Jack Toft
Years ago

Adelaide v NZ Jan27

It's rematch time and last game went to OT, so let's hope we have another close one. It's been hot on and off the court. Apparently there's also a heatwave in Canterbury with the mercury climbing to 30..

Isaac Humphries was the difference in that game. 24 points and 11 boards was too much for the Breakers, with Tai Webster scoring 34 points and 8 assists making it hard work for the Sixers in return. Giddey's return didn't see him contribute much on the scoreboard but like a Biden supporter, Sixers fans will be hoping for more.

But NZ is the Pacific's three stars, and can the Sixers defend New Zealand? or is that a job for God? Webster and Delany are obviously going to have to be watched, as is Abba. 13 fast break points and 25 points off of turnovers tells me that once they get possession, they are faster in transition than a jet boat on the Shooter River. You can try to chase 'em down, but the Sixers need to make their passes crisper than the batter on fish and chips from Dunedin's Mr Chippy to get those turnovers down.

My kiss of death goes to the Breakers

Topic #48023 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Corey Webster has been cleared to play.

Reply #829688 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Double Webster, as deadly as double Chappells

Reply #829691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depends on the refs. If it's the same 3 muppets as last game then Sixers will win again.

Reply #829695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any underarm foul shots?

Reply #829698 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If Corey's playing there might not be enough basketballs on the Breakers for everyone not named Webster.

Sixers by 5

Reply #829699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ to win by 6.

Reply #829700 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Despite snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, NZ should be a hell of a lot better after getting a game under their belts.

The Breakers big concern again will be how Loe, Delaney & Iverson deal with DJ & Humphries without constantly fouling.

Reply #829705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey Webster will be difficult for Adelaide because they couldn't contain the younger brother who is a better creator but far worse scorer.

It will be interesting to see how Iverson responds. Man he has got an absolute trashing in the media and social media. I haven’t seen that before from Breakers fans. He either steps up or goes home.

Reply #829706 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

NZB by 15

Their performance showed that they were first game into the season - and without Corey Webster and a struggling import. So much upside for a team that should have won game 1.

Reply #829708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Zealand should have this, although the Johnson & Humprhies show caused a major problem for them.

Good point above around Iverson, I'm sure he will improve but last week where he didn't achieve a whole bunch but fouled heaps. THe issue was he replaced a guy that fouled heaps but also achieved a lot. One would also assume Ashley would be a cheaper player with existing team chemistry.

Reply #829711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm just looking forward to eat humble pie again if Humphries keeps playing at this standard. I like what I see from Adelaide and think this will be close again. Sixers by 1.

Reply #829715 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

the game should be good. I'm hoping Humphries will continue to dominate around the key. That then leaves the open court and the Sixers looked sluggish and unable to match the tempo of the Breakers last game. If the Sixers can get on top of the fast breaks and use the clock, they will be in with a chance

Reply #829717 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

No Dillon tonight so Mud might get thrown onto one or both Websters.

Reply #829726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#726 and get totally mauled

Reply #829727 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

How come Dillon's out?

Reply #829728 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think some of their good players got cramp, last game.
So, will be better, this game'
Nevertheless, expecting a close one. Hopefully overtime.
Our Imports might get forty.

Reply #829731 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree, it should be a good game and I think it will come down to the last three possessions.

Reply #829734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dillon, Teys and Sloan could be all out and Mudronja would still be DNP CD.

"unable to match the tempo of the Breakers last game"

This wasn't discussed much post game, but the Breakers pace was impressive and this probably contributed to them wearing down over the course of the game. In fairness to Adelaide, only the Hawks or United can, at this stage, keep up with that Breakers’ tempo.

Reply #829735 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Been thinking about iverson

Wetzell > iverson

I point this out bc I understand wetzell is a nz local who wasn't pursued bc of cash. But would surely be less than iverson.

And Shamir would have been familiar with both as wetzell was in auckland for much of the off season.

Maybe he has a blinder.

Reply #829739 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I am a bit concerned about this game.

Both Websters are back which is a dangerous back court.

Iverson should improve.

