Red84
Years ago

U18s, Werribee and Covid - Is there a Plan B?

Werribee is a great venue and a worthy host for the U18s and Ken Coombs tourneys. It was a good decision when announced in Oct 2019. Since then Covid has arrived which has changed everything.
Despite encouraging signs of progress in Victoria there appears be a pool of undetected infections which could trigger a third wave should the weather turn cold, as it can (being Melbourne) mid April when the tourney is due to be held.
Does anyone have any idea as to whether Basketball Aust has a plan B in place? This - I presume - must involve moving the tourneys out of Vic.

Topic #47698 | Report this topic

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

What's this about "undetected infections"?

Reply #819359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystery cases with no known origin. There is an article discussing people in the community who have COVID but do not know it or haven't chosen to be tested

Reply #819362 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Detected in sewerage.

Reply #819363 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

not to mention that health experts reckon there's always at least twenty people in the community with symptoms who won't get tested or stay home because they can't be stuffed, can't afford to stay away from work, fear isolation or discrimination or embarrassment or harassment, belong to the Liberal Party, etc etc.

Reply #819368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are the majority of BA events in Victoria now?

Reply #819376 | Report this post

Hello BSA  
Years ago

Quality of facilities and money.

Reply #819378 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Global experience suggests those regions that had higher infection rates in the first wave (Italy, Spain, UK, US) are more prone to infection flare ups after suppression efforts end.
If a second wave takes place in Australia, it will likely be in metro Victoria. BA needs to consider moving the U18s out of metro Vic. It is easier to control infections where Vic teams travel interstate than have players from low/no infection states travel to metro Vic.
As of late Oct they still have time to consider a plan B. Hoping is not a strategy.

Reply #819645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course they will move it if necessary.

Reply #819646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just ban the ethnic groups that keep breaking the rules in Metro Vic that keep having the same issues and have done throughout the second wave.

Reply #819647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look I hope you're trolling but I'll bite anyway. It's becoming increasingly clear that the management of communication with second language speakers or those with limited English altogether in Melbourne has been woeful. I'm less clear on the relative merits of the contact tracing schemes, but the decentralised delivery of public health in NSW has meant that their messaging is better tailored to individual communities, and that seems to have been a factor in better outcomes. Laying the blame with people who are not being given clear instructions and doing it in a racially charged way makes it pretty clear what type of person you are.

As for the basketball, I'm not convinced that Nationals should be a priority next year. I would like to see all local, regional and state competitions up and running before we worry about shipping kids from all over the country. It's not in the best interests of kids to be rushing back to high intensity training and Victoria, at least, lacks the time to gradually ramp up and then fully prepare for an April tournament. I'm not Victorian, and I think there's an argument for running the event without them. But given the potential disruption of other outbreaks, I think kids would be better off focusing on smaller events rather than keeping their fingers crossed for something major and then missing out again.

Reply #819659 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:22 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754