BeeGee
Years ago

Nine launches new sports service

Could this be a good opportunity for the NBL to lock in an exclusive deal with Channel 9?

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/streaming/nine-launches-stan-sport-following-rugby-union-deal/news-story/009c19cbc7511bdd87668c990f2e7133

Streaming service Stan has launched a sports-only channel in an attempt to expand its product offering in the highly competitive video-on-demand market.

In a statement lodged to the Australian Stock Exchange on Monday, owners Nine Entertainment said the major streaming service would begin offering an on-demand sport streaming service as a bundle to Stan customers.

The launch of Stan Sport coincides with an agreement between Nine and Rugby Australia for the broadcasting rights for all Wallabies and Wallaroos games for the next three years.

Worth approximately $100 million, the deal also gives Nine the right to extend the rugby union agreement for another two years.

Streaming service Stan has launched a sports-only channel Picture: Jono Searle
Streaming service Stan has launched a sports-only channel Picture: Jono SearleSource:Getty Images

The deal will include trans-Tasman matches, South African competitions and Super Rugby games.

Nine's decision to initiate a dedicated sports-on-demand product is in direct competition with sports streaming service Kayo, which is owned by Foxtel.

In its statement, Nine said the rugby union agreement was a core element of Stan Sport, which is also seeking to acquire similar rights with other major sports.

"Further to rugby union, Nine is progressing opportunities to invest in additional exclusive sports rights, focusing on driving its long-term subscriber growth and profitability objectives," Nine said.

Nine wholly acquired Stan following its merger with Fairfax Media in 2018.

Topic #47745 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Basically Channel Nine's sports contracts.

Perhaps it's looking at NRL (maybe not?), Rugby Union, Tennis, Netball

Reply #820559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully LK and team get on the phone, not personally a fan of nine but would be willing to part with my hard earned for a quality sports Chanel, not most of the crap on fox sports or there exorbitant prices.

Reply #820573 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Because if there's anything that's suited to low-bitrate video, it's sports.

Reply #820574 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Really it depends on the kind of contracts Channel Nine holds/others don't hold.

Even NRL there may be exclusive streaming rights for Foxtel?

Obviously there will be Rugby Union as that rights deal was accompanied with this announcement - they do stream the tennis on NineNow so perhaps that will be streamed on Stan Sports instead.

Netball they have some rights to along with Telstra.

Reply #820584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every game of NRL (except the Grand Final) will be on Foxtel until 2028. Nine do have streaming rights to their games though (until 2023 when their rights are up). So doubt they'll get any NRL on Stan.

The NBL has a good relationship with SBS (which streams every game free along with Twitch) and also has some games on ESPN which is adjacent to where the general Australian sports nut would look for sport, even better positioned to find the NBA fan. Better than putting it behind a $14 paywall that the general sports nut won't pay (unless they're already paying for Stan, even then are they opening Stan to watch sport?).

Reply #820605 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Oh look, yet another streaming service. Plus even more live sport that will now actually be delayed. Woohoo.

A lucky break for union however as they had nowhere left to go after the pirate lady (since sacked) burned Rugby Australia's bridges with Fox and no other existing broadcaster was seriously interested.

Reply #820614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Because if there's anything that's suited to low-bitrate video, it's sports."

Sports on Kayo is pretty good

Reply #820637 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Sports on Kayo are inferior to sports on actual TV.

Reply #820639 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yeah, just what we need, another overpriced poor quality streaming service, with maybe one thing of interest, and a pile of crap.
I'm not a huge Rugby fan, so it would be a miss for me anyway, but even Kayo is crap.
I subscribed to Kayo for AFL and NBL, and even for AFL (The biggest sport in the country) the service is rubbish.
Mostly what you get is simply a straight dump of the FTA telecast, complete with ads, and worse yet it's the Melbourne FTA broadcast with Melbourne Ads.
It's so poorly not-edited, that when you call up a replay of a game, it will start with 5 minutes of whatever crap they were broadcasting before the telecast started. Like somebody set the timer wrong on the VCR.

The bitrate is up and down like a yoyo, and even on a small screen the quality is rubbish.

Reply #820643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL has no one watch it so these streaming companies won't pay.

NBL ceo said a deal not far away for last 3 years!

CEO should go!

Reply #820647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah because there has been no tv coverage the last 3 years has there?

Reply #820652 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

As a rugby fan I'm glad to see them get a deal somewhere, and for the first time there will be some super rugby on FTA which is a win. The bulk of the money for super rugby tv deals was from South Africa and there's a chance that SA eventually move their club competitions into the European comps (better for timezones etc) which will really hurt super rugby and could result in a much small comp overall.

For other sports, Foxtel still owns most of the streaming rights to almost all of the other sports so I wouldnt expect a lot of announcements of deals for Stan any time soon, but it'll come eventually.

Reply #820684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess the NBL need to create interest in the game some how so perhaps we'll see them trying to create publicity by other means to build interest.

Reply #820708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If nbl needs publicity maybe they should start to put a draw and start to let supporters know what's happening, even better get season started.

Reply #820717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They simply can't. Nobody is starting a season unless full bums on seats is allowed. Clubs would go broke. No vaccine = no full crowds = no season.

Reply #820719 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Australia is in a unique position where elimination is theoretically possible (assuming effective hotel quarantine)

I know we were looking good in June before Victoria became a second wave mega spike; but at the moment we have 28 local active cases in NSW and 4 in Victoria and that's it nationally.

In 3-4 weeks time I think we will have a decent idea as to whether we have a stubborn tail or whether the hammer has put us in a good position for bubble transit with NZ and close to full crowd allowance.

Third wave prediction is March (that’s what hospitals are preparing for) which would interfere with the NBL should it not be eliminated.

Reply #820742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#719 Adelaide are allowed 5000 at their game v Brisbane Friday. "No vaccine = no full crowds = no season" this assertion is simply wrong.

Reply #820744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sports on Kayo are inferior to sports on actual TV."

TV is almost all in the range of 2.5 - 4.2 kbps and Kayo averages 6 assuming you select HD.

Reply #820745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And that would be great if all games were played in Adelaide. They are not.

Reply #820746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's an indication of what will occur across the country. You must be fun at parties

Reply #820747 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

TV is almost all in the range of 2.5 - 4.2 kbps and Kayo averages 6 assuming you select HD.
I'm feeling charitable so I'll give you two hours to retract this.

Reply #820759 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

There is plenty of charity given by others allowing you to post on here given the way you talk Kobe, glad to see you returning the favour.

Reply #820760 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Your two hours are up. Here is the opening video package from the past NBL season, encoded at 5kbps. The suggestion that broadcast TV is at even lower quality than this is absurd.

Reply #820787 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So now there will be:

Optus Sport
Kayo Sports
DAZN (launching December 2020)
Stan Sport (launching January 2021)

There is a ridiculous amount of fragmentation now with even more yet to come no doubt.

In theory at least the NBL will always be able to find a platform.

Reply #820788 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Congratulations on going hyper aggressive over an obvious typo. The poster clearly meant mbps.

Reply #820791 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And they would still be wrong, as Fox's sports channels operate at 6-12Mbps.

Reply #820795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm no expert on bitrates, but I know that kayo is much better quality than the clip kobe posted above. So I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to suggest that will be the quality we would see.

Reply #820809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't dare challenge Kobe he knows it all and is never worng cos he tells us so.

Reply #820884 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:54 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754