NZ are probably angry after losing that last game with the no-call.

I am interested to see what adjustments Henry will make our 'lockdown' guards do to counter NZ's scorers.

Reply #829740 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Dickbroker is concerned. Real life problems in Adelaide.

Reply #829741 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

ADL odds have dropped from 1.90 to 1.5x.

Reply #829743 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Typo above.

NZB odds have dropped from 1.90 to 1.5x!

Reply #829744 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I point this out bc I understand wetzell is a nz local who wasn't pursued bc of cash. But would surely be less than iverson.
How do you figure that?

Reply #829745 | Report this post

Anonn  
Years ago

Loving crocker and IH - chemistry.crocker so smart... absolute jet ....

Reply #829746 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

The best D Adelaide have played for a long time in the first quarter.

Reply #829747 | Report this post

Agh6  
Years ago

Sixers looking in control. Come on. Lets make some nosiee

Reply #829748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries, !!!

Reply #829751 | Report this post

Agh6  
Years ago

Game 1 doubters .. Sixers are tough... defensively far away improvement... Patterson is done...

Reply #829752 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Iverson

Why is it that people felt he needed more than 1 game?

Surely 30 seconds is enough to know.

Reply #829753 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This great team defence is beautiful to watch.

Reply #829754 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Not looking good for all those punters who steamed ADL into 1.50 from 1.90 LOL.

Reply #829755 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Err again I meant NZB not ADL.

Reply #829756 | Report this post

Alright?  
Years ago

Lamar looks shocking.
What's happened to him?

Reply #829757 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Again, does Delaney ever play any legal defence!? I feel like he's playing the wrong sport and would be better suited to wrestling, grappling or anything other than basketball? Can’t really fault him though if the refs whistles are silent every time he molests his opponent....

Reply #829758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As well as Adelaide is shooting and as poorly as the Breakers have shot, their lead is too small. Get Pinder off the floor and possibly Sloan, build out the lead out to 20 because the Breakers will shoot better at some point.

Reply #829759 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Bach the Great Dane looks to be a great find.
3 & D

NZ playing pretty terrible but with so much fire power they are never truly out of the game.
Finn Diesel with some energy at both ends.

Reply #829763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And there you have it. 36ers lucky the lead is 6 and not 3. Adelaide are much better than last year but it's like they just lack depth in 1-2 positions that undoes them.

Reply #829764 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Pinder unwatchably bad.
Crocker a cool guy.

Reply #829765 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

In Lamar's first season at the Bullets he came in overweight and a little underdone. Looked average for a few weeks from memory. I wouldn't write him off yet.

Reply #829767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Why is it that people felt he needed more than 1 game?"

He's setting some monster screens and his defence is much better. I think he’s struggling with NBL pace and his condition isn’t great. But if he can find his feet he will create a lot of space for the Webster bros and Patterson on the on ball, which will open the shooters.

Reply #829768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Alright Lamar hss been in a good paddock OK.

Reply #829770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

# cavolo, I tend to agree with you, going to watch closely in second half. He hooks on offence as well. As you say continue it if you get away with it.

Reply #829771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Connor Henry has the 36ers playing much better defence (or any defence at all!), but I really like some of his sets. They're quite simple actions, but he’s got them executing it well.

Reply #829772 | Report this post

Agh6  
Years ago

Patterson iverson pinder son - awful...

Reply #829774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" In Lamar's first season at the Bullets he came in overweight and a little underdone. Looked average for a few weeks from memory. I wouldn't write him off yet."

He did the same last year as well, didn't he? It’s like it’s his thing. How bad in shape can I be in game 1 and make first team All NBL?

Reply #829775 | Report this post

shake n bake  
Years ago

Are Corey and Tai Wesley brothers? Dwayne hasn't pointed it out enough?

Reply #829777 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

Pinder could be the worst player i've ever watched play the game of basketball.

Reply #829778 | Report this post

shake n bake  
Years ago

*Webster

Reply #829779 | Report this post

Alright?  
Years ago

Well Lamar's not going to be All—NBL is he stays on the bench.
He’s been sitting since half way through the second.

