Isaac
Years ago

John Wall buying ownership stake in SEM Phoenix

"[Stein] John Wall is buying an ownership stake in the South East Melbourne Phoenix (@SEMelbPhoenix) in Australia's @NBL, @NYTSports has learned Wall joins an ownership group headed by LA-based entrepreneur Romie Chaudhari and featuring several current and past NBA players"

Topic #47796 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Wonder how much capital all these NBA players provide for the club

Reply #822273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Genuine question: what's in it for the players? Obviously, the clubs and NBL get a lot (marketing, exposure, recognition etc if not $). But if you’re a player why are you doing this? I don’t think NBL teams yield great returns (if anything!) and there’s limited capital growth in a relatively small market.

Reply #822276 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Genuine question: what's in it for the players? Obviously, the clubs and NBL get a lot (marketing, exposure, recognition etc if not $). But if you're a player why are you doing this? I don’t think NBL teams yield great returns (if anything!) and there’s limited capital growth in a relatively small market.

I could be wrong but I think a lot of players like the idea of owning/part owning a club because they love basketball.

It's a bit of a hobby for them. They learn about how business works too. They aren't in it for the money

Reply #822278 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That's right they get to brag to everyone they know they part-own a basketball team and at the same time have the opportunity to learn how to run a sports team for the future when they're retired it might be an avenue they wish to go down.

Reply #822279 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It doesn't hurt to establish a working relationship with the likes of Chowdri

Reply #822289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They don't contribute any capital...its effectively a gift for marketing.

Reply #822290 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Do they actually do any marketing

Reply #822293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many of them are ever here to "hey learn about how business works" I call BS on that suggestion.

Reply #822294 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

It's not huge money for them compared to what they get paid, so is it something of a tax concession for these guys as it is an instant loss on earnings.

Reply #822295 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I honestly wonder if any of these players put actual money into this or its more the case of we will give you 5% ownership for a few shoutouts and a visit once a year.

Reply #822296 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I would be surprised if it were even as high as 5%.

Reply #822297 | Report this post

Gay Rordon  
Years ago

I have it on good authority that all the big time NBA guys get quite a fair bit in return for allowing their name to be used for clout chasing by the Phoenix.

-FREE subscription to NBL TV valued at $5 AUD per month

-An SEM Phoenix goodie bag with awesome merch. Can you really put a value on a game worn Adnam or Stephens jersey? Or a "game worn" Armstrong one that smells like it hasn't got a drop of sweat on it?

-25% of all purchases made at the stadium cafeteria. That's less than a hundy for 2x beers and a hotdog.

It's really quite a deal.

Reply #822299 | Report this post

Gay Rordon  
Years ago

I have it on good authority that all the big time NBA guys get quite a fair bit in return for allowing their name to be used for clout chasing by the Phoenix.

-FREE subscription to NBL TV valued at $5 AUD per month

-An SEM Phoenix goodie bag with awesome merch. Can you really put a value on a game worn Adnam or Stephens jersey? Or a "game worn" Armstrong one that smells like it hasn't got a drop of sweat on it?

-25% of all purchases made at the stadium cafeteria. That's less than a hundy for 2x beers and a hotdog.

It's really quite a deal.

Reply #822300 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Serious question - are WNBA clubs worth more than NBL clubs?

Reply #822309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C'mon, it's like a bunch of blokes buying a 1/20th share in a racehorse for a grand or so. Guy at work bragged how he owned a racehorse, then came clean. I think it's best finish is 7th in 5 starts, won't be long before it's in a tin of chum.
Be exactly the bragging rights Wall and others will have, I own a pro basketball team in league where Melo hooped. Unfortunately for him the Phoenix will probably have the same return of the horse.

Reply #822311 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Very few clubs if any make money these days.

So the driver to own a club (partial or wholly) isn't for wealth creation.

Its probably a hobby, but nonetheless it is great to have John Wall's name join the NBL.

Reply #822315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Michael Harris played more minutes for Sixers last season than Walls played in last 2 years.
And apparently he's outraged that Washington announced they're building around Beal so demanded a trade.

Reply #822322 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

Think this is a great thing for the NBL and the club. So what if an NBA star wants to attach themselves to a product. Shows the confidence and faith in where the league is positioned globally and the clubs direction. It's good thing for the NBL and the Phoenix. Celebs buy into brands for a whole lot of reasons, including it being a vehicle to other business introductions and partnerships.

Reply #822348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Wall found some loose change in the back of his sofa and donated it to his new team.

Reply #822361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Celebs buy into brands for a whole lot of reasons, including it being a vehicle to other business introductions and partnerships."
So how will this play out if they are never here?

Reply #822379 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

"So how will this play out if they are never here?"

Will hardly matter, now. With all the "virtuality" going on through-out the business, personal, sports and any other world.

Reply #822402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think that Virtual stuff helps in this case. You need to be hands on IMO to gain that experience.

Reply #822405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't need to be onsite to network. Think of who else is in the Phoenix ownership group that might open doors for him.

Reply #822406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh it was learning to run a business earlier.

Reply #822433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Childress, Wall, Exum, have money in, who else.

Reply #822445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zach Randolph too.

Reply #822666 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754