Years ago

Rumour: Hawks coach to be Goorjian

I'd have to admit, I thought this news was horsesheet, then I had the word confirmed from 2 credible sources.

The great one, Brian Goorjian will be announced officially as 'The Hawks' new head coach on Monday.

It's a much needed 'win' for the Hawks community.

Topic #47314 | Report this topic

Cornholio  
Years ago

Source?

Reply #808858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's exactly what I’m hearing, nbl to pay his wage. Is it bull shit, we will find out Monday.

Reply #808859 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Loved Goorj back in the day.

If the rumour is true and he still holds as an exceptional coach, I still don't think the concept of sharing a team amongst cities works.

Reply #808862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i was thinking that yesterday one of the owners of the hawks ownered the kings when BG was there

Reply #808864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It has been an ownerous task trying to get Goorj back to the NBL but it might have finally succeeded

Reply #808865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Hawks have that much money? I call BS.

Reply #808866 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Hawks have new ownership, how much money they've had in the past is irrelevant. We don't know what the new group is willing to spend.

It's also irrelevant if the NBL is paying for him as someone claimed above.

COVID may make him cheaper, too.

Reply #808868 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

i was thinking that yesterday one of the owners of the hawks ownered the kings when BG was there

Correct, wasn't Kordahi a minority owner with Firepower before they went under? Surprised he's willing to be involved in NBL again after that.

Reply #808870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how does Covid make Goorj Cheaper? Never heard so much BS. You sprout so much BS.

Reply #808871 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Less money overseas, more COVID overseas, makes a lower price here more appealing.

Reply #808872 | Report this post

Anonyhawk  
Years ago

I think the NBL financially still hold a controlling chunk of the license, so they probably are going to pay his wage as the NBL needs this to work or they're going to look pretty stupid considering the bid they rejected.

Reply #808877 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

If this is true it is a great get for the Hawks.

Gorj has that rare combination of charisma and smarts, he backs up his full on personality with substance. This is not always the case.

He knows basketball, is a damn good coach and has the type of personality that helps bring people both corporate and fans to games.

He is good for the game (and I am not his manager)

Reply #808878 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Scout, I agree, so whilst I'm stinging with sentimental burns, scoring Goorj would be a good start to the new era.

Reply #808879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gorge is a great coach, but when kings were threepeating the kings crowds were woeful. What he's going to bring is good culture and yes I’ve also heard that the nbl have 51% of the licence, so turn up hawks fans or it’s going elsewhere.

Reply #808883 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I read this about Goorjian and I got all excited. Love this guy!

He lives and works in China.That is the China of the covid19 and the alleged dirty-doings round that. It's a China where the capital is going through 2nd wave of covid19 apparently. It means a China that really don't like Australians very much. It is a China which thinks nothing of hassling/arresting/losing citizens of countries offering diplomatic nuances..

With what he's made and done in China, he has no-doubt set himself up financially. Don't think that what China can offer from now on compares with the "retirement" outlined

He gets offered;

Coach the Hawks for a year. If it works out you can have LK's share of the Hawks (along the lines of Bogart's deal with the Kings). Instant credibility here and abroad. Remember the excitement generated in the USA & here by the Balls near-involvement. This news will continue the interest, even if not to the same extent.
Couple of years down the track and he is CEO or GM or whatever he wants.

On the one hand, Gorj deserves that sort of reward for his outstanding service to Aust b/ball at every conceivable level.

On the other hand, it's a great move for him. He gets to leave China with a considerable offer from LK back in his adopted country.
Imagine the impact he can have in reviving the Hawks and his ownership adds to the stability (Goorjian is definitely a stayer) of the NBL.

JUST HOPE IT'S TRUE!!!

Reply #808884 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

By-the-way, MY COMMENTS ABOVE ARE ENTIRELY DIRECTED AT THE GOVERNMENT OF CHINA (that is why I did not write "Chinese", which refers to the people of China).

Reply #808885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK now
50% Brisbane
25% Melbourne
51% hawks
Question re Adelaide %, if all above is true no wonder the players had to take massive pay cuts. Covid 19 sure has put a damper on the nbl.

Reply #808887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK doesn't own any percentage of Brisbane. Kevin Martin and his group own 100%.

