Perthworld
Years ago

Jesse Wagstaff named Wildcats captain

Thought he should retire, now he has been appointed captain. Thoughts?

Topic #47966 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will captain the worst Wildcats side in years to a bottom 2 finish.

Reply #827330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norto

Reply #827340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thoughts? None.

Reply #827342 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Hardly surprising.

I guess the bigger question is who could be the long-term replacement?

They've named Snort'n Norton as VC, so perhaps that's an indication?

Reply #827349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the other club captains?

Reply #827370 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

There was no other option really, so good to see him get a year as the leader before he likely hangs up the boots. I'd say if they can get Kay back then he'd be in line for future long term captain, otherwise Norton I guess.

Reply #827371 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Wagstaff is the most logical choice given his tenure with the club, the only thing against his selection would have been he is close to retiring (I don't know his contract situation).

Rather than choose a player for 1-2 seasons, they could have chosen someone younger but there is such a big gap between Wagstaff and anyone else.

Congratulations to Wagstaff.

Reply #827385 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Final year of Wagstaff's contract only Cotton & Blanchfield are under contract for next season, excluding DP's.

When are Perth going to complete their roster, still one spot to go?

Reply #827387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kickett is captain of the kings I've heard. Creek Phoenix,

Reply #827391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a way better idea to have an old head captain a club than to put the pressure on someone that isn't up to it. Even if its only for a year, they can identify potential leaders this season and look to promote them next season.
Its a matter of finding a player that has basically conceded his career will be in the NBL and not liable to head somewhere else year to year.
TBH, don't know how much of a leader Cotton is, but would have thought he would been a contender.

Reply #827397 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

'Well, you can flop like I tell you to, or you don't flop at all.'Capitain Wagstaff

Reply #827398 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Cotton's relatively quiet and soft-spoken.
From the little I have seen, he seems very genuine,and a team guy, but not a natural leader.

Reply #827415 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It had to be Norton or Wagstaff, there were no other genuine options.

Interesting how the "Captain" is basketball is barely spoken about, but in footy it's a big deal. Maybe cos the coach is seen to have more control in basketball, closer to the players during the game, calls time outs regularly, whereas in footy there's a greater perceived need for in game leadership.

Reply #827456 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Cotton doesn't need the extra pressure of captaincy, I'm sure he could do it, the way he plays oozes leadership, but why chuck the extra responsibility on his shoulders when he already has enough especially this season without as much offensive help.

Reply #827457 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah the captain role in hoops really isnt nearly as big of a deal as it is in other sports.

Cricket is where Captain obviously means the most. Rugby its big as well as they're the one the ref will talk to about discipline etc (supposed to be the same in association football too, but clearly that doesn't work). Aussie Rules you're leading 22 players out on to the field and trying to lead them off the field as well.

In basketball theres just not that same clear role for a captain. As said above, the coach is able to provide a lot more input and its also a much smaller group.

I think there's also a cultural difference from North American sports where it isnt a big role. The only one of the major leagues where I ever see anyone talking about captains is in Hockey.

Reply #827459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Captains set the standard in basketball, on and off the floor. Coaches do have closer say in basketball but captain still very important.

Reply #827466 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Are they though? I wouldnt be able to tell you one NBA captain. I mean I could guess at who it might be or should be, but I don't KNOW any. I'd wager a lot don't even have one and rely on informal team "leaders" rather than an appointed one.

Reply #827468 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Yeah captain means more in Australian basketball and other sports, but in the NBA it's the "Star" who's the leader and the vets in the locker room to the most extent. Captain's aren't really a thing in the US.

Reply #827475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably wrong, but isn't the captain the only player that can officially approach the refs to explain something on the court? Of course it gets done by a lot of other players, but refs can basically tell them to get lost, whereas as captain they can talk to them civilly in most cases about things. That's about the only real power I believe the captain has apart from leadership amongst the team.

Reply #827477 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Senator, yeah thats it. The team's star player tends to be the default leader and then other veterans naturally assume a leadership position, but nothing formal.

Anon 477 yeah even that "power" is I think only on a league by league basis. I've played in plenty of rec leagues that have had rules like this but others that don't. Its clear no such rule exists in the NBA.

Clearly NBL teams having a captain is more of a result of the Australian sporting culture rather than the culture of the game itself and it probably varies from team to team. The Wildcats seem to be one of the teams that really promotes that and that has clearly worked for them so thats great. I think Wagstaff is a good choice.

Reply #827479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A captain in basketball is more of a an off court culture setting role. Within the wildcats this is obviously an important position given their strong historical culture. On court captains tend to lead by example.

Reply #827481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Kevvy White could have done it, had the experience at sixers!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #827484 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

One time ago, I played. Numbers were 4 to 15 and Captain wore number 4 and could speak to the refs about a decision.
While Boti Nagy reckoned the Captain had to start

Reply #827498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slow news day today guys?

Reply #827542 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Who are the other club captains?

Apparently DJ has been appointed Sixers captain. It's amazing in a bad way.

Reply #827553 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

In Grid Iron, it's almost always the quarter back that is the default captain from what I've seen.

As for this selection, wasn't Norton captain at Townsville at 23 years of age and yet years later, he hasn't got the experience yet?

As for a basketball captain, I feel like Vlahov was that leader that would do something to turn the momentum in a game, yes not an official role but the captain's play feels like something that they should be responsible for.

Reply #827555 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Vlahov is a great example of the play you need by a captain. Meanwhile DJ is the total opposite of that.

Reply #827625 | Report this post

DJ has been great in Sixers opening games.

Reply #828235 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:17 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754