Vasljevic
Deck
Drmic
Bairstow
Pineau

Reply #818852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can still put together a team that could win a medal.

Reply #818853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#853 you're kidding right? European teams without NBA players will kill an NBL based team.

Reply #818854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have no clue 854...

Reply #818855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully we have an nbl season so players can be picked on form and not reputation, some mentioned above are horrible.

Reply #818856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back Lemanis.

Reply #818857 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I wasn't super confident in Brett Brown as our coach to begin with. But if we look at what we will likely be left with I think another roll with Lemanis is the best and most obvious answer. Ok, hear me out:

You're not getting Ben Simmons next year. That is not happening. If by some sort of wizardry guys like Mills, Ingles, Baynes, find themselves in situations where they can excuse themselves of NBA duties to play in the Olympics, Ben isn't going to be following them. We don't need a coach that tickles his balls.

Lemanis has a system and respect with the NBL players who will, most likely, make up the core of our Olympic team as things currently stand. There's an understanding that they have. And the team has had success, albeit at Asia Cup and qualification levels.

If we are coming into this tournament with less than a year to prepare and none of our big hitters, I don't think we further add to the unrest by throwing in a brand new coach out of left field who doesn't have international experience.

Lemanis is my first vote. Brian Goorjian second.

As for the team, we could field a pretty strong team with the main concern being the guard spots. You have to make some cringeworthy selections at some point. Cotton should absolutely waltz into the team.

I think you can add Newley to the list of players to be considered. He still gets to the rack better than most.

Hard to say how they'll do against top-level Euro teams, though.

Reply #818858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the euro teams best players are in nbaL we can match most with nbl euromside.

Someone make up rosters from other teams, with no nba guys.

Reply #818859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#855 Oh please child. Surely it isn't school holidays anymore?

Reply #818860 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If we're trying to win, it has to be Lemanis.

The only alternative is deciding we won't compete without our NBA guys, and giving the gig to someone who will take the team through to 2028, using this as a "development" year to start introducing his systems.

Reply #818861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is getting an NBA out clause for the Olympics if the NBA is not going into hiatus. You think Cleveland who are paying Delly millions or Phoenix or Utah are going to let the Aussies out for a month? You people are absolutely dreaming

Reply #818862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis for sure, Longley and Weaver as well.

Reply #818865 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think we have to go in trying to win. We don't know enough about the other teams to say they're going to be better or worse than us. You have to back whatever you're bringing, for better or worse.

Reply #818866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton isn't an Aussie.

Reply #818867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To say we can't beat euro teams... someone is talking shite.
If you look at the teams that have qualified and the teams in qualification, no team has the depth of players in euroleague to replace the nba outs.

Reply #818868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nba guys missing From euro teams

Serbia - 7
Greece - 3
Lithuania - 2
Spain - 6
Germany - 6
Italy - 4
France - 8
Turkey - 4
Croatia - 7
Czech -1

Australia - 7...

Reply #818873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canada is in worse position. 22 nba guys.

Reply #818874 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It's also not down to the number of NBA guys a team loses but their reliance on those guys. An international team may only have 1 NBA guy, but if he's their equivalent of Germany's Norwitzki, then that can be a bigger loss than if they lost 7 guys like we have.

"Cotton isn't an Aussie."

He's expected to be naturalized by then.

Reply #818877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reliance of the nba guys for those teams is well known. All the bestperformers for there those at the wc were from the nba.

Reply #818878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best performers for n.teamswere nba players

Greece had the Greek freak
France had Fournier and gobert
Spain had Rubio and gasol
Lithuania had valucosnis and sabonis
Germany had Schroeder, theis
Czech had satoransky
Italy had gallinari
Aus had mills
Etc etc

Reply #818880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes sense. COVID and change of jobs make it hard for Brown.

Reply #818881 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think we actually could have a reasonably strong non-NBA team but we have some serious question marks in the guard spots. At forward and centre though we'll be alright.