Reply #808891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But he owns part of Adelaide, something some of their 'angry' fans should remember before lambasting other clubs.

Reply #808892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Martin only by 50% with the chance of purchasing the rest and hasn’t so far. Nbl like the Australian government, everything is partly secret.

Reply #808894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kevin Martin is no longer involved in Brisbane

Reply #808896 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So how does Covid make Goorj Cheaper? Never heard so much BS. You sprout so much BS.
How is it at all challenging to think that the COVID-19 situation worldwide would make Goorjian more amenable to working in Australia? Honestly, which contributing factor is difficult to understand?

Reply #808897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac unfortunately just another troll of KR #871

Reply #808899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know that BG is on good US$ and is unaffected by Covid. He is also in the last year of his contract afaik which may be good timing. I would prefer to hear it from Goorj rather than simple gussing here. Equally his S&F advisor (Pop) is now back in Oz which may also have someting to do with it? Unfortunately the trolls come out with the anonymous nck instead of using their Perthworld login.

Reply #808902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's Perthworld got to do with it? Koberulz suggested Goorj may be cheaper, some idiot said KR sprouts BS without actually stopping to think about it, and now you decide to blame Perthworld??

Reply #808903 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Great coach no doubt but still needs a stacked team to take on Perth, Melb etc.

Reply #808905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he comes back will be interesting to see what sought of team they put together but please remember,every club he was at here in Australia may have won achampionship but they also went broke.

Reply #808906 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

If true, great news for Hawks & scary for rest of league. This guy doesn't miss the playoffs!

Reply #808907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In an era when just about every club went broke

Reply #808908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pertworld is the anonymous person who attacks everyone rather than use his true "identity"

Reply #808910 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

People forget that Goorj is essentially Australian. He has spent more time here than anywhere else, and probably more than most posters here (except for older farts like me) His family's in Australia, including grandkid(s)
This is his home, this is where he'll retire.

So it's hardly inconceivable that if the factor were right he would again coach in the NBL. If he had the resources, then I'm sure rebuilding a team like the Hawks would be just the kind of challenge he would relish.

I'm not saying it's true, I have no idea, and on average I'd so most such rumours aren't, but it's certainly possible.

As for whether the Hawks could afford him, I'll admit the financials don't stack up, but maybe the new owners are prepared to spend big to get some success and rebuild the franchise.

Reply #808911 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Interesting new desperation tactic by the anon stalker.

Reply #808912 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

First thread I've read top to bottom in months and... Yikes. Come on, anon.

I'd love to see Goorjian back here. Big old nostalgia trip

Reply #808913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The old Murphy about Gooey sending clubs broke... So tiring and incorrect.

Reply #808914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The anon stalker is not Perthworld.

Reply #808915 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I would really like this to be true Goorjian is great for the league being the ultimate villain that unites everyone against his teams. I guess we will find out on Monday, wouldn't surprise me if this is complete bullshit though someone starts a "Goorjian coming back to the NBL" thread every off-season on here I suppose they have to be right eventually.

Goorjian himself and his program are very expensive to run so if legit it would be a great sign for Hawks fans knowing the new owners are going to be shelling out big money on the team. He wouldn't be coming back to coach a usual "cheap" Hawks team.

Reply #808916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the nbl are picking up his pay packet, no problem for the hawks being able to afford him.

Reply #808917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I know that BG is on good US$ and is unaffected by Covid."

Pretty sure if you reside in China, COVID will have an effect on your everyday life.

He is also in the last year of his contract afaik which may be good timing."

Good timing in that he would leave after the virus is hopefully contained, rather than before? Good call.

Reply #808919 | Report this post

Years ago

Of course the NBL are going to pay him. LK still holds 75% of the license, so this new semi nomadic Hawks team better stack their line up & secure a top notch coach or who the hell will go to any of their games?!?!?!?!.

Reply #808925 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Goorjian has done well as a coach but don't forget none of his players have any idea what play he is calling. Bit like the Dude Perfect video. 'Banana Swirl' Player " I have no idea what that is!"

Reply #808927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what the obsession is with Perthworld or Koberulz. Neither are significant.
If it keeps the stalker happy then so be it.

Usernames are overrated and meaningless anyway.
It's not like anyone other than Isaac or other moderators know who "Perthworld ", "Zodiac" and others are.

