don't worry about that this is not the same kid that didn't show much for the Kings 3 years ago.

Reply #809306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guy has great hands and a good touch around the basket, also can shoot the three and midrange. Has got a lot more mobile and quicker at finishing at the rim.
I'm expecting 12-14 pounts a game first season with 7-8 rebounds. Maybe a slight improvement in second year 14-16 pts, 8-9 rebounds

Reply #809308 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think you can pencil in 20 & 10.

Reply #809309 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

I think 15pts, 11reb.
DJ still a prominent inside scorer will get around 20ppg.

Reply #809312 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

20 and 10 !

What a front line with DJ.

Reply #809313 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Haven't seen him since he left the Kings outside of watching the game he started for Atlanta against Milwaukee, which I didn't take a lot from. Biggest problem with Humphries in Sydney was his lack of mobility on defense (especially side-to-side). Will be interesting to see if he's gotten any better in that area, because it's definitely possible with hard work (see: Roy Hibbert during his prime Indiana years). If not, a Humphries/DJ frontcourt might bleed a lot of points despite the damage it should do on the scoreboard.

Reply #809316 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Great signing but also hope his defence is better than DJ otherwise chasing big scores.
Like both him and DJ can shoot the 3 and still have a big in paint as well.
Apart from quality experienced PG that can shoot 3 we need another true 3 shot and Blanchfield would be good low cost option.

Reply #809323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does everyone love Blanchfield? The guy is a bum. Has never won anywhere

Reply #809324 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Because Blanchfield is a genuine 3pt shooter and even if he isn't hitting he needs to be guarded out there which opens the key up.

Reply #809326 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

36ers lost games last year because they couldn't defend the paint (DJ and Griffin are like cones), and they couldn’t shoot the 3 if Drmic was cold. Just about the worst team in the league in both aspects.

Putting culture aside ofcourse.

What’s Isaacs D like?

Reply #809327 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Because Blanchfield is a genuine 3pt shooter and even if he isn't hitting he needs to be guarded out there which opens the key up.

He was 32% last year, not exactly knock-down.

Sunday Dech and Tim Coenraad shot better.

He is a decent player but does not match the previous hype.

Reply #809331 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not saying he's some great 3pt shooter he isn't and has under performed at his last three stops but his 3pt shooting is what he is known for and because of that he like Steindl has to be guarded out to the 3 point line.

Blanchfield has been a big disappointment since he left Townsville but if he were to come to Adelaide he gets another chance to re-ignite his stalled career and Henry being more a half-court coach will give him that opportunity. Drmic even though I liked him was way too erratic to be respected from outside.

Reply #809332 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think you'd put a low bid in for Blanchfield but wouldn't treat him like Weigh the year Adelaide thought he was going to be a franchise player.

Reply #809338 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Stevie Weigh! Camel 31 on here loved him.

Reply #809340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not that it will happen but the best thing this team could do is run DJ off the bench as 6th man . Ideally he can either slot into the 4 alongside Humphries for a few minutes and then slide into the 5 when Hump is subbed.
Of course there are other options depending on how the game is looking .

I think DJ can be very effective again in around 26 minutes per game ... providing 16 and 7 . Let's not kid ourselves though his defensive is appalling and a completely liability most of the time over the last few years especially . Now is the time to use him efficiently .

Reply #810560 | Report this post

The Ibek-Way  
Years ago

I don't know if any NBL team would have DJ come off the bench. Defence might be appalling but is still one of the best (probably the best amongst locals) offensive bigs in the league.

Reply #810570 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

DJ clearly a starter on any team.
Just needs a defensive presence out there with him which Humphries should be.

Reply #810573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who even knows if Humphries is up to NBL standard now in terms of playing major minutes. Based on money he's on he has to start, but what if he's a dud.

Reply #810580 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Some missed Clarke n Weigh.
So, you can watch Mathew Knicks and Alana Smith, now.

Reply #810658 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:29 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754