NBL MAN
Years ago

Next Stars Rules and Clarity

Okay so everyone knows a next star can be the 11th roster spot.
The NBL pays for the next star so not at the club salary.
If the team nominates to sign a next star, ( for example John Mooney I know he isn't) If Perth had nominated John Mooney as a next star he'd have to pass on each club that had a next star spot, he could've gone to Sydney if they wanted him. MU or SEM if they wanted him. Basically, John would interview all the teams interested.
Also it's a two year deal with an NBA drafted out clause in first year or a call up for draft and stash player.

Any more questions let me know

Topic #48005 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

whether or not Mooney could have been a next star still has me puzzled. i know liam santamaria said he could have been but i doubt the wildcats applied to the nbl to make Mooney a next star, got approved then got cold feet cause they feared he might choose another team at the last minute.

any other reason they wouldnt have wanted him to be a next star?

Reply #828870 | Report this post

NBL MAN  
Years ago

The honestly thought Cotton would be naturalised tbh covid may have had a role. The wildcats wanted him as an import to not take that risk of a sem or mu picking him up or even Brisbane

Reply #828880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there is no clarity on this one...

I expect DJ to be signed as a next star soon

Reply #828883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next stars are paid 100k... surely Mooney wouldn't have signed for 100k. Wouldnt that be the reason there?

Reply #828886 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The honestly thought Cotton would be naturalised tbh covid may have had a role.

What? Any delay in citizenship has nothing to do with COVID.

Reply #828890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL pays the next star $100k - but the clubs can top that up outside of the salary cap

Reply #828894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But Giddey is only here because the 36ers took Humphries at a massive deal ( same agent)

I dont buy into the suggestion that Next Stars are made available to every club. Giddey was coming to Adelaide no matter what.

Reply #828904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Perth got a next star like Giddey the forum would go into meltdown.

Reply #828905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next Stars are available to everyone, well Giddeys agent made sure he went somewhere to make sure he gets minutes and opportunity ... him going to any other team would've limited that look at the other rosters guards

Reply #828907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same as Ball last season, went to where he knew he was starting and getting game time.

Reply #828908 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"If Perth had nominated John Mooney as a next star he'd have to pass on each club that had a next star spot"

Reply #828909 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yep. We needed another next stars thread

Reply #828911 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"If Perth had nominated John Mooney as a next star he'd have to pass on each club that had a next star spot"

No, that simply isn't how it works.

Whether we agree with the concept, the idea behind "Next Star" is to promote the League. It's not just an excuse to get another player.
ie: There must be some basis for considering the player a future NBA star.

The criteria was that they be eligible for the NEXT NBA draft. It has never been expressly stated, but I think is reasonable to suspect that the league applies some quality control. eg they make sure the player is actually a reasonable prospect, and clubs can't simply sign any kid they like.

The criteria was expanded to include "Stashed" NBA draftees. Whilst it stunk that Sydney was again the First team to get an advantage, it is within the aims of the program. ie: They are a future NBA star.

Players who went in the draft but were not drafted are not eligible, for the obvious reason. (The League might in future allow a genuine 19yr old prospect who nominated a year too early)???
So no, Mooney was not eligible.
Neither was, say, Wani Swaka, because even though he might have been technically eligible for the Draft, his chances were zip. The League knocked back another young Aussie that had a couple of clubs interested.

Giddey was highly rated and considered a genuine chance, hence why he qualifies.

Reply #828912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did SEM's next star play at all last season?

Reply #828914 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

^Good Point, but I don't know how highly rated he was beforehand??
It may also have been a slight concession to SEM.

I suppose the other point may be, that when a Young American star makes the call to turn pro immediately, there is an assumption that he agents have positive indications.

It could also be somewhat of a gamble by the NBL.
For the NBL, the "dream" scenario is to take a lowly rated player and turn him into a Top Ten Draftee

Reply #828917 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What? Any delay in citizenship has nothing to do with COVID.
Gleeson's saying otherwise in today's paper.