Reply #808934 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

I know who the Wildcats will be signing. I'm chuffed to be a coach.

Reply #808935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They still aren't going to make playoffs.

Reply #808939 | Report this post

Under a Rock  
Years ago

FWIW, Adelaide are looking for buyers to purchase part of the club, so they clearly aren't doing all that well. They seem to be changing owners as often as their imports lately.

Reply #808941 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Goorj gets fans in seats, then overspends, then gets the team playing ugly ball the home fans don't want to see, crowds plummet and three years in the team folds, merges or moves. Happy he's not here in Adelaide.

Reply #808951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the teams Board allows Goorj to overspnd and it's Goorj's fault? Which team did this alst happen with? PLease let us know.

Reply #808952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorjian is a gun! Be great to have him back in the NBL

Reply #808957 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Dragons didn't fold, they took their ball and went home. The Kings folded because their major sponsor turned out to be a scam. The Magic were easily the winners of the merger with the Giants, as were the Spectres of the merger with the Saints. The Saints/Spectres merger in particular was also the inevitable result of a more professional approach to the league, and all the small Melbourne clubs simply weren't going to be viable anymore.

So you're left with the Titans, and maybe the Magic. Not an overwhelming argument, all told.

Reply #808958 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

If he returns then be happy.... either it's great as he is a fucking brilliant coach or its great because you can hate on the team he is associated and we all love a great rivalry and he is a hell of a promoter

Reply #808962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Larry now owns:
Melb
Bris
Tassie
"Hawks"

And potentially Cairns.

What a league!

Reply #808963 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I haven't read or heard anything to indicate LK or NBL having an ownership stake in Hawks. Or the 36ers. Haven’t heard anything of Kmartin bailing on bullets.

Very speculative stuff.

Reply #808964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speculative it is but no smoke without fire, lot of these rumours start at the source and travel by word of mouth in secrecy till someone spills the beans.

Reply #808971 | Report this post

Years ago

From the source.
LK didn't even inform Lavalle & Ball camp they were unsuccessful. They found out via media!

I'm speculating on this part, but I believe since the Lavalle-Ball bid wasn't going to bow to dropping the Illawarra name LK has gone out on a limb with this new group buying in at 25% to set things up how HE wants it to work & then they'll try & entice Lavalle-Ball into the mix.

LK DID NOT want someone with a controlling % of the Hawks other than himself, he wants puppets so he can pull the strings but bail if/when they fail.

Reply #808976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sure I read here that the new "owners" had a 25% stake only in the Hawks with Kestleman owning the rest? Is that true?

Reply #808977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry I must have posted at the time the 2nd last post was posted. So the reality is that the Hawks have token owners. So much for all the hype. I had posted previously that LK had investors that wanted at least 50 ownership. Wonder why that fell through.

Reply #808981 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, an anon on Hoops said it so it must be true.

C'mon people.

Reply #808985 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

We know that dropping Illawarra name was an NBL directive. But I would have thought if they weren't taking full ownership that the Media statement would have said as the stake they were taking.

I don’t think LK is over capitalised to the extent people say, I think there’s some NBL/LK "assistance" for 36ers, Bullets, Taipans, Hawks but no ownership.

Melbourne a fair bit of the ownership is out of his hands. Tasmania will be NBL but having a stadium that LK “controls” plus a major sponsor lined up (Tas Gov) puts them in a strong position financially.

Here’s hoping Taipans can get good private ownership, Bullets and 36ers can restock with some additional capital investors.

Reply #808987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah sorry KR there are people that do know stuff and post it. We all can't be right like you.

Reply #808999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey ... at #808976

was your sauce the same one that told you the ball train was coming to town repeatedly over the last couple of months?

Reply #809000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly the Ball group was on the outside despite all the press that it was essentially a done deal. TFG it wasn't. Why question the person posting their views? Why should you care?

Reply #809007 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Obviously Goorj has been associated with teams overspending.
If management is going to overspend, one of those things they will overspend on is the best coach.
And oh, he moved one when they would nolonger pay his salary, yeah what a prick refusing to work for free.

As for not being affected by Covid, ROFL. Covid lieterally chased him out of China. He flew straaight back to Melbourne, spent two weeks living in an apartment (watching the NBL, NBA, and "Netflix") and as far as I know is STILL there.

