Isaac
Years ago

Bucks trade for Jrue Holiday and Bogdan Bogdanovic

After executing the Holiday trade late Monday, the Bucks and Kings reached agreement in principle on a sign-and-trade that'll bring Bogdanovic and Justin James to the Bucks, sources said.

The Kings acquire versatile forward Donte DiVincenzo, D.J. Wilson and Ersan Ilyasova.
As part of the trade for Holiday, Milwaukee is sending New Orleans a package that includes Eric Bledsoe, George Hill and three first-round picks, sources said.

The trade also includes a pair of pick swaps and will ultimately amount to something similar to what the Pelicans received from the Lakers last season in the deal that sent Anthony Davis to Los Angeles.
Wow. Big moves.

Topic #47776 | Report this topic

Cram  
Years ago

NOLA made out like bandits here. I don't think its a bad move for Milwaukee - Holiday is a good fit there - but the Pels got maximum value. Would expect they'll move on at least one of Hill and Bledsoe for something of value too. Probably Hill.

The Bucks have officially gone all in. I think Jrue is a great fit as a good team man that can take over, play both ends and make big plays.

Reply #821577 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I really respect Holiday's character and talent, but this is a terrible deal for the Bucks.

Going all-in to compete and retain Giannis is one thing, but this is very similar to what the Cavaliers and Rockets have done in recent memory: fork out 1st round picks too haphazardly. The lack of picks and large salaries on the books prevents them from making future trades to improve the roster.

Giannis could re-sign, but could also seriously question this team's ability to compete in the future with so few assets and cap space, and force his way out like so many have before him.

One 1st round pick and a pick swap, plus Bledsoe and Hill seems fair for Holiday. This is looking a lot like what New Orleans received for AD - ludious!

Reply #821580 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

ludicrous*

Reply #821581 | Report this post

Tjamu  
Years ago

Playmaker, you raise a valid point RE: 1st rounders, but can you blame a team in genuine win now mode? If you go all in and youre a 45 win team, you'll look stupid., but the City of Milwaukee hasnt had a chance like this in a couple decades.and it could be few and far between drinks post-Giannis.

I think this is the right move for them given just how close they are to winning. adding a 20 a night 2 way star to pair with Middleton in the back court is unreal. If they retain Wes Matthews or go and grab a servicable wing in the buyout market to chuck next to Giannis and Brook Lopez. Theyre on.

I mean, do they look at something like Holiday, Danny Green, Middleton, Giannis, Lopez or try keep Matthews? or do they look out of left field for a SG/SF type that does nothing but shoot threes and guard a perimiter guy.

Giannis needed Holiday. Bledsoe is great, but Jrue is essentially the better version of the same archetype

Reply #821582 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I don't believe this trade is the difference between the Buck's losing in the 2nd round and winning a title, but now it has to be. Unless the perfect opportunity presents itself, I don't see what else they can do to improve the roster this season or in the near-future.

The Heat, Celtics, Raptors, 76ers and Nets are all legitimate contenders in the East. Not to mention the Lakers, Clippers and Warriors if Milwaukee actually make the finals.

Reply #821585 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Word is Giannis signed off on the deal, so thats important.

The Bucks are gonna be in a world of hurt and a full tear down if/when Giannis leaves, so the downside isnt "disaster" its only "worse disaster". On the flip side, the deal DOES make them better and I think, pending other moves around the edges, a genuine contender. And if they convince Giannis to stay, all those late first round picks are WELL worth it

Reply #821586 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Bucks are going all they're now getting Bogdan Bogdanovic in a sign and trade with Sacramaneto.

Milwaukee are acquiring Bogdan Bogdanovic and Justin James from the Sacramento Kings in a sign-and-trade, with Donte DiVincenzo, Ersan Ilyasova and D.J. Wilson heading west in the deal, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2918391-report-kings-bogdan-bogdanovic-to-be-pursued-by-bucks-after-jrue-holiday-trade

The Rockets have also traded Robert Covington to Portland for 2 x First Rd picks and Trevor Ariza.

Reply #821589 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Okay, that's a significant upgrade between Holiday and Bogdanovic. I still think Milwaukee pays overs on Holiday, but it makes sense that they were determined to make a deal with other dominoes set to fall.

Reply #821591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bledsoe isn't great btw.
Now the Bucks have to fill out bench with some veterans chasing a ring. If they're expecting Kyle Korver to contribute much more than 10mpg, they're in trouble. Improves them, but if Nets get Harden and D'Antoni sorts out an offence for him and KD and Nash convinces Kyrie to be a distributor, then look out.
Then whatever Celtics get for Heyward, they could be a major problem. If it's Indiana and Turner and Oladipo, it gets rid of a guy that plays Brown and Tatum's position and adds needs.

Reply #821608 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Ersan not on the Bucks just ain't right. Will need to get himself back there somehow as soon as possible.

Reply #821669 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:40 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754