Anonymous
Years ago

ESPN 2021 Mock Draft

Draftexpress/ESPN 2021 mock drafts don't have Giddey or King in either round, and i tend to agree. They would both have to have one hell of an NBL season to get on the boards, as they haven’t even gotten close to doing what Lamelo did, and his prediction early wasn’t great.

People need to stop putting the horse before the cart.

Topic #47522 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey imo will rocket up rankings.

Reply #815200 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

We also need to remember these next star deals are for two years so they can go for 2022 draft.

Reply #815205 | Report this post

I wouldn't put too much stock into neither appearing on that mock. Both guys were considered 2021 college entrants thus 2022 nba draft prospects until just recently. A lot of international prospects fall under the radar in early mocks too.

Jonathan Givony had King going 31st in a recent mock and before the decision to turn pro was considered a 5 star college recruit which would put him in lottery territory. This buzz didn’t come out of nowhere.

Reply #815236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they wont be drafted...

Reply #815247 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Whilst it great to be drafted, at the end of the day, is that huge a deal?

Paul Rogers, CJ Bruton, Ben Pepper and Brad Newley were drafted.

Matthew Dellavedova, Joe Ingles and Aron Baynes were not drafted.

After watching Baynes, Delly, Ingles, Mills etc play when they were teenagers and watching a lot of tape of Giddey, I honestly believe that Giddey is as talented as those above guys.

I will put Luke Travers in that mix too. Similar to Ingles but plays much faster, has better vision and perhaps has a better IQ (I'm talking about comparing the two at the same age).

King will make it too.

This is what Jonathan Givony had to say about Giddey:

Josh Giddey | 6-8 playmaker | NBA Global Academy (Australia)

The 6-foot-8 Giddey showed both sides of the coin in Chicago, impressing NBA scouts with his feel and creativity while also confirming lingering questions about his physical profile and upside.

Giddey is a unique prospect who plays an against-the-grain style and gets by on smarts and skill as a jumbo playmaker who excels in pick-and-roll. He plays at his own pace, whips the ball around the floor off the dribble with either hand, is extremely instinctual attacking closeouts to keep the defense moving, and can finish with touch shots in the paint. Giddey's instincts also transfer to the defensive end, where he does a nice job of anticipating his opponent's first move, even if his lack of length, strength and his upright nature limit him against elite prospects.

While he'll likely always face questions about whom he defends given his hunched 190-pound frame and 6-foot-8 wingspan, Giddey also has some trouble beating more athletic defenders off the bounce and finishing against length. He struggles a bit when aggressive wings take away his airspace and force him into traffic.

Giddey's decision to likely stay in the Australian National Basketball League next season makes sense, as not every high-major NCAA program would have seen him as a big playmaker. But he certainly has the ambidexterity, vision and creativity to make it in today's NBA. -- Givony

Reply #815279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think giddey is quick enough to keep up in the nba, and lacks skill of current points guards needed to succeed. Could well prove me wrong though.

Reply #815294 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Luke travers got about as much chance making the nba as Taylor britt or aj olgivie.

Reply #815308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was told that Travers work ethic is what holds him back.

Reply #815341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So big colleges didn't look?! Guess it’s a long career in the nbl for him at best

Reply #815455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddeys skill set is similar to a lot of college kids, the only way to stand out is to have an impact against men. Could have gone the St Mary's route but still would have questions against him. Can see him having an ok rookie season, but this ridiculous rumour of guaranteed starting role is stupid.

Reply #815456 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:16 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754