Reply #829783 | Report this post

Agh6  
Years ago

Lamar something not right. Giving nothing...

Reply #829784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the refs robbed Lamar of his mojo as well as a foul and a win last game.

Reply #829785 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

Looks a bit like Lamar Fatterson so far

Reply #829786 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What a turning point end of a third quarter.

Patterson Adelaide's MVP, lazy fat fuck.

Reply #829787 | Report this post

Agh6  
Years ago

Airballllllll..... Sloan yessssss
Sixers looking to swept NZ ...
Feeling it ....cant contain giddey .. let's go....lets go....

Reply #829788 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Hump and Giddey will be in the NBA in the next few years.

Reply #829789 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Great game, but Sixers management need to send NBL HQ a compilation of all the moving screens Loe and Colton are setting!

Reply #829790 | Report this post

Agh6  
Years ago

Calling it Sixers

Reply #829791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Iverson has 12 and 10, and one of the few Breakers who have a positive +/-. Breakers need Patterson to get comfortable and playing well.

Reply #829792 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

The composure from Giddey. Next level.

Reply #829793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes and Delaney fouls all the time, fouls early to put off attacking player.

Sixers looking great, I tipped the above. Love the work of the new coach, some coaches could learn a bit on his subbing. Giddey and Humphries looking unstoppable. Love the way Dech goes about it. Imports now showing enough and Johnson great and bit players just doing what is required.

NZ lot work to do. Got some class players but not happening.

Reply #829794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patterson is fat. Sixers making the cocksmoker low lives on this page eat their words.

Reply #829795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man, that was a frustrating game for Breakers fans. The team just never got any momentum going.

There are certainly some cobwebs but two things that stuck out that made sure the 36ers were always comfortable was Giddey's ability to make plays (there’s not many seasoned pros in this league who take Abercrombie once let alone multiple times) and Humphries defence. I thought Henry coached well too, removing Giddey late when he made back to back turnovers then inserting him back in. Having said that, it still feels like the 36ers are missing something. Pinder looked ugly out there and it was still a relatively narrow margin given how poorly the Breakers shot the ball and how well Adelaide did at times. Maybe I’m a pessimist but there’s something missing with this Adelaide team that may mean they miss the playoffs at the end.

Reply #829796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No 14y.os on here picking on Humphries anymore?

Kentucky
NBL Rookie of the year
G league
NBA
NBL avg like 18/8/3/4 60+%fg

an the whole time been talked at like his a bum.

Reply #829797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One thing though: if we compare LaMelo and Giddey, Giddey >>> LaMelo.

Reply #829798 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

What is the point of going to the review if the review gets it wrong?

Josh Giddy touched it last, but NZ18 touched the ball, he wasn't in play. NZ18 started his jump with one foot out of court. As soon as he touched the ball, it is Sixers ball

Reply #829799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do teams still play Vengaboys at games? Get it right Adelaide, this ain't 2005.

Reply #829800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" NBL Rookie of the year"

You have to admit that was a puss weak rookie class.

Humphries has always had talent. Maybe that stint at Kentucky knocked his confidence. But his G League coaches did well. He still has a high ceiling. His confidence is sky high right now and if he can maintain this form he may be able to get to the NBA.

Reply #829801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are some stones being thrown on here but the reality is Lamar Patterson has a serious issue with his conditioning, it's just not up to the standard of a professional athlete. Sadly this isn’t new for Lamar. He came in heavy last year for the Bullets and took half the season to get in shape. The Breakers need to get a nutritionist and their rainers to work with him 7 days a week otherwise he’s not worth the big money he’s being paid. He was a waste of space out there tonight

Reply #829802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pinder was +14 in 20 minutes, might look a bit fugly but contributes and I'll back the coaches judgment.

Reply #829803 | Report this post

Mo  
Years ago

How's NZ's new recruit Cream Biggums going?

Reply #829804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" There are some stones being thrown on here but the reality is Lamar Patterson has a serious issue with his conditioning, it's just not up to the standard of a professional athlete. Sadly this isn't new for Lamar."