Reply #828922 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The newspaper article KR is referring to......

Perth Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson has admitted the club's recruiting tactics for the 2021 season were based on the belief that superstar Bryce Cotton would be naturalised, and revealed those delays have now cost them former NBA centre Miles Plumlee’s signature.

The Wildcats’ season will start on Sunday when they play South East Melbourne Phoenix at RAC Arena. Numerous NBL pundits have tipped the Wildcats will miss the play-offs for the first time since 1986 and questioned the structure of their roster.

Perth have been eagerly waiting for updates on Cotton’s citizenship application given Plumlee agreed to return as their second import once that occurred. Last season’s championship centre spent 2020 living in Queensland with his Australian girlfriend, but is no longer willing to keep his life on hold.

"The last time I talked to Miles was just after Christmas and he’s going travelling for a year," Gleeson explained.

“He’s going to take a year off, put the backpack on and get going. Obviously we can’t guarantee him anything until we have a position open. We can’t do that at the moment.

“I was confident it was going to get done before the start of the season. We’re talking about a year ago. Bryce applied for it in July 2019 so you would hope it wouldn’t take two years to get through.

“Obviously with COVID, everything shut down and the approvals went down. Our hands are really tied by those decisions. There’s not much we can do about it. It’s just be patient and wait and hope it comes through.”

Perth were so confident that Cotton would be an Australian that they didn’t utilise the NBL’s Next Stars program.

NBA draftees LaMelo Ball and RJ Hampton headed last season’s Next Star crop and multiple clubs have signed exciting youngsters under the rule for 2021. “In hindsight and if we could take it back, we probably would have pushed harder for that Next Star position,” Gleeson said.

Gleeson remains bullish they will challenge for the championship. Cotton could still be naturalised mid-season, allowing Perth to recruit another import for the remaining games.

But Gleeson admitted that wouldn’t guarantee they’d sign another player.

“It’s not like in the old days where you just jump on the plane and get out here,” he said.

“I guess the blessing part is we still don’t know when the end of the season is. So, if the season keeps on getting pushed back until May, it gives us a better chance of bringing another player in.”

Reply #828929 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Thanks for that.

Reply #828932 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Obviously with COVID, everything shut down and the approvals went down."

“Obviously, Government, everything is slow and inefficient”

Corrected, Gleeson

Reply #828941 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Well said.

Reply #828946 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If everything is always slow and inefficient, that's reflected in the average time from application to citizenship already. It's been significantly longer than that with no approval.

Reply #828952 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's been business as usual from what I've seen. The processing offices are in Adelaide and Hobart, not Melbourne. Gleeson would be guessing at what the delay is.

Reply #828954 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Everyone's guessing, but it's not an unreasonable guess and it's now six months over the average wait time so something seems to be holding it up.

Reply #828956 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Serious response to obvious humour post, classic KR

Reply #828960 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

There obviously is a reason for the delay but it wouldn't be COVID. The processing of applications is done by paper pushers in Adelaide and Hobart where it has been business as usual throughout the pandemic.

In fact I know someone who has their citizenship ceremony on Tuesday and the application was lodged in August, with confirmation received in December.

Reply #828963 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's all speculation, but you could find that Covid has caused other delays that impact the process. If it takes 2 years to process some, I imagine there must be more to it, simply a one desk process.
It could also be that Covid has increased the number of applicants.
Or created a surge in more urgent applications such as visa, which has pulled staff away from other duties.

The other issue is that the government now uses a lot of non-permanent contract roles, to make their workforce more flexible and adaptable.
And I can tell you that during Covid the federal government did stop renewing contracts, in order to save money, including in departments experiencing increased demand.
My daughter is a former AFP Intelligence Officer, and had a contract doing Intelligence work for DHS. At the peak of covid, they decided that was nolonger a priority.

Reply #829106 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:59 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754