Anonymous
Years ago

Olympics basketball is a bust

No NBA players means it's a fail to me. Think commonwealth games but still no nba players. Sounds like a yawn fest.

Especially not interesting to non euro countries. A euro team will mop their floor with anyone.

See you guys for the World Cup discussion thread in 2022.

Topic #47693 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please tell me which euro team will mop the floor over others....

Reply #819132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spain, France, Lithuania to start.

Reply #819136 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Olympic Basketball managed just fine for over half a century without the NBA, I dare say it will survive.
Besides, it had to happen. USA fail to win every 4th Olympics, so they're due. And it will be really interesting to see the depth of some nations without their wunderkinds.

It's not like the Commonwealth games, where most of the top nations are ineligible and others send CBF teams.

Reply #819137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Take away nba players from those teams...

Reply #819138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think 136 has thought about this much.... all teams will be without nba stock.

Reply #819140 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

His point is that countries like Lithuania, Spain, Croatia etc. have extremely talented players in Europe that won't be affected by the NBA schedule. So while virtually every country will be without significant talent, others will have elite-level replacements. So the net-effect is beneficial for these European teams in theory.

USA, Canada, Australia, and maybe even France too will be pretty disadvantaged.

Reply #819152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No euro teams can have an nba guy pulled out with a euro replacement of similar calibre.

Without
Rubio, Gasols, Hernangomezs, ibaka, mirotic
Gobert, batum, Fournier, lessors, poirer, doubouya, Noah, ntilkina, okobo, hoard, howard, hayes, cabortot, mahinmi, mokoka
Valucianis, sabonis

Serbia, Germany also lose a ton of guys.

The Czechs and pols are the only euro teams that lose 1 guy from WC squads.

Reply #819154 | Report this post

tribe  
Years ago

I accept that World Champs and other tournaments wont include teams at full strength, notable team USA (and Ben Simmons for Aus).

But i was really looking forward to seeing the best ever Boomers team (on paper) to finally assemble in Tokyo, and to watch them compete with a near full-strength team USA. Looks like that won't happen, which tbh is quite shattering.

I'd still watch it and enjoy it, but it'l always have an asterix if teams aren't at full strength. Disappointed, olympic basketball is meant to be the pinnacle of international ball :(

Reply #819156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Euro teams will be still close to full strength so they will be tough.

Teams like USA & Australia will struggle as its clear we need NBA talent to compete with the Europeans

Reply #819169 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The outs are big for most teams, sure, but a team like Spain still has Niko Mirotic who would be in the NBA on a great deal if he wanted to. It could have guys like Fernandez and Rodriguez who, while getting on in years, are still NBA quality and instead chose to go back to Europe. Veterans like Llul and Claver.

Spain, France, Serbia, Lithuania and Croatia have such depth in their ranks that they'll dominate an international tournament without nba players

Reply #819171 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think if you can name more than one team that will wipe the floor with everyone else, you're likely to have a competitive and thus entertaining event.

Reply #819174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please list these Spanish and French teams without nba players. The depth is no better than Australia's.

Reply #819180 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Please list these Spanish and French teams without nba players. The depth is no better than Australia's."

They've listed some individuals that are actually good. But outside of that I am not seeing how we're being overwhelmed by these teams. We've got players knocking on the NBA door littering all of the prospective Boomers non-NBA teams that could nullify the effects of 1 or 2 NBA level guys on another team.

Reply #819181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly me,
people who don't even know the depth of those teams.

Reply #819182 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I also think there's a want to compare Euroleague to NBL, and then say "well those guys from Europe are from Euroleague, ergo they must be better".

Well, yes and no. Euroleague is full of imports. The teams are usually almost half import, and half the absolute best European players from all of Europe, not any one particular country. It's entirely unfair to compare the two leagues, and then assume European teams from one single country will wipe the floor with us because of it. These teams will probably have their Mitch Norton or Jason Cadee equivalents coming off the bench that some Lithuanian fan is probably writing through cringed expression about on their own boards.

Reply #819184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wiki depth chart

C Marc Gasol Willy Hernangómez Serge Ibaka
PF Juan Hernangómez Nikola Mirotić Pierre Oriola
SF Rudy Fernández Víctor Claver Joan Sastre
SG Sergio Llull Pau Ribas Álex Abrines
PG Ricky Rubio Sergio Rodríguez Quino Colom

So 4-5 guys + Garuba =and the other new 6'11 pf.

Reply #819185 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

^ arent some of those guys NBA? Ricky Rubio certainly is.

Reply #819187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what I Mean only a fEw guys not in nba.

Reply #819188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the ones that are there are near retirement

Reply #819189 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

For me, I am nowhere near as excited or bouyant about a non-NBA tournament, but when it comes to Boomers chances, I am not writing them off based on oppositions we know little about and the assumption that if they have Euroleague talent anywhere on their roster, they're automatically leagues better than us.