As a Cats fan, Goorj was always the enemy, and his behaviour on the sidelines would really annoy me, but you can't deny his credentials as coach.

Reply #809008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No ones sideline behavior worse than Trev

Reply #809009 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

As for the Lamelo bid, what last season clearly proved is that all the publicity in the world is worthless if your club is is a basketcase.
Obviously the league needed a proposal that would give them the best chance of succeeding.

And I don't understand what is all this shit about LK?
He's an entrepreneur, and a developer, its what he does. He builds things, and then he sells them.
There was one solid proposal for Brissy, the one backed by Bendat (Dr Jack's son). But it wasn't quite on the scale LK wanted, and in the end it fell away anyway because the poor guy was dying from cancer. So LK built the team, and then sold it.
And yeah, he offered "vendor terms." IIRC the new owner(s) initially took around 35%, then were due to take another ~35%, with an option of the remaining bit. It's smart business, nothing wrong with that.
I imagine he plans to do something similar with Tassie, eventually, and if he offered the same for the Hawks, then good on him.

As for his supposed investment in Adelaide...
I don't know who owns all the shares (nor do I particularly care.) If some subsidiary of LK's owns a chunk of shares, then what of it?
It's not as if he's given Adelaide any advantage.
And obviously he is in no way involved in the management, otherwise it wouldn't be the clusterfuck it is.

From day one, I have questioned whether the increased spending was sustainable, and I still question that.
But so far, LK has demonstrated that he's in this for the long-haul, and for the most part is doing a good job at attracting high-value investment into the league.

Reply #809012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

# 976 is spot on the money.
The information is coming out from people who worked for the old organisation. LK owns more teams and I for one hope he successful but it still amazes me that the players had to take pay cuts while he's funding clubs when there are buyers will to invest.

Reply #809016 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Maybe we need a forum just on Larry Kestleman. (forgive me if there is one already)

Personally reckon he has saved basketball in this country, if he makes money along the way good luck to him (property etc in Tas).

If not for him the game in Australia would be a basket case and I have no doubt the Hawks would have ceased to exist quite a while ago.

Reply #809019 | Report this post

Years ago

Credit where credit's due. I've been a big fan of everything LK has done for this league, it's just in this case he backed the wrong horse...

In fact the Ball-Train horse thought they had the deal & weren't even told they'd missed out. Now that's bad business as what's the likelihood MCR will provide any corporate support after the kick in the face they got?

Reply #809024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If not for him the game in Australia would be a basket case.." It still is. No announcement on the commencement of this season's start date. Now we have the Hawks still owned by Kestleman. What's the point in owning almost all of the teams in your own league? Cairns will be under the pump with no tourism and the debacle of the rebuild where they play.
Hell he's meant to start / buy another team for Tassie. He's being sued by people that wanted to buy an apartment in South Yarra that was worth something and now he's suing those same people. A basketcase all round.

Reply #809025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the Boomers coach is?

Reply #809033 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

'It still is'

League would not exist without LK - simple as that.

No Hawks, Wildcats, 36'ers, United, Phoenix, NZ, Kings, Bullets, Taipans, Breakers etc.

reckon you could do better have a crack

Reply #809037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

025 you are clearly a clueless human who has a grudge. If you don't like NBL or LK (which is obvious) then just leave. Do us all a favour. Without LK the NBL would have been SEABL level 6 years ago

Reply #809038 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We've always wanted a sugar daddy like the other sports have and now that he's here people complain.

Reply #809044 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, I made the point a few years back that we've gone from "we need a Frank Lowy" to "we need to not have any money".

Reply #809050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Without LK the NBL would have been SEABL level 6 years ago" Maybe but with him no in charge it's a Titanic slowly sinking. SEABL was dropped by BA they were happy to take all the seabl clubs money and then dump them after a few seasons. But I guess you don't know that either. BA does sfa and doesn't do it very well.
I could go on but what's the point. As soon as someone posts a different opion than what the great unwashed think you get slammed.

Reply #809055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We all agree or a large majority of us agree LK has been very good for the nbl, but the wheels are looking shaky, partly because covoid 19. Owning so many teams doesn't seem healthy for the league either.

