BeeGee
Years ago

Hawks Sign AJ Ogilvy as Injury Replacement

The Hawks have completed their roster for the upcoming NBL 20/21 season after signing AJ Ogilvy on a one-year deal.

Ogilvy joined the Hawks in 2015 where he had an outstanding few seasons and was later named in the All-NBL First Team.

The big man returns to the Hawks as an injury replacement for Daniel Grida who tore his ACL earlier this year, with the swingman expected to be out for the duration of the 2020/21 season.

On returning to the Hawks for the upcoming season AJ stated, "I'm very excited to have re-signed with the Hawks. The staff have put a great group together which I know will be very competitive. Wollongong has been my home for the past five years so signing with the Hawks was my first priority. Obviously, this season may look different but I’m excited for what it will bring."

Ogilvy is the most tenured Hawks player this season and is geared to be an important piece to the team with Head Coach Brian Goorjian stating, “We are very excited to get AJ back to the Hawks. He gives us that interior target, is a tremendous rebounder and is a very important piece to complete our roster. Also, AJ is a person well respected by our playing group and with a young team, he will be an integral part of team leadership where his experience will be highly valued.”

Ogilvy joins Justinian Jessup, Emmett Naar, Deng Deng, Deng Adel, Sam Froling, Isaac White, Tyler Harvey, Cam Bairstow, Max Darling and Justin Simon on The Hawks’ roster, with Dan Grida recovering from an ACL injury.

Topic #47609 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

Great signing. ;)

Reply #816920 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

They are a little more balanced now.

Reply #816921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good signing, will do well with Goorgian as coach.

Reply #816922 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Not exactly exciting but still good signing. AJ is part of the furniture there and is still very capable. Interesting to see how he adapts to Goorjians style of play

Reply #816923 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

As a Wildcats fan, bullet dodged...

Reply #816927 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Kind of amusing to me that a guy who has been a Hawk for a long time is now just an "injury replacement".

Reply #816928 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Ogilvy once fancied himself as an NBA talent to now only making an NBL roster as an injury replacement.

Unfortunately this probably now means an end to a long and distinguished career for David Andersen.

Reply #816931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6'4 T.Harvey(I)/6’1 E.Naar
6’5 J.Simon(I)/6’7 J.Jessup(NS)/6’2 I.White
6’7 D.Adel/6’8 D.Deng
6’9 C.Bairstow/6’6 M.Darling
6’11 A.Ogilvy/6’11 S.Froling

Reply #816932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i cant see a weakness

Reply #816935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He needs a rocket from time to time, and Goorjian is the perfect guy for him. Won't accept the low energy stuff at all, so you'd think Ogilvy would have a bit of a rejuvenation. Just so long as he never has to play at RAC Arena ever again lol.

Reply #816936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see a weakness? How about that the team has never played together before?

Reply #816938 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Can only hope United or Phoenix pick up Andersen.

Ogilvy adds depth and experience in the frontcourt so no problem with his signing.

Reply #816940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Coenraad retiring or still waiting on a position?

Reply #816941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coenrad was either at Wollongong or nowhere. His wife has a business down there and I believe he's starting a coaching business.

Reply #816943 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Coenraad has had his training/coaching business for years.

Can only hope United or Phoenix pick up Andersen.
It's not as though his career would be cut short - he's 40.

Reply #816944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would sign Andersen as a Wetzell replacement to play back up big

Reply #816946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be aiming for

(I)/6’1 K.Adnam/6’2 A.Gibson
6’6 C.Gliddon/6’7 K.Stephens/6’4 W.Hickey(DP)
(NS)/6’6 R.Te Rangi
6’5 M.Creek/6’8 V.Jois
(I)/6’9 D.Pineau/7’1 J.Perry(DP)

The ns would be nba stash sf since there are so many in the draft.

Anderson would be good but no future in league and injury prone, so I picked Jois.

Reply #816947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jois is worse than Smith-Milner. Te Rangi hasn't gone to SEM to be a bench player.

Reply #816948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Te Rangi,didn't even play at the bullets.
Earning 15-20 a game should be his goal.

Reply #816949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Te Rangi was fantastic two seasons ago, bullets brought in imports in his spot. He'll be fine.

Reply #816950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson to Perth, contribute more than White.
If Adelaide had the room, would have been good to mentor Humphries. Maybe a coaching role and emergency big in case of injuries. I'm sure Forestville will be able to cover the difference in salaries when nbl1 starts.

Reply #816952 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I wouldn't harp too much on "injury replacement"
It's more that he was the last player signed.

Andersen to Perth, if he could be bothered, as a placeholder for Plums, isn't a totally terrible idea.

But at the rate covid is going, Cotton will be naturalised before the season starts and we'll be working on Plumlee

Reply #816958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gonna be plenty of disappointed people if they think Te Rangi is gonna produce in SEM. Dude had one 'ok' season in Brisbane but the rest of his time in the NBL has been dud city.

Reply #816959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most teams want a college senior ns or stashed nba player 1 year out of college.

I think it's possible te rangincould start behind a fringe nba sf. Or.... they get Hopson, stArt Pineau at c and get ns c and import pg.

Reply #816960 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

Isn't the roster completed? How could Te Rangi join the Hawks (might be missing something)?

Reply #816969 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I think if there's a back up big position in the league available, Anderson will be a target. He will still be serviceable in that role.

Reply #816974 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

That SEM roster looks shocking. Bottom 3 unless they get stud imports.

Reply #816976 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Agreed a gun big (when healthy) like Wesley retiring has really hurt them.

Reply #816982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson would be good for SEM but they might stick with their NZ flavell theme and go with Vodanovich or something

Reply #816983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vodanovich is a bum

Reply #816984 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:03 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754