Reply #818884 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

We'll be fine. Trust the process.

Reply #818886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, the pg position is the biggest problem unless Delly has truly left the nba.

Reply #818888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My understanding was bringing Brown in was to appease Ben Simmons, so if it is understood that NBA players won't be able to participate at the Tokyo Games, it does make some sort of sense to go back to Lemanis. Although I think his results with just NBL guys has been a bit patchy?

Reply #818889 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If by "somewhat patchy" you mean "lost one game once", yes.

Reply #818894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just remember losing to Japan

Reply #818902 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Lemanis is a natural selection for continuity if we are serious about winning. The NBLers are familiar with his system and it works. That's if Lemanis is even available. If we are conceding we don't have a chance to win, it's fine to select another coach that should stay there for at least a cycle.

Reply #818906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis' "System"? - You mean the system that rellied on a team full of NBA players and failed terribly when it counted at both Rio and WC? Appointing Lemanis would not just make us a laughing-stock, it would be pointless. It turns failure from a probability to a certainty. Obvious choices are either Goorjian or Gleeson.

Reply #818908 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, the system that relied on NBA players to go almost undefeated through a campaign that involved zero NBA players. That one.

Reply #818909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So am I correct in understanding the Olympics & NBA season will clash? I have to say I'm excited at the prospect of an all NBL outfit (sprinkled in with Aussies who play in Europe).

Reply #818910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we want to win, it has to be Lemanis. It will be interesting to see which (if any) of our long-term guys opt out of the NBA to play at the Olympics. It means a lot to those guys, some may sacrifice some $$ for another shot at a medal.

Reply #818911 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"If we want to win, it has to be Lemanis. It will be interesting to see which (if any) of our long-term guys opt out of the NBA to play at the Olympics. It means a lot to those guys, some may sacrifice some $$ for another shot at a medal."

For all the love I know Patty Mills, Ingles, and the rest have for the jersey, I don't think you'll see them opt out of the NBA for a chance at a tournament that might not even take place at this rate.

"Lemanis' "System"? - You mean the system that rellied on a team full of NBA players and failed terribly when it counted at both Rio and WC? Appointing Lemanis would not just make us a laughing-stock, it would be pointless. It turns failure from a probability to a certainty. Obvious choices are either Goorjian or Gleeson."

Let's talk about 'failed terribly' shall we? We missed out on our maiden medal in 2016 by 1 point off of an erroneous foul call with 5 seconds left. We missed out on making the world cup final on a missed Patty Mills free throw. We went on to lose bronze only because we didn't have good enough back up options. That isn't Lemanis fault. That comes down to what our talent pool is like at the guard spots.

As for relying on NBA players, what was he to do, bench NBA players? Did France not "rely on NBA players" to beat us? And if you're saying he only could have success with NBA players, that is clearly wrong. He walked all over every team we played in qualifications and Asia Cup. You might scoff at the level of play there but success is success and Lemanis has had it.

"Lemanis is a natural selection for continuity if we are serious about winning. The NBLers are familiar with his system and it works. That's if Lemanis is even available. If we are conceding we don't have a chance to win, it's fine to select another coach that should stay there for at least a cycle."

My gut feeling is we'll get WIll Weaver but I think Lemanis is the better choice. There is no Ben Simmons to appease. He's been there before. He's knocked on the door of greatness multiple times. He has the experience. We should remain serious about winning. No team will have NBA players. We shouldn't sell ourselves short. If we fall short it shouldn't be because we didn't believe in our program.

-

As for potential line ups, here's mine.

Bryce Cotton
Chris Goulding
Ryan Broekhoff (if not in NBA)
Brock Motum
Duop Reath
William McDowell-White
Deng Adel
Mitch Creek
Nick Kay
Andrew Bogut
Mitch McCarron/Nathan Sobey
Xavier Cooks

Reply #818914 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You forgot about the horrible call at the end of regulation of the Spain game at the World Cup.