I think it’s even worse this year. If you read his draft reports it’s a problem he’s had for some time and has held him back in his career. But what we’ve seen the past season or two is terrible for a professional athlete on big money.

Reply #829805 | Report this post

Mo  
Years ago

Brisbane actually got better by losing Patterson. I never thought I'd say that... paying someone that out of shape 700K a year in any league is a risk. Colton is a flop. Big bruiser euroleague center that simply doesn't cut it in the NBA or NBL. Foul prone and clumsy. Humphries chewed him and spat him out.

Lucked out in a year where you can't just fly in another import.

They're stuck with both sadly.

Tai Webster though is a gun and they'll win some games off his back but cannot see them making the playoffs.

Reply #829806 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Do teams still play Vengaboys at games? Get it right Adelaide, this ain't 2005."

Incredibly future-focussed by 36ers IMO considering it's 1955 in Adelaide

Reply #829807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Brisbane actually got better by losing Patterson. I never thought I'd say that"
I agree! Law is definitely an upgrade so far.

Reply #829808 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Loving the 6ers defence, Humphries and Dech huge. May be wrong on my early Crocker call, did good things both ends tonight. But still, the test will be on the road. Gonna be a lengthy road spell but at least this home stretch is allowing time to gel. Giddey was outstanding, even shaking off the "Giddey Curse". My god, Dwayne Russell makes me want to cut my ears off with a blunt butter knife.

Reply #829809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People hating on Patterson ATM. Do people not remember he turns up like this every year. And still balls. Iverson looked better today but keen to see him against Landale or Oliver. I wonder if NZ are already looking at NBL cup and having a replacement ready for thst. It's still early days for NZ but like Cairns cannot defend a traffic cone at the moment

Reply #829810 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" Maybe I'm a pessimist but there’s something missing with this Adelaide team that may mean they miss the playoffs at the end."
A three point sharp shooter, lockdown perimeter defender (3&D type/ meant to be covered by Sloan and Crocker) and a backup defensive big that do the dirty work (Dan Trist/Dusty Richard style)

DJ is the most trust worthy three point shooter and we rely on Pinder running around like a chicken (OG was Kyei) to cover backup C/PF minutes. Says a lot compared to your stacked Melbourne United’s and your well oiled machine Wildcats

Reply #829811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack your Kiss of Death continues

Reply #829812 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Dusty Rychart lol

Reply #829813 | Report this post

Agh6  
Years ago

What does muddy have to do to get minutes... before teys before dillon before pinder - otherwise rotations are good and always seem to uptempo...

Reply #829815 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Like to see mcvay get pinders minutes... same hustle but better shooter.. defensively Jack probably exceeds as well... better body language... kid needs confidence infuse ... Jack has experience.

Reply #829816 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

People hating on Patterson ATM. Do people not remember he turns up like this every year. And still balls.

The point is he's a very unprofessional professional. You don't treat the beginning of the season proper as the pre-season. Losses now due to his lack of conditioning may cost the Breakers a playoff spot. In fact it happened last season when his Bullets missed out on a post-season appearance by one win.

Reply #829819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can spot the single people on here.

Reply #829820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United and Sixers in the grand final

Reply #829821 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Not as silly around.... giddey and Humphries with DJ in career best form ... write off sixersat your peril - had all the answers against NZ... who near all experts rate very highly .. crocker and Sloan just building very nicely and Dech master recruit .. JVG haters gone very quiet - most knowlegdeable fans in NBL can feel it ... King Henry...

Reply #829823 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Finally we have a 36 ers team that plays real defence and even was able to slow Tai Webster who could be up there in season MVP calculations, in last quarter when he looked like might steal the game of Sixers.
Humphries was massive for Sixers and can't remember ever a Sixers big having such under the ring defensive presence.
Recruiting Humphries ,Giddey and Dech was some of Sixers better management decisions.
Looking like Crocker as a cheap import might work but although that 3 from Sloan in last was huge still not sold on Sloan as still lacking penetration and D very average.
Having a coach that wants to coach and not be a referee critic is a plus as well.
Having watched Ere play at Sixers I, feel your frustration at Patterson turning up in that condition.

