Jack Wildcat
Years ago

Wildcats For Sale

As reported by Lachy Reid on Ten News surely won't take long.

Topic #47439 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might not be the only team for sale either.

Reply #812774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely this is probably why Cotton got paid big $ been in the pipe line for a while.

Reply #812775 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Andrew Forest has a few dollars spare.

Reply #812781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's worth roughly twenty times more than Bendat.

Reply #812788 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

And should live a few more years

Reply #812789 | Report this post

Sourbroker  
Years ago

And he's got plenty more indigenous people to screw over and make a buck out of for years to come. Top bloke ol’ Twiggy.

Reply #812791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not many want to line up to buy it with league office have so much control and interest in so many clubs

Reply #812793 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Bad time to be selling a pro sports franchise that relies on gate receipts.

Reply #812795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most NBL teams are an owners passion. If its about making money then most sport teams not just NBL are bad investments in many parts of the world.

Reply #812802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larry Kesselman to purchase! Rumour is he wants to collect the whole set of NBL teams!

Reply #812809 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Nah, just shoddy reporting. They are not "up for sale".
There is a deal, and it has been in the pipeline for a while.

Dr Jack heralded this well over a year ago. He wanted the deal done whilst he could still impose certain requirements on the new owners.
Which makes perfect sense. He wants to ensure the team continues its community and development work, and that the new ownership has deep pockets, just in case things go pear-shaped.

And no, I'm not claiming to know. There have been rumours, but I have NFI.

Reply #812811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NFI again Dazz. Perth rely on gate receipts to make a loss. Pointless.

Reply #812820 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

And he's got plenty more indigenous people to screw over and make a buck out of for years to come. Top bloke ol' Twiggy.

I find it incredible that those who don't do a thing to contribute to Indigenous Australiua will happily spout utter crap about others who do.

before running your mouth next time, learn to read up on what Forrest and others do to help their cause.

Start here as you'll like have trouble navigating to Google.

https://www.minderoo.org/about/

If you are having trouble ask your Dad (or who ever your Mum is currently with) for assistance with the longer words.

Reply #812824 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Lovebroker 1 v sourbroker 0.

Reply #812825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NFI again Dazz. Perth rely on gate receipts to make a loss. Pointless.

Every clubs rely on ticket sales, but only the Wildcats are consistently profitable.

Reply #812845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"only the Wildcats are consistently profitable."

Not really, they openly admitted they only come close to making a profit most years and are reliant on finals gate receipts to do it.

Reply #812847 | Report this post

Trevor Torrance  
Years ago

yes D2.0 is correct, Jack has been trying to sell the team for a while now. Wanted 9-10 million at the beginning of the 19/20 season. I know he was talking to AV to try and get a group of investors together, but that never seemed to eventuate. I think selling to Twiggy is low on his list, but you'll never know and he seems to be proactive with the Western Force and creating opps for them!

Reply #812848 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It won't happen, but I would love to see a consortium of West Coast Eagles, a local businessman with a bit of capital and a 'basketball mind' a bit like the Hawks have in Colangelo.

WCE are just about the only club in the AFL, perhaps aside from Collingwood that are financially very, very strong. Perth are just about the only club in the NBL capable of spending what's required to build a championship team (see Cotton) while remaining financially stable.

Joint use of facilities, savings via de-duplication of roles and resources and they would have a nice Barcelona BC/FC type setup and Perth could possibly become marginally profitable year in year out.

Reply #812849 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

D. Martin retires, next minute the For Sale sign is in the lawn of the club....

Reply #812863 | Report this post

Sourbroker  
Years ago

Are you certain I've done nothing to contribute to the indigenous community in Australia? Think carefully now...

As for Twiggy, shall we count the ways...

https://www.welcometocountry.org/philanthropist-determined-stealing-from-aboriginal-groups/

Reply #812864 | Report this post

Sourbroker  
Years ago

But wait, there's more. So much more and more and more...

http://nationalunitygovernment.org/content/claims-twiggy-forrest-has-purposely-manipulated-pilbara-community

It should we just use examples from Twiggys own websites? That doesn’t sound Trumpian at all..,you tosser.

Reply #812865 | Report this post

Sourbroker  
Years ago

In fairness, ol' Twigs is just following on from fine examples that came before him...

https://dingo.news/voice/2020/01/26/andrew-twiggy-forrests-indue-card-continues-a-proud-family-history-of-exploiting-aboriginal-people/

Surely you can find something written in The Australian, or surely The Spectator, that shows Twiggy to be the indigenous Jesus...

Reply #812866 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

Wildcats must make the finals to be profitable, and make the grand final to extend profits. Renting Perth Arena isn't cheap. It's expensive.

The other option is HBF Stadium but that only holds 5000 and it results in a loss every single year unless they win the championship.

Reply #812873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would take with a pinch of salt any comment by any club about how much money they DON'T make each season.

Reply #812875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wanted 9-10 million at the beginning of the 19/20 season." What a load of bunkum. Melb United was for sale for $10mill. Are you saying the Wildcats are only worth that? Bullshit.

Reply #812878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ ive got potion to sell you!

Reply #812880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure why Twiggy cops a poor wrap?

Twiggy has done alot for this country no matter what many think of his work with the CCP

Reply #812885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Twiggy has done a lot for Twiggy. Not big on paying tax or royalties from memory but hey, if the Wildcats need an owner he's got deep pockets.

Reply #812895 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Andrew Forrest has done a lot of philanthropic work.

Just a shame that a few need to invalidate that with words like stealing and exploiting.

Quoting dingo.news and welcometocountry.org as pieces of truth is just completely asinine.