And we lost the bronze game because France didn't bother to play their semi final and we were coming off two overtimes. Had a couple of things gone the other way, we'd be gold medallists. Argentina weren't winning.

Reply #818915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bryce Cotton
Chris Goulding
Ryan Broekhoff
Brock Motum
Duop Reath
William McDowell-White
Deng Adel
Mitch Creek
Nick Kay
Andrew Bogut
Mitch McCarron
Xavier Cooks

Agree with this although it'll be tough for Bogut, another year on the body clock.
Other centre options are Mathiang, Humphries, maybe you throw Magnay in there if he has a great
season.
Maybe Delly comes home which pushes out 1 of white or mccarron/sobey

Reply #818916 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

^ Yep.

The only reason Lemanis isn't coach right now is Ben Simmons, who isn't even going to be there and was a 50/50 shot at best of ever committing. While I don't think the spot should be just handed back to Lemanis on a platter he certainly should be in conversations and be given every chance to regain the mantle.

Reply #818917 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Agree with this although it'll be tough for Bogut, another year on the body clock.
Other centre options are Mathiang, Humphries, maybe you throw Magnay in there if he has a great
season.
Maybe Delly comes home which pushes out 1 of white or mccarron/sobey"

Delly would be a huge inclusion for the squad and would elevate their chances just by being an adequate point guard.

Reply #818918 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Lemanis is the obvious choice- he did a fantastic job and was only removed because Brown has better relationships with Simmons (and other younger NBA or fringe NBS players?)

Reply #818924 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

NBA*

Reply #818925 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

An interesting thought experiment; would Lemanis even want the Head Coach role back? Assuming there's any bad blood there, he may not even want to be considered.

Reply #818926 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

IMHO, has to be Goorjian. Lemanis is deserving but he has sorta had his chance. Same can be said for Brown, but he has obviously advanced his CV enourmously since his 1st stint in the position, as has Goorj. And with the Chinese national team, has had several years at the international level. And surely has a chance as the long-term Boomers coach. So that also answers the good suggestion above that this may be the start of a rebuild. What better time to intro new systems etc., than in an "asterisk" year!

However, in an article I read, there was a one liner that BA had known for "some months". Surely they would have already spoken to prospective coaches by now and may already have answers to be anounced soon (real soon) I hope.

Reply #818927 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"However, in an article I read, there was a one liner that BA had known for "some months". Surely they would have already spoken to prospective coaches by now and may already have answers to be anounced soon (real soon) I hope."

Yeah they probably have known since Brett was fired what the deal was, or therebouts. I think they'll announce a coach soon.

Reply #818932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorgian wasn't very good when he had the gig previously, has to be Lemanis if he wants it. Bevo would be a good long term option.

Reply #818935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the issue with weaver continuing on from qualifiers?

Reply #818937 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

"Goorgian wasn't very good when he had the gig previously, ..."
For the teams he had, then, he did!

"What's the issue with weaver continuing on from qualifiers?"
Nothing at all.

Reply #818942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we don't have access to our NBA players our weakest spot is the PG. Cottons better off the ball like Mills were he can concentrate on being a scorer. McDowell-Whites name is getting thrown around but I still have never seen him play or know anything about his game. Starting McCarron at point with Cotton at the 2 is my guess.

Reply #818944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MDW always gets his name thrown around, who knows why, he's had no stand outs where ever he’s played.

Reply #818946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amidst this chaos, we need someone who is expert at demonstrating calm

Reply #818947 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Mcdowell-White getting talked up because of a lack of options and the hope that with his size and experience in Europe and America, that he brings something our NBL point guards don't. And I agree, Cotton is better at the 2.

After McDowell-White you have to start looking at Jason Cadee, Mitch Norton, Adam Gibson. It's truly not ideal. I start hoping Josh Giddey has a Joe Ingles-like rookie season and comes in ready to take a role. Pickings are slim at guard.

Reply #818949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's wrong with mccarron?

Reply #818950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd take Cadee, McCarron and Gibson ahead MDW, did nothing in div 2 Europe or in g league. If McCarron gets a good season in at the point for United he’d be first option.