Reply #809057 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

Regarding LK's ownership of a handful of teams doesnt the AFL 'help several clubs in much the same way to keep them afloat?

Reply #809059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#055, it might have something to do with the way you express your opinion.

Reply #809060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK has made an announcement for when the season will start. It will be after the AFL and NRL finish. There is still a lot of things that need to happen in the meantime, and it can't be guaranteed that it won't be pushed back further, but at this stage I don't know what else you want him to say.

Reply #809061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not really a league when one bloke owns the actual league and half the teams!

Word is non owned teams very concerned and want deadline on league divestment or we might see a split/second league

Reply #809062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ OMG funniest thing I've ever read...split/second league. I’ll have a serve of what #809062 is having. It’s clearly good stuff!!

Reply #809064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The actual league is owned by 1 bloke who then owns/runs hand the teams in the league.

It opens up the league clearly to all sorts of allegations and issues most of which i'm sure are unfounded.

You think the other 4 owners want to be controlled and pay against a team thats all owned by the same person?

Reply #809068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how is this 2nd league going to work with no money and maybe 3 teams? Where is this word coming from?

Reply #809069 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

To the 'anon' rubbishing LK, get over it your bid was rejected. Like I said at the time trying to bully LK through the media into accepting your bid with the Ball kid would backfire and it has. Spectacularly.

Reply #809070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The other 4 owners can go play where? No one else is putting up a league that they can play in and make money or probably even survive for that matter. Such a bonehead claim, split/second league. Just fantasy. Are you sure your name isn't Donald Trump with rubbish like that?

Reply #809071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering three of the top four teams from last season were non-LK teams, I don't think its much of an issue for them.

Reply #809073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Integrity is everything in sport or do we accept that the NBL basically WWE?

Reply #809074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow another thread riddled with ramble.

Reply #809075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As the NBL is aligned with FIBA, BA and betting agencies I think you will find that box is ticked well and truly. Integrity in sport covers that. There is a reason you can't bet on the WWE. But you keep trotting out that notion.

Reply #809076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has it been announced officially?

Reply #809077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can always join an Asian based league , Perth have had that before them a few times in the past.

Just like the NBL domiciled itself in Singapore for a period , no reason for an Australian team to reverse that.

Reply #809078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah because Singapore was such a sustainable option. Add to the fact no one is going to want to fly in and out of Asia anytime in the next few years. But again dreams are free. I look forward to the press release that Perth are leaving the NBL to play in the Asean league. OMG comedy gold.

Reply #809080 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

There is a reason you can't bet on the WWE.
You actually can.

Reply #809081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I stand corrected. But if you bet on something with a prearranged outcome you get what you deserve

Reply #809084 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Seems like a better idea than betting on something with an unknown outcome to me.

Reply #809087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately you are not privy to that arranged outcome. At least sport has the uncertainty of outcome. Just look at Carlton v Geelong from the weekend.

Reply #809091 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Unfortunately you are not privy to that arranged outcome. At least sport has the uncertainty of outcome.
Which side of this argument are you on, dude?

Reply #809093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My side is not with the clown that suggests a split league. I'm just saying WWE is rigged prior to the match. The clown was inferring (not to subtly) that the NBL was similar. With all the cheque’s and balances it’s as good as impossible

Reply #809095 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Those aren't the sides I'm talking about.

You claimed that the problem with betting on WWE is that you don't know the outcome, and that genuine sports are better because the outcome is unpredictable. That makes no sense.

Reply #809097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The outcome of WWE is pre-determined. The parties (wrestlers involved) know who is going to win. The odds don't matter, the pool of money doesn’t matter, the outcome has already been determined. It’s fixed. Every sporting league strives for a competitive league so the uncertainty of outcome is important. No one wants to go and watch a team lose by massive margins every game. Hence why very poor teams get poor attendance especially on the road. And from there generally fold.

Reply #809098 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

None of that has anything to do with gambling.

Reply #809099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In Australia you can't fix a contest that is being gambled upon.

Reply #809101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thus if LK was rigging the league that's a crime. Unlikely to be happening is the point

Reply #809102 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I still don't follow where people get "LK owns half the teams"???

MU, whatever the exact structure, is his team.

Brisbane was re-started by the league. Without that, no Brisbane.
Under the original agreement, the league would now at worst own a quarter with no control. If the owners exercise their option then the league owns nothing.