Reply #829824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sloan was hyped up & didn't deliver. Need to stop hyping those old former nba players until they actually do something

Reply #829827 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Adelaide showed they won't roll over. Congrats on the W, well deserved.

NZ still looking rusty and disorganized.
They'll figure it out but hopefully that's sooner rather than later or they'll be just missing out on the playoffs like last season.
Iverson with a massive improvement on the last game.

Reply #829829 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

Good entertaining game... very pleased with the season overall, most games were tight contests and really enjoyed watching emerging local talents as opposed to some overhyped imports - felt sorry for Patterson but he really looked as if he didn't belong

Reply #829830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree about the locals. NBL needs to reconsider the 3 import rule.

Reply #829833 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

It definitely looked like a different 36ers out there than the Joey Wright teams, no more playing with a chip on their shoulder, players smiling, minimal flexing (Hump has a reason to flex when he's blocking shots like that as opposed to flexing when you're down 10). I like it.

Reply #829839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
Over hyped cheap imports not as good as hungry locals. Get back to 10 men squads plus next star. Still early days in the season yes, I've already admitted to eating humble pie re Humphries and JVG. It’s all looking good for Sixers.

Reply #829840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beat easily by United ,

SEM hit FT's they would have won game 2 - lucky win in 2Xot

Lucky to win Game 2 v SEM

Refs choked in first NZ game giving the 36ers a win

Just got over the line against NZ in Game 2 with Patterson giving 0 points

Dont go booking finals tickets just yet

Humphries is only looking do good on D due to his blocks. He is only blocking shots because their guards are blowing past the 36ers guards on the perimeter. Its good that he is blocking shots but that was missing in the Joey Wright era because he had guards who played D.

Reply #829844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers playing much better with a shorter rotation.
Henry has got it right.

Reply #829848 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Home games v away games

Reply #829849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

##844, relax Joey, you sure you have been watching.

Reply #829852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some people have an unhealthy obsession with Joey Wright.
He is gone.

Reply #829866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patterson has copped it on social media. Last year he was a bit tubby, but this year he's seriously out of shape. Not only is it disrespectful to his team who have invested in him, but it’s also disrespectful to the league and his opponents. It will be interesting to see how quickly he can turn it around. The Breakers were in a much bigger hole last year and seriously turned it around so I have confidence that Shamir will manage somehow.

Reply #829890 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It was good to see Shamir take Patterson out of the game late humiliates him and says to his teammates it doesn't matter who you are if you're fitness/attitude/play is poor you will get dragged.

On the win I was very impressed with the Sixers and how they won this game. Sure big lead early but NZB came back got to within a basket but then we cranked up the defence (extraordinary thing to say for an Adelaide team) and didn't panic and pushed the lead back out. The defence from Humphries, Dech & Crocker was impressive.

Early stages yet 3-2 record with two more against the Kings at home to come but Henry has got the team playing a positive brand of basketball focused on defence which was his trademark. Really glad to see.

Reply #829891 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Sloans D on the on ball screen was very ordinary. He loses position badly and ends up behind Webster after the screen. Was lucky Humphries and Crocker could help him out. It is bizarre watching him try to get over the top of the screen, is unable to get in front of the player.

Reply #829892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sloans D is non existent

Adnam and Moller are giving their teams more than the 36er imports to date

Reply #829902 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

All very positive.all very early so expect things to even get better. Don't understand why so many so quick to be critical of basically whole new system... Sixers are real deal ... in and outside game and bad ass defence to choke any threats... 2 for 2 over kings shouldn't be difficult.. they not deep enough to bother Sixers 5 - 2 start to season thats a decent launch pad .... bring it on ... giddey up ...

Reply #829904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac Humphries is a very good basketball player

Reply #829907 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Adelaide complaining about their imports.

Have you seen the Breakers imports?

Reply #829912 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's yet to bee seen how the Sixers perform on the road.

Reply #829915 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

^ No sh$t Perthworld.

Reply #829989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

* no shit

Reply #829995 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:40 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754