Reply #818958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson lol. That guy is like 11th man now.

It'll be mccarron and Sobey.

WMW is much better long term, you probably didn’t watch the qbl season and he was injured most of the time at Houston. In Germany he was what... 19 or 20y.o. Can’t take much from he’s time in Germany.

Reply #818959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG do we really want to see Lemanis select a team without NBA players available?
It will just be the Bullets, plus his own kids.

Reply #818966 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Lemanis had Aussies playing Spurs-like basketball, happy for him to be back

Reply #818968 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

The whole story from BA: [from news.com. Article: Brown exit just the start for the Boomers. No firewalls etc.]
Excerpts:
"The Boomers' preparations for the revised Olympics have hit a hurdle after Brown informed Basketball Australia several weeks ago that he no longer had the time to perform his duties due to a change in personal circumstances."

"Basketball Australia has started the process to replace Brown and will interview the likes of Will Weaver, Brian Goorjian, Rob Beveridge, Dean Vickerman and Trevor Gleeson."

"Weaver has a lot of support given his long tenure as a Boomers assistant coach, but he could be ruled out if he secures an NBA job after being linked to the New Orleans Pelicans."

"It’s understood former coach Andrej Lemanis won’t put his hand up to return to the Australian job he left after last year’s World Cup in China."

Good article, worth a read.

Reply #818969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What exactly is Weavers history as a player (if any)?

Reply #818971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None

Reply #818975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it irrational of me to have an issue with that? Most coaches usually at least have college/semi-pro playing experience. How could the players respect a coach whose only slightly older than them with no playing background in the slightest form.

What kind of offense did he run in Sydney?

Reply #818978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weaver runs a very nba offence and defence, it's more of a position less where all players can swap. Rebound, run either in offence or defence. The two , three and four in Weaver game plan are all interchangeable and depending on who they play at the five this season could also be interchangeable. He obviously has some standard pick and roll plays and others like all coaches but prefers run and gun.

Reply #818980 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"It's understood former coach Andrej Lemanis won’t put his hand up to return to the Australian job he left after last year’s World Cup in China."
Well there goes the medal window.

Whoever gets the job needs to be in it for a full cycle, this needs to be the first phase of 2024.

Reply #818981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The latest talk is that the NBA season would be in the second round of playoffs at the time of the Olympics. If this timeframe plays out, some NBA players will be available.

Reply #818982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Karma is a bitch. We piss off an excellent performing coach and legendary assistant and damage our team culture all because of a couple of fragile egos and now it all falls in a heap. It serves us right.

Reply #818984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Truth there.

Reply #818988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorjian.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/if-the-boomers-call-brian-goorjian-says-he-will-coach-20201014-p56535.html

Reply #818989 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I am surprised to see Lemanis isn't putting his hand up. If the reason he chose not to do it is valid (connecting with younger players) that wouldn't be an issue in this situation. obviously there's more going on there.

As for who we should pick, search me? Will Weaver has NBA aspirations that might take him from the role. I actually think Goorjian shores up as the best bet when it comes to having the experience with the players and the record. I understand Bevo has some personal problems that sometimes get in the way of his coaching. And I don't think we try untried guys like Gleeson, Vickerman, etc.

Reply #818990 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

https://www.espn.com.au/olympics/story/_/id/30111535/boomers-boss-candidates-replace-brett-brown-australia-coach

This article makes a good point about Trevor Gleeson's relationship with Bryce Cotton potentially being a factor. If we assume no NBA players play, Bryce will be our Patty Mills, and probably our only real scoring threat.

Reply #818992 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

'Karma is a bitch. We piss off an excellent performing coach and legendary assistant and damage our team culture all because of a couple of fragile egos and now it all falls in a heap. It serves us right. '

If Lemanis coaches there's no Bogut & thats probably the issue!

