Anonymous
Years ago

What can TV ratings tell us so far?

I'm trying to get a gauge on TV ratings for sports in light of COVID. I’m interested in seeing what the effect has been and whether it will be positive or negative for NBL. For example if there are more viewers as a response to COVID is there greater bargaining for TV rights?

Let’s look at the AFL for example. I’m not sure if it is publicity but they keep saying they have had record ratings. Opening night seemed huge but around 500k viewers since. Has there been an increase in this space or is it the AFL pumping their own tyres?

Topic #47356 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

In the short term it would probably be neutral for the NBL instead of positive or negative as sports ratings are up across the board. In comparison with other leagues with everyone experiencing an increase in viewership the difference in ratings gap will remain.

However if brand new content of scripted series runs dry due to filming stoppages continuing into the long term all sports properties including NBL would theoretically be worth more.

Reply #810198 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Of course the AFL had record ratings:
> It's the most watched sport in many parts of the country
> There was an 8 week or so hiatus
> Most people could not watch live
> Nothing else to do in Melbourne but watch TV.

Reply #810201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will say what it always has nobody watches the NBL on TV

Reply #810205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The afl has been boring, refs making horrible decisions. The biased press keep it alive to save there own jobs.

Reply #810228 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:03 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754