TB
Years ago

Plumlee to return to Cats

just reported on Perth radio PENDING Cotton citizenship.

Topic #47647 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope he defends better than his brother.

Reply #817654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's taking three years to get citizenship, I don’t believe he had it in the system that long. The national opposition parties have been having a go at Dutton about it. Maybe Perth should just say he a French opare (spelling) that seems to work for the afl.

Reply #817657 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

It was written about in The West and spoken about on radio sports reports. I don't think the Wildcats would of let this story out if Cottons citizenship wasn't close to being confirmed.

Reply #817658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So perth is going huge upfront. They signed that rebounding giant young kid out of college and now plumped returning could give them a huge frontline

Reply #817660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's taking three years to get citizenship"

Most recent stats indicate three quarters of applications are processed and a decision made within 15 months (see https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/citizenship/citizenship-processing-times). 90 percent are decided within 28 months.

The time from decision to conferral of citizenship (the conferral ceremony) is 7 months for three quarters of those approved.

The above stats were published last week and are as at the end of August 2020.

Reply #817661 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Great to possibly have Plumlee back.
It will be a big front line , Adelaide have similar size with Humphries and DJ.

Reply #817663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trev broke the news yesterday

Reply #817664 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure it's only been like 12 months since his citizenship application?

Reply #817665 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I think so, no idea where the three year figure comes from.

Reply #817666 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Probably been talked about for 3 years, but no application till 12 months ago...

Reply #817670 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Does anyone else think Plums and Mooney together might clog the paint too much? or are they expecting Mooney to stretch the floor and hit 3's like Kay was doing?

Reply #817676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Probably been talked about for 3 years, but no application till 12 months ago..." Yep been saying it for years. Let's see if the strings get pulled.

Reply #817678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's always some dastardly conspiracy when it comes to Perth.

Reply #817680 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Not sure what people are on about
It was first reported a bit over 13 months ago. It was always going to be relatively straight forward, he has an Australian Spouse and Child, and makes his home in Perth. As per the published stats, he's still well within expectations.

With the start pushed back to January, chances of it coming through in time are promising.

But people are going to freak when Big Plums announces his application.

Reply #817682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People are going to freak when he doesn't get naturalised!

Reply #817686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would not believe anything put out by the government. It's taking between two to three seasons.

Reply #817687 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

12 January 2021 is when people i spoke to are expecting to know if they will get citizenship. Their won't be an Australian Day ceremony in person.

Reply #817689 | Report this post

Jacqui Lambie  
Years ago

Yay. The overrated, overweight, entitled flog is back. His impact until he inevitably gets fouled out early is a something we can look forward to.

Reply #817690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"12 January 2021 is when people i spoke to are expecting to know if they will get citizenship." Really the 12th? What a wank that date is if true.

Reply #817692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plumlee should naturalise.

Reply #817694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is trash. Perth are in trouble. Plumlee, Mooney, Majok. Too many clunky bigs that can only score within 5 feet of the rim.

Reply #817695 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Perth are in trouble . How amusing.

Reply #817696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your team looks garbage you cornhead.

Reply #817697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Plumlee should naturalise." On what basis?

Reply #817698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Overweight and entitled? What?

Reply #817700 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Yay. The overrated, overweight, entitled flog is back."

I didn't realise Bogut had re-signed...

Reply #817705 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Plumlee should naturalise." On what basis?

Umm, why do you think Perth are so interested.

His partner is Australian, and he lives in Australia.

Reply #817711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As soon as Perth naturalises him he will move to Qld where his partner lives
Thanks in advance Perth!

Reply #817714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks in advance, Perth, for having an NBA centre for three years before he moves to Brisbane to retire...

Reply #817718 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Not sure what people are on about
It was first reported a bit over 13 months ago. It was always going to be relatively straight forward, he has an Australian Spouse and Child, and makes his home in Perth. As per the published stats, he's still well within expectations."

I don't know about his particular situation, but for context, my wife has been living in Australia for only a few months less than Cotton, has been a permanent resident for over two years of that time, has an Australian spouse and child and is still at least a year away from being allowed to apply for citizenship.

Reply #817719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram, but can she ball?

Reply #817720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton has already applied for citizenship so it's safe to assume he's met the permanent residency part of it.

Reply #817721 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Cotton has already applied for citizenship so it's safe to assume he's met the permanent residency part of it."

The PR part is actually not that hard to meet, only 12 months. But, according to the immigration website - and confirmed to be the case for us - to apply for citizenship:

At the time you apply you must have been:

- living in Australia on a valid visa for the past 4 years
- a permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen for the past 12 months
- away from Australia for no more than 12 months in total in the past 4 years, including no more than 90 days in total in the past 12 months.

Cotton clearly does not meet this. As he has not been in Australia for 4 years, let alone at the time he applied for citizenship, so he must have received some kind of exception.

I'm not suggesting there is anything shady at all - there's lot of different exemptions that one might qualify for - but this has been fast tracked in some way.

Reply #817722 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

And I've just seen what the exemption likely is, again from the immigration website:

"Special residence requirement
Activities supported by particular organisations
If you want to engage in activities that are supported by particular organisations, such as the Australian Olympic and Paralympics committees, Tennis Australia, Cricket Australia or a federal government agency, then the special residence requirement may apply to you."