Reply #819193 | Report this post

Tjamu  
Years ago

Regardless of who wins, basketball is still basketball and it is honestly a chance to see some world class quality players being overlooked or forgotten.

Reply #819197 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Olympic basketball is my favourite tournament so I'll be watching regardless of which players are there.

"C Marc Gasol Willy Hernangómez Serge Ibaka
PF Juan Hernangómez Nikola Mirotić Pierre Oriola
SF Rudy Fernández Víctor Claver Joan Sastre
SG Sergio Llull Pau Ribas Álex Abrines
PG Ricky Rubio Sergio Rodríguez Quino Colom

So 4-5 guys + Garuba =and the other new 6'11 pf."

Only 6 of those 15 are in the NBA (and Gasol may well be retired by then anyway)

Reply #819200 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Also, dont sleep on Argentina. They always play good team basketball and none of their 2019 World Cup Silver medal winning squad are in the NBA

Reply #819201 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Argentina would have to be favorites in this situation at this point. But from memory they did have an easy-ish run up to the final, and France basically laid down. But still, they'll be tougher than most out there.

Reply #819202 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah I'd agree with all of that.

The Argentinian basketball team seem to have a great team culture regardless of who is there. Actually it seems even broader than this, I think all of their team sports are the same.

Reply #819203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serbia have depth even without jokic, bogdanovic and marjanovic

Reply #819204 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I forgot about Argentina. They will be dangerous, for sure.

Reply #819226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think everyone is sleeping a bit too much on the USA even without NBA players. Most of the imports in the Euroleague are American players, many of them borderline NBA players. There's also plenty of guys that are in the NBA now that will be cut in favour of rookies. There’s no lack of depth for them. USA would still be heavy favourites.

Reply #819239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canada too also strong without 22 plus nba players.

Reply #819240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serbia would beat a USA leftover team. They take on a full USA team well. It's a proud basketball nation with a team that plays with chemistry. They are legit.

Reply #819241 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Let's have this discussion when we know the games will actually be held.

Reply #819242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^
Good point.

Reply #819243 | Report this post

triton45  
Years ago

the fact is FIBA will be very happy with the NBA decision.
FIBA strategic plan is to make the FIBA World Cup the biggest basketball event, and so by the NBA doing what they are doing is helping FIBA cause. Because it will mean the Olympics importance is decreased and therefore the next World Cup will be huge. So win win for FIBA !!!!

It also helps FIBA because they are very European focused, and would prefer to see the medalists be European teams, who will be less effected by the loss of NBA players.

Dont be surprised if tokyo is the last olympics that full 12 team basketball is played. I reckon it will be 3x3 basketball at the 2024 olympics !!!!!!

Reply #819410 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

FIBA makes money off of both Olympics and World Cup. I doubt they want to cut out one of their cash cows. I heard it's NBA who want to have only one NBA-led tournament every four years because it effects their teams and bottom-line less.

Reply #819434 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Good news is it may longer be a bust. Apparently NBA is now targeting Dec 22 with a 72 game season, meaning NBA and Olympics wont cross paths if this plan goes ahead.

Reply #819569 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Doesn't mean we won’t see swathes opting out of Olympics.

72 games is good, if I had my way we would see conferences gone top 16 and a 60 game season where teams play each other twice (58 games) with set rivals playing four times (making it 60 games).

Ofcourse revenue people at the nba, sponsors and broadcasters would rather walk off a cliff then take that revenue hit.

Reply #819570 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

You might see swathes opt out but I'd say pretty much all Aussies without an S ending with Immons in their last name will put their hand up.

Reply #819572 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Is it just "Me" or me? You ("Me") posted re Simmons in the other thread. I asked then, "Why the comment re Simmons? Only blemish I know of was his relation towards Lemanis. Otherwise, what's the issue?"

Reply #819580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might have to keep practicing his jump shot.

Reply #819582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the fact is FIBA will be very happy with the NBA decision.
FIBA strategic plan is to make the FIBA World Cup the biggest basketball event, and so by the NBA doing what they are doing is helping FIBA cause. Because it will mean the Olympics importance is decreased and therefore the next World Cup will be huge. So win win for FIBA !!!!

It also helps FIBA because they are very European focused, and would prefer to see the medalists be European teams, who will be less effected by the loss of NBA players.

Dont be surprised if tokyo is the last olympics that full 12 team basketball is played. I reckon it will be 3x3 basketball at the 2024 olympics !!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

FIBA and the NBA have been partners for many years. In fact, in recent years the NBA became the biggest vote holder of FIBA's board. They also now collaborate on several club competitions. So FIBA does nothing without the NBA's approval.

And it is actually the NBA that wants to make the Olympics an under-24 tournament and make the World Cup the main competition. That's actually an NBA plan.

Reply #820135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correction, the NBA wants to make the Olympics and under-23 tournament.

Reply #820136 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:13 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754