Reply #818994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assuming Lemanis' mind can’t be changed I’d prefer Bevo. Obviously great relationship with Cotton & deserves his shot at the helm.

Reply #818998 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If Lemanis coaches there's no Bogut
[citation needed]

I am surprised to see Lemanis isn't putting his hand up. If the reason he chose not to do it is valid (connecting with younger players) that wouldn't be an issue in this situation.
I suspected when the news broke that he was pushed, and offered the face-saving cover story. His refusal to put his hand up again is not dissuading me from that opinion.

Reply #818999 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

@ME difference is that Cotton's a professional and would play for any coach if chosen

Reply #819001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut on record as being very pro Lemanis.......

Reply #819002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave Simmons to coach.....

Reply #819003 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Weaver good odds?

Reply #819004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"[citation needed]" Here we go again.

Reply #819008 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Experience is huge for major international tournaments. Weaver for Lemanis-era continuity or Goorjian for his previous major tournament experience.

Reply #819017 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Apologies Nostraballmus has been sleeping

No Lemanis
Has proven he can't win
Same as Goorj
Are we serious about being a medal chance still at the Div 2 Olympics ?
If so, only choice is a proven Euro medal winner
Another chance for BA to do it.
But they won’t

Reply #819020 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

If you're going to bring in a coach with reasonably short notice it's a good idea that they're familiar with the players. Bringing in some European coach who has no real footing with the NBL - where we're likely to take most of the team from - isn't going to be an efficient way to mould a team.

Reply #819028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FIA is a uniquely Euro style of play so perhaps a Euro coach wouldn't be a bad thing as the NBL is moving away from the style played at FIBA events.

Reply #819033 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think some people underestimate how strong and deep the european teams like Spain, France and Serbia are. There's plenty of guys who simply choose to play in Europe rather than the NBA, some bigger names like Niko Mirotic or Nando De Colo etc. Spain also has veterans like Claver, Llul, Fernandez, Rodriguez.

I think the Boomers can put a good team on the floor, but those traditional Euro powerhouses will still have better squads on paper.

I was a critic of Lemanis but wouldn't mind going back to him if he'd reconsider given the current situation. In lieu of that i'd go Bevo

Reply #819037 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"IA is a uniquely Euro style of play so perhaps a Euro coach wouldn't be a bad thing as the NBL is moving away from the style played at FIBA events.
"

Boomers recent competitiveness and success has largely been built on playing a different style to everyone else. I am not sure that following the crowd is the way to success.

Reply #819039 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Apparently Goorjian is firming up as the favourite for the position. I don't love going "back to the future" with coaches but he is probably the safest hands available - long international experience having coaches the Boomers before, and coaching in China as well as an assistant on their national team. My only concern is age - he's 67. I know that a lot of coaches coach much later into their years than that, but it's hard to see Goorjian as a long-term solution past "maybe" 2024 if we're lucky.

But if we're looking for immediate success and to optimize our chances right now, he stands as the safest hands available.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/olympics-the-boomers-have-locked-in-on-the-man-they-want-to-replace-brett-brown-as-coach/news-story/f4d4cf71c118f234c2a657b24406ba96

Reply #819080 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Has proven he can't win
Same as Goorj"

"...only choice is a proven Euro medal winner"

Seems like Nostraballmus's specialty is pretend clairvoyance, not sensible decision-making.

Reply #819084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorjian is as for as a fiddle could live to 71 or more so no issue with him coaching to 2024.

Reply #819087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets be honest. If we are going into an Olympics in 9 months, with a team comprised of predominately NBL players,
Plus obviously you will be chasin guys like Kay, Motum, Brandt, etc out of Europe...
And if you're trying to do as well as possible at this olympics, then Goorjian is out, you need somebody that has been coaching in the NBL in recent years and knows the players. If Lemanis is out, that leaves Bevo, Moobs, and Vicko. My biggest concern is whether international refs would put up with moobs being a dick on the sidelines, or if they would simply tech him and through him out of every game, but clearly he is the best qualified.

