Knowall
Years ago

High school players in the ANBL

Just wondering if there are any high schools in NZ or Australia that can match the number of players from NZ Auckland high school Westlake Boys. They currently have at least 6 players 4 at Breakers, 1 at SEM and 1 at Cairns

Topic #48010 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

ANBL? Never heard of it.

Reply #829178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lake ginninderra Probably

Reply #829199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Rhys Vague went through Willetton, I'm sure plenty of WA based juniors did too.

Reply #829203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney boys had three, down to two now.

Reply #829205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld has no idea (again). Google it.

Reply #829215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trinity college with the great Koen Sapwell at cairns.

Reply #829233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Perthworld was being a try hard as usual.

Reply #829241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville High School would have a fair few players who have played in the NBL at one stage or another over the years

Reply #829257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth world, you never heard of the ANBL?
Where tf have you been?

Reply #829279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Living in mothers basement in the Joondalup area.

Reply #829290 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Many of the large, well funded private schools claim talented players when they achieve selection/honors, as if the school was primarily responsible for their development and success. We see such references in this thread. In some cases - this may be true. But too often, the private schools are recruiting talent that has already been developed, usually by poorly paid coaches in regional clubs. Shout out to them and to the cause of regional basketball.

Reply #829303 | Report this post

Knowall  
Years ago

Seems in Aussie the majority of development is done by clubs where as in NZ its school base

Reply #829321 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Correct, it is associated based. High school is irrelevant here. However even kids get poached and move clubs nowadays so hard to point to who actually developed them.

Reply #829327 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Well said red84.

I thought this was going to be about how many high school players make the NBL and current ones etc... that would have been a fun topic too

Reply #829505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have always thought the NBL need to do a better job in promoting where a player is from. Like in AFL when a Joe Smith is drafted from Calder Cannons, or in the NBA, Michael Jordan from North Carolina.

Although I admit it would be hard to pinpoint places considering the club hopping done nowadays.

Reply #829687 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

I wonder if its difficult to have an Aus equivalent of the 'Westlake Boys/2000s basketball' piece because of the AIS. Top sporting prospects would not be attending their local high school - they'd be brought into the AIS fold.

Reply #829873 | Report this post

Knowall  
Years ago

What age do the players go to the AIS and is there any schools that have their students consistently being awarded scholarships to attend the AIS. The connection with AIS and Westlake is strong Mark Jackson who set up the program at Westlake based a lot of the school basketball curriculum around the Institutes programs

Reply #829940 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:32 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754