Reply #817723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"At the time you apply you must have been:
- living in Australia on a valid visa for the past 4 years
- a permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen for the past 12 months
- away from Australia for no more than 12 months in total in the past 4 years, including no more than 90 days in total in the past 12 months."

Yeah Plumlee fits that criteria, said no one ever.

Reply #817725 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

My basic understanding is that (unlike in the past??) The Australian Partner & Child doesn't confer automatic entitlement to citizenship,
but it does:
Make it easier to get permanent residency in the first place, which then becomes a factor;
Allows the government to ignore time out of Australia;
Makes it easier to demonstrate the required level of "Close and Continuing Link to Australia."

In regards to Cram's wife, vs Cotton, yes, the requirements for certain categories, including many sports people, is drastically shortened. IIRC its notionally 2 years, but you only have to actually be in Australia for a fraction of that.

NB: I was also mostly joking about Plumlee. Yes, he'd get the same extra considerations that Cotton did, but even with flexibility created by his relationship, he'd be a ways of applying, and he's already 32.
Not saying he won't become a Citizen, who knows, but he'd probably be 35 before it came through LOL.

I suspect if he does return to Perth, it will be because he liked the team, and because he doesn't need a massive payday.

Reply #817726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only way he gets it by season start is if Perth can pull in some favours, as Cram states above it's a lot harder and longer to mere plebs. He’ll probably be lucky to get by start of following season if all protocols are followed. Trev better get on the phone to Dutton.

Reply #817730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'd also qualify under the Distinguished Talent Visa which means he has satisfied the permanent residency requirements

Reply #817732 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

The only way he gets it by season start is if Perth can pull in some favours, as Cram states above it's a lot harder and longer to mere plebs. He'll probably be lucky to get by start of following season if all protocols are followed.
yeah nah.
That's not how it works.
You have to qualify before you can apply. That is literally how it is worded. Everything must be met "at the time of application"

After that, it is simply processing time. There is a huge backlog, and it takes time for an application to make it through the system.
75% are approved within 15 months, which would be roughly the end of next month.
90% takes 28 months, which whilst alarming suggests to me that those are the ones with problems and questions.

Reply #817743 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah he would have already received his exemption to be able to apply when he did a year ago. The processing time will be the same for anyone.

Reply #817755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

90% takes 28 months, which whilst alarming suggests to me that those are the ones with problems and questions.

That's my understanding too. I prepared an application for my wife some years back. Have a friend who is an immigration lawyer (working with different types of visas) and used to work in the Dept. of Immigration. She let me know that it was imperitive to be conscientous and comprehensive in the initial application, in order to have the best chance of quick processing. It can be the case that any follow up queries, missing information, or irregularities send the application back to the end of the queue once the response is received.

Some applications do get processed quickly. My wife's application was approved in just a few working days. I was very thorough, which I can only guess was a factor in the fast turn around.

As for all the discussion regarding influencing the process, from the rumours I heard from people involved, this at least could be a factor at that time.

Reply #817847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet again a title that is wrong.

Reply #817860 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Reply #817873 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

They claimed in Overtime that only currently contracted players could train, due to Covid. That doesn't seem plausible, considering how many players were being evaluated. Perth even had Duop Reath training with them.

They also made the interesting point that with Plums already in the country, and "comfortable," it wasn't even mandatory that he be signed before the season starts. Presumably they would need a place-holder in that case, or perhaps promote a DP??

Also stated, truthfully, that there are no guarantees. Others have touched on whether "intervention" was taking place?
As discussed above, 75% of applications are being approved within 15 months. You'd have to assume that the Cats would have used immigration-lawyers appropriately skilled in this process. So if Cotton's Citizenship is approved within the next month or 2, that would place him fairly in that 75%. No string-pulling required, no evidence of favouritism.

The govt website reports a delay between approval and the Citzienship ceremony. I'm not sure at which point Cotton qualifies? But if he were in desperate need of a Ceremony, I'm sure that could be arranged.

Reply #817874 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I remember Redhage having his ceremony at Challenge Stadium before the game, and someone having to rush the paperwork over to the government to make sure the new import could play that night.

Reply #817875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is wrong with the thread title?

Reply #817876 | Report this post

Fcuk yeah championship cruise book it!!!

Reply #817919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kevin White is a placeholder.

Reply #817966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What is wrong with the thread title?" "Plumlee to return to Cats" Plumlee MAY return to Cats"

Reply #817973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which is made clear in the first post. Is that too much to process?

Reply #817982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A correct title makes it easier for everyone. Too much to process?

Reply #817983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did this title make it difficult for you? Presumably you read the first post to see the context in which Plumlee will return, everyone else seemed to be able to grasp it too. But for some reason it confused you for a few days then you had a whinge...

Reply #817984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why read the first post? The title is the topic. Factually incorrect.

Reply #817992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why read the first post?"

Classic.

Reply #817995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some are easily confused, some are just pedantic.

In summary Plumlee could return to Perth PENDING Cotton's citizenship. The end.

Reply #817997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think most people understood the message. One person just cant move on from the thread title though.

Reply #817998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good job Matt.

Reply #818003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Fiona.

Reply #818027 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:55 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754