Reply #819092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree, I'd also think Weaver could be in the running. Gleeson, Vickerman and Weaver with gleeson the main man would work. Goorgian doesn’t know what’s been happening here for years.

Reply #819098 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Weaver, Gleeson and Bevo Ok

NOT Vickerman! He hasn't shown enough strategic flexibility in the NBL finals, so I doubt he could suddenly improve enough to cope with the Boomers

Reply #819114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not certain Bevo and Gleeson is a good match up, vickerman would be a good third wheel..

Reply #819116 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

And can we say that Goorjian really got the best out of his Chinese players? Has he shown that he's up with current trends or is he still sticking to what worked 15 years ago?

Reply #819141 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"And can we say that Goorjian really got the best out of his Chinese players? Has he shown that he's up with current trends or is he still sticking to what worked 15 years ago?

"

He's been actively coaching the whole time, and with success. Just because you havent seen him in 15 years doesnt mean he hasnt kept with the times

Reply #819157 | Report this post

H.K  
Years ago

NO WAY for Lemanis. The way he has put his roster together over the past few years is puzzling to say the least. Had his chance last Olympics and missed. Not to mention the Bullets have made the playoffs one time since they have been on his watch so that speaks for itself as to where he sits in order of the most talented coaches.

Reply #819164 | Report this post

H.K  
Years ago

Surely Gleeson has to be an option?? He has kind of won a few championships over the past few years! Vickerman has 1 in recent years and always gets thrown up but Gleeson doesn't? Am I missing something here??

Reply #819165 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

If you have to go all the way to China to get a coaching gig, you probably suck. Seriously, anybody on this forum want to go to China to work?

Reply #819168 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ben, yeah, I always wanted to go. Have travelled a bit in China and always enjoyed it. Partner had an opportunity but was indispensable here so the plan was vetoed.

There has been loads of money in Chinese basketball over the last 10 or so years.

Reply #819176 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"If you have to go all the way to China to get a coaching gig, you probably suck. Seriously, anybody on this forum want to go to China to work?"

It's called money, Ben.

Reply #819177 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

The Chinese environment and officiating is nothing like FIBA or the NBA, as the various Boomers teams have found out and has been widely stated, so who's to say that the way Goorjian coached in China will work elsewhere?

Reply #819179 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Because he's already coached elsewhere, including Boomers. I imagine he's pretty adaptable.

Reply #819198 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Hoopie, all coaches have to adjust. Goorjian has been adjusting for over 30 years. I don't think he's suddenly going to be like "Oh shit, three-point shooting centers? Positionless basketball? what IS this wizardry?"

Reply #819199 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

ME and Isaac - I don't disagree.

If we DO go with him, then I just hope he's as good as everyone seems to think he will be.

I see parallels with the Brett Brown and Sandy Brondello appointments - they're (W)NBA coaches so there was this big assumption that they MUST be better than anything we could produce ourselves.

Reply #819206 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I was never overly enthused with the Brett Brown selection. It was just another ball-tickle for Simmons who seems to have a "take it or leave it" relationship with the team. They put David Patrick in the coaching staff for the World Cup and that didn't sway him. He used the excuse that he was "working on his jump shot", which he could have done during the tournament. And in the end, his shot was no better than it was before. The guy actively courts reasons not to play, and even with Brown it was going to come down to whether he could be bothered at the time. So for me, dropping Lemanis for Brown was a mistake from the get-go.

But now we have a few choices; you either go with experience and a steady hand in Goorjian or you go for something of a rebuild under a different coach.

I don't think we're so far out of the game with an non-NBA team that we start from scratch again. And that's why I support a Goorjian take over.

Reply #819209 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Longer term I think Goorj may be the go.
But in the short term, I would go with Gleeson.
Critics say that he wouldn't be as good without the Wildcats money and good players, but he's going to have access to the best players in the NBL and Europe, players he knows very well.
He's also done exceptionally well running a system that doesn't rely on a high-scoring PG

Reply #819233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson. Wildcats are not as rich as they use to be and don't want to splurge the cash like yesteryear, so getting Gleeson as the national coach ensures top players wanting to play for Perth.