Hawks went bust, the league found new owners.

There's this constant allegation that LK has a slice of Adelaide, despite no actual evidence, and the obvious evidence he plays no part in management.

Reply #809103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's got varying percentages in United, Brisbane, Hawks and soon to be Tasmania, that’s a fair bit of ownership in what will be a ten team comp. Adelaide is still a question, hopefully Sydney, Perth, SEM, NZ and Cairns are all not getting held up by him.

Reply #809107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Monday nothing happened yet

Reply #809108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Betting on normal sports, you at least have a chance to win as you can study the form and make your own educated guess, and you assume both teams are playing to win. Wrestling is a scripted outcome, so even if you know that a disabled midget is no match for Hulk Hogan, you're still at the mercy of the WWE not scripting it otherwise.

Reply #809109 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So basically if you pick the favourite they might not win? How does that differ from normal sports?

On normal sports there isn't a sudden increase in money going to the winner a few hours before the show to tip you off to the result, either.

Reply #809115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I explained what the difference was.

Reply #809118 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No, you didn't.

Reply #809120 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

According to Felix Von Hofe, regarding the Goorj signing:

"Confirmed now! He's back!"

Reply #809125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KR I do not know of any other sport where the outcome is agreed upon prior to the commencement of the event. This is not sport, this is scripted theatrical entertainment. Yes the general public do not know who the winner will be but that isn't the point of the discussion. If the AFL or the NRL arranged for an outcome it would be illegal, match fixing no less. Which again is illegal. And if the the NBL wanted to fix something from within they would need several moving parts all in tow and all those people would also be committing a criminal offence. The anon above compared or made an inference that the NBL was basically the WWE.

("Integrity is everything in sport or do we accept that the NBL basically WWE?)

Reply #809131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Add Phoenix to the LK group of ownership. Try and keep up Dazz. It's reported the new sock puppet owners of the Hawks only own 25%.

Reply #809144 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Where is that reported?

Reply #809146 | Report this post

Vinny Del Negro  
Years ago

Reported where?

Reply #809148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

felix von hofe the bullshti artist on his twitter

Reply #809149 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mercury Sport have confirmed also:

Exclusive: Hawks (formerly @IllawarraHawks) to announce Brian Goorjian as new @NBL coach.

OP/Anon with a bit of a scoop last Friday. I would've assumed it was a troll if I hadn't recognised the email address as a regular.

Reply #809152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

someone said that the mercury reported Ball bought the team to

Reply #809153 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Should be accurate since Boti didn't report on it.

Reply #809154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cool to get a great respected coach. He has some recruiting to do. No point being a great coach with no cattle

Reply #809155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now official.

Reply #809156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK will need to open the wallet to recruit otherwise they'll stink regardless of what Goorj can do on the sidelines.

LK gonna need to open the wallet x 4 thou!

Reply #809162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MM confirmed on FB.

Reply #809163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK isn't the owner

Reply #809164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK is the owner, unless you think owning 75% is not owning the team.

Reply #809167 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #809168 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Joe has heard the news

Reply #809169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's time to let go of the LK hate, it will only destroy you.

Reply #809170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will gorg bring back some of his ex players as assistants, there a few good ones. Lisch is also available. Coaching out of the snake pit will be very similar to coaching out of commets in the old days.

Reply #809171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No hate for LK, I have admiration but that doesn't stop me saying he owns a heap of the league for which I’m not certain is healthy. The players wage cuts across the board have probably kept the hawks afloat .

Reply #809172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For someone who has admiration for the dude you only seem to post negativity

Reply #809173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What if he's right?

Reply #809174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How are you going to confirm wild speculation like that? It's like the persistent "How much money does player X earn". No one knows. But i'd highly doubt he has a thumb in every pie nor to the level being thrown around with zero justification

Reply #809177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's do this again for the doubters.
United, Phoenix, Brisbane, Hawks, and potentaially a Tassie side.
Cairns are on the edge of going broke. NZ has been a basketcase since new owners. Perth will spend at all costs t win and there is talk of Adel being an LK connection. get it?
He owns the NBL has no Board to answer to and when he want's to drop it all everyone will be going WTF. Plus you would expect his business is going poorly. People are suing him and he is suing others and them. Not good by any accounts.