Reply #812908 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Twiggy has done a lot for Twiggy."

This, I hope Jack knows what he's doing...

Reply #812910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because he's done good things and bad things. I know that he takes his aboriginal history seriously and all FMG employees have a section on that in their inductions. He also set out to create a program where x number of jobs across his mine sites go to Indigenous people and he achieved it, and he gives back to the community with vocational training run by FMG.

But if he has also taken advantage of the communities as the articles Sourbroker posted suggest, then at the end of the day he's still in it for himself and his positive contributions are lessened.

His photo opportunity when purchasing the PPE from China to donate to Australia was laughable, but all mining companies have played a few political games during covid. They are seen to be doing the right things but they most certainly will expect favours from the government (ie fast-tracked approvals) in return.

Reply #812918 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

FFS merge with the Glory and provide year round exposure for sponsors, access to the supporter base for both football and basketball and minimse your operational overheads. You all know it makes sense.

Reply #812921 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

BAHAHA Glory... Only Euro & UK ex-pats notice that they are playing

Reply #812922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't they already share some operational costs with the Eagles

Reply #812927 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Who is the glory?

Reply #812929 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

I knew you were going to say that

Reply #812933 | Report this post

Trevor Torrance  
Years ago

Yeah that's all they are worth- their gross profit is only floating around 1.2 million a season on about 2.8 turnover. Definitely not worth anymore than 10million. You don't own a NBL team to make money! or any sports team really!

Reply #812935 | Report this post

Sourbroker  
Years ago

Of course it is. Indigenous people writing about indigenous matters. Must make your blood boil eh Kerri-Anne...

Reply #812944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"their gross profit is only floating around 1.2 million a season on about 2.8 turnover. Definitely not worth anymore than 10million."

Instead of literally pulling numbers out of your arse why not just invent some so that they at least sound plausible

Reply #812945 | Report this post

Trevor Torrance  
Years ago

Not pulling figures buddy, seen them with my own eyes!

Reply #812959 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

their gross profit is only floating around 1.2 million

What's the net profit?

Reply #812962 | Report this post

They make a profit !?!

Reply #812964 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Of course it is. Indigenous people writing about indigenous matters. Must make your blood boil eh Kerri-Anne...

I have no problem with those people writing about those things, it's a free country.

I'd rather it not be :

a) presented as factual or a credible source.
b) presented to me, when I want fiction I'd rather read about dragons, white walkers, and dire wolves.

Reply #812966 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

They make a profit !?!

No they don't, they have publicly said they need to make a Grand Final just to get close to break even.

So last year not only did they lose gate receipts for Game 3, they had to still pay for Perth Arena.

They would have lost a bit last year.

Reply #812968 | Report this post

Trevor Torrance  
Years ago

It's called an NDA. Either way 10million give or take is a fair price especially in this climate!

Reply #812974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LB, they said it publicly for a reason. Doesn't mean it is entirely true.

Reply #812976 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No they don't, they have publicly said they need to make a Grand Final just to get close to break even.
No they haven't.

So last year not only did they lose gate receipts for Game 3, they had to still pay for Perth Arena.
Game 3 was in Sydney.

Reply #812988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dr Kobe.

Reply #812992 | Report this post

Sourbroker  
Years ago

White walkers. You're favourite I’m sure Kerri-Anne.

Reply #812997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it not factual, LB? Just because the case didn't get much play in the media, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Reply #813010 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

They need to make the finals to be profitable at Perth Arena. They had to win the championship to be profitable at Challenge Stadium.

Reply #813083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget the shit that Kobe talks.

Here is is the quote from Bendant earlier this year.

"But when asked if team owner Jack Bendat, a member of The List - Australia's Richest 250, makes a profit, Georgiu says: "We get pretty close to break even if we can host one or two grand final games. We’re pretty close otherwise and we have some terrific support from our sponsors and our fans."
Source - The Australian :March 13.

The same article also says "The National Basketball League is riding a wave of enthusiasm and popularity, but with its nine teams set to lose $15m-$20m combined this year it is very much a work in progress in financial terms."

Reply #813097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take it with a pinch of salt. You think all the league owners are going to be running to the media to tell everyone they are making major profits and are dripping in NBL cash?

Reply #813100 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

Hold the horses. Kobe has been denounced. Holy shit. Kobe who pisses on everyone's shoes when they are wrong, gets it wrong himself. Today is a bad day for a helicopter ride.

Reply #813101 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

For the guys that think the Wildcats are lying about losses.

What is the pay off for lying? They are trying to sell the business, wouldn't they want to pump up the business' prospects?

The Wildcats cannot cry poor to the NBL for league equalisation payments.

They aren't on the verge of VA, but don't think they are making a huge amount of profit. They have said from the very beginning that the breakeven point for being in Perth Arena is very high, they need something like 10k crowds.

I am open to them not telling the truth, but I don't see the angle.

Reply #813102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The quotes from earlier this year, and the sale of the team, are not related.

The angle is, owning a sports team is about minimising tax payments. You don't want to be seen to make a profit, and you want your assets (player contracts) to depreciate over time.

If the break even point at Perth Arena is 10k, yet they get 12,500 to almost every game, that's 20% extra right off the top.

Reply #813106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Break even point would be to cover costs of hiring the venue I reckon?

Reply #813113 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

Angela Bennett will be buying the Wildcats.

A great person, she will be a fantastic ambassador for sport.

Reply #813139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She *might* be. It's just a rumour at this stage.

Reply #813140 | Report this post

Macca  
Years ago

https://www.georgiou.com.au/

Reply #813143 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Deal is off apparently. Wildcats withdrew.

Reply #813240 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #813244 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:38 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754