Reply #819274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahahahah you kidding! That above comment is from a Perth idiot who has no idea.
Cotton is literally the highest paid player in the league.
They made a massive play at Kay to try and keep him from going to Europe.
The dumped Dario Hunt and paid $40k US net a month to get plumlee.
Wildcats paid the most luxury tax.
Gleeson can't win with paying for talent.

Reply #819278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That and Gleeson got sacked after rio.
Players don't respect him

Reply #819279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson got "sacked" after Rio because he tried to be an Assistant Coach and actually contribute, instead up just cupping Lemanis' balls. Gleeson is literally the most highly respect coach in Australia.

Reply #819281 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Gleeson should be offered a one-time deal. Take an NBL team to Tokyo next July, and that's it.
Then look to rebuild towards the next WC and Olympics.
Who knows, maybe he does really well, but if not give the long-term gig to Goorj.

Reply #819282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah so highly respected he's won multiple coach of the year awards that is voted by his peers

Reply #819285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If you have to go all the way to China to get a coaching gig, you probably suck. Seriously, anybody on this forum want to go to China to work?"

Guess your "job" with jobkeeper is your career high. You have no idea how much U$ they pay over there. Tax? What's that.

Reply #819305 | Report this post

H.K  
Years ago

The proof is in the pudding. The Kings paid big money to get Lisch from the wildcats, then Melbourne paid big money to get Prather (which got them a ring) but in the end Gleeson has more rings than any other coach in the league batting Goorj now he is back. Yes hail Bryce Cotton but the coach has to get some credit but never seems to for some reason. One thing is for sure. The reason is certainly NOT about results it would seem...

Reply #819312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hall of fame coaches ALWAYS had hall of fame players in their team. But there have been hall of fame players that never had all of fame coaches.
Perth always paid top dollar for talent. That's not a bad thing either. But I doubt anyone wants to see the Australian National team run flex at the Olympics

Reply #819326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia will be lucky to win a game least of all get out of the first round with only NBL talent. I'm not sure our European based players will help that much.

Reply #819327 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

In Olympic basketball you only need to finish 4th out of 6 in your group to progress to quarter finals, so realistically only need to win 2 of 5 games (and only 1 if oher results go your way).

Of the teams that have already qualified, Iran, Japan and Nigeria should be winnable without our NBA players (and theirs). If we get 2 of them in our group that would help, only 1 and we might struggle.

The other qualified teams are US, Argentina, Spain and France. US will obviously be a shell of itself, while Argentina should be at or near full strength and France and Spain will be in a similar position to us, though with better depth.

The most dangerous teams might be those that qualify out of the play in tournaments, given they'll be in form, and using their non NBA guys.

The teams I think would make it out would be
Turkey (from the Canada group)
Then Croatia, Serbia and Lithuania to qualify from their respective groups. I'd expect Lithuania and Serbia, along with Argentina to be the heavy favourites.

Reply #819329 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

There's literally no way to know what talent is going to look like because NBA players have been at every meaningful international tournament for almost 30 years. I'm not as quick as others to assume we wont compete. I remember our 2014 team had maybe one NBA player and we slaughtered Lithuania, so I don't see why this situation is so much different (bare in mind, no Patty Mills for that tournament).

Not saying we're going to waltz to a medal but early projections are tough to make.

Reply #819338 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I remember our 2014 team had maybe one NBA player

Not even close.

NBA:
Matthew Dellavedova (Cleveland Cavaliers)
Aron Baynes (San Antonio Spurs)
Dante Exum (Utah Jazz)
Cam Bairstow (Chicago Bulls)

NBL:
Adam Gibson (Adelaide 36ers)

Europe:
Ryan Broekhoff (Besiktas)
Dave Andersen (Strasbourg)
Chris Goulding (Zaragoza)
Joe Ingles (Maccabi Tel-Aviv)
Nate Jawai (Galatasaray)
Brock Motum (Bologna)
Brad Newley (Gran Canaria)

Reply #819340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually very close. Only two of those Boomers were in the NBA in 2013/14, Dellavedova and Baynes. Exum sat out that season and Bairstow was at New Mexico.