Reply #809178 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

On to the roster any thoughts on potential signings?

Reply #809179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No.

Reply #809181 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Well Kudos to the OP. Nice to see a Hoops rumour pay off.

Really good sign for the league and the Hawks. Goorj wouldn't be cheap, indicating deep pockets, and he wouldn't have signed on to coach a bargain-basement team.

Looking forward to "welcoming" Goorj back to Perth.

Reply #809183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can have admiration but you don't have to swallow the bath water. I think he’s done fine but there are holes in that he’s got a stake in what is 50% off the teams.
IMO that’s why it took so long to get the hawks franchise confirmed and a reason the players wages were cut before covid had even really begun. Take the money from John to pay Paul.
I still think the nbl is a lot better because of him but it would be nice to see more individual owners.

Reply #809184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forgive me if I do not put too much weight in an anon telling me he has a stake in 5 teams on an internet forum. It's pure speculation. Nor do I care he is being sued because people overcapitalised and then COVID-19 hit. The league also knew that they wont be playing in front of full crowds this season. The only way clubs make money is bums on seats and hospitality. Neither will be at capacity. Hence the reduction in wages. Simple business 101.

Reply #809186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually never mentioned anything about getting sued. I'll bow to your great knowledge on everything by the looks and hope you are right.

Reply #809187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He owns the NBL has no Board to answer to and when he want's to drop it all everyone will be going WTF."

Some idiot used to say the same thing about Jack Bendat. Year after year, you'd hear doomsday stuff about Bendat pulling the pin and leaving the Cats in the shit. 10+ years later and it still hasn't happened. Maybe wait until there is strong suggestion he's ready to drop it instead of just wondering what if...

Reply #809188 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

This is good news for the Hawks and the league in general.

I'd guess that there are players who would want to play for BG as well, I would expect some decent names to come up that wouldn't normally be associated with a club like that.

Would a big name like Ingles, Broekoff, or Landale be possible?

I hope the new owners have money, BG is not cheap, his team will not be budget either, on top of that revenue looks to be dropping. At this current form, COVID isn't going away fast enough and I would expect the 50% capacity to remain.

Reply #809194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People are suing him and he is suing others and them. Not good by any accounts.

Looks like you did

Reply #809198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LoveBroker, you ask 'Would a big name like Ingles, Broekoff, or Landale be possible?'

Broekhoff or Landale maybe, but you realise Ingles has two more years and $24mil USD still on his contract?

Reply #809200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is suing who, and why?

Reply #809201 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Dellavedova if he doesn't get another NBA gig.

Reply #809202 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Billy T as assistant?

Reply #809204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last I heard was Billy T was in China, his son Nate might be a chance, he had good game in site and was also in China. Have not heard anything of late.

Reply #809206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tomlinson? lol they just scored the GOAT and you want to balance it out by giving them the WOAT?

Reply #809207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last I heard BT was very happy with his China job. Nate Tomlinson is back working with his old school in Colorado. #CUBuffs

Reply #809208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Who is suing who, and why?" Try doing some research eh

Reply #809210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why don't you just tell us?

Reply #809213 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Tomlinson? lol they just scored the GOAT and you want to balance it out by giving them the WOAT?

GOAT with the WOAT paired up worked out for the three-peating Kings. Sorry for being nostalgic.

Reply #809214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tomlinson worked very well with the gorge for a very long time with great results, I would not bag him so easily.

Reply #809216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why don't you just tell us?"

OK.

Nah

Reply #809219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok so you're making stuff up then. Cool.

Reply #809220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try doing some research eh

Reply #809225 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Tomlinson can come back for the Tassie Head Coach job

Reply #809227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will he bring his water boy?

Reply #809228 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Gold.

Reply #809229 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Could be worse.

FoSoJ and SoJ.

Reply #809230 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Missin something re the waterboy

Reply #809232 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Tomorrow's Mercury front page:

Get around it, Hawks fans. Vote with your feet and keep your team in Wollongong.

Reply #809234 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #809235 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Goorj interview from Fox Sports News this evening.
Man... I can't believe it's been 11 years.

Reply #809241 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Wow Brendan Joyce really coached that long.
Still only Hawks title coach for now.

Reply #809246 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:54 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754