Reply #819342 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Both had been drafted prior to the tournament. Had it been the same as the current situation - delayed into the coming NBA season - they would have been unavailable.

Reply #819343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But it wasn't.

Reply #819344 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You're right. We should instead look at the last time all our NBA players were unavailable due to a pandemic rescheduling the NBA season, which was...

Reply #819345 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I'm not sure our European based players will help that much.
Landale and Kay were very good at the WC
Without Baynes, and dependent on form, its possible even Motum comes back into consideration. Maybe even Reath

Reply #819348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We should instead look at the last time all our NBA players were unavailable due to a pandemic"

ME's post was not about the pandemic, it was about the ability of the Boomers to compete with a low number of NBA players in the line-up.

Reply #819353 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And Bairstow and Exum had been drafted into the NBA, and were therefore NBA players.

Reply #819357 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Is Brown out long-term, or only for the next NBA season? Forgive my ignorance, but does he have another job yet in the USA?

Should BA do what other sports have done and cast a much wider net (ie internationally)?

If we restrict it to Australians, then I think we can assume that Goorj is the favourite.

Reply #819358 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Is Brown out long-term, or only for the next NBA season?
He was never in long-term in the first place.

Reply #819360 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Bairstow and Exum had been drafted into the NBA, and were therefore NBA players."

Let's be realistic, at that time Exum was a project. Even Gibson was getting similar playing time. Bairstow was a serviceable big, but he, too, made the NBA partly due to potential. Both were NBA players with an asterisk.

Regardless, I'd say we had very good talent overall, with a strong core of 4 with Ingles, Baynes, Delly and Broekhoff. Although Andersen had a subpar tournament for him, perhaps add him as the 5th of the core. Bairstow and Motum shared time mostly backing up the 4, Newley was useful, and then Gibson and Exum got minutes by default. Also recall our 3-3 record in that tournament was because we conceded the Angola game. We should've been 4-1 in the 1st round, and would've been 5-1 and into the quarters had we not choked against Turkey. I'm not sure that we could've beaten Lithuania a second time in the quarters, but at that stage in a major tournament, who knows.

Reply #819367 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Australia has loads of good coaches. Bevo, Gleeson, Vickerman all have proven their value in the NBL.

However NBL success doesn't always translate to international success.

So again this puts Lemanis as frontrunner. Players know his systems, and he's been successful in World Cup and Olympics- unlucky Australia doesn't have multiple medals.

Reply #819371 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"So again this puts Lemanis as frontrunner. Players know his systems, and he's been successful in World Cup and Olympics- unlucky Australia doesn't have multiple medals."

Lemanis isnt being considered

Reply #819372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And Bairstow and Exum had been drafted into the NBA, and were therefore NBA players."

Playing an NBA game is probably a good prerequisite for being an NBA player, and they'd played 0 between them.

Reply #819382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As always LV with the dumbass post when BA have already announced Lemanis isn't interested

Reply #819383 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"And Bairstow and Exum had been drafted into the NBA, and were therefore NBA players."

Playing an NBA game is probably a good prerequisite for being an NBA player, and they'd played 0 between them.
Why is it? They were signed to NBA contracts. That makes them NBA players. If something happened that led the NBA to prevent its players playing, they would not have participated.

Reply #819384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe knows it all is back. Unfortunately.

Reply #819386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of people get drafted, sign contracts but don't play an NBA game. If you haven't played an NBA game, you're not an NBA player by definition. You are an NBA draftee or signing.

Reply #819391 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That's a shame- I wasn't aware.

I'd go Bevo then, if he's available. I recall he had some success with Scotland.

Reply #819400 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:21 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754